PDA

View Full Version : 2 STROKES IN CALIFORNIA

ZSARGO
09-28-2002, 12:57 PM
I'M BUYING A NEW 300X FROM AN ARIZONIA DEALER NEXT MARCH. CALIFORNIA LAW PROHIBITS THE SALE OF THE 30OX, 2.5 ETC ETC IN THE SALE OF CALIFORNIA. I KNOW THAT MANY DEALERS LIKE FORCE, DCB, ELIMINATOR AND I'M SURE THE LIST GOES ON AND ON ARE SELLING BOATS RIGGED WITH 300X'S IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. ARE THEY REGISTERING ALL THESE BOATS OUT OF STATE. SOMEONE JUST INFORMED ME THAT AFTER I INSTALL THE 300X IN MY BOAT, THE DEALER HAS TO TAKE PICTURES OF IT AND SEND THEM TO MERCURY ALONG WITH BOAT INFO I.E. VIN NUMBERS CF NUMBERS. THEN IT'S MERCURYS RESPONSABILITY TO INFORM CALIFORNIA DMV THAT A BOAT WITH CF NUMBERS HAD A 300X INSTALLED ON IT. THEN GUESS WHAT, WHEN YOU GO TO REG YOUR BOAT--NO CAN DO. DOES THIS MEAN I WILL HAVE TO REGISTER MY BOAT IN ARIZONIA NEXT DECEMBER. THEN WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ARIZONIA HAS THE SAME RULES. MY BOAT WILL BE WORTHLESS UNLESS I SELL IT OUT OF STATE.

HavasuBarney
09-28-2002, 02:31 PM
Good question.
SOMEONE JUST INFORMED ME THAT AFTER I INSTALL THE 300X IN MY BOAT, THE DEALER HAS TO TAKE PICTURES OF IT AND SEND THEM TO MERCURY ALONG WITH BOAT INFO I.E. VIN NUMBERS CF NUMBERS.VIN numbers and picture yes.
MY BOAT WILL BE WORTHLESS UNLESS I SELL IT OUT OF STATE.Anywhere you go, it's still a DCB w/300X. It will hold it's value while out running every other boat on the market.
It is the BAD-ASS ride on the lake, anywhere you go! :)

TOBTEK
09-28-2002, 02:52 PM
LES................Who told you this? this dosnt sound right at all. How can EVERY boat dealer register the products if this were true. Darla @ DCB said it was MY choice to reg it here in CA or AZ....MY CHOICE.
Im not doubting what you are saying, and ive been concerned about 2stroke bann's for sometime. But this dosnt sound right......

ZSARGO
09-28-2002, 03:00 PM
TOBTEK:
LES................Who told you this? this dosnt sound right at all. How can EVERY boat dealer register the products if this were true. Darla @ DCB said it was MY choice to reg it here in CA or AZ....MY CHOICE.
Im not doubting what you are saying, and ive been concerned about 2stroke bann's for sometime. But this dosnt sound right......TRY TO BUY A 300X FROM DICK SHEER IN DOWNEY. I CALLED THEM WHEN I FIRST STARTED SHOPPING FOR MY MOTOR. CAN'T DO IT. YOU CAN'T SELL A 300X IN CALIFORNIA AS A DEALER. ARIZONA IS NEXT. I THINK 2006 OR 2007. I WAS JUST AT WEST MARINE IN HAVASU AND THATS WHAT THEY TOLD ME. OFF COURSE CURRENT BOATS WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN. DCB MUST HAVE AN ADDRESS ALSO SET UP IN ARIZONA.I'M JUST WORRIED ABOUT PUTTING THE MOTOR ON THE BOAT AND THEN NOT BEING ABLE TO REGISTER IT IN CALIFORNIA. AS FAR AS THE BANS ARE CONCERNED ON LAKES AND RIVERS. I THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF WAVERUNNERS AND JET SKIS. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY WILL OUTLAW 2 STROKES LESS OR EQUAL TO 16 FEET.

TOBTEK
09-28-2002, 03:04 PM
ZSARGO:
TOBTEK:
Im not doubting what you are saying, and ive been concerned about 2stroke bann's for sometime. But this dosnt sound right......TRY TO BUY A 300X FROM DICK SHEER IN DOWNEY. I CALLED THEM WHEN I FIRST STARTED SHOPPING FOR MY MOTOR. CAN'T DO IT. YOU CAN'T SELL A 300X IN CALIFORNIA AS A DEALER. ARIZONA IS NEXT. I THINK 2006 OR 2007. I WAS JUST AT WEST MARINE IN HAVASU AND THATS WHAT THEY TOLD ME. OFF COURSE CURRENT BOATS WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN. DCB MUST HAVE AN ADDRESS ALSO SET UP IN ARIZONA.I'M JUST WORRIED ABOUT PUTTING THE MOTOR ON THE BOAT AND THEN NOT BEING ABLE TO REGISTER IT IN CALIFORNIA. AS FAR AS THE BANS ARE CONCERNED ON LAKES AND RIVERS. I THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF WAVERUNNERS AND JET SKIS. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY WILL OUTLAW 2 STROKES LESS OR EQUAL TO 16 FEET.I WILL BE MAKING SOME CALL'S MONDAY MORNING!!! :mad: I flat out asked Dave if there is any problem buying a outboard in Ca...."no problem" hmmmmmmmm I will not buy this thing if there is a problem using and registering it...

