PDA

View Full Version : Any electricians out there?

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Have a home electrical question for you.

cola
09-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Whats up

gome inc.
09-11-2007, 07:44 PM
?????

Trailer Park Casanova
09-11-2007, 07:45 PM
You use the neutral for a ground,,, Sub-panels have a seperate ground buss.
OR:
What's the question?

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 07:55 PM
My hallway lights will not turn on. I also have a switch for my garage interior lights on the same circuit, and they also do not work. I figured it was the breaker, but I switched it out twice, and no workie. I also changed the switches si I figure I must have lost a neutral connection somewhere along the way. Guess what I get to do tomorrow? Any other ideas?

maxwedge
09-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Could be open neutral or hot or something shorted, although that hopefully would have tripped the breaker. I would switch the breaker off and leave it that way until an electrician checks it out. Did you hang any pics recently or do something where you might have run a screw through a wire in the wall?
Also, this is pretty basic, but did you try replacing the bulbs?

YeLLowBoaT
09-11-2007, 08:06 PM
how old is the house? breakers regularly go bad.

SmokinLowriderSS
09-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Yep, lost connection somewhere, not nesessarally the neutral.
Do check the breaker first just to make sure you have got power transmission thru it.
No other anomolies?
Any outlets on the circuit?
Go get one of the 3-prong plug-in testors, and shove it in an outlet on teh circuit to help you diagnose it. They'll tell you of lost wiring, just not where.

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 08:08 PM
I just ran a test on all the plugs on the circuit in the garage and they have no power. I must have lost a neutral. When I first moved in 5 years ago, I ran a junction box off of my garage light. I am now guessing my neutral came loose.
Thanks for the help so far. Please keep it coming.

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 08:12 PM
When I run a tester to the first switch, I think, I get no power.

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 08:13 PM
I have tested and reset every GFI plug in on my property, it has not helped so far.

HMF'er
09-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Did you only pay half your electric bill last month?

TCHB
09-11-2007, 08:16 PM
It could be the power coming into the house before the meter. Do you have underground lines or overhead.
1. If underground
One of the llines could be grounded with insulation breakdown. Call Edison and they will check it out.
2. Overhead
Same problem before the meter breakdown in insulation.
You are loosing power to one side only. I bet it is the incoming line.

Phat Matt
09-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I would just build a salad made of a mountain of bacon and call it a day. ;)

WishIknew
09-11-2007, 08:19 PM
How many things actually dont work???

rrrr
09-11-2007, 08:21 PM
I just ran a test on all the plugs on the circuit in the garage and they have no power. I must have lost a neutral. When I first moved in 5 years ago, I ran a junction box off of my garage light. I am now guessing my neutral came loose.
Thanks for the help so far. Please keep it coming.
You're probably correct.
Do you know which circuit it is? If you don't, get a three prong tester as mentioned. It will identify plugs that have an energized hot but no neutral. If you have a meter, check for power between the hot and the ground, not the hot and neutral. When you find it, turn off the breaker and start physically checking the neutral connections in receptacle and switch boxes
The j box you installed is a good place to start. Work your way along the circuit, starting at the junction closest to the distribution panel.
Make sure you check the back of your receptacles if the neutral wires are plugged into the stripped wire openings instead of being landed on the screws. The friction retainer can become loose and allow the wire to escape.
This has happened twice in a friend's house. It just takes a little time to find it.

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Did you only pay half your electric bill last month? Very funny buddy. I am only working on a single income here.
JK

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 08:33 PM
It could be the power coming into the house before the meter. Do you have underground lines or overhead.
1. If underground
One of the llines could be grounded with insulation breakdown. Call Edison and they will check it out.
2. Overhead
Same problem before the meter breakdown in insulation.
You are loosing power to one side only. I bet it is the incoming line.
Thanks Tony. I have underground lines, and it just started two days ago. they worked fine prior. The switches have the back light, and it also no longer lights up. I definately have no power coming into the line. I am guessing I lost the neutral at the junction box. I am going out to check my neutrals at the box. If they are tight and not browned, I will check the breaker panel neutrals. Then I will check the junction box I had installed a few years back.
SAy Hi to Joyce for us. Did you buy that Spectre yet?

