PDA

View Full Version : See a boat broken down...STOP TO HELP!!!

Wozencraft
09-10-2007, 09:14 PM
A week ago Friday my wife, kids and I launched from Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mohave. We were roughly 15 miles north of the marina when the boat wouldn't start. Without even signaling anyone over, a guy named Chris, and his family stopped by to help. His dad and he both got in our boat trying to trouble-shoot the problem. He ended up towing us back for 2 hours in his 27' Dana. For the 2 hours he spent towing us, using his gas, and taking time away from his family vacation, he would NOT take ANY money for his time or gas! I tried numerous times giving him money for the tow, or to stop at the gas dock at Cottonwood to fill up his Dana. He wouldn't take it...nonthing!
If any of you know this guy, you need to tell him he's a real STAR and a gentleman! I remember him saying that he's a member on this board with the name of Chubby...something ?
Do any of you know this guy, Chris?
Wherever you are Chris, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! You were very kind to help us out in need. When you purchase your next DCB, allow me to pay for part of your insurance! ...if you'll even allow me. :)
Devin Wozencraft

GETSOME
09-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Its good to know that there are still good people out there:D

WYRD
09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Glad you got help, there is a great number of great boaters out there who are willing to help and the gratification (sp) is enough for them to do just that help.
Hope the fix wasnt too much;)
WYRD

XtrmWakeborder
09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
That is why I love boating... River/Lake people are the best. I have been broken down a few times on the way to the river, and the only place people have stopped to help have been close to the river. Anytime I break down in OC or the IE I have never been given a second look.

OGShocker
09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
You gotta love those "Dana" people.
I am not sure who he is but, we'll try to find out for you.
Describe his boat for me, please

RitcheyRch
09-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Glad to hear someone stopped to help out a fellow boater.

Wozencraft
09-10-2007, 09:26 PM
I am not sure who he is but, we'll try to find out for you.
Describe his boat for me, please
I actually don't really remember the gel coat scheme much. I mostly saw the back of his boat. :)
It was a closed bow and he said he lives somewhere in No. Cal. I believe he said he cruises the delta frequently.
Devin

SummitKarl
09-10-2007, 09:27 PM
A week ago Friday my wife, kids and I launched from Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mohave. We were roughly 15 miles north of the marina when the boat wouldn't start. Without even signaling anyone over, a guy named Chris, and his family stopped by to help. His dad and he both got in our boat trying to trouble-shoot the problem. He ended up towing us back for 2 hours in his 27' Dana. For the 2 hours he spent towing us, using his gas, and taking time away from his family vacation, he would NOT take ANY money for his time or gas! I tried numerous times giving him money for the tow, or to stop at the gas dock at Cottonwood to fill up his Dana. He wouldn't take it...nonthing!
If any of you know this guy, you need to tell him he's a real STAR and a gentleman! I remember him saying that he's a member on this board with the name of Chubby...something ?
Wherever you are Chris, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! You were very kind to help us out in need. When you purchase your next DCB, allow me to pay for part of your insurance! ...if you'll even allow me. :)
Devin Wozencraft
that would be Chubby4life...Chris.....one of the good guys;) and thats one nice Dana he has...
here is his profile you can send him a PM:D
Chris (http://www.***boat.com/forums/member.php?u=11772)

WYRD
09-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I remember a time when I first bought my Advantage. There was this group of (at the most 18) teenagers, the driver was arrested for DUI and the boat was released to the rest of the group. They were in a beat up old bayliner and no one knew how to drive. We offered our assistance and towed them back to cattail cove, the smiles on their faces were so big I still can see them today. in the words of Jordy "Boaters helping Boaters":) :D

squirt'nmyload
09-10-2007, 09:30 PM
I remember a time when I first bought my Advantage. There was this group of (at the most 18) teenagers, the driver was arrested for DUI and the boat was released to the rest of the group. They were in a beat up old bayliner and no one knew how to drive. We offered our assistance and towed them back to cattail cove, the smiles on their faces were so big I still can see them today. in the words of Jordy "people helping people":) :D
:D

SummitKarl
09-10-2007, 09:36 PM
well at least some of them
:rolleyes: ..........:D :D

Phat Matt
09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
The same thing happened to him at the dam run. He was in your position so I am sure he was just paying it forward. :)