ZSARGO
09-28-2002, 05:55 PM
TOBTEK:
ZSARGO:
TOBTEK:
Im not doubting what you are saying, and ive been concerned about 2stroke bann's for sometime. But this dosnt sound right......TRY TO BUY A 300X FROM DICK SHEER IN DOWNEY. I CALLED THEM WHEN I FIRST STARTED SHOPPING FOR MY MOTOR. CAN'T DO IT. YOU CAN'T SELL A 300X IN CALIFORNIA AS A DEALER. ARIZONA IS NEXT. I THINK 2006 OR 2007. I WAS JUST AT WEST MARINE IN HAVASU AND THATS WHAT THEY TOLD ME. OFF COURSE CURRENT BOATS WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN. DCB MUST HAVE AN ADDRESS ALSO SET UP IN ARIZONA.I'M JUST WORRIED ABOUT PUTTING THE MOTOR ON THE BOAT AND THEN NOT BEING ABLE TO REGISTER IT IN CALIFORNIA. AS FAR AS THE BANS ARE CONCERNED ON LAKES AND RIVERS. I THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF WAVERUNNERS AND JET SKIS. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY WILL OUTLAW 2 STROKES LESS OR EQUAL TO 16 FEET.I WILL BE MAKING SOME CALL'S MONDAY MORNING!!! :mad: I flat out asked Dave if there is any problem buying a outboard in Ca...."no problem" hmmmmmmmm I will not buy this thing if there is a problem using and registering it...I HEAR YA. YOU MIGHT WANT TO REG IT IN AZ ANYWAYS. UNSECURED PROPERTY TAX!!! ANYWAYS DAVE IS SELLING LOST OF BOATS WITH TWIN 300X'S. SO HE IS GETTING AROUND THE CALIFORNIA LAW SOME HOW. I'M NOT WORRIED TWO MUCH ABOUT IT. JUST A MATTER OF STRIPPING THE OLD CF NUMBERS OFF AND PUTTING ON NEW ONES. I USE MY BOAT IN PARKER AND HAVASU USUALLY.BUT IF YOUR GOING TO USE YOUR BOAT IN CALIFORNIA THEN IT MIGHT BE OF CONCERN. JUST GET AN HP 500. LET ME KNOW WHAT DAVE SAYS.

TOBTEK
09-29-2002, 10:17 AM
Not to sound like a wiener....but, if I dont get a outboard I dont want that boat at all! I think that huge motor cover looks unsightly with a inboard..just me im sure. I have a appointment Tuesday with Dave, We will see....why do you have to remove and replace your CF #'s?

Charley
09-30-2002, 09:16 PM
TOBTEK:
Not to sound like a wiener....but, if I dont get a outboard I dont want that boat at all! I think that huge motor cover looks unsightly with a inboard..just me im sure. I have a appointment Tuesday with Dave, We will see....why do you have to remove and replace your CF #'s?Tobtek... I would think you would want to register it in AZ... California has a BS luxury tax that goes with boats....AZ doesn't..... If you want you can use my AZ address and have your paperwork shipped/mailed to you in CA... just an offer
:D

mbrown2
09-30-2002, 10:17 PM
When I spoke to Dave, I asked him the direct question...how does he sale the 2.5's and 300's? His response was basically that he will only sale them on boats that are going to be registered out of state. I got the same response from Al Stoker. The builders cannot sale the engines to boats registed in CA. However, it is better/cheaper to register in AZ anyway, so it should not be a problem or stop you from purchasing.

HavasuDreamin'
10-01-2002, 10:20 AM
Giminey christmas.........I don't doubt you guys, but WTF? :mad: I find it hard to believe this is true? When did this happen?
Havasu(glad to be out of CA)Dreamin'

gnarley
10-01-2002, 11:53 AM
Hey guys what happens when someone who has one of these engines out of California (in another state) wants to move into the state of Ca with that boat engine combo? If they had it before they moved to Ca how could the state stop them from being allowed to bring their personal possessions & then registering them in Ca? They tried doing this also with out of state cars and had to refund the penalty from the out of state ‘ers.

