PDA

View Full Version : Offroading in havasu

lawbreaker2
09-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Has anybody gone offroading up behind havasu city off Bison road, and up the river bend to a waterfall, Does any body know what I'm talking about, and can someone post up some pic's:idea:

hkunz
09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
My neighbor took his truggy up there, said it was fun, but didn't like having to fix it.
Log on to Pirate 4x4 and look for Easy Rick, he lives in LHC and builds buggies, he'd know.

Kilrtoy
09-22-2007, 05:24 PM
We do it all th etime, Nothing Hardcore, just family fun.
If you desire hardcore it is there also...
Sorry No pics

2Driver
09-22-2007, 05:35 PM
There's a lot better place to 4x4 around LHC.

Troy McClure
09-22-2007, 05:53 PM
There's a lot better place to 4x4 around LHC.
Where? I've been looking around all day trying to find a good place to off road. (well not lookig too hard) Where is a good spot for a Sunday run??

WishIknew
09-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Where? I've been looking around all day trying to find a good place to off road. (well not lookig too hard) Where is a good spot for a Sunday run??
Power line road to topac have lunch and a beer then goback!!!

Havasu1986
09-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Bison Rd turns into a dirt road..We used to shoot clay pigeons a couple miles out. ;)

lawbreaker2
09-22-2007, 06:06 PM
That be it up there off of Bison, I know it's not hardcore, but it was fun:D

Warlockjer
09-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Go out there all the time. We live less than a half mile from there. Very convenient.......

Troy McClure
09-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Power line road to topac have lunch and a beer then goback!!!
Good run, know topock area very well, was looking for something around Havi.
Bison Rd turns into a dirt road..We used to shoot clay pigeons a couple miles out. ;)
Sounds good, I'll give that a try tomorrow, I think we were going that way today until a horseshoe and bottchi ball game came into play, (not to mention some drinking by the pool):D :D
Never did make it off road though....:)

lawbreaker2
09-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Go out there all the time. We live less than a half mile from there. Very convenient.......
Any pic's of up there.:)

Ion
09-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Endless places, but here's a couple for starters:
1. Standard Wash, many entrances and endless trails, on south end of town. Past Sara Park, before Cattail Cove, on the left side. Look for Campbell Redi-mix facility on left. Put in either before or after there.
2. "The Spot". On the north end of town, past the airport, before the Pilot near the 40. Look for little green Havasu Heights road sign on rt. side of 95. Entrance is on opposite side.
Both of these locations have little courses worked into terrain for kiddies and are popular family destinations. Trails go on endlessly for exploring. From the Spot, you can get on a trail that gets you within eye-shot of the Sandbar. Lookout for wire boundry fence!!!
Have fun!

Ion
09-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh...and here's a pic of me atop the first falls up Bison, from a couple years ago. Abandoned mineshafts up past the second falls.

hava life
09-22-2007, 08:44 PM
We will be taking the jeep and guns out to bison tommorrow:) it's a fun place to go and do some playing with the toys. South of town is endless trails and washes, North of town you can go to Topock or toward Kingman and take trails all the way.

phebus
09-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Fun trip with lots of little box canyons along the way that you can shoot at.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1753IMG_0077.jpg

PaPaG
09-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Cool shot, nice jeep

WishIknew
09-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Cool shot, nice jeep
Hey your PM work?????

PaPaG
09-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey your PM work?????
Yep, just a reminder, it is getting very cool out here..time to bring the jeeps out to play.....:D

WishIknew
09-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Yep, just a reminder, it is getting very cool out here..time to bring the jeeps out to play.....:D
YOU REALLY want to start this again??????:D :D :D :eek:

PaPaG
09-22-2007, 10:22 PM
YOU REALLY want to start this again??????:D :D :D :eek:
Play nice if possible :D

WishIknew
09-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Play nice if possible :D
JEEPS???? not possible!!!!!

PaPaG
09-22-2007, 10:57 PM
JEEPS???? not possible!!!!!
OK maybe we will throw in a nice Land Cruiser or even OC's Rhino

lawbreaker2
09-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Oh...and here's a pic of me atop the first falls up Bison, from a couple years ago. Abandoned mineshafts up past the second falls.
Way cool:D I did not now there was a second falls, Next time I'm out there I will have to check it out.:idea:

2Driver
09-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Get a topo map and GPS and follow this. This is not Hard core but a great 4x4 trip with great scenery. Lots of offshoots so if you have a topo you can change the route a bit.
Standard wash to West Mohave Wash to Mohave wash, NW on Mohave wash to the corrals on the west side of the wash several miles up ( marked on topo as Mohave tank as there is a well and tank there). Look for the old corrals as an indicator for the entrance to Middle Mohave wash that leads back to Dutch Flat "road" and Standard Wash, then home. Just don't do it without a topo and GPS, otherwise very fun, especially after the rain. The main Mohave wash could be running. Take a lots of water. Should be about a 3 hour ride. If you are new to the desert it is easy to mistake other roads, turn offs and trails.
Either way if you have the Topo do your own route going out standrad and taking one of the Mohave washes that do a loop back and tie back into Standard. It's all great.
Something like this. THis is not exact as I just grabbed google earth but it is the washes that I spoke about. Don't blame me if you dont get back :)
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39759&stc=1&d=1190567616

