PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Supplements

Mandelon
09-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Getting old sucks. Parts just start to hurt. Elbows, shoulders, knees, lower back. Years of use and abuse add up I suppose.
Ya got to start eating better to keep the weight under control. I miss carne asada burritos and double bacon cheeseburgers....but the fact is most of the men from my Dad's side of the family only made it into their 50's. So the past couple years I am making a serious effort to eat more healthfully.
Walking more, exercising more, hitting the gym pretty regularly. But it just makes some parts hurt even more.....shoulder and elbows especially.
I started taking a couple giant fish oil capsules everyday about a week ago. I heard they have various benefits. I was interested in joint pain relief. I did the glucosamine and condroitin deal but i never noticed any effects. The fish oil seems to make a difference. Ya have to take them with meals or else you're burping up salmon flavor all day....the cats like it, but ya need to keep some personal space around you....I had one pop in my shirt pocket and I spent the day looking for that lost tuna fish sandwhich until I figured out it was me... LOL
My wife thinks I'm silly but I have lately been taking a multi vitamin, glucosamine and chondroitin, saw palmetto, maybe half an aspirin, and on gym days some extra chromium piccolinate, along with O.N. Strawberry flavor protein shakes spiked with a banana and a yogurt.
What are you taking? What for and does it work????

phebus
09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Coors. It makes me feel much better and younger too. :D

Kilrtoy
09-11-2007, 04:11 PM
MAN-DE-LON
heard you were low on PROTEIN...
I'll give you some old man...:D

NashvilleBound
09-11-2007, 04:13 PM
I take 2IU of HGH everyday, 1000mg of Tes.....oh....Suppliments.:) ...like over the counter??? Lets see here....
At 40 all you guys should start to take at least a Mens multi vitamin.
I take COQ10(100mg), Carlsons Fish oil (2tbls) Vit E(400mg), C (1000mg) and DHEA (50mg) in the morning.... regularly.

XtrmWakeborder
09-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Do you get enough calcium? Some say supplement calcium when you are working out and stressing your skeletal system. Also, I have heard of people getting joint pain with too much vitamic C. " My best friend and his Dad" Maybe it's genetic, but i'm not sure.

XtrmWakeborder
09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I take 2IU of HGH everyday, 1000mg of Tes.....oh....Suppliments.:) ...like over the counter??? Lets see here....
I take COQ10(100mg), Carlsons Fish oil (2tbls) Vit E(400mg), C (1000mg) and DHEA (50mg) in the morning.... regularly.
No wonder you're so big...:)

RiverOtter
09-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I used to take a handfull of sups every morning. I started asking all the "Guru's" what would be the one they would take and hands down it was the fish oil. Even Dr's and Nurses are recommending fish oil now. I did get benefits from the MSM and Glucosamine. I stopped taking the chondroitin. I was still in alot of pain after running and read an article in Runners World the MSM and Glocosamine was more effective without the Chondroitin.
Fish oil is great for your joints and your blood. I prefer the liquid to the tablets. No after taste.

NashvilleBound
09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I have the never fail cure for pain from running... STOP RUNNING. Unless I am being chased just the thought of running makes me want to VOMIT!! :D
Go back to the bike...your body will thank you :)

Ultra5150
09-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Keep your fish oil tabs in the freezer, you wont be burping up Cod all day.

uvindex
09-11-2007, 04:53 PM
I started taking a couple giant fish oil capsules everyday about a week ago. I heard they have various benefits. I was interested in joint pain relief.You heard right. :) Plenty of legitimate research (not just some guy at the vitamin store) shows the benefits of fish oil.
For example, the National Institute of Health (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-fishoil.html) says, "There is evidence from multiple studies supporting intake of recommended amounts of DHA and EPA in the form of dietary fish or fish oil supplements lowers triglycerides, reduces the risk of death, heart attack, dangerous abnormal heart rhythms, and strokes in people with known cardiovascular disease, slows the buildup of atherosclerotic plaques ("hardening of the arteries"), and lowers blood pressure slightly."

