PDA

View Full Version : Just Bailed On My Stock Funds

Ion
09-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Tired of riding the roller coaster! Even though Bernanke might lower the prime a 1/4 or 1/2 point next week, which might result in some buying, the lousy sub-prime mess will likely continue to trickle down into substantial sectors of our economy. Hell...even the evil "R" word has been muttered more and more lately. So, as the stocks drop, the bond & money market yeilds rise. That's where I'll be, waiting out the storm.
Anyone care to speculate?

Havasu_Dreamin
09-10-2007, 09:35 AM
The DOW closed at 11, 396 on 9-11-06 and opened today at 13,113. A 15% increase. The DOW closed at 10, 678 on 9-9-05. An increase of 22.8%....I aint worried...

Lightning
09-10-2007, 10:35 AM
The market goes up and down and up and down...and over time goes up. Stay invested in good companies for the long haul and you'll be fine. But then again, what do I know :confused: :D

centerhill condor
09-10-2007, 11:14 AM
at some point, more cheap debt won't help the market. I think a rate cut and injecting more cheap debt are exactly what the market doesn't need. Remember all this is due to cheap money looking for higher returns.
A market without risks is like a church without sin...
In the end we'll have cheapened currency and higher rates. Gov't manipulation of the market doesn't work 'cause everybody gets greedy!
You're supposed to sell in May and go away. I'm steppin' into real estate 'cause the price is down.
CC

Stoneman
09-10-2007, 11:14 AM
The market goes up and down and up and down...and over time goes up. Stay invested in good companies for the long haul and you'll be fine. But then again, what do I know :confused: :D
I've been shorting GM, HOG. for the last week!;)

totenhosen
09-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Tired of riding the roller coaster! Even though Bernanke might lower the prime a 1/4 or 1/2 point next week, which might result in some buying, the lousy sub-prime mess will likely continue to trickle down into substantial sectors of our economy. Hell...even the evil "R" word has been muttered more and more lately. So, as the stocks drop, the bond & money market yeilds rise. That's where I'll be, waiting out the storm.
Anyone care to speculate?
I guess you can move your money into havasu real estate because the prices will never go down there. ;)

MikeF
09-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm up in the last 3 weeks w/ my purchases by quite a bit.......Now not to get too greedy and pull the $ off the table.:idea: :D

talkinghead
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Down = buying opportunities

TRIMMIN
09-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Put 25% in gold

shueman
09-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Like climbing stairs while dribbling a b'ball....:idea: ;)

INSman
09-10-2007, 08:12 PM
The DOW closed at 11, 396 on 9-11-06 and opened today at 13,113. A 15% increase. The DOW closed at 10, 678 on 9-9-05. An increase of 22.8%....I aint worried...
Agreed .... Only worry if you are planning on retiring in the next 6 months, long term you wil do fine.

That Guy
09-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Agreed .... Only worry if you are planning on retiring in the next 6 months, long term you wil do fine.
Exactly....all you do when you panic sell is ensure your losses...if you need short term gains, there are better ways to make money...like Vegas...:D

Ion
09-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Not worried, just can't stand losing my money. I'm taking my gains and keeping them secure, rather than watching them go down the toilet, while the economy figures out how far this subprime mess will trickle down. When the rebound begins, I won't be starting back at square one, or worse, like in '01 when stocks tanked. Remember how long the dow took to get back to 10k? About 3 years! No thanks...

Classic Daycruiser
09-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Interest rates effect the economy.
Interest rates also effect the consumers spending habits.
Interest rates do not effect the consumer saving rate.
Our problems in the mortgage industry today are a result of bad business pratices, that were looked a side by the Government for the last 5 years.
Those most hurt are those in the middle class and the poor. Increasing federal funds rate only hurts the middle class, (since the middle class are those that qualifiy for sub prime loans). It is not the poor who are having trouble with making their sub prime mortgages, it is the middle class.
We have seen this before in the late 60's and 70's when lenders prayed on middle class farmers adding huge debt in farm equipment, then grain prices drop, interest rates went higher, and middle class farmers could not pay their bills.
With Nixon it was the Farms, with Regan it was the unions, with Bush I it was world invasion and war, and Bush II its the housing, war, and high gas prices.
Everybody would like to believe they are upper middle class, but face it 75% of us are middle class.
Does anybody know who they are going to vote for next year?
I've always been a middle class republician, (born that way), but if I don't see more...alot more on my paycheck next year, I could easily become an independent voter.