Kyote
09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
We have been up past Bison Road and always had a great time. There is a B-25 crash site after you pass the Falls. Please show respect when visiting as all crew members died at this site. There is evidence that some folks must destroy or remove the reminents of the plane. Here is the info:
In the drainage between two small mountains, about 3300 feet
In August of 1945, just as WWII was drawing to a close, a U.S. Army Air Force B-25 bomber crashed into the side of a mountain while on a training mission in Arizona. The five crew members were killed and the burning wreckage of the plane was strewn all over the mountain.
Although a 4-wheel drive vehicle is recommended, this site could conceivably be reached by hiking. Just be sure to have plenty of water, good boots, and other supplies needed for desert hiking. A cell phone wouldn't hurt, either. To reach the site, come into the BLM entrance at the end of Bison Boulevard in Lake Havasu. Follow the road past the old concrete foundation known as Repp's Ranch. Go down over the hill and follow the road past these waypoints:
N 34 32.260 / W 114 14.582 Road Forks, BEAR LEFT
N 34 32.585 / W 114 14.207 Road Forks, BEAR RIGHT
N 34 32.635 / W 114 13.895 Road Forks, BEAR RIGHT
N 34 32.748 / W 114 13.439 This will put you at the foot of a large, dry rock waterfall. From this point on, you need a jeep, ATV, or the willingness to hike. It's about another 1.5 miles. Go up the trail around the left side of the waterfall and up the hill.
N 34 32.634 W 114 12.708 Road Forks, BEAR LEFT
N 34 32.618 W 114 12.428 This is where you leave the trail. There is a very large, grizzled old saguaro cactus, and behind it, the drainage containing some of the wreckage. Follow the faint foot-trail on the right side just above the drainage. About halfway up, at the foot of another saguaro, you will find a huge engine from the B-25, and a shiny piece of aluminum from the fuselage.
Good Luck

Throttle
09-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I'll try to dig some pics up for ya too, a little later.
I go up there all the time from the house. Last week we went up there I took the quad up to the left and went over the top and past the waterfall (it was dry last week)... small little trail, I do not know if I would take a jeep up there.

Sigus
09-24-2007, 06:09 AM
I'll try to dig some pics up for ya too, a little later.
I go up there all the time from the house. Last week we went up there I took the quad up to the left and went over the top and past the waterfall (it was dry last week)... small little trail, I do not know if I would take a jeep up there.
I got mine through but it was tough going. The trees and under brush really work the Jeep. Once through the first 1/2 mile the trail clears out and seems to go for ever. It's a nice run, just remember you have to come back the same way you came. Machete / small chainsaw is not a bad idea.

Throttle
09-24-2007, 06:27 AM
I got mine through but it was tough going. The trees and under brush really work the Jeep. Once through the first 1/2 mile the trail clears out and seems to go for ever. It's a nice run, just remember you have to come back the same way you came. Machete / small chainsaw is not a bad idea.
the canopy cover is what made it so kool

phebus
09-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Cam, next time you go, could you fire that area out so I don't scratch my Jeep all up? :D

98 Vector 21
09-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Can you get there by on quads/dirt bikes?

phebus
09-24-2007, 06:53 AM
Shouldn't be a problem. I bet it turns into a nice ride from that point on. The ride back to the falls isn't that great, hard pan and rocky with evidence of way too many people being back there. I don't know why people can't pack all their shit out.

Mr. Crusader 83
09-24-2007, 07:31 AM
Has anybody gone offroading up behind havasu city off Bison road, and up the river bend to a waterfall, Does any body know what I'm talking about, and can someone post up some pic's:idea:
The falls are cool, but if you want something a lil more difficult. Take the back way to the desert bar. Its got a lil bit of pucker factor to it. :jawdrop: :D

djunkie
09-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Cam, next time you go, could you fire that area out so I don't scratch my Jeep all up? :D
Waaaaa. Puss!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Blue Goose
09-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Endless places, but here's a couple for starters:
1. Standard Wash, many entrances and endless trails, on south end of town. Past Sara Park, before Cattail Cove, on the left side. Look for Campbell Redi-mix facility on left. Put in either before or after there.
2. "The Spot". On the north end of town, past the airport, before the Pilot near the 40. Look for little green Havasu Heights road sign on rt. side of 95. Entrance is on opposite side.
Both of these locations have little courses worked into terrain for kiddies and are popular family destinations. Trails go on endlessly for exploring. From the Spot, you can get on a trail that gets you within eye-shot of the Sandbar. Lookout for wire boundry fence!!!
Have fun!
The wire boundary fence to which you refer is the boundary of Havasu National Wildlife Refuge and the Havasu Wilderness Area. Off-roading is not permitted on the refuge. There are lots of other areas where off-roading is allowed; please respect the Refuge and Wilderness designations.

yopengo
09-24-2007, 12:10 PM
The falls are cool, but if you want something a lil more difficult. Take the back way to the desert bar. Its got a lil bit of pucker factor to it. :jawdrop: :D
Will a 2wd quad make it? I always wanted to make that trip. Still shopping for a jeep. :D

Throttle
09-24-2007, 12:25 PM
no way... I think thats what keeps peep from going any further...

