PDA

View Full Version : concrete guys...what do u think

a catered life
09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
:( starting to get some estimates for some work we wont done and had three guys come out....were going to pull up our wooden patio and have a slab poured it a 18x20 slab of concrete....two guys were about the same at $2,400 and the third guy was about $3,000. then we ask my neighbor to come over and price it and he says $1400. i have seen his work (awesome) a few times he did some of the new home work a few blocks away and he did the other neighbors front patio about 2 months ago (freaking awesome)....what do you guys think? go with the neighbor or get more estimates

socalmoney
09-11-2007, 01:44 PM
It would suck to have to take your neighbor to court if it didn't work out but it is half the price and you have seen his work. I say use him. Pay him 25% to get started and the rest when he is done. If it sucks or he doesn't complete the job you still have $1050 to give to the next guy.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
It would suck to have to take your neighbor to court if it didn't work out but it is half the price and you have seen his work. I say use him. Pay him 25% to get started and the rest when he is done. If it sucks or he doesn't complete the job you still have $1050 to give to the next guy.
Yeah, good take.

phebus
09-11-2007, 01:52 PM
If you've seen his work and it's good, I'd ask him when he could start.

Mandelon
09-11-2007, 01:55 PM
The neighbor is less cuz he probably has no overhead. You know, those pesky things that a contractor has.......like a license or insurance or an office......:idea:
The going rate for flatwork is $5 to $8 a foot depending on prep work and finish you want... so $2400 is right in there.
Is the neighbor gonna demo the deck too?

superdave013
09-11-2007, 02:18 PM
The neighbor is less cuz he probably has no overhead. You know, those pesky things that a contractor has.......like a license or insurance or an office......:idea:
The going rate for flatwork is $5 to $8 a foot depending on prep work and finish you want... so $2400 is right in there.
and rent the big dumpster? that's over 400 bucks right there.

YeLLowBoaT
09-11-2007, 02:31 PM
or he could have all those things and is just not paying his taxs... which is very common. chances are you are right and hes is not licensed...
you know its kind of funny, a few months back I took the paper, opened it up... went to the work section... the desided to check a few of the CL numbers there...I picked 5 at random. only one of the 5 I tried was valid. all the others were some one elses or susspended.

redneckcharlie
09-11-2007, 02:44 PM
It could just be he's trying to be a good neighbor and help you out. There are still people out there that try to treat their neighbors decently. Flat work here is $4.50, can't imagine paying 5-8, guess thats just the difference in the states and markets. $6.50-7 here is foundation. I'm a licensed and insured GC, and have seen tons of "licensed and insured contractors" that do work that my dog could do better. If you've seen what he does, and his reputation is good, you seem to be in good hands. Its funny how people always find a negative with someone that under prices someone else. Just my 02, good luck with your project. ;)

Surmike
09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Redneck:) ha ha ha :):sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

Dave C
09-11-2007, 03:22 PM
shiat ... this is Kalefornia... add 25% that goes straight to the states stupid bureaucracy....:mad: :mad: :(
It could just be he's trying to be a good neighbor and help you out. There are still people out there that try to treat their neighbors decently. Flat work here is $4.50, can't imagine paying 5-8, guess thats just the difference in the states and markets. $6.50-7 here is foundation. I'm a licensed and insured GC, and have seen tons of "licensed and insured contractors" that do work that my dog could do better. If you've seen what he does, and his reputation is good, you seem to be in good hands. Its funny how people always find a negative with someone that under prices someone else. Just my 02, good luck with your project. ;)

MUDXPRT
09-11-2007, 05:11 PM
The concrete is 4.5 yds at 4", figure 5 yds for overage. concrete will cost approx. $550 to 600. Pump $200, Mesh $50. So there's $850 that leaves him approx. $550 to set up, grade and place & finish so basically he is doing it for wages.

DCBob
09-11-2007, 05:21 PM
The concrete is 4.5 yds at 4", figure 5 yds for overage. concrete will cost approx. $550 to 600. Pump $200, Mesh $50. So there's $850 that leaves him approx. $550 to set up, grade and place & finish so basically he is doing it for wages.
What he said......deck demo/hauloff NIC ;) :)

Excessive Force
09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
As long as your neighbor isn't a Samoan you should be fine. Our neighborhood had asphalt driveways and most of the other folks on the block started updating...and these Samoan concrete guys came and lowballed the decent guys. They did a couple in the neighborhood, then a few more. Then they started asking some of the older frail original owners for "loans" after they'd been paid. I was thinking about getting our drive done and the neighbors all said to find somone else and told me about the "loans"...and showed the the cracks.
Several ripped theirs out within a year.
IF your neighbor knows what he's doing and you feel comfortable enough with him to tell him if you see a problem (like making sure it slopes the right way). then go for it.
Used to drive for a major readymix company. Seen somoans pour two very average sized driveways with one 9.5 yard truck. So YEAH, never ever eva eva eva, never....let them do concrete work for you!! Those fockers dont use rubber boots they pour in their sandals.....no shit. Cement is so watered down its damn near self leveling.
$1400 dam good price. Id pay the $2400 and keep the good neighbor.:D

a catered life
09-12-2007, 10:14 PM
thanks guys for the honest replies....i just went and looked at the house down the block he did earlier this summer.....wow :sqeyes: dam good work..i think the neighbor just made $1400:D

Dave C
09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
damn it...:mad: I would love for someone to come out and do my boat parking driveway for $5-6 a sq ft..... this place sucks sometimes.:(
BTW a question for the contractors. How do they prevent that white looking stuff from appearing on tinted/colored concrete?

MudPumper
09-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Used to drive for a major readymix company. Seen somoans pour two very average sized driveways with one 9.5 yard truck. So YEAH, never ever eva eva eva, never....let them do concrete work for you!! Those fockers dont use rubber boots they pour in their sandals.....no shit. Cement is so watered down its damn near self leveling.
$1400 dam good price. Id pay the $2400 and keep the good neighbor.:D
and they use a rock rake instead of a 2x4 to screed the mud. LOL The men do all the work while the women sit an watch and tell them what to do. The first time I pumped a somoan job I was trippin the fock out.:jawdrop:

Kachina 34
09-13-2007, 05:12 PM
:( starting to get some estimates for some work we wont done and had three guys come out....were going to pull up our wooden patio and have a slab poured it a 18x20 slab of concrete....two guys were about the same at $2,400 and the third guy was about $3,000. then we ask my neighbor to come over and price it and he says $1400. i have seen his work (awesome) a few times he did some of the new home work a few blocks away and he did the other neighbors front patio about 2 months ago (freaking awesome)....what do you guys think? go with the neighbor or get more estimates
:confused: :confused:
I think I would go with the guy for 3K.:rolleyes:

lovemyultra
09-13-2007, 06:18 PM
remember the guy actually doing the work works for the contractor you will only see him at bid time and payday the guys work speaks volumes ,just put plenty of joints or saw cuts use decent mud and no additives plenty of finishers i say 2 min but 3 would be nice and cure it when done youll be fine just remember all concrete cracks hopefully in the joints and you gottta let it cure slow this is nothing major get the water to go where you want it it will be fine dont over pay thats what the stamped and color guys are for ,go for it just retain a little money put the water to it if it goes where you want perfect,pay him off