PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't anyone mad about gas prices any more?

77Woodbridge
09-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Every night on the news I hear the national average price per gallon read off like it has become a requirement like the weather, but no outrage. :mad:
This summer I'm guessing that I spent 3k just on gas for the boat (60gal x 16 or so days x $3.19). Since I trailer everywhere, the ticket for my truck can't be far off of that.
Has everyone just accepted that it's going to keep going up?

shippingguy
09-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Every night on the news I hear the national average price per gallon read off like it has become a requirement like the weather, but no outrage. :mad:
This summer I'm guessing that I spent 3k just on gas for the boat (60gal x 16 or so days x $3.19). Since I trailer everywhere, the ticket for my truck can't be far off of that.
Bitching and complaining is not going to do anything about it. I have accepted it and to be honest with you when it fluctuates 10 cents or so I really do not notice the extra $2.60 to fill my truck.:D Or the extra $10 -$20to fill the boat.
Mike

Jordy
09-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Gas prices are so last year. Everyone with half a brain knows that W. is behind it all and there's nothing we can do about it. Besides, we're way more concerned with Britney and her kids, OJ and his Vegas trip, and who wore what to the Emmy's to worry about something so mundane. Please get with the times. :notam: :D

77Woodbridge
09-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Gas prices are so last year. Everyone with half a brain knows that W. is behind it all and there's nothing we can do about it. Besides, we're way more concerned with Britney and her kids, OJ and his Vegas trip, and who wore what to the Emmy's to worry about something so mundane. Please get with the times. :notam: :D
Oh yeah, thanks I forgot. This is ***boat.

Jordy
09-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah, thanks I forgot. This is ***boat.
Unfortunately, it reaches long beyond ***boat. Watch the evening news. It's America and it's sad. :(
Makes the movie Idiocracy seem like there is potential to actually happen. :notam:

Jyruiz
09-21-2007, 12:18 PM
No need to waste time getting mad when there is nothing you can do about it.

blown428fe
09-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Yeah, Its all a bunch of bullshit.

Jordy
09-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Shit, I almost forgot the breaking news about which rehab Lindsey Lohan is attending this week and what club Paris got kicked out of. Damn, getting old sucks. :notam:

Big Warlock
09-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Makes the movie Idiocracy seem like there is potential to actually happen. :notam:
That's a movie? I thought that was a Hot Boat special???? :D

Racey
09-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Because the gas companies have bamboozled us into thinking that $3 a gallon is cheap compared to $4 a gallon......

77Woodbridge
09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I know, but what got me going on this was that every year I check the forecast and take the kids for one last trip before the snow flies.
Usually try to hit a new lake or river and spend 4 days. This year I said fock it, I'm not taking it in the shorts. The cost of going 350 -500 miles one way for 4 days wasn't worth it. It makes me mad that everyone knows that we're getting royally screwed, but nothing is changing.
My rant is done.

HocusPocus
09-21-2007, 01:30 PM
with the housing market so bad and foreclosures setting new records each month it seems fuel prices are the least of the problems right now.

77Woodbridge
09-21-2007, 01:39 PM
with the housing market so bad and foreclosures setting new records each month it seems fuel prices are the least of the problems right now.
The cost of fuel has to be added into the costs of all goods at the point of consumption. That growing hidden tax has contributed to the issues you mention.

Cheap Thrills
09-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Social Engineering, Conditioning.
Just wait,About the time we get use to paying what we are now
(and it's about that time)
They'll spike the price to an astronomical amount and we'll complain until they lower it to .50c above what we were paying. Not so we'll quit complaining but because that was their goal.
And we seem to be happy doing it that way.
T.

TCHB
09-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Gasoline usage has only went down less than one half of a percent in the past 16 months. If they charge more and we continue to keep the same usage up the price goes. This will continue for a while. Some say you will have to get to $5 range before we really start changng our consumption habits. Time will tell but if you take a look at Europe you can see the change. MINI CARS and Public Transportation

Dave C
09-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Oil is selling at close to $80 a barrel now compared to $30 a couple of years ago thanks to OPEC. I don't think its going down anytime soon.

