PDA

View Full Version : New DLP HDMI TV

Not So Fast
08-30-2007, 11:53 PM
I have been wanting one for some while now and finally did. Aftre selling the Rhino last week it all came together this week, Soundbank delivered today my Samsung hlt 6178 S LED LIGHT ENGINE DLP 61"and matching table after watching on this after noon and evening I am amazed I waited this long, simply put AWESOME especially aftr getting the HDMI cable hookup, very sweet, very!!!!!!!!!!! SPORTS @ MOUNTAIN @ OCEAN shots are sureal nodoubt, Thanks to JYRUIZ and JOSH at SoundBank. Good info and advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF
REVIEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
AFTER 3 DAYS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is without a doubt the most impressive advancement the my old ass has seen. I turned on the Cal/Tenn. game last nite and holy crap, it was spellbinding. The picture (whatever resolution or bandwidth it was) was just hard to take your eyes off of, DAMN, the clarity and the colors of a football game is hard to imagine. If it sounds like I'm gushing,well I am!! For the satisfaction factor this tops anything I've ever puchased (maybe not my 63 Sport Fury/426 wedge, 112mph@12.60sec. in 1963 no less!!) including a lot of new cars, boats, Rhinos, motorcycles, sound systems. The WOW factor of sitting in your own home and seeing this is to me just an incredible experience. Problem is that all non HD programs look like a beer with no head on it or a flat chested (.) (.) you know what.
Best thing I've bought in quite some time, cant wait fot the Chargers game in HD!!!!!!!!!! NSF PS Cal is explosive!!!!!!!!!

BoatPI
08-31-2007, 05:07 AM
But why a DLP, they are giving them away as i understand about to stop production. In todays ads you can get a new Panasonic plasma 50" for
$1,299.

OGShocker
08-31-2007, 05:18 AM
I have been wanting one for some while now and finally did. Aftre selling the Rhino last week it all came together this week, Soundbank delivered today my Samsung hlt 6178 S LED LIGHT ENGINE DLP 61"and matching table after watching on this after noon and evening I am amazed I waited this long, simply put AWESOME especially aftr getting the HDMI cable hookup, very sweet, very!!!!!!!!!!! SPORTS @ MOUNTAIN @ OCEAN shots are sureal nodoubt, Thanks to JYRUIZ and JOSH at SoundBank. Good info and advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF
Good for you! Hope you enjoy the Raider games this season!
As in the "Bolts" kickin' their azzes!!:D

TCN
08-31-2007, 05:56 AM
We have that TV too and it is great. We had the 720 and had a few problems due to first generation but they warranteed it for us and upgraded to the 1080p and the picture is sooooo much better. Costco has the whole set up for under 2,500 with the HDMI cable pack, just saw it yesterday. Nick

Redwing247
08-31-2007, 06:23 AM
What's new ???:D
Enjoy the TV, now don't stop there, make sure don't skimp on the audio system.

Not So Fast
08-31-2007, 06:48 AM
But why a DLP, they are giving them away as i understand about to stop production. In todays ads you can get a new Panasonic plasma 50" for
$1,299.
Looked at them all and Plasma at the 60" size was over priced and not many to choose from IMO, so the new DLP seemed right, especially with the newer light source.
As far as enjoying the Raiders, HAH HAH;)
Sound system I had already, which is Polk Audio, Yamaha Reciever, small but sounds good to me. The biggest thing is the picture when the signal is right, It is just unbelievable and we're enjoying the heck out of it!!:D
When you live up here delivery for any large item is a bitch so to save a couple of hundy's over having SoundBank do it all made it so much easier. They matched Best Buys price anyway. I could have went to say, Buy.Com for the same set and saved that much but then shipping, set up etc. became a problem, nope, for me its peace of mind.
As I said I cant believe I've waited this long but then I stayed with that lousy ass NPG Cable for 4 years before I switched to Direct TV which is head and shoulders better.
If you dont have Hi Def and can afford it you are really cheating yourself out of a veiwing pleasure I've never experienced before, I watch anything now just to see the picture. Thanks, NSF

Ms.Havasu
08-31-2007, 06:55 AM
We use soundbank for everything, they are great.
Michele

Jyruiz
08-31-2007, 07:07 AM
$1,299.
They are giving the 720p and color wheel models away and will be doing away with them in the near future, but DLP is not going anywhere any time soon.