Wozencraft
09-10-2007, 10:10 PM
The same thing happened to him at the dam run. He was in your position so I am sure he was just paying it forward. :)
Yes, come to think of it...he did mention breaking a drive around the same place on another trip. Well, he was a great guy to quickly lend a hand! This actually was the first time EVER I have broken down. There's a first for everything. Let's just hope it doesn't happen again soon.
Devin

Magic34
09-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes, come to think of it...he did mention breaking a drive around the same place on another trip. Well, he was a great guy to quickly lend a hand! This actually was the first time EVER I have broken down. There's a first for everything. Let's just hope it doesn't happen again soon.
Devin
That's it. Sell it and get a new one! Notice... No more cat for me. :D

riverbound
09-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I always do, or at least stop to ceck and see if someone needs to use the phone.
I remembr a couple times where I was broke down in my old boat and had complete strangers help. If they wouldnt take $$ from me I would always drop a case of beer in their boat for them.

Keith E. Sayre
09-10-2007, 10:41 PM
You'll find that the "oldtimers" at the river will NEVER take
any payment for helping out. And I'm not referring to
elderly people but simply people who have been coming to the river their entire lives or for the better portion of it.
I've been on both sides of the tow rope more times than
I want to count and always tried to offer something, I don't
think anyone has ever taken it. I was taught about the
"karma" thing and it's good to be paid up in advance as
it appears "chubby4life" now is. Hats off to you chris!
Yes, there are still a tremendous amount of great boaters
out there!
Keith Sayre

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Kudos to the fellow boater that helped out. Im glad to see that people like that still exsist;)
Spitter

riverracerXXX
09-11-2007, 01:35 AM
I too have been on both sides of the rope. Ive given a couple LONG tows and been towed myself. I would never accept any money although it was always offered. And the people that have offered to help me have been all types. From small old POS's to 200k rockets. TRUE river people are great!

2forcefull
09-11-2007, 03:36 AM
Devin Wozencraft
wtf, you seen a real boat'r and didn't get a picture???
what a rare find!!!!

sleekcraft80
09-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Back in the late 90s I took my 73 Glaspar to the springs to boat for the weekend. I was in the water for about an hour and discovered my battery had went dead. Because it was an outboard it had that emergency starter rope, so I decided to try to start it that way. 140hp BTW. I had back issues at that time and was not able to pull it that hard. A family close by in a jet boat was near by and saw my dilema and came over to help. The dad and son got the engine started and told me to follow them up the lake for awhile to charge the battery and they would keep an eye out to make sure I was ok. I offered them some money but they wouldn't take it. Whoever they were, thank you very much. Now if I see people broke down when I am on the lake, I will try to help.

OGShocker
09-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Good find Karl! oh and F u...:D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-11-2007, 06:42 AM
:D I always do, or at least stop to ceck and see if someone needs to use the phone.
I remembr a couple times where I was broke down in my old boat and had complete strangers help. If they wouldnt take $$ from me I would always drop a case of beer in their boat for them.
We must owe you so much money and beer for all the tows you have given us. LOL :D

Jyruiz
09-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Thats great, we need more people like that out on the water.

riverbound
09-11-2007, 07:29 AM
:D
We must owe you so much money and beer for all the tows you have given us. LOL :D
You have cooked me enough Dinners.... I think we are even :)
FIL

phebus
09-11-2007, 07:59 AM
I agree that if someone needs help you should come to their aid, but I also believe that everyone should have Sea Tow so that they don't tie up someone else's day towing them.

Baja Big Dog
09-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Someone declines the offer to tow your 28 ft boat back to Havi with 7 people on board, from the dam, if they are in a fricken 24 ft pontoon, with a 110 hp motor! We stopped for a guy that was waveing, his boat wouldnt start, kind of a smart ass, got on board, tried to follow some wiring, had a wiring problem under the dash, (not very impressed with Warlock's!) 110 outside, sweating like a hoar jr high locker room, the guy asked for a tow, I declined, since I just spent the better part of an hour laying around the bottom of his boat I thought I offered him all I could, and towing him for two to three hours and beatin the goo out my little motor was not an option. He was not very happy with me!!!!
Told him Ive towed my fair share of boats and this one wasnt going to happen!!