Ion
09-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Not worried, just can't stand losing my money. I'm taking my gains and keeping them secure, rather than watching them go down the toilet, while the economy figures out how far this subprime mess will trickle down. When the rebound begins, I won't be starting back at square one, or worse, like in '01 when stocks tanked. Remember how long the dow took to get back to 10k? About 3 years! No thanks...

INSman
09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I understand not wanting to lose $$$, nobody likes it. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking some profits and some money off the table but don't agree with being totally OUT of the market at pretty much any time. There are just too many good defensive stocks that do well irrespective of the US economy, interest rates,discretionary spending and what the Dow Jones Industrial Average is doing. Best of luck to you ....

scooooter7
09-10-2007, 08:47 PM
As long as people are working and putting money in on their 401K, the stock market will continue to rise.
Not too long ago things were kinda stagnent, then along came the supposed SS/Retirement problems. The 401K was born so people would invest their own money into their retirement so employers wouldn't have to, and also so employers could use that money to invest instead of their own. Corporations love it.

Ion
09-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I understand not wanting to lose $$$, nobody likes it. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking some profits and some money off the table but don't agree with being totally OUT of the market at pretty much any time. There are just too many good defensive stocks that do well irrespective of the US economy, interest rates,discretionary spending and what the Dow Jones Industrial Average is doing. Best of luck to you ....
I DID keep my balanced index fund intact, in case some good news arises in the interim. Can't put all my eggs in one basket. Actually, they are now in 4, but 3 of them won't develop holes!

YeLLowBoaT
09-10-2007, 09:10 PM
you have not lost anything until you have sold it... same with making money...

INSman
09-11-2007, 06:13 AM
I DID keep my balanced index fund intact, in case some good news arises in the interim. Can't put all my eggs in one basket. Actually, they are now in 4, but 3 of them won't develop holes!
Market up 100 in early trading, hopefully you did not sell yet !! :D
You may want to read Jim Cramers Real Money book, will help you in the future with your investing.

cjordan
09-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Dow is 30 stocks...the annual simple return this century is 1.97% and 3.82% with divs reinvested, the S&P500 this century is .042% from price appreciation and 1.53% with dividends reinvested on an annualized basis....not exactly exciting for the risk...broader, try the Whilshire 5000, its done .910% annualized this century...better off in bonds or even T-Bills!!!! ;) especially considering the risk to get those "aweful" annual returns mentioned....:)

Ion
09-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Market up 100 in early trading, hopefully you did not sell yet !! :D
I did.
I kept my index fund intact, but...I'm sticking to my guns re: protecting my gains from other stock funds. I'm betting what we saw today was just a break in the action (fickle feel-goodies speculating the fed will lower rates, which at present, is ambiguous, at best) and that it's going to get worse before it stabilizes. Once that starts to happen, I'll dive back into the stock fund waters. But for now, my phrase that pays is "capital preservation".

hkunz
09-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Lots of folks lost money back in 00 - 01 because they sold. We recoverd all ours, but we could wait, because it was a retirement program.

MikeF
09-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Just got out of one position. 20% gain realized for the month! Happy accept for the commision cost.
Gonna let the other one ride.
Time will tell.:) Win some, Lose some.

INSman
09-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Market up again today, early this week was not a good time to sell :eek:

INSman
09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh boy, market up HUGE after the 50 basis point cut today and should go up again tomorrow wih all the "shorts" having to cover :eek: :D
I think you missed some BIG gains my friend :(

Ion
09-18-2007, 07:47 PM
As stated in the post about the fed cutting rates, I jumped back in a small to mid cap stock fund before monday's close, so I bought low and now am hoping there's not a big sell-off tomorrow! Made a few scheckles today, buddy! :D

Boatcop
09-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Yep. 335 points today alone.
Just like that roller coaster, the drops can be a little scarey, but in the long run the ride is worth staying on.

Nord
09-18-2007, 09:01 PM
My Hanson closed at 51.75 today............Glad I didn't sell:D