PDA

View Full Version : Maui 411

skyskier
09-13-2007, 07:01 AM
My wife and a couple of her girl friends are leaving saturday. Anybody with any ideas, places to go, things to do WITHOUT the guided "tourist", bus tour type stuff? Any MUST SEE/DO activities?
Thanking you in advance,
Skyskier

fat rat
09-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Take the road to Hanna and keep on following it around the island......it does turn to dirt in area's, but very scenic.

blown dough
09-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Lahania lots of shopping and restaurants right on the water

Cigalert
09-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Take the road to Hanna and keep on following it around the island......it does turn to dirt in area's, but very scenic.
The road to Hanna is sweet. Make a pit stop at the 7 pools.

That Guy
09-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Mama's Fish house is a must and also have drinks at sunset at the Kapalua Bay club....have fun!

sponger_2
09-13-2007, 07:28 AM
the road to hana is cool if you dont get car sick. definitely go to lahaina, and take a snorkel boat to turtle island( its actually a bay) also a good cove to snorkel in is honolua bay. http://gohawaii.about.com/od/maui/ss/west_maui_north_2.htm also when you go snorkeling go buy some frozen peas first as it will attract every kind of fish possible. have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
09-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina (sp?)

H2O
09-13-2007, 07:34 AM
If you don't mind "getting your hippy on", the firedancing show on (clothing optional) Little Beach on Sundays at sunset is fun, different and free.

MBlaster
09-13-2007, 07:38 AM
You gonna let those girls go without you?

skyskier
09-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Somebody's gotta stay behind to feed the critters an clean the corralls :rolleyes: 2 horses, a donkey, 6 goats, 4 dogs...................I sure miss my kids!

DeltaSigBoater
09-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina (sp?)
Best Blue Cheese Bacon Burger I've ever had.
Old Lahaina Town
811 Front Street
Lahaina, Hawaii 96761

roostwear
09-13-2007, 08:05 AM
There's a half day quad tour up the side of Haleakala(?). More than worth the money, but rent the overalls they offer. Trust me....:D

2Driver
09-13-2007, 08:58 AM
If you do the road around the island (road to Hana) keep going all the way around and don’t double back. It is an easy dirt road despite what the rental car companies say.
At the high point on the road be sure to stop at the little church that has Charles Limburg's grave. It is a 1 room church and the view from his grave site is unreal. You have to look around to find his grave. Be sure to lock up if you take a jeep as the goats will raid your jeep. We had one that ate our groceries then would not get off the roof of our jeep soft top.
Go down some of the local side roads and you will find people have flower arrangements (grown on their property) set out by the road to buy on an honor system. Get the Mrs a bunch, for $5 you get a $150 worth of exotic flowers. We had them stuck all over our jeep. Lots of roadside coconut and Pakalolo vendors too, although we only took part in the coconuts. :)

DILLIGAF
09-13-2007, 09:04 AM
More ideas please.....I am going next month with SinCal his wife and my girl. The only thing for sure we are doing is the Road to Hannah via Harleys (done it before) as well as the sunrise thing. I have been there before but looking for fresh ideas. This was very good timing on this thread :)

hkunz
09-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Snorkel over by Molokini (yeah, it's a tour, but worth it).
Take a Jeep out in the lava flows going as far south as possible on the west side - amazing moonscape.
Downhill bicycle, the 3AM departure gets the best view of sunrise, and over 38 miles you only have to pedal about 200 yards.

reb939
09-13-2007, 10:07 AM
The Luau in Lahaina is the best. Great food, great show, drinks included.
Also go to Ka‘anapali Beach The women will love the overpriced shopping, while you go to the Hula Grill for drinks on the beach.
Road to Hana is a must with a stop at the 7 pools
Have Fun!!

skyskier
09-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Are you on the water @ canyon lake today?