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 08:34 PM
You're probably correct.
Do you know which circuit it is? If you don't, get a three prong tester as mentioned. It will identify plugs that have an energized hot but no neutral. If you have a meter, check for power between the hot and the ground, not the hot and neutral. When you find it, turn off the breaker and start physically checking the neutral connections in receptacle and switch boxes
The j box you installed is a good place to start. Work your way along the circuit, starting at the junction closest to the distribution panel.
Make sure you check the back of your receptacles if the neutral wires are plugged into the stripped wire openings instead of being landed on the screws. The friction retainer can become loose and allow the wire to escape.
This has happened twice in a friend's house. It just takes a little time to find it.
Will a two rpong tester work on the switches like it does on teh plugs?

WishIknew
09-11-2007, 08:42 PM
THe problem is most likely in the 1st thing that doesnt work nearest the panel and not in the panel unless someone was in there messing around and you should use a tester with leads to test a switich

rrrr
09-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Will a two rpong tester work on the switches like it does on teh plugs?
The neutral won't be attached to the switches. The neutral wires will be in the box though, connected with a wire nut. Check those for a good connection.

MRSDRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:10 PM
He just checked all the conection at the first juction box. Re-wirenutted all three connections. No power to the plugs next in line.??????????:confused:

WishIknew
09-11-2007, 09:13 PM
What device is between the first box and the panel an outlet??????

YeLLowBoaT
09-11-2007, 09:14 PM
you have yet to check the breaker... check the breaker... they go out all the time. As a GC I get atleast 2 calls a month to come out and replace a bad breaker.

Havasu1986
09-11-2007, 09:16 PM
To quote Chevy Chase....220-221 whatever it takes. :D

MRSDRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:18 PM
I believe it is the at the junction box in the ceiling. All the other plugs in the garage have power, but they are on a different circuit. The plugs that run directly off of the primary junction box have no power. Anyone know a good electrician in the corona area? Help.

rrrr
09-11-2007, 09:19 PM
He just checked all the conection at the first juction box. Re-wirenutted all three connections. No power to the plugs next in line.??????????:confused:
The fun starts.....:D
Are you checking for voltage between hot and ground? If the neutral is broken you won't have voltage.
Did you check the back of the receptacle? If you have the push-in type connection that can cause the problem. Did you check light fixture boxes? They have neutral and power junctions too.
Maybe this will help:
http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/tourcircuit.htm

MRSDRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:20 PM
you have yet to check the breaker... check the breaker... they go out all the time. As a GC I get atleast 2 calls a month to come out and replace a bad breaker.
I switched it out first and no luck. I thought I might have bought a bad one, so I switched it with one I know works, and no luck. Still no power.

WishIknew
09-11-2007, 09:21 PM
What was this primary j box originaly?????the garage lite

MRSDRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:23 PM
The fun starts.....:D
Are you checking for voltage between hot and ground? If the neutral is broken you won't have voltage.
Did you check the back of the receptacle? If you have the push-in type connection that can cause the problem. Did you check light fixture boxes? They have neutral and power junctions too.
Maybe this will help:
http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/tourcircuit.htm
Thanks for the diagram. I am gonna have to wait til the Gordon Biersch wears off before I can make sense of that. I appreciate it though. I am about ready to throw my hands up and call in a professional.

MRSDRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:25 PM
What was this primary j box originaly?????the garage lite
There was only a light threre originally, but I wired in a few boxes in the ceiling so I could add a few more flourescent lights. They have worked fine for the past 4 years and then all of the sudden, poof. No power.