RitcheyRch
09-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Complaining not going to bring the prices down so why do it.

shadow
09-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Just curious if there is anything stopping you from finding investors and opening your own refinery and charging whatever you like?
If i had stock in oil i'd love to see the profits sky rocketing just like all the other investors.
Don't get me wrong i don't like paying high prices either but look at any other bussinees or product that is high demand.
If people will pay the price or need to have it the cost will go up.
But like Shippinguy said i aint gonna sweat an extra few dollars to fill the Cars or boat.

Tom Brown
09-21-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm actually quite upset about fuel prices but pretending not to be to prevent Jbb from banning me.

uLtRADeNniS
09-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Bitching and complaining is not going to do anything about it. I have accepted it and to be honest with you when it fluctuates 10 cents or so I really do not notice the extra $2.60 to fill my truck.:D Or the extra $10 -$20to fill the boat.
Mike
WORD!

Baja Big Dog
09-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Its a lot like anal sex, you complain about it and complain about it, but in the end you get used to it, and roll with the punches, at least that's what HAVASKANK told me!!!:D

Cheap Thrills
09-21-2007, 05:22 PM
at least that's what HAVASKANK told me!!!:D
Nice Save! :D
T.

Big Kahunaa
09-21-2007, 05:22 PM
yes im still pissed

707dog
09-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Gas Prices Went Up??? Shit I Didnt Notice I Just Usaully Siphon It Outa My Neighbors Work Truck So It Dont Cost Me Shit.....jokin!!

Screemy1
09-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Gasoline usage has only went down less than one half of a percent in the past 16 months. If they charge more and we continue to keep the same usage up the price goes. This will continue for a while. Some say you will have to get to $5 range before we really start changng our consumption habits. Time will tell but if you take a look at Europe you can see the change. MINI CARS and Public Transportation
yeaqh, only in Europe the public tansportation is usable, our damb country can not build a high speed train, cities have no link to each other other then highways, and buses are not reliable, and have usable routes.....

77charger
09-21-2007, 07:55 PM
all i know is my next car is going to be a honda that gets good mpg.and truck will be the last one i buy will only use a tow vehichle for boat and trailer.
i am use to low mpg vehichles 15 was the best i have gotten with anything i have owned.Hell 12 years ago it cost me the same for a river trip as it cost me today in gas. 78 chevy 4x4(4 inch lift 35s full time 4x4) and jet boat cost me about 60 each way plus the boat.NOw i get 12 towing and have a 350 in a 21ft boat with an i/o that tha go all weekend with alot of driving on less gas than my jetboat did

Jordy
09-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Just curious if there is anything stopping you from finding investors and opening your own refinery and charging whatever you like?
Sorry, but Shadow just brought facts into this arguement. There hasn't been a NEW refinery opened in almost 30 years. You can thank the same Demonazi libs who LOVE to blame W for the high costs of gas prices, when it's really a simple case of supply and demand... Oil costs are a miniscule part of the big equation when we can't acutally refine the crude into gas... No new refineries is a tree hugging liberal dilemna, but it's much more fun to blame W.

Oldschool427
09-21-2007, 10:10 PM
It's because the Dems control congress now, they can't blame it on Bush and the Republicans any more.

talkinghead
09-21-2007, 11:47 PM
I just got back from the LA County Fair, and they had several displays for hybrids and low water use toilets, washers, etc...citing global warming, water crisis, pollution, etc...
But I know the gov't is not really serious about this issue. If they really wanted me to drive a 40MPG hybrid, then give me a tax credit for about $8000 to do so.
Give me a $600 tax credit for buying low water use appliances.
Until that happens, I'll continue driving my V-10 Excursion.

OCMerrill
09-22-2007, 09:44 AM
I have come to accept it. I don't like it but I don't make Fuel or Gas so I am really powerless and chose to skirt the bitch factor.
What happens is simple economy 101. Oil is a traded commodity. Right now it is pretty hard to make money in the real estate, mortgage, finance world so there is a shift in what's being invested in.
Like GOLD (way over $700 oz now)....Oil is forming a likeness.
Until the next invest it craze hits the focus will be where the money is.
And I really want to know WTF does congress have to do with Oil prices?

copterzach
09-22-2007, 11:12 AM
$80 dollars a barrel and $5 gas are what allow my family to live the life that we are able to. So, I will pay $4 a gallon at the pump cuz that just means it will be that much more at the well!