BoatPI
08-31-2007, 07:14 AM
If you want sound, try the Yamaha RXV-2600 or RXV-2700.

a catered life
08-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Good for you! Hope you enjoy the Raider games this season!
raider hater

a catered life
08-31-2007, 07:16 AM
Looked at them all and Plasma at the 60" size was over priced and not many to choose from IMO, so the new DLP seemed right, especially with the newer light source.
As far as enjoying the Raiders, HAH HAH;)
Sound system I had already, which is Polk Audio, Yamaha Reciever, small but sounds good to me. The biggest thing is the picture when the signal is right, It is just unbelievable and we're enjoying the heck out of it!!:D
When you live up here delivery for any large item is a bitch so to save a couple of hundy's over having SoundBank do it all made it so much easier. They matched Best Buys price anyway. I could have went to say, Buy.Com for the same set and saved that much but then shipping, set up etc. became a problem, nope, for me its peace of mind.
As I said I cant believe I've waited this long but then I stayed with that lousy ass NPG Cable for 4 years before I switched to Direct TV which is head and shoulders better.
If you dont have Hi Def and can afford it you are really cheating yourself out of a veiwing pleasure I've never experienced before, I watch anything now just to see the picture. Thanks, NSF
yea we just got the hd upgrade and are now in the market for a new screen...is there any info you can give me that you found out while looks for your set

BoatPI
08-31-2007, 07:24 AM
And also in this wekends ads is a 58" Panasonic plasma for $2,300. That is a big screen.

Not So Fast
08-31-2007, 08:02 AM
yea we just got the hd upgrade and are now in the market for a new screen...is there any info you can give me that you found out while looks for your set
After looking at quite a few brands and types (of which there are many , too many for the untrained eye) I thought that after talking to guys like Juan (pretty into electronics) that this newest model DLP with the LED Light engine and its rated 60,000 hrs life was the way to go. Samsung seems like the Industry leader in this field to me so that is who we went with. I was looking to go monster big likw 72 but in reality it would have been to BIG, the 61" seems to fill the room and with the quality and very bright colors it seems larger than life. The one thing I wish is the picture providers would do is unify thei delivery in terms of format, I mean some switch back and forth from full 16.9, header bars side or top & bottom, crop, stretch etc. That is coming ( Direct TV is said to be adding 76 more HD channels) I would assume but this technology has progressed very fast and is at last becoming something that once you see it you just cant watch anything else IMO. Like I said I tend to watch ANYTHING in HD, like the OPEN right now, crap its like you are sitting court side and WHAT COLOR, AMAZING!! Good luck to you, Bobby

Jyruiz
08-31-2007, 08:08 AM
After looking at quite a few brands and types (of which there are many , too many for the untrained eye) I thought that after talking to guys like Juan (pretty into electronics) that this newest model DLP with the LED Light engine and its rated 60,000 hrs life was the way to go. Samsung seems like the Industry leader in this field to me so that is who we went with. I was looking to go monster big likw 72 but in reality it would have been to BIG, the 61" seems to fill the room and with the quality and very bright colors it seems larger than life. The one thing I wish is the picture providers would do is unify thei delivery in terms of format, I mean some switch back and forth from full 16.9, header bars side or top & bottom, crop, stretch etc. That is coming ( Direct TV is said to be adding 76 more HD channels) I would assume but this technology has progressed very fast and is at last becoming something that once you see it you just cant watch anything else IMO. Like I said I tend to watch ANYTHING in HD, like the OPEN right now, crap its like you are sitting court side and WHAT COLOR, AMAZING!! Good luck to you, Bobby
Not all electronics, just home theater. :)

Buster
08-31-2007, 09:57 AM
NSF, if you want to really see what your new TV will do go get a BluRay or HD DVD player and watch a movie in true 1080P. The broadcast feeds are only 720P or Discovery at 1080i. 1080P is twice the resolution. The difference is just amazing.
Enjoy your new toy...