TOBTEK
10-01-2002, 01:52 PM
OK, just walked in the door from DCB. Les is correct! You Have to register a NEW boat with hi-performance outboards OUT OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA! This suck's :mad: even though better to reg in AZ it would be nice to have the option. Now if you want to register out of state then LATER reregister in CA, they dont have anyway(yet) to know what means of power is on your used boat. Meaning the boat is registered not the motor....so I was told! Also you may register your new boat with a out of state usage licence, stating you use it a certain percentage of the time out of the state of Ca...what a pain in the but!
So, in a few months I will be SWEET talking Charlie or KAB with many silvers/tini's or favorite adult beverage for usage of their out of state address.
BTW: new ride starts to be built next week :D

ZSARGO
10-01-2002, 06:28 PM
IT'S NOT THE BOAT THAT IS A PROBLEM IT IS THE MOTOR. LIKE IS WAS SAYING WHEN I RIG THE BOAT WITH MY NEW 300X THEY HAVE TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE BOAT AND SEND MERCURY THE PICTURES ALONG WITH VIN NUMBERS AND BOAT REG NUMBERS. THEN IT IS MERCS RESPONSIBILITY TO ADVICE CALIFORNIA THAT AN ILLEGAL TWO STROKE WAS PLACED ON A CF NUMBERED BOAT. THEN WHEN YOU GO TO RENEW YOUR REG. NO CAN DO. FOR YOU BOATERS WHO WANT TO USE THE BOAT IN CA BEWARE. CHP IS HIP TO THE FACT THAT BOATS WITH AZ STICKERS AND AZ REG ON THE TRAILER ARE MOST LIKELY TRYING TO AVOID UNSECURED PROPERTY TAXES. SO IF THEY SEE YOU TOWING YOUR BOAT DOWN TO A CALIFONIA BODY OF WATER A FEW TIMES, YOU WILL GET A TICKET. MY ADVICE IS TO REG THE TRAILER IN CA AND REG THE BOAT IN AZ. I DID THIS WITH MY LAST BOAT AND TOWED IT WITH A COVER SO YOU COULDN'T SEE THE NUMBERS. OLD JOHNNY LAW MIGHT GET TO KNOW YOU BOAT DOWN AT THE LOCAL LAUNCH RAMP AND SEE IT HAS AZ REG.
[ October 01, 2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

77charger
10-01-2002, 07:27 PM
AS FAR AS THE BANS ARE CONCERNED ON LAKES AND RIVERS. I THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF WAVERUNNERS AND JET SKIS. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY WILL OUTLAW 2 STROKES LESS OR EQUAL TO 16 FEET.[/QB][/QUOTE]
wrong way to think like that the enviros plan is divide and conquer yes your o/b will be next.I myself hate the pwcs and can care less if they are banned but dont suppport the use of a 2 stroke engine as an excuse.Next will be a big block boat like mine.They are working on dirtbikes also!
[ October 01, 2002, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: 77charger ]

randy77zt
10-01-2002, 11:43 PM
if my 260 blows up i wont hesitate to pick up a motor out of state.2 strokes are on thier way out as far as new models are going.that is why only merc makes high perf motors.if bombardier made high perf motors maybe merc would come down on their prices.but the engine builders are in hold mode because of emission regs.i think a good turbo/water intercooled/efi 4 stroke could be made to match the weight of 300x but not a 280.or a 2 rotor mazda engine.i think the government is killing the creativity of the engine builders.i can see a camless 4 stroke with computor operated 4 valve heads.if i was buying/building a new boat i would just put the motors on at home.

TOBTEK
10-02-2002, 07:01 AM
ZSARGO:
IT'S NOT THE BOAT THAT IS A PROBLEM IT IS THE MOTOR. LIKE IS WAS SAYING WHEN I RIG THE BOAT WITH MY NEW 300X THEY HAVE TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE BOAT AND SEND MERCURY THE PICTURES ALONG WITH VIN NUMBERS AND BOAT REG NUMBERS. THEN IT IS MERCS RESPONSIBILITY TO ADVICE CALIFORNIA THAT AN ILLEGAL TWO STROKE WAS PLACED ON A CF NUMBERED BOAT. THEN WHEN YOU GO TO RENEW YOUR REG. NO CAN DO. FOR YOU BOATERS WHO WANT TO USE THE BOAT IN CA BEWARE. CHP IS HIP TO THE FACT THAT BOATS WITH AZ STICKERS AND AZ REG ON THE TRAILER ARE MOST LIKELY TRYING TO AVOID UNSECURED PROPERTY TAXES. SO IF THEY SEE YOU TOWING YOUR BOAT DOWN TO A CALIFONIA BODY OF WATER A FEW TIMES, YOU WILL GET A TICKET. MY ADVICE IS TO REG THE TRAILER IN CA AND REG THE BOAT IN AZ. I DID THIS WITH MY LAST BOAT AND TOWED IT WITH A COVER SO YOU COULDN'T SEE THE NUMBERS. OLD JOHNNY LAW MIGHT GET TO KNOW YOU BOAT DOWN AT THE LOCAL LAUNCH RAMP AND SEE IT HAS AZ REG.Les....your not putting the new motor on till Spring right? Register it now in AZ! then if Merc does send a notice to AZ California will never be the wiser...if you were to ever reregister in ca....what a pain huh!