BowTie Rick
09-13-2007, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=hkunz;2787382]Snorkel over by Molokini (yeah, it's a tour, but worth it).
QUOTE]
Yep, what he said

BALLSDEEP
09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Check out the Tedeschi winery, its kind of cool. They have some good wines, try the pineapple wine.

reb939
09-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Are you on the water @ canyon lake today?
I Wish

mobldj
09-13-2007, 11:34 AM
better than the road to hana,last week we cruised hawaii,in maui go to kehie and rent some bikes, we rented 2 harleys and the girls had honda shadows,go to lahina,only keep going and the road takes you around the upper side of maui,road is paved all the way but some spots gets to one lane,xlnt ride and ends up in the harbor area,we ran out of time(had to get to useless luau),harleys rented 24 hours for 139.hondas for 89.if you ride you gotta do it.

ELVIS
09-13-2007, 11:50 AM
check out "Big Beach" just south of Kihei.

drtywhat
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
check out "Big Beach" just south of Kihei.
Then go north over the little rock hill to little beach and see the nudie tanned women.

skyskier
09-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Sounds great to me :) .........Now the girls wanna know where the nudie boy's beach is:eek:

Insurance God
09-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Lahania lots of shopping and restaurants right on the water
I don't care for the shopping :D but there are a lot of good restaurants there. Also head North about 15 min to the Plantation great breakfast & a great view of the gold course & ocean.
I just got back & the Sunset cruise on Gemini was cool. All you can drink (and they have good drinks) and appetizers as well. The cruise was approx 2.5 hours and cost 55 bucks - pretty good deal I thought.

drtywhat
09-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Sounds great to me :) .........Now the girls wanna know where the nudie boy's beach is:eek:
well theres them too...but didnt want to say it:rolleyes:

shippingguy
09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
More ideas please.....I am going next month with SinCal his wife and my girl. The only thing for sure we are doing is the Road to Hannah via Harleys (done it before) as well as the sunrise thing. I have been there before but looking for fresh ideas. This was very good timing on this thread :)
We will be there Oct. 12-19. We are staying at the Westin for our 2 year anniversary with another couple. When will you be there?
Mike

rmarion
09-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Lahania = shopping and some night life activies (Food = Bubba Gumps, Ruth Chris, Milgilcutty LOL sp, Longi's)
Java Jazz @ Great Breakfast location, across street from Kanapalli Shores Condos (and old Embassy Hotel/ pink building) in shopping -
Snorkling = Freebies, p/u snorkle map free at any dive shops. Best spots IMO Honulua Bay (north of Kapalua), Shearton - Black Rock and mile marker 14.
Parasailing - great location out front of Whalers Village at Beach Front
Zip Line Tour, http://www.zipline.com/, I've done both, do the least expensive first...
cheap golf, Pukalani & Muni course at Waiehu
Best Beach - Kaanipali Beach

DILLIGAF
09-13-2007, 01:30 PM
We will be there Oct. 12-19. We are staying at the Westin for our 2 year anniversary with another couple. When will you be there?
Mike
20th to the 27th......I think we are right by the Westin. Don't know the name of the place though.
We were hoping that Heavy D's son would be playing against HI while we were there. His son plays for Utah State but they play them on 10-6

H2O
09-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Not that anyone cares, but we'll be there too, Sep 21-28. You just can't beat bodysurfing on Little Beach "as nature intended".
PS - Beginners tip#1 - don't ride the break all the way up onto shore or you'll be finding sand in the strangest places for days. Beginners tip #2 - don't bodysurf too close to a local named Frank. (He could put an eye out with that thing!)
PSS - Little Beach is to the left and Big Beach to the right in the photo.

shippingguy
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
20th to the 27th......I think we are right by the Westin. Don't know the name of the place though.
We were hoping that Heavy D's son would be playing against HI while we were there. His son plays for Utah State but they play them on 10-6
We will just miss ya. Very cool. It will be a good time I cannot wait.
Mike

