PDA

View Full Version : Best TV for Video Games????????

Boozer
09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
As of current I have a 50" Widescreen projection HDTV. The TV has been great but it's time to move on to something that doesn't take up so much space.
I was at Best Buy checking out a few different 42" plasmas that I really liked but 2 different sales people were very adament about telling me you can absolutely NOT play video games on a plasma due to burn in issues. They then told me I should get an LCD flat panel if I want to play video games.
I don't play video games often. Usually friends come over, get drunk, and we play Mario golf and a few others on the Wii. Other then the drunkin nights with the friends the game system is hardly used so I would say it accounts for maybe 10% of the total usage.
I want something 37-42" with a contrast ratio of at least 6,000:1. I do not want to spend more then $1,100.00. What do you guys recommend?

One Particular Harbor
09-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Most of the plasma manufacturers now claim that their burn-in resistence is about equivalent to that of a standard CRT television. By the way, CRT's will burn-in, but typically over the course of 10+ years.
I bought a 42" LCD about a year ago specifically because I knew the kids would be playing video games on it and would, at various points, pause their games and leave them on all afternoon. However, I wouldn't hesitate now to purchase a plasma and most people like the plasma picture better for viewing.
From what I have read, Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer all score well for burn-in resistance.

Racey
09-13-2007, 11:29 PM
The new active backlight LCD's are the way to go, they have an infinite contrast ratio which really helps showing detail in darker scenes, they can show down to pure black, plus they will not burn an image like plasmas will if left on. I think samsung has them out now. but they don't fit in the $1,100 budget, once you see one in person it's all you'll ever want though.

hoolign
09-14-2007, 12:38 AM
I picked up a Optima projector and screen for around 4K ..and that's the only way to play HALO! Remote screen just tucks itself away and only a a small projector hanging from the ceiling. The bonus with good projection units is beingable to point them at any decent surface and actually get a 300" wide pcture. I point mine at the barn and pull out the WII when we have parties.

Jyruiz
09-14-2007, 06:51 AM
The new active backlight LCD's are the way to go, they have an infinite contrast ratio which really helps showing detail in darker scenes, they can show down to pure black, plus they will not burn an image like plasmas will if left on. I think samsung has them out now. but they don't fit in the $1,100 budget, once you see one in person it's all you'll ever want though.
Don't put to much stake into contrast ratio measurements, there is no standard on how to measure contrast and all manufacturers exaggerate their results and measure contrast differently. The only flat panel/digital display that is the closest to true black levels are the Pioneer Kuro series plasmas. The Kuros also don't fit in the $1100.00 budget.