PDA

View Full Version : Just put down my Shephard.......bad guy?

CampbellCarl
09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Just got home from the Vet's office, having a cry and a drink. 'Tramp' was a female Shephard, about 5 yrs when she adopted my weimereiner and me. She was living in an abandon property next door to where I purchased a home about 6 yrs ago. She would bark and run away. Each day, the weimer 'Harley' and I would walk the property while it was in escrow. Each day, Tramp would see us, run up, bark and run away. Several days later, I let the two dogs play and it worked out. That night, I heard a scratching on the door (thought it was Harley at the back door), next morning, Tramp is sleeping on the front porch at old house (she'd followed us home) the night before. Well, I'm not sure who adopted whom, but the dogs have been together ever since. About a year ago, Tramp developed hip dysplasia (sp?) and it's been a down hill battle ever since. Tried glucosamine (sp?) and didn't help. Two weeks ago, she couldn't get up at all and had started to mess herself (both #1 & #2). So, today she went to the dog beach in the sky, I held her and told her I loved her as she took her final breath. It HURTS! Am I a bad guy? Sure feel like shiat right now. Hoping I made the right decision for her and me.
Carl

Kilrtoy
09-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Sorry to hear this,
You did the right thing

thatguy
09-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Just by wondering if you did the right thing, I believe proves you did. You obviously cared about Her, and knew what was best. Sorry for the loss, you gave her a home at the end. That is admirable.
Tommy

Phat Matt
09-10-2007, 06:00 PM
You're not a bad guy in my book.
Sorry about your doggy. :(

Jyruiz
09-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Not a bad guy at all, if anything, you are strong and you did the right thing.

buzzaro
09-10-2007, 06:12 PM
We adopted a shepherd mix about two years ago as a pup and at just over a year old he subluxated his hip. Not sure if I used that right but basically its a slight dislocation, we took him and and it comes down to the fact the he has displasia in both hips. My wife and I have had a lot of time to think about it and hes doing ok right now but for us it came down to two questions: How is the quality of life? and who are you making the decision for?
The first question seems pretty easy to answer but the second one isnt, or at least wasnt/isnt going to be for us.
So we basically we decided that when we are keeping him alive for us and not for him, then its time....not that its going to be any easier. It sounds like you made the best the best decision for your friend and not for you, which in my book is the right thing.

DeltaSigBoater
09-10-2007, 06:13 PM
You did the right thing, sorry for your loss. :(

AZJD
09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Just got home from the Vet's office, having a cry and a drink. 'Tramp' was a female Shephard, about 5 yrs when she adopted my weimereiner and me. She was living in an abandon property next door to where I purchased a home about 6 yrs ago. She would bark and run away. Each day, the weimer 'Harley' and I would walk the property while it was in escrow. Each day, Tramp would see us, run up, bark and run away. Several days later, I let the two dogs play and it worked out. That night, I heard a scratching on the door (thought it was Harley at the back door), next morning, Tramp is sleeping on the front porch at old house (she'd followed us home) the night before. Well, I'm not sure who adopted whom, but the dogs have been together ever since. About a year ago, Tramp developed hip dysplasia (sp?) and it's been a down hill battle ever since. Tried glucosamine (sp?) and didn't help. Two weeks ago, she couldn't get up at all and had started to mess herself (both #1 & #2). So, today she went to the dog beach in the sky, I held her and told her I loved her as she took her final breath. It HURTS! Am I a bad guy? Sure feel like shiat right now. Hoping I made the right decision for her and me.
Carl
You did what she needed, and what she wasn't able to tell you.
Sorry for your pain...............:(

squirt'nmyload
09-10-2007, 06:17 PM
i think you definately did the right thing. as much as you would like to still have her here, just think about the pain and suffering she would be going through.

ol guy
09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Have had to do the same thing and I simpathize with your'e feelings, pets become part of our life and to do that is tough, but you must always think of the quality of life for the dog. She is at the dog beach right now thanking you.Best I can do to help the loss. DOG LOVER

OCMerrill
09-10-2007, 06:42 PM
We went through this about 2 years ago. Yellow lab with hip issues. She was a Shelter- Lab Rescue dog (abandoned as a puppy) and had a very hard first 4 mo's. We battled through all of her behavioral issues and she turned into the best dog anyone could ask for. Practically understood the English language.
But, as the story goes her hips were fawked. She turned a bit aggressive and bit a kid out on a camping trip right in front of my kids. She had been on a series of meds for over a year and we were told they can become mood altering. Unfortunately this was said after the fact.
I had no choice as we had small kids. Laid her on her favorite blanket and I held her the same as you. I must have told her sorry about a thousand times. Difficult deal x 10.
I said to my wife for the next three months I made a huge mistake but it was what our dog needed.
A vet told me Animals will live through agony just to please their masters/owners. If they were wild dogs they would lie down and die but for us humans they try and keep the fight.
So think of your Sheppard dog as sort of a daily personal hero. That's what she was.

CampbellCarl
09-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanx all. I feel a little better alreay. Going to switch from BL to Jack, have a brown water and toast Tramp's life with us.
CC

thatguy
09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanx all. I feel a little better alreay. Going to switch from BL to Jack, have a brown water and toast Tramp's life with us.
CC
Done! Tommy

MBlaster
09-10-2007, 06:47 PM
You are a humanitarian and did the right thing.
Have a drink, you deserve it buddy.

stoker22405
09-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Sorry for your loss....
You did the right thing...

Flyinbowtie
09-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Been down that road with my Shepard, too.
You did the right thing.