88vector
09-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I fried my impellar, and my engine overheated. Someone gave me and my buddy a tow back to the nearest ramp, then gave me a ride to get my truck and trailer. when he dropped me at the dock, I offered him money, and he would not take it. As he pulled from the dock I balled $60.00 in my hand and threw it on is boat.

whiteworks
09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
a couple of years ago I was heading up river north of the sandbar, there was a boat with the hatch up floating down river. I turned around and went to see if they needed help. they were broke down and wanted me to tow them to there trailer At the Avi. I threw them a line and got them off to the side of the river "nice sandy beach" it was a whole family mom and dad,friends, kid and grandpa. I told grandpa to grab the kid and I would take him to the Avi to get the truck and trailer we left the boat and mom and dad and freinds on the side of the river with instruction to make there way to moabi and grandpa and kid would be there with the trailer. we had a great ride all the way to Avi and grandpa wouldnt get off my boat without slipping me a hundred. we argued about it for a while until granpa pulls out a wad, said he was up $1700. from the night before and he wasnt getting off the boat unless I took the money.
BTW, seatow makes a great gift. its one of those gifts that seems strange at the time but then 8 months later you get a call while there getting towed in. it goes something like this "I LOVE YOU MAN"

MADDOG355
09-11-2007, 11:36 AM
This is cool. I was expecting to see a "I was brokedown at such and such" and "list of names...." went right by and never stopped.
This is a great outcome.

ThongMagnet
09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I believe if you have your boat towed once you need to tow twice, to settle your debt with the ruler of the sea...King Neptune.
You are also required to get your boat fixed before returning to the lake.

boats&bars
09-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I have always stopped to help and tow people in. You just never know when you yourself might need it.

little rowe boat
09-11-2007, 12:18 PM
About a month ago, I towed a guy in an old beat up sail boat back to cattail cove. The tow took approx. 1 hr. He was about a half mile south of steam boat. We were headed north and he was trying to wave people down but nobody would stop. We told him we had to catch up to the rest of our party but we would be right back. We came back 20 minutes later to find him trying to swim the boat to shore. He said I did not think you would come back.

hkunz
09-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Back when were were building our Tahiti, my wife and daughter took it out in Lake Perris while I re-carpeted the bunks and painted the trailer. I told them to take it for about three laps, then come back and see if I was done. I got the trailer done, went down to the ramp, and they were nowhere to be seen. My daughter is a bit, well, rambunctious (she used to break my glasses giving me a hug) as well as big (6'1") and strong. She spun the ignition start switch right out of the dash, breaking all the wires. They swam it to the island (I told you she was strong), and a guy with a jet ski towed them back to shore. Neither had any mechanical ability at that time (daughter still doesn't), so they were pretty much stuck unless someone helped. Since then, I've towed any number of boats back to shore. It just follows "the law of the sea".

hkunz
09-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Back when were were building our Tahiti, my wife and daughter took it out in Lake Perris while I re-carpeted the bunks and painted the trailer. I told them to take it for about three laps, then come back and see if I was done. I got the trailer done, went down to the ramp, and they were nowhere to be seen. My daughter is a bit, well, rambunctious (she used to break my glasses giving me a hug) as well as big (6'1") and strong. She spun the ignition start switch right out of the dash, breaking all the wires. They swam it to the island (I told you she was strong), and a guy with a jet ski towed them back to shore. Neither had any mechanical ability at that time (daughter still doesn't), so they were pretty much stuck unless someone helped. Since then, I've towed any number of boats back to shore. It just follows "the law of the sea".

Caribbean Jet
09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Devin Wozencraft
This is a great story, Chris if you are on this board you rock and Devin you are also a stand up guy.
Last season my family and I were heading back to Moabi from Havasu when we see this Magic screaming along and he hits a sand bar. Well long story short, my family and what ended up being a couple of other guys took at least an hour or more digging and pushing this guy off the sand bar. As all of us are cheering the accomplishment of getting this guy off of the bar and he took off with barely a thank you. I wouldn't have taken money but a beer or at least a thank you would have been nice.

