PDA

View Full Version : warning alarm

496mag
09-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I have a 496 mag witha a bravo 1 and the other day while crossing the lake my alarm sounded with a steady tone and the engine went into protect mode. This happened while I was at full speed for about 5 miles. I stopped for a few minutes with the engine off and once restarted I had no further problems for the remainder of my ride to the marina. I checked oil pressure 45-50 psi at idle, engine temp is good, impeller is working and the drive fluid and other5 fluids are topped off. The two reasons the owners manual stated was engine temp and oil pressure, do you guys know of any other reasons?
thanks for your help

DeltaSigBoater
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Do you have the smart craft guages?
Every boat I've ran @ WOT w/ the Smartcraft guages has done that after after several minutes...
From what I've been told its just a built in safety feature, making you think there is something wrong so you back off the throttles.

thumbs
09-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Mine sounds when the drive fluid is low.

bohica
09-10-2007, 10:16 PM
At this time of year, especially in Havasu, weeds can get caught by the drive and block the water pickup and restrict flow. Might have lost the weeds when you stopped and all is good to go.

PBOCOP
09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
My buddy's did that same thing this weekend.
He noticed when the alarm was sounding the temp was going up.
He would shut it off, turn it on, put it in reverse, turn it off again, put it in drive, and it would go off. Strange.

Keith E. Sayre
09-10-2007, 10:56 PM
The continuous-solid tone is/was oil pressure and/or water
temp. Bohica is possibly correct with all the weeds that
we're going through this time of the year. It also could
have been a plastic bag or something that you were dragging across the lake. My logic is this, if you hear the
continuous tone, hit the key immediately in order to save
your water pump impellar which is getting hotter by the
second if there is an obstruction. As you slow down, be
watching your gauges for an indication of heat. At the same time be trimming up your drive
to the full trailer position and head to the back of the boat.As your boat comes to a full stop and your drive up
all the way, if you picked up a plastic "ice" bag or something and drug it across the lake for the last minute
you'll usually see it float off your drive and go away. Maybe you hit the key in time to save the water pump,
maybe you didn't. In any case, put the drive back down
and restart the engine. If it was getting hot, it'll either
immediately get hotter in which case your water pump is
dust or it will start to cool immediately in which case the
pump may be OK. Time will tell.
If the alarm was caused by low oil pressure, check your oil
level to make sure that it's full. If it is and still has low
pressure, get it checked out immediatly and get a tow back to shore. You'll never believe how much damage is
done by simply idling a wounded engine a couple hundred
yards back to the trailer or camp.
If the alarm is the intermittant one, it is an indication that
the overflow container for the gear oil that goes inside your
outdrive is empty. Occasionally, this alarm will prove to be a false alarm. it is gravity fed into the drive so if you can clearly see that the overflow container is full, hit it lightly,
and the alarm should shut off. You'll note that this container is mounted with a rubber style vibration strap
that eliminates most but not all of the false alarms.
Running on the rev limiter can also produce an alarm
that could be solid or intermittant. Since you'll be going
fast, it'll be difficult to hear but you should either throttle
down just a bit or trim down just a bit.
Keith Sayre