YeLLowBoaT
09-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I switched it out first and no luck. I thought I might have bought a bad one, so I switched it with one I know works, and no luck. Still no power.
did you check to see if it had power coming out of it?( really dumb Q, but unless you checked you really can't rule it out.)
If you do have power thru it, turn it off and start check for continuity in the hot and neutral... start at the 1st connection and work your way back. If at any point you don't find continuity, start at that point and check the rest.

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I would just build a salad made of a mountain of bacon and call it a day. ;)
Been there, done that. It is not the same without my buddies. See you next week.

WishIknew
09-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Is there a side door on your garage and does the lite by it work?????

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:29 PM
did you check to see if it had power coming out of it?( really dumb Q, but unless you checked you really can't rule it out.)
If you do have power thru it, turn it off and start check for continuity in the hot and neutral... start at the 1st connection and work your way back. If at any point you don't find continuity, start at that point and check the rest.
Can I check that with a two prong tester?
Sorry if that is elementary, but I just don't know?
Thanks for the help.

rrrr
09-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the diagram. I am gonna have to wait til the Gordon Biersch wears off before I can make sense of that. I appreciate it though. I am about ready to throw my hands up and call in a professional.
If you're gonna mix electricity and beer, at least have someone standing by with a video camera. :D :D
Good luck.

rrrr
09-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Can I check that with a two prong tester?
Sorry if that is elementary, but I just don't know?
Thanks for the help.
You can. Just put the wires on either side of the breaker. If it's not allowing voltage through the tester will light.

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Is there a side door on your garage and does the lite by it work?????
Yes. It has a different switch, but it still works.??????

WishIknew
09-11-2007, 09:33 PM
are the switiches inthe same box

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:34 PM
If you're gonna mix electricity and beer, at least have someone standing by with a video camera. :D :D
Good luck.
Good tip. The wife is at the ready in the event of a melt down.

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:36 PM
are the switiches inthe same box
Different sides of the garage. When I throw the breaker for the area with the problem, the other light still works.

WishIknew
09-11-2007, 09:40 PM
How do you know what breaker feeds the problem area and do you have a wire lead type tester????

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Man, I should have paid more attention in shop class........

WishIknew
09-11-2007, 09:42 PM
electricity is like water it just takes 2 pipes to make it flow

YeLLowBoaT
09-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I shot you a PM... if you really need help you can always give me a buz...

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:44 PM
How do you know what breaker feeds the problem area and do you have a wire lead type tester????
trial and error from when I first moved in. I turned everything on and then I tripped each breaker independently to see what turned off and then labled it.
The only type tester I have is one with two prongs. =When I put it in a socket, the light turns on if there is power. No light, no power. Do I need something else? Aside from a good electrician? LOL

YeLLowBoaT
09-11-2007, 09:45 PM
trial and error from when I first moved in. I turned everything on and then I tripped each breaker independently to see what turned off and then labled it.
The only type tester I have is one with two prongs. =When I put it in a socket, the light turns on if there is power. No light, no power. Do I need something else? Aside from a good electrician? LOL
not if you want to pay some one to come fix it...

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:46 PM
I really appreciate all of the help. I owe all of you a beer. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:47 PM
not if you want to pay some one to come fix it...
That definately seems to be where I am heading. Some things are best left to the professionals. Plus, I don't want to get the crap shocked out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YeLLowBoaT
09-11-2007, 09:48 PM
If I do end up coming out that way this weekend... I'm cheap... I work for beer...

uLtRADeNniS
09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Maybe the first outlet from the panel theat powers everything else is your problem. (If you have power at the panel)
Coulda been a back stabbed wire that came loose.
What kind of tester are you using?

WishIknew
09-11-2007, 09:50 PM
PM me your # I will call you I am an EC in claremont

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:52 PM
PM me your # I will call you I am an EC in claremont
Done, Thanks

DRMCAT
09-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Maybe the first outlet from the panel theat powers everything else is your problem. (If you have power at the panel)
Coulda been a back stabbed wire that came loose.
What kind of tester are you using?
I wish I knew. I have one that I bought to check my outlets. The two pronged type. I am sure I need something more high tech. Aside from my IQ.