RiverOtter
09-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I have the never fail cure for pain from running... STOP RUNNING. Unless I am being chased just the thought of running makes me want to VOMIT!! :D
Go back to the bike...your body will thank you :)
I run and bike and if I'm really feeling gungho I'll swim. Triathlons are pretty cool expecially for an ADD type like me. Just when you get bored with something it changes :D

NashvilleBound
09-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I run and bike and if I'm really feeling gungho I'll swim. Triathlons are pretty cool expecially for an ADD type like me. Just when you get bored with something it changes :D
LOL...put me in a UFC ring... and let me connect within two minutes.... otherwise Ill need my 02 tank and tube hooked up......running???? OH HELLLLLLLLLLLLL no!
Ever since i hit 255 I sit on the couch breathing hard :rolleyes:

RiverOtter
09-11-2007, 05:06 PM
That's why I like the liquid. No cod or salmon burps :D

NashvilleBound
09-11-2007, 05:08 PM
That's why I like the liquid. No cod or salmon burps :D
Whats wrong with fishy burps???? :eek: :idea: :eek: :idea:

RiverOtter
09-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Whats wrong with fishy burps???? :eek: :idea: :eek: :idea:
depends on the fish I reccon :D

BigDoug
09-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Rich, you need to consult with the resident gym rat.............Aaron :D
He'll even push you when your down and out...hehe :D

hkunz
09-11-2007, 07:02 PM
l-carnitine, l-glutamine, l-arginine, l-lysine, creatine monohydrate, lots of fiber (like Metamucil on my bran cereal), Carlson's fish oil, 400 mg chromium picolinate, 2G "C", 400 IU "E", baby aspirin, Coenzyme Q-10, and that joint concotion they sell at Costco. Then I also take Met RX or EAS or Muscle Milk.
That doesn't count the 800 mg Motrin three times a day, the BP pills and the stomach pills.
If I cut our any of these, stuff starts to hurt. If I stop working out, stuff starts to hurt. And I get fat(ter).:D
Too many broken parts that didn't heal well or left chips/shards floating about. But hey, I get a check from the VA:idea:

OutCole'd
09-11-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm with Phebus on the Beer thing. It even makes me a better dancer also.

AZJD
09-11-2007, 07:17 PM
LMAO! 2 IU's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Expensive! Wish I could afford it. Guess I need a nice Dr.:D
I have found that cost effectiveness of Glucosamin isn't worth it. I get enough Glucosamine in my liquid vitamis.
Vitamin C is great if you hydrate well. It will tend to dehydrate you which will cause joint pain.
And stay away from the chromium Picolinate. That shit is bad, and unless you are on top of your diet it isn't helping you. It will boost your metabolism and set into your pancreas causing long term effects which ultimately beat up your immune system.

hkunz
09-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Vitamin C is great if you hydrate well. It will tend to dehydrate you which will cause joint pain.
And stay away from the chromium Picolinate. That shit is bad, and unless you are on top of your diet it isn't helping you. It will boost your metabolism and set into your pancreas causing long term effects which ultimately beat up your immune system.
I live in Bakersfield, so drinking lots of water is the norm. What's up with the chromium picolinate? (seems like each new "good thing" becomes a "bad thing" after a while):idea:

AZJD
09-11-2007, 07:37 PM
I live in Bakersfield, so drinking lots of water is the norm. What's up with the chromium picolinate? (seems like each new "good thing" becomes a "bad thing" after a while):idea:
Chromium Picolinate was a house wife fad of the early 90's.
It is a metabolism booster which will run rampid on your immune system because it's not used to it.
It will also do what any fat burner will do, it will release toxins from burned fat. Toxins are just the crap stored in your fat from bad food, alcohol and drugs.
These toxins will kick your butt, and can be expected during any fat loss. The first couple of weeks of fat loss and proper dieting are brutal. Make sure you eat right during fat burning and drink lots of water to ease the toxin burnout.
The other problem I have read about with it is that it will store in the pancreas and have long lasting effects on your body up to a month or more after last dose.
All together it isn't a good suppliment to use. You would be suprised what eating right and exercising does on it's own.

Riverless
09-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Nordic Naturals makes a fish oil gel tab that is lemon flavored, I think they have it in Strawberry too. Can't even taste the fish. Yes, they work well for joint pain too. They have Nordic Naturals at the Vitamin Shoppe and on their website.

AZJD
09-12-2007, 05:52 AM
You can get them in the hard shell that doesn't release until its beyond the stomach.

Not So Fast
09-12-2007, 06:12 AM
I'm with Phebus on the Beer thing. It even makes me a better dancer also.
In Bizzaro world maybe, sort of like Elaine from Seinfeld huh Bill :D
Try spending most of your life in construction and then turning 65, My everything hurts!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: NSF

HokeySon
09-12-2007, 06:14 AM
Getting old sucks. Parts just start to hurt.
What are you taking? What for and does it work????
Nicoteine, Caffeine -- up
Alcohol --- Down

NOTALENT
09-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Sounds like everyone answered with some good advice. The only thing I would add is some Shark Cartalidge. I have seen major improvements with it in both my shoulders after injuring them and being out for 6-8 months +. Now there are great.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-12-2007, 06:50 AM
I take a multi vitamin, calcium, fiber, and flax seed oil. I feel like a slug if I do not take my vitamins. Might be in my head but whatever works, right? :D
I tried the fish oil dealio but the after taste was too much for me. Some good advice on here, freezing it, very clever!! ;)
I also drink black/oolong tea every morning. And tons of water. Water makes me feel good. :)
Now you know the secrets to my beauty and radiance. :D LOL, jk

gramps
09-12-2007, 07:16 AM
I don't know what to tell you to take but I can tell you to AVOID too much vitamin A!!!!! It can (and did on my wife) a stroke on the optic nerve. Stick with the total RDA and don't go over, it's not like other vitamins that you piss out if you go overboard with them. "A" builds up in your body and can cause damage.