Throttle
09-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. I bet it turns into a nice ride from that point on. The ride back to the falls isn't that great, hard pan and rocky with evidence of way too many people being back there. I don't know why people can't pack all their shit out.
yeah, u phuckers... u brought it, take it back with you... its not a dump!

Water Romper
09-24-2007, 12:43 PM
…and speaking of looking for fun “off the water”...Is the Katherine Mine (Lake Mojave) worth looking at? I have never been there, any signs of the mining days?:D

2Driver
09-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Can you or someone give more info on that trail? Do you need lockers and can you expect body damage? Thanks.

Troy McClure
09-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Good suggestions from everyone, I lost internet connection after my post and did not see all the suggestions until now. I ended up TRYING to do the above. I went to the desert bar the easy way and tried to follow the trail the back way out...missed a turn though and just made a big circle back to Nellie bar road (or whatever it's called)
Either way, we had fun :D :D

Troy McClure
09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Can you or someone give more info on that trail? Do you need lockers and can you expect body damage? Thanks.
Didn't see this before I posted above, as I stated, I didn't quite make the whole trail, but no lockers were used and no body damage, from what I encountered. Don't think you would have a problem from what I've heard, maybe someone can correct me though.

Outnumbered
09-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Did you buy another Jeep?

lawbreaker2
09-30-2007, 07:00 AM
We have been up past Bison Road and always had a great time. There is a B-25 crash site after you pass the Falls. Please show respect when visiting as all crew members died at this site. There is evidence that some folks must destroy or remove the reminents of the plane. Here is the info:
In the drainage between two small mountains, about 3300 feet
In August of 1945, just as WWII was drawing to a close, a U.S. Army Air Force B-25 bomber crashed into the side of a mountain while on a training mission in Arizona. The five crew members were killed and the burning wreckage of the plane was strewn all over the mountain.
Although a 4-wheel drive vehicle is recommended, this site could conceivably be reached by hiking. Just be sure to have plenty of water, good boots, and other supplies needed for desert hiking. A cell phone wouldn't hurt, either. To reach the site, come into the BLM entrance at the end of Bison Boulevard in Lake Havasu. Follow the road past the old concrete foundation known as Repp's Ranch. Go down over the hill and follow the road past these waypoints:
N 34 32.260 / W 114 14.582 Road Forks, BEAR LEFT
N 34 32.585 / W 114 14.207 Road Forks, BEAR RIGHT
N 34 32.635 / W 114 13.895 Road Forks, BEAR RIGHT
N 34 32.748 / W 114 13.439 This will put you at the foot of a large, dry rock waterfall. From this point on, you need a jeep, ATV, or the willingness to hike. It's about another 1.5 miles. Go up the trail around the left side of the waterfall and up the hill.
N 34 32.634 W 114 12.708 Road Forks, BEAR LEFT
N 34 32.618 W 114 12.428 This is where you leave the trail. There is a very large, grizzled old saguaro cactus, and behind it, the drainage containing some of the wreckage. Follow the faint foot-trail on the right side just above the drainage. About halfway up, at the foot of another saguaro, you will find a huge engine from the B-25, and a shiny piece of aluminum from the fuselage.
Good Luck
Ok, I'm back, Have not been able to get into ***boat for awhile, First off I have been to az many many time since 2000, so I do know a little about the desert, but my wife is from there, and she tells me alot, so I do alot of dumb things out there, but like she said, it is very entertaining to watch me out there, But I did not no about this crash, And no I would not take or trash your desert in any way, Last few times I have been out there it sadded me to see all the trash on the sides of the hyway and out in the desert, You guys have it so nice out there, and yet they throw there trash out the window.

lawbreaker2
09-30-2007, 07:02 AM
I have heard of this place and a buddy of mine has been there, but what is the back way, cuz the next time I'm out that way I would like to go there.;)

WTMFA
09-30-2007, 07:16 AM
yeah, u phuckers... u brought it, take it back with you... its not a dump!
You know the sad part of it is I think its mostly the white trash locals who trash the desert. When we first moved up here a group of us would go wheelin at night out to a higher elevation to get a nice view of the city and on the way back we would see locals partying it up out there and just by the looks of the area aruond them you could tell they were slobs who didn't care:mad:

RiverRatMike
09-30-2007, 08:18 PM
a fun ride is from standard wash south of LHC to Bill Williams River. It's takes close to a hr to get there. Took the Rhino and had a blast

Havasu4me
09-30-2007, 09:12 PM
The wire boundary fence to which you refer is the boundary of Havasu National Wildlife Refuge and the Havasu Wilderness Area. Off-roading is not permitted on the refuge. There are lots of other areas where off-roading is allowed; please respect the Refuge and Wilderness designations.
I agree.