HavasuDreamin'
10-02-2002, 07:52 AM
I am glad I live in Indiana. wink I think I will trek right on down to the nearest hi perf Merc dealer and buy a Drag Motor with no problems or questions asked! :p :p :D
[ October 02, 2002, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

TOBTEK
10-02-2002, 09:17 AM
HavasuDreamin':
I am glad I live in Indiana. wink I think I will trek right on down to the nearest hi perf Merc dealer and buy a Drag Motor with no problems or questions asked! :p :p :D you suck :D or should i say "treehugers" suck even more? This whole EPA thing is a big pain in the ass..ya think all the cars in California are more of a problem than a hand full of outboard boaters? And California lowered vehicle registration 67% in the last yr and ahalf, could/should have used that extra money for something usefull!

HavasuDreamin'
10-02-2002, 09:37 AM
I just hope the "California Tree Huggin'" Cancer doesn't spread to the rest of the states. Long live the highly pollutant, bad ass, 2-stroke O/B!
eek! :p :D

TOBTEK
10-02-2002, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
I just hope the "California Tree Huggin'" Cancer doesn't spread to the rest of the states. Long live the highly pollutant, bad ass, 2-stroke O/B!
eek! :p :D [
if it spreads to AZ we all we be beggin to register our boats at your address!

HavasuDreamin'
10-02-2002, 12:34 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............what kind o' fee can I charge for that.........you know all the paper shuffelin' might bog me down, I might have to make it a full time job! wink :D
Havasu(the illegal registrar)Dreamin'

MOPAR2YA
10-07-2002, 03:52 PM
Les, Happy Trails!
Gregor

ZSARGO
10-07-2002, 08:41 PM
MOPAR2YA:
Les, Happy Trails!
GregorGREG B. I THINK IT'S TIME TO BUY A BOAT. LOTS OF ROOM OUT IN THE SAHARA DESERT. YOU KNOW YOUR NEW LOT :)
[ October 09, 2002, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

MOPAR2YA
10-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Beautiful "panaramic" views!
1/2 of it for sale to you!
Then I'll buy!!!!
Confusious say, "Man with his hands in pockets, can be cocky!"

ZSARGO
10-09-2002, 03:20 PM
ZSARGO:
MOPAR2YA:
Les, Happy Trails!
GregorGREG B. I THINK IT'S TIME TO BUY A BOAT. LOTS OF ROOM OUT IN THE SAHARA DESERT. YOU KNOW-YOUR NEW LOT :)

ZSARGO
10-09-2002, 03:23 PM
MOPAR2YA:
Beautiful "panaramic" views!
1/2 of it for sale to you!
Then I'll buy!!!!
Confusious say, "Man with his hands in pockets, can be cocky!"NO THANKS. I ALREADY OWN PROPERTY OUT IN THIS SHIT HOLE.
CONFUSIOUS SAY, "MAN WHO GO TO BED WITH ITCHY ASS WAKE UP WITH STINKY FINGER!"

MissHavasuCig
10-09-2002, 10:29 PM
You don't have to be a property owner in Arizona to register your boat there. You can register your boat in the state where you do the majority of your boating. Just be prepared to back up your position with gas, food, hotel, etc receipts if that's your claim and anyone ever questions you... The CA State Board of Equalization recently sent us a notice in the mail and 2 exemptions from tax were:
- you used the vessel outside of CA in excess of 90 days (exclusive of any time of shipment to CA, or storage for shipment to CA).
- the vessel entered CA within 90 days, but was used one-half or more of the time outside of the state for the six-month period following its first entry into CA
According to the paperwork, sufficient documents were:
registration certificate or certificate of title; vessel service receipts; fuel purchase receipts; mooring receipts; credit card statements; bank statements and register; cell phone bills; receipts for meals, lodging or transportation...
We had an outboard boat a few years ago, and realized that the 2 stroke bans were going limit our places to go. I have family cabins at Lake Tahoe, and we couldn't take our boat there ~ and the word was that more lakes were going to start cracking down....
BTW: Dealers will always tell you what you want to hear :p