Mandelon
09-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Anyone try Melatonin for help with sleeping?
How about that Ocular Health stuff they advertise for eye improvements?
Keep laughing you healthy fukkers, it catches up eventually. I feel like Ron Wood... :D

Mrs.HLB
09-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Oh my god!! I am so glad you mentioned that.. I just bought my 1st Fish oil pills yesterday. My doctor recommended them due to my high cholestrol and young age.. I would not want to be burping up fish all day. That is gross!! Freezing will help? Someone else mentioned liquid fish oil pills, where do you get them? Sounds like they will be good for me..
Mrs.HLB

BarryMac
09-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I take a multi vitamin, calcium, fiber, and flax seed oil. I feel like a slug if I do not take my vitamins. Might be in my head but whatever works, right? :D
I tried the fish oil dealio but the after taste was too much for me. Some good advice on here, freezing it, very clever!! ;)
I also drink black/oolong tea every morning. And tons of water. Water makes me feel good. :)
Now you know the secrets to my beauty and radiance. :D LOL, jk
And the large TaTa's... ;)
Sounds like Fish Oil is the way to go, is there a pill that will help me remember to take one every day? :D
I'm looking for a good protien powder (Mandelon don't be gross) anyone have one that they highly recomend? and where do you buy yours???

bocco
09-12-2007, 09:12 AM
So here's my list.
1) Protien shake twice a day. I prefer Muscle Milk.
2) Oatmeal in the morning. Naturally lowers colesteral.
3) Tribulus. About 200MG a day. Stimulates testosterone production.
4) Nettle Root extract. Good for male prostate and promotes free testosterone levels.
5) Occasionally I use Maca root extract as well. Helps the body with hormone production and regulation.
You can read more about these last three at bodybuilding.com. Also pricing on these sort of sups is better at a health food store than at the local supplement store. It is all about hormones as we age. All of our hormone levels change and if you can keep them closer to where they were when you were younger the better you will feel.

NOTALENT
09-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Keep laughing you healthy fukkers, it catches up eventually. I feel like Ron Wood... :D
Didnt help me for shit. I have tried EVERYTHING! Over the counter and prescribed...some prescribed worked, but it got addictive. What ended up working was taking the TV out of my room, and not going on my computer at night. This way it sets your brain to sleep mode once you see your bed.....weird, but worked.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Sounds like Fish Oil is the way to go, is there a pill that will help me remember to take one every day? :D
I'm looking for a good protien powder (Mandelon don't be gross) anyone have one that they highly recomend? and where do you buy yours???
Those come from good Polish genes, not vitamins. LOL ;)

BarryMac
09-12-2007, 09:24 AM
So here's my list.
1) Protien shake twice a day. I prefer Muscle Milk.
They sell this at my gym, seems like a good price too, I will give it a try...
Those come from good Polish genes, not vitamins. LOL ;)
Hmmm, I thought it was from nummming them... ;) :D

hkunz
09-12-2007, 09:33 AM
I get the Carlson's lemon-flavored Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, keep it in the fridge and take a swig every morning right after my workout. Kills cottonmouth, and no fish burps. Also has health benefits mentioned earlier. I get it from Vitacost.com, along with most of the harder to get and more expensive supplements - the $4.95 shipping cost divides up nicely with a larger order, and no tax. They tax supplements in People's Demokratik Republik of Kalifornia.:devil:
I shop my local health food, grocery, and pharmacies for protien supplements. Between Von's 50% off on MetRX, Rite-Aid's $3 off on Mucsle Milk, and Costco's price for a six pound bag of EAS, you can get powders and liquids fairly cheaply any more. Not like the old days of muy expensive Weider whey tablets that you had to chew 30 of for one serving:(
I do mix my supplements, figuring they all must have some benefits, and since I don't have the time to keep up on all the research, I can take advantage of whatever unique benefits each has by changing them up, in addition to the "mucsle confusion" theories now popular.

bocco
09-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Hkunz mentioned MetRX. Although I don't currently use it. It is an excelent protien/meal replacement shake. It can be used like Slim Fast for wieght loss but with enough protien to build muscle.