DILLIGAF
09-13-2007, 01:39 PM
We will just miss ya. Very cool. It will be a good time I cannot wait.
Mike
Either can I! Looking forward to eating a lot of calamari :)

totenhosen
09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Best Blue Cheese Bacon Burger I've ever had.
Old Lahaina Town
811 Front Street
Lahaina, Hawaii 96761
Most overrated Burger joint ever!

totenhosen
09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
If you do the Luau thing go to Old Lahaina Luau. Book as far in advance as possible.

shippingguy
09-13-2007, 03:14 PM
If you do the Luau thing go to Old Lahaina Luau. Book as far in advance as possible.
I second this. We are doing that Luau. We did it two years ago for our honeymoon. Best one around by far. We booked it last week for our trip in Oct. Pretty much any seat you get is a good one.

UltraBigDaddy
09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Good afternoon everyone, new to the Forums, I liked this one... Maui is beautiful and the Hanna trip around the island is gorgeous, but be careful if its raining, she will get stuck... Not paved once you get past the 7 falls and very narrow. My son and I did it last decemeber and made it through, but when it rained next day, several cars were stuck and Rental Companies give you an outrages Fee... Also do not tell them that you plan on goig to hanna, they know....lol
also if she can handle it, take the Chpper tour for at least one hour, t goes by fast and you truly get to see things that you normally would never see...
Hurst

DeltaSigBoater
09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Most overrated Burger joint ever!
I'll give you that it is overrated, but when you've spent a good portion of the day drinking Mai-Tais, eating a cheeseburger sounds like a good at the time.

DILLIGAF
09-13-2007, 10:46 PM
I second this. We are doing that Luau. We did it two years ago for our honeymoon. Best one around by far. We booked it last week for our trip in Oct. Pretty much any seat you get is a good one.
Is this the same place you are staying? This is where we will be for a week.
http://www.westinkaanapali.com/?PS=PS_aa_SSP_Hawaii_The_Westin_Ka'anapali_Ocean_R esort_Villas_POP_060107_NAD_FM

shippingguy
09-14-2007, 06:35 AM
http://www.westinkaanapali.com/?PS=PS_aa_SSP_Hawaii_The_Westin_Ka'anapali_Ocean_R esort_Villas_POP_060107_NAD_FM
Yeah that is where we will be for the week. We will be in the hotel not the vilas. Too bad it is the week before you guys. on our honeymoon we stayed at the Hyatt which was awesome. I have heard the Westin's pools are really nice.
Mike

OnlyMoney
09-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Hey D,
There's a small state park right off of the parking lot there, head towards the Sheraton (rocky point) on the walkway and the first house you see is where we stayed/got married in July. :) You're at a great location island wise. Close enough, yet far away enough. Have fun!

riverliver
09-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Mike
The wife and I will be at the Westin also for are 20th anniversary starting Oct. 14th

shippingguy
09-14-2007, 07:27 AM
The wife and I will be at the Westin also for are 20th anniversary starting Oct. 14th
Very cool. Our anniversary is on the 15th. We fly out on the 12th and come home on the 19th. Well hopefully we run into each other.
Mike

UltraStealth
09-14-2007, 10:07 AM
I was in Maui back in May and we stayed at the Kaanapali Alii. It is inbetween the Westin and Marriott on Kaanapali beach. If you haven't stayed there, try it. We had a two bedroom condo Oceanfront. View was incredible. The pool isn't as big as some of the other major hotels, but the accomidations are great. If you haven't done the road to Hana then it's a must. See the 7 Pools but be careful on the one lane road past Hana.
Lahaina is always fun at night. Plenty of good places to eat. The shopping is good in Lahaina and Whalers Village in Kaanapali. Also, down in Wailea there is shopping as well. Drive past Wailea and there is some cool areas to stop. It is mostly volcanic rock on the south side of the island, but if you have never been it is a must see. If you make the trek to Little Beach, then you might as well check out the lava rock a little more south.