Riverdog1
09-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Most likely old school boater. I remember those days, they are rare anymore.:idea:

Lavey5150
09-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Ran out of Petro 1.5 miles from Temple Bar on the Tuesday before Labor day, no one around, no one, a wakeboard boat came by, towed my no-gas :jawdrop: ass in accepted no money, nicest guy and gal around.Good folks are hard to find...............

san-d-eggo
09-11-2007, 02:27 PM
i cannot count the number of people who stopped by on rice rd. at 1 am one friday night when we had our alternator go out a couple years ago..... and locals dont like river folk? from that point i always stop to see if people need help. even on the way to the river. oh and all you guys sayin its only the old school river people stopping, it isnt true. its how you are raised. im only 25 and have towed, been towed, helped, and have been helped.

TahitiTiger
09-11-2007, 02:51 PM
I myself have towed a few in, and stopped and helped a fellow Jetter get his boat going again.
Yet the two times I broke down on the lake (when I first got it, I had ignition problems) I freakin rowed that effer in. One of those times was over a mile, and not one person stopped to help. As a fatter of fact a wake boat came in way to close to me, and caused some real nice chop for me :mad:
Last weekend my I had a blow out on my trailer, and no one once stopped to help. And at least 20 boaters passed us while I sat on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. :cry:
Seems like no one in my area, wants to help another out. Not to worry though, if I see a stranded boat (even a wake boat) I will toss him/her a line. :)

STV_Keith
09-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Probably 2 years ago, saw a family on a pontoon in the toolies just South of where the no-wake zone is in the river North of the Sandbar. He had burnt the motor up. I couldn't tow him, but gave him a ride to Moabi. He wouldn't get out of the boat without giving me a $20.
Also towed a sea-doo boat to Willow Beach once in the Scarab. They ate smokey OMC idle for 1.5 hrs for that 4 mile trip.
Bottom line, do your part when you can...one day it WILL be your turn. :sqeyes:

77charger
09-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Have towed and been towed.never taken money either.BUt have accpeted a few beers.:)
help out cause you never know when it will happent to you

Mandelon
09-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I've towed in at least a half dozen boats over the last ten years. The last guys barely gave us a thanks, but the others have been very grateful. I turned down the offers of cash but one guy threw a wet $50 at me one time after I towed him from up near Windsor...t h r o u g h the channel... :D to the marina where he needed fuel...
I did get towed in once by a coast guard boat out on Mohave a long time ago.. Lightning almost had to tow us in, when we realized my wife had the emergency kill lanyard in her hand....:rolleyes: :D
And I've been assisted off a few sandbars over the past couple years as well....LOL

RiverToysJas
09-11-2007, 03:31 PM
The only time I don't have a real problem taking money for a tow is when the guy runs out of gas. I mean that's totally avoidable and your job as Captain to make sure you have fuel for the trip.
I towed a guy 5+ miles up river to Jack Smith a year ago. I told him he didn't have to give me anything, but he still tossed me $40. He had run out of gas.....
I think I'm going to buy one of those cheap plastic syphons to keep in the boat. Next time I'll just transfer a couple gallons, and be on my way! :D
Towed a PWC to Winsor in July to. That couple had no idea what they were doing out there... :rolleyes: ;)
RTJas :D

DeltaSigBoater
09-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Ran out of Petro 1.5 miles from Temple Bar on the Tuesday before Labor day, no one around, no one, a wakeboard boat came by, towed my no-gas :jawdrop: ass in accepted no money, nicest guy and gal around.Good folks are hard to find...............
I was out there, but had the outdrive apart getting ready for the weekend. I know how you feel I’ve spent whats seemed like an eternity floating near Temple Bar a few times in my life, with no one around or no one stopping.
i cannot count the number of people who stopped by on rice rd. at 1 am one friday night when we had our alternator go out a couple years ago..... and locals dont like river folk? from that point i always stop to see if people need help. even on the way to the river. oh and all you guys sayin its only the old school river people stopping, it isnt true. its how you are raised. im only 25 and have towed, been towed, helped, and have been helped.
That is true, it is how you are raised, I consider myself an old school boater even at the young age of 26. Because it's not just about towing people back to the dock, or stopping on the highway at wee hours in the morning. I've helped people by taking wives & children back to the dock when the weather has turned nasty and the family in question has either had a pair of PWCs or low slung boat. I've given people bottled water out of my own cooler, for their dogs to drink. Brought boats/pwcs back to people that have floated off the beach or broke free from their moorings. About 85% of the people are truely thankful. 10% are acting like they're doing you the favor of letting you help them. The remaining 5% I have tried to help have just waived me on, these are the folks that I see getting towed in 3-5 hours later, I just smile :D !
Its all about Karma

