PDA

View Full Version : Question

Longtime Lurker
02-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Okay stereo guys, I have asked questions in the past and have gotten great answers, so I'm going to the well again. :)
I recently picked up a 2004 Mini Cooper S for my wife and I'm looking to upgrade the stereo a little. The stereo is currently the standard stereo, it's called a boost system. What I would like is a stereo with ipod hook up and possibly satelite radio.
I went to best buy tonight and the guy there recommended the following:
Alpine 9856 HU. I'm familiar with the alpine stuff, as I have the 9851 and 420i in my truck. Why is the new unit so much Cheaper?
I asked about upgrading the speakers. I'm not looking for too much of anything. I would like a clear, and little louder, and a little bass. Definately no sub. He recommended Infinity Reference series for my components up front and Infinity Reference 6x9 in the back powered by an Alpine amp. The speakers sounded good, but I'm sure they will sound different in the car. i wasn't sold on the amp, mostly due to size. I would like something small.
What do you guys think of this set up? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Robert

Longtime Lurker
02-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Bueller........Bueller........
somebody, anybody?

Longtime Lurker
02-28-2006, 06:58 AM
no opinions?

Flashover
03-01-2006, 09:43 AM
no opinions?
If you want affordable component speakers up front then look into JL, Boston Acoustics or Polk Audio. you can usually get them for a good deal. or you can step it up and go for MB Quart or Diamond Audio. Either way you will want a four channel amp with at least 65w rms per channel. I would go with an american made amp such as a Rockford, Phoenix Gold, Kicker, PPI. There are plenty to choose from. have fun. I don't know if you will still be able to use your IPod interface with the aftermarket deck though. You should look into it if that is important to you. :crossx: :crossx:

ROZ
03-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Okay stereo guys, I have asked questions in the past and have gotten great answers, so I'm going to the well again. :)
I recently picked up a 2004 Mini Cooper S for my wife and I'm looking to upgrade the stereo a little. The stereo is currently the standard stereo, it's called a boost system. What I would like is a stereo with ipod hook up and possibly satelite radio.
I went to best buy tonight and the guy there recommended the following:
Alpine 9856 HU. I'm familiar with the alpine stuff, as I have the 9851 and 420i in my truck. Why is the new unit so much Cheaper?
I asked about upgrading the speakers. I'm not looking for too much of anything. I would like a clear, and little louder, and a little bass. Definately no sub. He recommended Infinity Reference series for my components up front and Infinity Reference 6x9 in the back powered by an Alpine amp. The speakers sounded good, but I'm sure they will sound different in the car. i wasn't sold on the amp, mostly due to size. I would like something small.
What do you guys think of this set up? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Robert
Robert,
Most of the time MFG's add more features at lower prices as the future roll on... The 9856 isn't like the 9855 , though.. The 55 has 4v rca outputs, and the 56 doesn't. The 06 4volt preout model is about 225.00 more retail than the 05 9855...
Do you remember what Amp they suggested? MRVF345, maybe? I can do Boston SL series speakers at a pretty good rate
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/images/400x400/SL60.jpg
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/images/400x400/SL95.jpg

Longtime Lurker
03-01-2006, 09:18 PM
If you want affordable component speakers up front then look into JL, Boston Acoustics or Polk Audio. you can usually get them for a good deal. or you can step it up and go for MB Quart or Diamond Audio. Either way you will want a four channel amp with at least 65w rms per channel. I would go with an american made amp such as a Rockford, Phoenix Gold, Kicker, PPI. There are plenty to choose from. have fun. I don't know if you will still be able to use your IPod interface with the aftermarket deck though. You should look into it if that is important to you. :crossx: :crossx:
The guy at best buy mentioned Polk Audio, said he put them in his car, even though they don't sell it. He mentioned infinity, and said they will be stocking them soon. I'll have to read about the JL. Problem I have is that I'm very challenged as to my knowledge about this stuff.
As far as the amp goes, I'm really clueless. Size is an issue, as it can't be exposed or my wife will kick my ass.
My understanding with that particular Alpine HU is that it has a cable that that plugs into the Ipod, and it is suppose to read quicker and have a better sound than the older models with the 420i adapter.

