PDA

View Full Version : Question about going short shaft...............

HavasuDreamin'
06-19-2002, 06:19 AM
I know that a guy by the name of Wayne Taylor out of Alabama makes custom 15" midsections for all motor types. I have seen a few of the midsections and they are really nice pieces. Custom one piece aluminum midsections with the integrated off shore exhaust snout. They are not cheap at around $1,500, but they are really sharp looking pieces.
My questions are regarding the drive shaft. To cut a driveshaft previously used for a 20" midsection down 5" to fit a 15" midsection, what is involved? I know the gearcase needs to be taken apart so the shaft can slide out, but is it as simple as chopping 5" out of the middle of it and welding it back together? If so, how are they welded and does it need to be balanced prior to putting it back in the gearcase? Also, what needs to be done to the bracket assembly? It needs to be trimmed as well, but what is involved?
Anyone with experience doing this? Thanks.

snappertapper
06-19-2002, 06:12 PM
i dont have much expirence with this but if it was me instead of welding the shaft back together i would cut it down and just use a die grinder to put the splines back on it because it would seem that the weld would be weakerbut i am not sure, anyone else have an opinion on this

CrazyHippy
06-19-2002, 10:05 PM
No experiance specifically to this, but i would assume that the splines are hardened(95% sure), and if so you would have to re-treat them if you were to cut new ones, which is why they cut a section out of the middle.
With car axles, you can have them shortend and welded, or you can have new ones made, might want to peruse that avenue.
BJH

snappertapper
06-20-2002, 04:01 AM
How hard would it be to re-treat them though?

HavasuDreamin'
06-20-2002, 06:20 AM
Yeah, I know you can buy a new shorter shaft.....at least for the 2.5L series, but I am not sure if I can or not for the 2.4L series. Besides, not that money is an object, but I would think it would be much more expensive to buy a new shaft than to have mine cut down. Even so, if I could find a new one, I would probably buy it! I have heard that most guys chop a piece out of the center.
Anyone else with thoughts on this topic?

stressedout
06-20-2002, 07:55 AM
Don't know a whole lot about short shafts on outboards, but I do know about driveshafts, I have had many custom made for hotrods and v drives.They cut the yoke off then cut the shaft,then weld the yoke back on.Always have them balanced after doing this. Go to a reputable driveline shop that specializes in this. I use dayton clutch and driveline in dayton oh. Hope this helps.

snappertapper
06-22-2002, 06:12 PM
Havasudreamin just thought i would let you know there is a 15" 2.5L gearcase forsale on Ebay under the outboards category needs work check it out
here is the site
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1838177969