Not So Fast
08-31-2007, 11:51 AM
NSF, if you want to really see what your new TV will do go get a BluRay or HD DVD player and watch a movie in true 1080P. The broadcast feeds are only 720P or Discovery at 1080i. 1080P is twice the resolution. The difference is just amazing.
Enjoy your new toy...
Thanks, and yeah I guess a HD DVD player would be next huh, always something. its sort of hard to believe the picture coild improve at this point but I'll try anything.This model TV did come as Blue Ray (whatever the hell that is) but we went with this one. It is ready even for 3D (whats next) geeze!! Looking forward to the Football games this weekend and the D-backs of course:D GO CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF

Jyruiz
08-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Last nights Chargers preseason game on CBS looked real good, almost full 1920x1080i signal. The Raiders game on KTLA also looked real good.

BoatPI
08-31-2007, 12:14 PM
HD NET is also 1080i, just incredible too.

Jyruiz
08-31-2007, 12:27 PM
DirecTV's standard HD package.
ESPN & ESP2 720p
Universal HD 1080i
TNT HD 1080i
HDNET & HDNET Movies 1080i
Discovery HD 1080i
But none of it matters as of right now, none of it is really HD, the signal is waterdown. Hopefully when DirecTV goes MPEG 4, they will increase the signal to at least 1440x1080.

Not So Fast
08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
DirecTV's standard HD package.
ESPN & ESP2 720p
Universal HD 1080i
TNT HD 1080i
HDNET & HDNET Movies 1080i
Discovery HD 1080i
But none of it matters as of right now, none of it is really HD, the signal is waterdown. Hopefully when DirecTV goes MPEG 4, they will increase the signal to at least 1440x1080.
WHOA,WHOA what the hell did you say. :confused: Does this mean the picture will get better yet:D :D All I know is I LIKEY!!!!!!!;) NSF

Jyruiz
08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
WHOA,WHOA what the hell did you say. :confused: Does this mean the picture will get better yet:D :D All I know is I LIKEY!!!!!!!;) NSF
We can only hope, right now, DirecTV is only sending 1280x1080. You can totally notice it in fast moving action or when the camera pans fast from one side to another, the picture gets all pixilated. It gets even worse and they compress the signal even more on Sundays during football season because they don't have enough bandwidth. That is one of the reasons they have launched two new birds/Sats and are going to MPEG 4 besides adding more HD channels.
I remember when they first launched HDNet, it looked really good, it has been sad to watch the signal get worse and worse. So I hope it comes back how it use to be.

Not So Fast
08-31-2007, 03:36 PM
We can only hope, right now, DirecTV is only sending 1280x1080. You can totally notice it in fast moving action or when the camera pans fast from one side to another, the picture gets all pixilated. It gets even worse and they compress the signal even more on Sundays during football season because they don't have enough bandwidth. That is one of the reasons they have launched two new birds/Sats and are going to MPEG 4 besides adding more HD channels.
I remember when they first launched HDNet, it looked really good, it has been sad to watch the signal get worse and worse. So I hope it comes back how it use to be.
At the risk of calling you a nerd Juan J/K:D :D !!! How or where do you find out all of this type of stuff. All I can go buy is what the old eyes see and yes TNT and Discovery Theater (?) are really, really good pictures. When they advertise the Planet Earth series that is available on DVD it blows me away!! Seriously how do you find out about these things:confused: NSF

Jyruiz
08-31-2007, 03:51 PM
At the risk of calling you a nerd Juan J/K:D :D !!! How or where do you find out all of this type of stuff. All I can go buy is what the old eyes see and yes TNT and Discovery Theater (?) are really, really good pictures. When they advertise the Planet Earth series that is available on DVD it blows me away!! Seriously how do you find out about these things:confused: NSF
It's called the INTERNET Bobby. Haha, just kidding.:D I am a member of a couple of forums that are all about home theater. Home theater has been a hobbie of mine since 1997 and have had the opportunity to be involved in testing and tweaking of displays/TV's as well as other home theater equipment.

Jyruiz
08-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Congrats on the new set. I'm almost ready to replace my older Hitachi rear projection. When I do, I'm giving jyruiz my credit card and having him pick my set. :D
Lol.

78Hondo Cruiser
08-31-2007, 11:55 PM
I have loved my DLP Mits since we got it. The best is when the Hi Def haters come over and I change from their crappy view to the new improved HD view. I have changed many opinions of who thought HD was fake. LOL wife says I watch too much TV............Oh well!