Longtime Lurker
03-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Robert,
Most of the time MFG's add more features at lower prices as the future roll on... The 9856 isn't like the 9855 , though.. The 55 has 4v rca outputs, and the 56 doesn't. The 06 4volt preout model is about 225.00 more retail than the 05 9855...
Do you remember what Amp they suggested? MRVF345, maybe? I can do Boston SL series speakers at a pretty good rate
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/images/400x400/SL60.jpg
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/images/400x400/SL95.jpg
Roz,
I don't think I've even seen the 9855. :rollside: Which is this that you speak of? RCA outputs are for amps and such right? I would also need one for satelite and one for my Ipod right? Where do they sell it (is it a speciality item?)?So, if I read this right, the 9856 should go for $425? That might not be feesible right now if I want to do speakers and an amp too.
I don't remember the amp they suggested. it was a lower end one, maybe 150W, 4ohms, retailed for about $230. Sound familiar? My problem with the amp is where to put it. The Minis with the upgraded sound system have a small amp (about the size of a VCR tape) that is tucked away in the boot (trunk) side compartment. I was told installs are tough, because the Mini's wiring is very compact and hard to get too.
I'm interested in the speakers, can you PM me?
By the way Roz, congrats on the career change. Remember, when one door closes, 2 always open.

Longtime Lurker
03-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Flashover and Roz,
By the way, thanks for the imput.
Robert

ROZ
03-01-2006, 10:00 PM
The CDA9856 is kinda considered one of ALpine's entry level units. Still packed with a lot of features and can run the IPOD direct connect(using kca422 cable) vs having to run an IPOD adaptor (kca420i)
New CDA9856
http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/images/cda-9856.jpg
CDA9855
It has a slide control at the bottom.. and is 4v preouts(RCA plugs that connect signal to amp through a cable)
http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca/ImagesCar/Products/DecksCloseUpALPCDA9855.jpg
considered to be 55's replacement : DVA9861 (dvd, cd, etc) 650.00 list
http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/images/dva-9861.jpg
I know the amp the ofered. The MRPF245 or 250... It has a pretty small footprint..

ROZ
03-01-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm interested in the speakers, can you PM me?
I'll get ya in the morning...
By the way Roz, congrats on the career change. Remember, when one door closes, 2 always open.
Never heard that before..I like it :)

roln 20s
03-01-2006, 10:15 PM
I went with the Alpine 9855 for my new boat--I'm sure it will be excellent :0 Oh yeah, thanks ROZ :) :D ROZ will definitely help you-- very helpful for my stereo. Shockwavebob is a great stereo guy too, and he has the 9855 in his boat too!
Roln 20s

Longtime Lurker
03-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I couldn't find the 55 on alpine's website. Since it's an 05, does that mean it's extinct? How does the slide control work? I heard there were some problems with it. or was that an earlier model. This is definatley a nice looking unit. May have to consider this route. :rolleyes:
That 9861 is very nice. Since it will play DVD, do you just need to add a screen to it? If this is so, may be able to sell wifey on this. We have a 3.5 year old, so on river trips we carry our portable DVD player in the truck. This could be an option for other road trips.
Roln, what sold you on the 9855? Do you know how it is to navigate the ipod on it.
Again, thanks for all the input.
Robert

ROZ
03-01-2006, 10:54 PM
He mainly bought it because he perfers the quality of Alpine and that it's 4v output. Like I said in an earlier post, he woul dhave had to spend a lot more to get the 4v in an 06 model..
His boat is still at DCB..lucky hard working mofo!
The dvd can play to any display source in the car :)
http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca/CloseUpDecksAlpCDA9855.htm

Tom Brown
03-02-2006, 07:45 AM
I recommend dumping the Mini Cooper in favor of a 1 ton Silverado X cab with a full load and dual wheels.
Oh yes... don't forget to order the high line stereo. :D

ROZ
03-02-2006, 10:10 AM
I think the mini would work well towing your glastron !

Tom Brown
03-02-2006, 12:22 PM
I think the mini would work well towing your glastron !
Great idea. :idea:
Actually, I really like the Mini Cooper. They're a ton of fun. :cool:

Longtime Lurker
03-02-2006, 09:07 PM
I recommend dumping the Mini Cooper in favor of a 1 ton Silverado X cab with a full load and dual wheels.
Oh yes... don't forget to order the high line stereo. :D
The wife was driving our Dodge Cummings as an everday driver and the fuel bill was killing us. She likes the fact that she can fill up the Mini and it's not costing $80+ dollars a week and she doesn't have to spend 20 mins at the gas pump. My daughter likes the mini too, as she can see out the window. :rollside:
Now the truck is a weekend thing. It will be put through the test the next 2 weekends as I help people move.
The mini is a blast to drive. We bought it used and the young lady we bought it from did a little "work" to it. The car hauls ass. :crossx: