PDA

View Full Version : 496 mag sea pump alternatives

496mag
09-12-2007, 05:48 PM
well I have to replace my brass sea pump on my 2003 merc 496 mag. I was just with my mechanic and he said that some one in havasu is modifing the pumps so they will not get grooves from the sand in the brass at the top and bottom of the impeller. Has anyone heard of this and or know of any other alternatives? I have the pump that has the pressure sensor and does not have vacume lines.
thanks

jayd_jr
09-12-2007, 06:01 PM
well I have to replace my brass sea pump on my 2003 merc 496 mag. I was just with my mechanic and he said that some one in havasu is modifing the pumps so they will not get grooves from the sand in the brass at the top and bottom of the impeller. Has anyone heard of this and or know of any other alternatives? I have the pump that has the pressure sensor and does not have vacume lines.
thanks
So was the alarm going off on Low Pressure? Or does it just look worn? Make sure you replace the sensor first if it was alarming. That would have saved me 400 dollars for the brass pump.

BOBALOO
09-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Savage Marine in Havasu has the machined 496 pumps in stock for a fraction of what they cost new. I dont know how much they are though.

496mag
09-12-2007, 06:12 PM
So was the alarm going off on Low Pressure? Or does it just look worn? Make sure you replace the sensor first if it was alarming. That would have saved me 400 dollars for the brass pump.
I am getting 1 psi on idle but it is intermitent. My mechanic said it should be 3psi. i was getting an alrm for overtemp but this was a heat exchanger blocked with rocks.

Kilrtoy
09-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Call Savage marine in Havasu they are the only shop that does these, be glad you don't have a new 496 as the price on those is expensive

jayd_jr
09-13-2007, 07:02 AM
I am getting 1 psi on idle but it is intermitent. My mechanic said it should be 3psi. i was getting an alrm for overtemp but this was a heat exchanger blocked with rocks.
I would change the pressure the sensor on the back of the motor ( $40.00) and its easy to do. Then see where it reads especially if its intermitent. The sensor could be going bad.
Good Luck!

JB in so cal
09-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Call Savage marine in Havasu they are the only shop that does these, be glad you don't have a new 496 as the price on those is expensive
Make sure to be nice to the person answering the phone:)

Kilrtoy
09-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Make sure to be nice to the person answering the phone:)
You would be amazed at how many people blame her and yell at her.