Caribbean Jet
09-22-2007, 11:33 AM
The gas comanies jack up the prices huge amounts and we complaine and then they bing them down some. They then slowly bring them back up to the high point. Because we have already complained and there not as high as they were it makes it feel as if we won and we don't complain until the next real hike. we need to complain until the gas companies aren't posting multi billion dollar earnings. :mad:

PaPaG
09-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Because the big oil companies have won a long time ago. They play this game with prices. They keep taking it up as high as they can go til they hear a ton of public outcry then Congress gets involved (yeah right) and holds hearings and the big oil companies take the price up just a bit more and come out with some lame excuses why the prices are so high (when any idiot can check the stock market and see that they have had record BILLION dollar earnings each quarter that they stretch the high prices) and when the big oil companies feel the public is about to blow they back off just enough to satisfy the anger...look back at the trend from 1.10 per gallon, up up up then down a bit, now that it averages around 2.40 to 2.80 most are quiet because it backed off from the highs of 3.40's...watch what happens in the next few years, same scam same program by the big Oil companies and the public will cry but do nothing about it because us Americans love our cars, boats and toys...(especially me) And If I want to drive or boat I will pay no matter what the cost and they know it...

PaPaG
09-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Shit, I almost forgot the breaking news about which rehab Lindsey Lohan is attending this week and what club Paris got kicked out of. Damn, getting old sucks. :notam:
You forgot what jail Britney is NOT going to spend time in for her recent charges, Jordy you are slipping, better get TMZ on the tube right now..:D

Big Warlock
09-22-2007, 12:07 PM
It really is simple. Jeeeesh, I can't wait for you guys to get your business plan together to open your own oil companies and make billions too!!! After all, it is a free country!!
Oh, and those "billions" the oil companies made was on trillions of dollars in investment and makes something like 8 % profit!!! But who is counting?? You guys are geniouses!!!
can we go back to playing "are you smarter than a fifth grader now???" It's on the other thread!! :D

Jordy
09-22-2007, 12:13 PM
You unfeeling bastard, what about Anna Nichole?
Hate to break it to ya Bilge, she's stll dead. ;)
You forgot what jail Britney is NOT going to spend time in for her recent charges, Jordy you are slipping, better get TMZ on the tube right now..:D
Sorry, I believe I covered Brit on the first page. :)
You guys are geniouses!!!
I'll never get tired of that kind of irony. :D :D :D

hkunz
09-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Oh, and those "billions" the oil companies made was on trillions of dollars in investment and makes something like 8 % profit!!! But who is counting?? You guys are geniouses!!!
Don't forget who actually owns those oil companies everyone is complaining about - us! If you have a stock plan, 401K, mutual fund, union retirement, whatever, you are an owner in the oil companies (and auto companies, etc.). If your stock/mutual fund company doesn't perform well, you go to another company, right? So YOU, the American investor, are pushing the oil (and other) companies to make more money so you will invoest in them.
If you don't have any investments, get some, it's the American way:D

talkinghead
09-22-2007, 01:35 PM
You can mark my words on this, and I posted this a few months back.
I did a simple model in Excel using about 10 years of AAA Southern California data on gas prices (there is quite a bit of data).
According to that model - in So. Cal. anyway, we will be paying $4/gallon on average sometime during the Spring of 2009.
Remember, that is the average - that means at certain points it will be more.
Now, there are those who claim that refinery building overseas - Lundberg for one - will result in lower gas prices. We'll see.

PaPaG
09-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Sorry, I believe I covered Brit on the first page. :)
Sorry Jordy I should have known better :D

Scarab Jet
09-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Here is an idea... Why don't we just take over every oil field in the middle east, create a "Green zone" around them and that way force the oil prices down to nothin'?
Now... there is a good use of our military... Don't u guys think?

Classic Daycruiser
09-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Gas prices??? Mad??? I don't commute more that 5 miles a day round trip. A tank of gas lasts 2-4 weeks, unless I go to the lake.
I live in a city that has 6 nice lakes within 1 hour drive.
Gas prices are only going to get higher. As I watched all my friends and co-workers move out to chandler, queen creak, mesa, Buckeye, Suprise, and casa grande, I can only think why???
Long commutes, big gas bills, 150,000 miles on a new car in 4 years, and all that time spent sitting in the car. For what...more house??? Who are we kidding.
What I see is food, my cable tv/high speed bill, property taxes, electric bill, and a few others I can not think of now.
Sorry to high jack the gas portion, but gas for me is not a big overall problem.