DRMCAT
09-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Well just let me give a huge thanks to "IwishIknew." Don you are a lifesaver, and a very nice guy to boot.
He offers to come over and help. Says he'll be here at 6PM. Guess what? He shows up at 5:59, with tools. We introduce ourselves and he dives right in to the problem. After about 7 minutes, he pinpoints the problem. 5 more and it is all fixed. Then we stand around talking for awhile, and it turns out we have a few mutual friends. What a small world.
This just reaffirms my faith in the inherent good in all of us.
Don, thanks again for your help. It is very appreciated.
Thanks also to everyone else who offered advice, and even to come and help fix it over the weekend.
You guys are all "ACES" in my book.

Phat Matt
09-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, what was the problem?
The bulbs were burned out. :D

WishIknew
09-12-2007, 08:05 PM
One hot wire was out of the wire nut in the box before the garage switich that wasnt installed properly by the original electrician

carreraelite
09-12-2007, 08:13 PM
It Was Broken.....:D

cola
09-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Well just let me give a huge thanks to "IwishIknew." Don you are a lifesaver, and a very nice guy to boot.
He offers to come over and help. Says he'll be here at 6PM. Guess what? He shows up at 5:59, with tools. We introduce ourselves and he dives right in to the problem. After about 7 minutes, he pinpoints the problem. 5 more and it is all fixed. Then we stand around talking for awhile, and it turns out we have a few mutual friends. What a small world.
Thanks also to everyone else who offered advice, and even to come and help fix it over the weekend.
You guys are all "ASSES" in my book.
Did he call us asses,:D
Glad you got it fixed, I went to bed before you came back to the thread last night. Now lets go to Havasu.
Mike

Baja Big Dog
09-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Nice guy , but hes gay, Ill bet he wanted to open your beer for you!!!:D

WishIknew
09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Nice guy , but hes gay, Ill bet he wanted to open your beer for you!!!:D
Thanks Baja :D :D :D LOL :D :D :D LOL:D :D :D get my drift????

Baja Big Dog
09-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks Baja :D :D LOL :D :D LOL:D :D get my drift????
LOL :D LOL:) :idea: LOL: ;) ...GOT IT!!!

WishIknew
09-13-2007, 07:32 PM
It was my pleasure to help out and tell Cory hi if he remembers me and one thing did the kid man up or not you never told me ????

blackcloud75
09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppp:D

blackcloud75
09-13-2007, 08:43 PM
It was my pleasure to help out and tell Cory hi if he remembers me and one thing did the kid man up or not you never told me ????
??????

Classic Daycruiser
09-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Let me Guess, The GFI tripped and all the power in the garage and a few other circuits lost power. Find the outlet that has the breaker and press it. It might be either in the kitchen, Bathroom, or Garage:D :D :D

PaPaG
09-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey WishI, Sorry I spilled the beans...no more talk about HB to the wifes..lol :D

WishIknew
09-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Let me Guess, The GFI tripped and all the power in the garage and a few other circuits lost power. Find the outlet that has the breaker and press it. It might be either in the kitchen, Bathroom, or Garage:D :D :D
WRONG!!!!! And thats why I am at the river and your at home:D :D

WishIknew
09-13-2007, 10:08 PM
??????
DW JR Across the street~~~~~:D :D :D PS I got a clue

blackcloud75
09-16-2007, 09:15 AM
DW JR Across the street~~~~~:D :D :D PS I got a clue
Across the street??????......I got no clue

Baja Big Dog
09-16-2007, 10:06 AM
No need to guess, tha answer was posted below!!!:D
One hot wire was out of the wire nut in the box before the garage switich that wasnt installed properly by the original electrician