Wet Dream
09-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Its nice to see some great stories on here for once. I've been towed, done the towing, all for the sake of helping someone. ;)

OnlyMoney
09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
When we had our 377 Talon a few years ago, we would tie it up to the courtesy dock by the condos under Shugrues (yes, we were staying there) and one morning we came down to the boat and there was a note on it
"Dear beautiful boat owner, we found your boat untied :mad: and floating a bit out in the channel. We did our daily girl scout duty and tied it back up for you." We still smile when we drive by that dock.
Another time on Mead in the Sunseeker we hit some horrible weather and were taking spray over the tower (14+ feet off the water) and all the fast boats passed this little dinky 20 footer with a mom and 3 kids on it...they were being blown into the cliffs. :( So, even though I thought we were gonna be in danger ourselves, the captain turned the boat toward them and got them tied up. Decided they should be in our boat since it's safer and towed them all the way through the narrows and to Hemmenway. Wouldn't take a dime from them, never do.
About a month later we were in the bar at our marina and I was cut off by the hubby, but the bartender brought us some drinks anyway. It was the mom and daughter and she was in tears when we saw her. Very cool thing to come of such a horrible day on the lake.
It's just what you do as a boater. :)

I DIG IT !
09-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Thats sweet. I have been towed before and theres know way to explain how greatful you are when it happens. Thats why I the frist one to offer help when someone else needs a little. You never know when you are going to be next???

Chubby4Life
09-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Devin Wozencraft
It was my pleasure and duty to help you and your family. I have been towed before and I'm sure I'll be towed again. As others have said, Karma is everything.:) BTW, after we dropped you we had one of the best twilight rides ever across the basin. Absolutly beautiful water and perfect sunset!

TCHB
09-11-2007, 07:00 PM
I towed in a boat a couple of weeks ago up by the Refuge. They offered money but I said use the money for Sea Tow!!!!!!

Wozencraft
09-11-2007, 08:35 PM
It was my pleasure and duty to help you and your family. I have been towed before and I'm sure I'll be towed again. As others have said, Karma is everything.:) BTW, after we dropped you we had one of the best twilight rides ever across the basin. Absolutly beautiful water and perfect sunset!
Chris, I started this thread as a way to try and locate you, and to publicly say "THANK YOU!" What's cool is that many other boaters have given there success stories when breaking down or lending a tow to others. You, your dad and family were very selfless in helping my family last week. You are truly a good person!
I hope I can return the favor one day.
Devin Wozencraft

bruddah
09-11-2007, 09:27 PM
its good to see there are still people out there that remember the old days where everyone helped eachother... i know im relatively young but i grew up always helping fellow boaters and it has carried out in the way i boat today!!! i know on memorial day i let a gay with a flatty at parker borrow my spare battery all weekend and sure enough i saw the guy all weekend and he came by where we were stayin and dropped it off on sunday just like he said on sunday!!! its hard to say... but there are still plenty of good boaters out there!

BADAXE
09-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Someone declines the offer to tow your 28 ft boat back to Havi with 7 people on board, from the dam, if they are in a fricken 24 ft pontoon, with a 110 hp motor! We stopped for a guy that was waveing, his boat wouldnt start, kind of a smart ass, got on board, tried to follow some wiring, had a wiring problem under the dash, (not very impressed with Warlock's!) 110 outside, sweating like a hoar jr high locker room, the guy asked for a tow, I declined, since I just spent the better part of an hour laying around the bottom of his boat I thought I offered him all I could, and towing him for two to three hours and beatin the goo out my little motor was not an option. He was not very happy with me!!!!
Told him Ive towed my fair share of boats and this one wasnt going to happen!!
Could you post a picture of your boat so everybody knows not to stop and offer you a tow next time you break down?
I would have told the guy no, I won't tow you to Havasu but I will tow you to the nearest launch ramp then give you a ride up the lake to get your truck and trailer. I think that is very fair.

HavasuSelect
09-12-2007, 01:36 PM
i know on memorial day i let a gay with a flatty at parker borrow my spare battery all weekend and sure enough i saw the guy all weekend...
:jawdrop: :idea: :D

HavasuSelect
09-12-2007, 01:37 PM
*Double post