PDA

View Full Version : Boat on Trailer issue

tucson_boat_guy
09-24-2007, 01:30 PM
I have a question I need to ask you guys. I have never seen this before and I need some advise.
I just bought a 21' Commander.
The boat seems to rock on the bunks. I do have a few bad boards which I am going to replace as soon as I can pick the boat up enough to get the new ones under.
There is no support on the front of the hull just the lift up and clip bracket. There is also no rear tie downs.
I am going to mount some hooks on the trailer and tie the hull to the trailer but I want to address this rocking issue.
I have towed several boats and owned a few also and this is a new one.
When towing I can see the bow lift up and then come back down. I think I hear the hull hitting the front support but then I am not back there to watch.
My main question is does anyone else's hull rock on the trailer?
Thanks for making sense of this one...

shippingguy
09-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Is the boat all the way forward? I would take a tie down strap and wrap it around the trailer below the front hook and hook it to the front loop and tighten it down. JMO
Mike

Xlration Marine
09-24-2007, 02:23 PM
My first boat did some thing like yours. I built a bunk, sort of a bunk. It was "V" shaped and went under the bow of the boat, bolting to the trailer. I think I used ply wood, several layers to build some bulk and then put carpet over it. It even helped center the boat when I put it on the trailer. Oh it had one of the POS floater bars that realy suck the big one. Whinch only from now on. If you want you could just put a piece of wood under the bow area with some padding or carpet and see if that works for you. If so then fab up one to bolt to the trailer. Good Luck. Or it could just be that you live in tucson:D :D :D

tucson_boat_guy
09-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Here is a pic of the front of the boat on the trailer.
The cable at the front is not tight. I will look at other trailers next weekend for ideas but I was hoping to get this fixed before the next trip.
Thanks guy for the replies
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39970&d=1190814832

tucson_boat_guy
09-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Guess the attachment did not work, here it is again.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40051&d=1190907610

DeltaSigBoater
09-27-2007, 08:43 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40052&d=1190907620

tucson_boat_guy
09-28-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks delta, i figured out what I was doing wrong on those attachments today. Silly me.
Thanks

tucson_boat_guy
09-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Does anyone have trailer pics so I can get some idea's. I am off to home Deopt to get some 2x4 to redo the trailer bunks and look for some carpet.
I would like to see a few trailer pics to maybe fix the front of the trailer before the next 4 hour drive to the lake.
Thanks

NWSDan
10-02-2007, 06:57 AM
It sounds like what your seeing in the rear veiw is the trailer flexing. This is common with the style of trailer you have. Most boat trailers flex at the start of the vee just ahead of the front fender supports, about where your AZ numbers are on your boat. This is also a common area for cracks to develop. Unless you have a positive tie down (winch) to tie the boat to the trailer, you won't be able to avoid this. The small flat bar tie downs work good for lighter boats but not so good for 19' and up. Boat Buckle makes a nice retractable rear tie down system that we have installed on a dozen or so trailers for customers and no problems so far. Try DOT 5 in that trailer brake system of yours after you have rebuilt it and blown out the lines. You will be happier next year when you pull the top off the master cylinder and it still looks new.