BajaMike
09-01-2007, 12:03 AM
I just got a Sony Bravia 46" LCD, 1080p at Cosco, and I've got the Cox DVR, digital HD service.
The digital channels are great (the 700 channels) but the other non-HD channels look like crap....worse then the old TV.
Is there any way to fix that??
:confused:

Jyruiz
09-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I just got a Sony Bravia 46" LCD, 1080p at Cosco, and I've got the Cox DVR, digital HD service.
The digital channels are great (the 700 channels) but the other non-HD channels look like crap....worse then the old TV.
Is there any way to fix that??
:confused:
Nice set, I got to do a standard calibration on my sisters who has one. You will never be able to make it look as good as HD or DVD, but you can improve the picture. Look for a DVD called Digital Video Essentials, AVIA or Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up. Go to the video section of those DVDs and it will explain and walk you though the calibration. After I was done with my sisters set, she thought it was way better than before.

Spotondl
09-01-2007, 10:08 AM
If you have a tuner you can pull true HD off the airwaves from your local stations with one of these (http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB4_HDTV_antenna.html). The local stations broadcast a UHF signal that is almost full bandwidth HD... Caveat is that you can only get local stations....

Not So Fast
09-02-2007, 08:15 AM
FYI, see my review!! in first post #1 <<<>>>AWESOME!!! NSF

It's all Good
09-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Great TV. We just got the HL-T6189S. Also, looking forward to the additional satellites DirecTV will be putting online.
These guys are the masters of calibrating the Samsung DLP sets, and here are some starter settings:
Avical (http://www.avical.com/articles/samsung_hl-t_and_hl-s_dlp_starter_settings.html)
DBS Talk (http://www.dbstalk.com) is a great source for DirecTV information.

Mrs.Moose on the loose
09-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Well I work at costco and so far everyone in our area buys there TV's there. The price is good.
I am sure most of you know but for anyone who doesn't, no matter if you buy a Plasma or HDTV or etc, you know not to lay them flat to transport, it ruins them. I see it everyday and everyday we get some back. Enjoy it.

bajaed
09-02-2007, 08:47 PM
58" plasma for $2,300? That can't be right. I live in the mid-west and it seems that Hi-Def prices are a lot lower on the west coast, whats the deal?

Jyruiz
09-02-2007, 10:13 PM
58" plasma for $2,300? That can't be right. I live in the mid-west and it seems that Hi-Def prices are a lot lower on the west coast, whats the deal?
Being the the new models have only been out for a little bit, I am pretty sure $2300 is for last years model.

GAME TIME
09-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Question...for Directv subscribers, what's the deal with the HD signal? I know it's a monthly fee but do you have to buy all new equipment?

Baja Big Dog
09-02-2007, 11:11 PM
There stolen!!:eek:

Jyruiz
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Question...for Directv subscribers, what's the deal with the HD signal? I know it's a monthly fee but do you have to buy all new equipment?
DIRECTV HD receiver— model HR20 or H20.
5-LNB satellite dish
B-Band Converter module
You can still use an older receiver with a 3LNB oval dish, but you will not be able to get the new HD channels being launched next month.
Call them and ask them to upgrade you, if you have been a customer for a long time, it will not cost you a thing.

Tequila-John
09-03-2007, 09:52 AM
5-LNB satellite dish
B-Band Converter module
You can still use an older receiver with a 3LNB oval dish, but you will not be able to get the new HD channels being launched next month.
Call them and ask them to upgrade you, if you have been a customer for a long time, it will not cost you a thing.
Nice set up bud!

GAME TIME
09-04-2007, 01:33 PM
5-LNB satellite dish
B-Band Converter module
I've been a long time customer. They are telling me it will cost $299. Is that right? Did anyone else get their upgrade for free?

Jyruiz
09-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I've been a long time customer. They are telling me it will cost $299. Is that right? Did anyone else get their upgrade for free?
I got my upgrade for free, but I already had HD so I went from and HD receiver to an HD DVR. At first they would only take $100.00 off, so I said forget it. I called back a day later and told them I was canceling my membership, when they asked why, I said I was going with Dish because I was going to get everything, all the hardware, installationand and an HD DRV for $49.99 if I signed up for a two year contract. Well, after that, they said if we give you all the stuff for free will you stay with us? I said sure, but I have been a customer for almost 10 years, I should not have to sign a contract. They said good enough and all I had to pay was 19.99 for the install.
Try it, let us know what happens.

cc322
09-05-2007, 04:30 AM
Just picked up a Vizio 42" lcd 1080 for 950.00 dont know much about it but the price sure seemed good. Now gotta find someone to hang it on the wall.

