PDA

View Full Version : Another Computer Question

tittyman
09-21-2007, 07:59 AM
How do you go in and clean out your registry? What can you safely delete?
Computer is about 8 years old..Windows 98 (I know)....Also by doing this will the computer run faster..thanks..

Cheap Thrills
09-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Fresh Format and reload. works every time :D
There are several registry cleaners out there. "Regclean" is one that comes to mind. Although after 8 years of use and corruption there's not alot that will help.
Tinkering with the registry is like playing with a loaded gun. sooner or later you'll shoot yourself in the foot messing with it. ;)
Good Luck
T.

tittyman
09-21-2007, 08:10 AM
You mean delete every program and strip the hard drive down to nothing then reload all the programs?

Jesster
09-21-2007, 08:15 AM
You mean delete every program and strip the hard drive down to nothing then reload all the programs?
Yup, best way, and it will run faster too. Just make sure you back up what you need.

Cheap Thrills
09-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Yep, Back up all your personals to a CD or ??. No need to delete anything the format process will take care of that.
Then just do a format and reload of the OS. Win 98 is a little tricky at times esp if you have to use the boot floppy. the command line prompts can confuse people that are new to it but it's not that bad once you figure it out.
http://www.regclean.com/download.php <------ regclean if you want to try that first.
Best Of Luck
T.

Cheap Thrills
09-21-2007, 08:18 AM
If you don't have a 98 boot floppy you need to make one. It's in the add/remove programs section. Be sure the boot floppy has the Format.exe file in it. Some early 98 versions don't put it in, Why I don't know.
Also be sure to make list all your hardware drivers so you know what to get for the reload. Esp. the Modem if equipped rarely do they ever have any kind of identification printed on the card.
T.

Racey
09-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Don't bother trying to 'Clean' the registry, you need to back up all your personal files (pictures, music, my documents, etc) then format the hard drive and completely re-install windows 98 off the cd

Cheap Thrills
09-21-2007, 10:15 AM
No, but they do have fdisk ;)
True, But being able to delete and create partitions is only part of the equation. ;)
I guess you could navigate to the format.exe file on the CD rom if you chose to boot with CD Rom Support.
Something like .... A:/ CD D:....... D:/ CD Win98......
D:/win98/ Format.com or exe I can't remember. been too long. Format C:/
Geez It's been a long time since I've loaded up a FAT file system. My memory is a little foggy. Time to dig out one of the old Boat Anchors and brush up on the FAT skills.
T.

572Daytona
09-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Both fdisk and format will be included on the ramdisk that the Win98 boot disk creates. Personally though, I'm not a big fan of re-installing from scratch unless absolutely needed, my current Win98 computer (that was my main machine until about a month ago) was last installed from scratch in 2003 and that was due to a motherboard swapout.
One thing you may want to try before doing that is to run ccleaner, http://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner-20 to clean up temporary files and obsolete registry entries. If the computer is 8 years old though, there's probably hardware reasons, i.e. processor or memory as to why it's so slow.