XtrmWakeborder
09-12-2007, 11:38 AM
On 100% whey. I have had the double chocolate and the banana cream. Both are great, but the banana can be mixed with other stuff. 5lb tub lasts a while too. I had a 10ld bag of the chocolate, and kinda got tired of it. Bodybuilding.com

Mandelon
09-12-2007, 11:54 AM
On 100% whey. I have had the double chocolate and the banana cream. Both are great, but the banana can be mixed with other stuff. 5lb tub lasts a while too. I had a 10ld bag of the chocolate, and kinda got tired of it. Bodybuilding.com
I enjoy the strawberry flavor. Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. I drop in a whole banana and a vanilla yogurt. If your bananas start to go brown you can stick them in the fridge and they keep for a bit longer, they may get ugly outside but the flesh is still firm.......boy that sounds gay....:rolleyes:
Barry, those banana jokes are all yours baby! :D I tried a cookie flavor one time and it was alright, you could a couple tspoons of almond butter to it as well.
Check the cholesterol levels in the protein supps...some are way high. ON's is lower than most. The shake will keep me full enough to only need a late lunch.

BarryMac
09-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Barry, those banana jokes are all yours baby! :D
Not going to touch it... :D
The important thing to me is low in Sugar, some of these powders are very high in Sugar, I need to stay away from that. One thing that a very wise woman told me was to mix the Vanilla Powder with Orange Gatorade, it is very good, tastes like a 50/50 bar... The MetRX one that I've been using is good, but another wise ass pointed out to me that it was high in Trans Fats, not good... :(

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I use the EAS ( RiteAid and Target sells it if you don't go to SamsClub) and like it pretty well, especially with gatorade :D I think it has splenda or something in it. Very low carb.

RiverToysJas
09-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Extacy & Nyquil. Together it makes a great supplement to reality. ;)
RTJas :D

NashvilleBound
09-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Sleep is one of my worst battles... I just cant let go of work and the days going ons sometimes...... I tried Melatonin...OMG: The fricken craziest dreams EVER!!! I mean LOOOONEY! Course I took like 4 pills......but anyways.... wheewwww.... now I take Savons (Walgreens or simular) generic 100 pack for $15. Its the only one there with 100 for that price.... one pill a night when I feel that I am behind....1 hour before bed.... and Im out!
Your eye issue...try Vitimen B......should do the trick.

NashvilleBound
09-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Protien can be bought cheaper at www.massnutrition.com or www.prosource.net or www.bodybuilding.com Almost half of GNC.
For those of you who have high Chloresterol....like mine at 2800 at its peak (I thought that was pretty impressive :) Dont take Whey protien!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have tried all the egg protiens and some are NASTY....the best on is Xzience Chocolate egg protien. Only comes in 2lbs.... but its the ONLY one that does not taste like raw eggs. BARF!

RiverOtter
09-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Protien can be bought cheaper at www.massnutrition.com or www.prosource.net or www.bodybuilding.com Almost half of GNC.
For those of you who have high Chloresterol....like mine at 2800 at its peak (I thought that was pretty impressive :) Dont take Whey protien!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have tried all the egg protiens and some are NASTY....the best on is Xzience Chocolate egg protien. Only comes in 2lbs.... but its the ONLY one that does not taste like raw eggs. BARF!
:jawdrop: ............. 2 words .................. Car Dio :D

AZJD
09-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I agree on the whey protein. Find an isolate or time released protein. Protein shakes aren't desert! If it tastes like one it's too high in calories. Mix them with water or a small amount of nonfat milk.
X-Rated from GNC, hi-health is the best taste good protein shake I have found with a low amount of calories and decent protein level.
Don't get the huge mass builder protein shakes! You aren't a body builder with a 200g protein intake per day. 1-2 shakes a day is fine for the skinny dude or the guy just looking to replenish his muscles.
I took some PM fat burners that had Melatonin in them, and let me tell you I slept like a baby. The hang over is a little stiff for the first 3 days. Becareful not to grow dependant on them
The further you get in your training, the harder it is to sleep. Your body is burning all the time. Make sure you take your vitamins and energy mixes in the earlier part of the day. You will be awake all night.
I recommend N.O. Xplode for gym energy, but not too much, as it is a huge dose of B vitamins and it will crack you out.
Meal plans are easy to find on the web too. Find them and use them. YOUR DIET IS EVERYTHING! (my biggest challenge)

AZJD
09-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Also I use Equaline Fish oil with the "Enteric shell" coating. NO BURPS! Slow dissolve.....