GHT
09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
We did the same thing with our Shepard. He was a great dog and we picked him up as a stray and abused at about 3-4 mos old. We had to put him down at 12 yrs. His hips would give out at the slightest step in elevation.
At least he didn't suffer and he brought many years of joy to my family.
Hope you feel better soon and I'm sorry for your loss
Don

redneckcharlie
09-10-2007, 06:54 PM
:( I've had to do the same thing for a few of my pooches. It sucks, big time! But as time goes on, I can still make myself smile and laugh with the memories I have. Thats the good part, those never go away! ;)

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 07:11 PM
It is amazing how we get attached to animals, you did what needed to be done. You gave her a better life for the last 6 yrs and she was a part of yours. It's just the circle of life, some times it is shorter than we would like.
Have a toast to her, that's all you can do.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

WTMFA
09-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I know how you feel. I had to put down one of our two huskys a little more than a year ago. I made sure too look in his eyes as the vet did their thing. As much as it hurt me to do it I know it was the right thing. IMO, we are more humane to animals than we are to people. My father lived with alzheimers for the last 10 years of his life and if he would have known what life was going to be like those last few years I KNOW he would have opted out. Here's to Tramp may he have a never ending supply of bones to chew on!

CampbellCarl
09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Thank you all!
Carl

boatsnblondes
09-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Carl, you did the right thing....even though it is the hardest thing in the world to do. We had two shepherds, most incredible, beautiful dogs I have ever seen...I wanted them to live forever....one day Gus had some swelling around his throat, took him in and it was canine leukemia...he was gone in a month...we put him down also, and cried like babies as the needle went in...he is still buried back behind the family vacation home in Lake Arrowhead...he loved it there...:(

CampbellCarl
09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I've toasted Tramp more than once, she's in a better place, and now I'm off to some grub and beddy bye time.........see ya'll tomorrow!
Carl

just another payment
09-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Keeping her alive would have been selfish, you did the right thing , at least she found someone to love her for the last 6 years. Remember the good times, Putting a pet down is one of the hardest things you will ever have to do, but it also shows how much you really loved her and did not want her to suffer any more.

SOCALDETAIL1
09-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Carl, sorry to hear about this. You gave that dog the best life she could of ever had out on the streets. I always and always will get my dogs off the street or the pound. They are the best pets ever. I will remember her because she kept me company while detailing the Howard, she chilled right under the boat. We had good conversation. Mark

cc322
09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Had to do the same thing last year with our 11 year old female shepard, the hips went out on her. The hard part was everything else was working fine and she just couldnt get up anymore, had her on some steroids which seemed to help for a while but all it did was mask what I knew had to be done. It became a quaility of life question for me so we had no other choice but to put her down :cry: as the vet gave her the shot I held her in my arms and she raised her head as if to say good bye and licked my face one last time. I cryed alot, she was a great member of the family and to everbody she met. I fill your pain but as the old saying goes time does heal. We have a new dog now and I love her to death sorry to hear this about your dog stay strong and remember the good times you spent with her. You did the right thing I was thinking the same thing myself when we had to put ours down. Not trying to make you any sader then you are but this poem got me through.
A DOGS PLEA
BY:ANONYMOUS
Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no
heart in all the world is more grateful for
kindness than the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for
though I might lick your hand between blows,
your patience and understanding will more
quickly teach me the things you would have
me learn. Speak to me often, for your voice
is the world's sweetest music, as you must
know by the fierce wagging of my tail when
your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.
Please take me inside when it is cold and
wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no
longer accustomed to bitter elements.
I ask no greater glory than the privilege of
sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Keep
my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot
tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me
clean food that I may stay well, to romp
and play and do your bidding, to walk by your
side, and stand ready, willing and able to
protect you with my life, should your life
be in danger. And, my friend, when I am
very old, and I no longer enjoy good health,
hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts
to keep me going. I am not having any fun.
Please see that my trusting life is taken
gently, I shall leave this earth knowing with
the last breath I draw that my fate was always
safest in your hands.

MissB
09-10-2007, 08:08 PM
You did the right thing, and at the right time, you knew, and that is what being a pet owner is about. I have an Old (13 this november) Boxer and I can only hope that I will know the signs, and have the courage. Sorry for your loss.:(

PaPaG
09-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Carl
Carl, you adopted a stray, you made Tramp a part of the family..what more can you ask. Lucky Dog, lucky new owners....you did the right thing.. we had to put down 3 of our kids within the past 2 years because of both age and health, hardest thing in the world to do but thank GOD we did it instead of them suffering, Tramp is resting now...without pain.....:(

Havasu1986
09-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Sorry for your loss...I lost my 2 girls in my sig line within 2 months of each other. Marina 7/9 and Xena a week ago. I know what your feeling. :(

OutCole'd
09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Carl, I'm sure that was not an easy decision to make. You did the right thing. Sorry for your loss. :( :(
This thread is tearing me up. I hope I will have the strength when the day comes for our family.

'75 Miller
09-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Bad Guy? Hell no. A bad guy would've let his dog play with the stray during his walks and left her out in the cold once the walk was over, making excuses why she can't come in. You gave her a home, and as a fellow dog-lover I commend you for that.
Sorry for your (and Harley's) loss.

75 spectra V-drive
09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I deread the day I have to put my dog down, been there before , It sucks. you did the right thing with out a doubt.

Titan7
09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
You did the right thing and you gave your pet a great life. Had she remained a stray I doubt she would have lived this long. I admire you for staying with her until the end, not many pet owners can deal with that. I think it's the last act of kindness you can give the pet. The wife and I are cat people and had to do this twice in the last couple years :( It tears your heart out but I am sure she liked having you there in her last moments. Time will ease the pain so sit back and have a drink and remember all the good times!!

cdog
09-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Sounds like she had a loving home. Sorry.