Riveratz
09-05-2007, 04:47 AM
Just picked up a Vizio 42" lcd 1080 for 950.00 dont know much about it but the price sure seemed good. Now gotta find someone to hang it on the wall.
We hang Flat panel TV's in CA and Lake Havasu. Give me a call.

Jyruiz
09-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Go to there website and purchase the extended warranty. Hanging it on the wall is easy, it is running the cables through the wall that takes a little more work.

duner21
09-05-2007, 08:00 AM
I have a 62inch dlp mits and it rocks. The pic quality is just amazing when you are watching hd or an hddvd or blue-ray. It is worth every penny you pay! It i scarzy what hdmi cables cost but they are worth it!

cc322
09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
We hang Flat panel TV's in CA and Lake Havasu. Give me a call.
Where in ca do you work?

GAME TIME
09-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I got my upgrade for free, but I already had HD so I went from and HD receiver to an HD DVR. At first they would only take $100.00 off, so I said forget it. I called back a day later and told them I was canceling my membership, when they asked why, I said I was going with Dish because I was going to get everything, all the hardware, installationand and an HD DRV for $49.99 if I signed up for a two year contract. Well, after that, they said if we give you all the stuff for free will you stay with us? I said sure, but I have been a customer for almost 10 years, I should not have to sign a contract. They said good enough and all I had to pay was 19.99 for the install.
Try it, let us know what happens.
Got it! Did the same thing, only 19.99. Get's installed on Sunday and the tv (went with the same as NSF) is getting delivered tomorrow. Just in time to kick off the new season!!!

Jyruiz
09-05-2007, 09:03 PM
I have a 62inch dlp mits and it rocks. The pic quality is just amazing when you are watching hd or an hddvd or blue-ray. It is worth every penny you pay! It i scarzy what hdmi cables cost but they are worth it!
Get your cables here for 50 to 70 percent less,
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&style=
scroll down to see shorter sizes.

Jyruiz
09-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Got it! Did the same thing, only 19.99. Get's installed on Sunday and the tv (went with the same as NSF) is getting delivered tomorrow. Just in time to kick off the new season!!!
Glad you got the same deal.

Not So Fast
09-06-2007, 06:49 AM
GT-Good luck with it!! My only gripe is that non-HD channels look pretty bad (not the tv's fault) and WHY is the volume level so much lower on HD channels, it is LOUD when it goes back and forth and i do have the auotmatic sound level set to on. Cant wait for the other HD channels!!! NSF

Jyruiz
09-06-2007, 06:58 AM
GT-Good luck with it!! My only gripe is that non-HD channels look pretty bad (not the tv's fault) and WHY is the volume level so much lower on HD channels, it is LOUD when it goes back and forth and i do have the auotmatic sound level set to on. Cant wait for the other HD channels!!! NSF
Bobby,
next time I am in town and have some spare time, I wll give you a call to do a standard calibration on your set and improve the picture some.

Jyruiz
09-06-2007, 07:01 AM
HD channels are in Dolby Digital, standard definition is usually only in Dolby Stereo.
True, but the DD is down mixed to stereo when outputting through the RCA connections. This is what causes the volume difference. It is not always like that on every TV, on mine, some HD channels are louder than the regular ones, so it also has to do with the TV as well.

Not So Fast
09-06-2007, 07:03 AM
True, but the DD is down mixed to stereo when outputting through the RCA connections. This is what causes the volume difference.
Thanks Juan, can the difference in volume be adjusted to not be so drastic:idea: Bobby

Jyruiz
09-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks Juan, can the difference in volume be adjusted to not be so drastic:idea: Bobby
Probably not.

Not So Fast
09-06-2007, 07:08 AM
Probably not.
Darn, oh well, it's worth it and a small price to pay for such an amazing picture. I probably wont be watching much that is not HD after they add the new channels anyway, sort of spoils you BIG TIME!!!!!!!!! NSF

Jyruiz
09-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Darn, oh well, it's worth it and a small price to pay for such an amazing picture. I probably wont be watching much that is not HD after they add the new channels anyway, sort of spoils you BIG TIME!!!!!!!!! NSF
It does, I remember back in 99 when there was very little HD content. Now, almost everything I watch is in HD.