PDA

View Full Version : powerboat photo chopper crash

Scapegoat1
09-11-2007, 10:22 PM
God Speed to those lost
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/powerboat.jpg

TeamHawaiin
09-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah....I saw that on FOX news this morning. What was more amazing is the chopper was flying so low the boat hit the chopper. I guess it bounced up and when it hit a wake. They were filming a commercial from the details I got on it. I thought about there families loss. Post more details if you get them....thanks

deltarat
09-12-2007, 06:04 AM
You know Bob has always seemed like a real stand up guy to me, I dont think that the boat hit the copter while it was in the air. I have seen the photos of the damage to the boat and they show to me that at some point
there was some contact, however I think it was while Bob and his model were in the water trying to save the lives of these people.
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=CF7FFF65982FDDF5E13E51B3660C5278 ?contentId=4332410&version=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

BadKachina
09-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Says right in the interview that he did not hit the chopper. Either way it doesn't really matter. What a tragedy for the families involved. :(

Throttle
09-12-2007, 06:59 AM
saw this on the news last nite, but the story was very short... thoughts and prayers...

Big Warlock
09-12-2007, 06:59 AM
A real tragedy for everyone involved. Godspeed to those who lost their lives.

Mr. C
09-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Tragedy indeed, they think it was debris from the crash that hit the boat.
http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=D1006411C985D5197955FB41FE0D87C2 ?contentId=4331287&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

Dave C
09-12-2007, 07:43 AM
its those damn "cigarette" boats ;)...
J/K god bless the families....:(
BTW isn't that the skater that was just built and posted on Cats, tunnels and rhinos section?

MRSDRMCAT
09-12-2007, 08:15 AM
So sad for everyone involved! Thank goodness the model was an emergency room nurse. Stated she jumped in and saved the pilots life!

RiverDave
09-12-2007, 09:23 AM
its those damn "cigarette" boats ;)...
J/K god bless the families....:(
BTW isn't that the skater that was just built and posted on Cats, tunnels and rhinos section?
Yes it is..
RD

Froggystyle
09-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Bob didn't hit the helo during the shoot. It did get impacted after the accident though from what it looks like by debris.
My understanding of the accident at this point from folks who were there is that the helo just dropped like a rock while filming in front of the boat. I understand the Bob yanked the boat hard to keep from hitting the helo, probably saved Mark's life in the process and is really lucky to have avoided getting hurt from what it sounds like.
I knew Tom Newby and know Mark Watters. I did not know the videographer, but was scheduled to have him shoot the boat next week at the evaluations, which are now postponed.
Hats off to Bob and the model for both great response during the accident and quickly doing whatever they could to revive the guys. They likely saved Mark.
We will be thinking about Tom for a long time. He was a great guy, a friend to all who knew him and one of the best boat photographers I have ever seen. He will be hugely missed by the community, and we can only hope that Mark has a full recovery and gets back in the game.
I was at Teague Custom Marine yesterday about 1 hour after we all found out the news and the whole place is shaken. What was nice to see was the dozens of phone calls that came in from all ends of the industry checking to make sure that Bob was alright.
Everyone is reading these threads, so let's keep the important things in focus here and not let the tone devolve if possible.

JB in so cal
09-12-2007, 09:29 AM
The lone survivor is married to a local KABC tv reporter.

slink
09-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Mark is a contract/civilian pilot for our airship (helicopter) here at Corona PD. Super nice guy. Lot of prayers being said in the last two days.

H20 Toie
09-12-2007, 10:14 AM
It is so sad
I just met Tom this year
RIP