PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about College Grants

Run_em_Hard
09-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Want to look into getting college grants for my wife. I belive she is into her first semester as a Jr. Where are good places to find out about this? We have just been paying out of pocket for everything and I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

totenhosen
09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
School financial aid office. Start off with filling out a FAFSA form. Going to have to wait to get any cash most likely until next quarter/semester.

uvindex
09-24-2007, 05:47 PM
There are about a million grants available. First place to look is simply search her school's web site. (Many grants are specific to certain majors, for example.) Eligibility for grants can depend on a multitude of factors, for example: her major, demographics, income, goals, ethnicity, and many other things.
There are also oddball grants out there (for example, for students with a particular family name, or with a "C" average).
Good luck! :)

DeltaSigBoater
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Go to http://www.fafsa.edu.gov/
Can’t really recall what it actually is/does, but 99.99% of all grants & scholarships require you to have that completed,
Has she gone to the Financial Aid Office at school, if not she should!
It's been a couple years since I had to do this, so I'm a tad rusty... since I had my tutition paid for, I always went after scholarships/grants that were CASH, so I could buy supplies throughout the semester as needed for my classes.
If I remember anything else I'll post it.

XtrmWakeborder
09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Fill out a Fafsa, it's really easy. If you have a kid, are married, or are over 24 you are pretty much good to go. If not, you're screwed.

Run_em_Hard
09-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Fill out a Fafsa, it's really easy. If you have a kid, are married, or are over 24 you are pretty much good to go. If not, you're screwed.
Well she is 24 yo till January. But we are married. I know she has been turned down a couple times but that was before we got married.

uvindex
09-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Filling out a FAFSA is fine, but the original poster asked about GRANTS, not federal student aid (that's the FSA of FAFSA). A grant can be funded by anybody or anything. I can take $5000 and fund a grant at my local university for an electrical engineering major who has a GPA of less than 3.0, for example, and not care if the people who receive the grant are already millionaires.
Grants and student loans are not the same thing.
:)

totenhosen
09-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Filling out a FAFSA is fine, but the original poster asked about GRANTS, not federal student aid (that's the FSA of FAFSA). A grant can be funded by anybody or anything. I can take $5000 and fund a grant at my local university for an electrical engineering major who has a GPA of less than 3.0, for example, and not care if the people who receive the grant are already millionaires.
Pell Grant etc require FAFSA form. It's a start but no means an end to other grants.
As mentioned by others and myself earlier first stop is the school financial aid office.

Run_em_Hard
09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I am curious about financial help in general. She paid out of pocket before we got married and now WE pay out of pocket.

Jbb
09-24-2007, 06:11 PM
College is waay overrated and expensive....not to mention hard........Carny school is the hot ticket these days!...

uvindex
09-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Pell Grant etc require FAFSA form. It's a start but no means an end to other grants.
As mentioned by others and myself earlier first stop is the school financial aid office.Pell Grant is a federal grant for "need-based low-income students." The "federal" part of course means one must begin with the FAFSA and other hoops tied to any federal student aid.
Like I said, it's fine to fill out a FAFSA. However, there are lots of grants that one can apply for WITHOUT having to do that. (I've personally received thousands of dollars in grant funds and I've never even seen a FAFSA. :))

totenhosen
09-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Pell Grant is a federal grant for "need-based low-income students." The "federal" part of course means one must begin with the FAFSA and other hoops tied to any federal student aid.
Like I said, it's fine to fill out a FAFSA. However, there are lots of grants that one can apply for WITHOUT having to do that. (I've personally received thousands of dollars in grant funds and I've never even seen a FAFSA. :))
Yes, thanks for the echo.;)

Run_em_Hard
09-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Pell Grant is a federal grant for "need-based low-income students." The "federal" part of course means one must begin with the FAFSA and other hoops tied to any federal student aid.
Ok...what steps do I need to take?

uvindex
09-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Ok...what steps do I need to take?What school does she attend? Easiest way to start would be to go to her school's web site and either search for "grants" or go to "financial aid" (or similar) -- a link you'll find on pretty much any higher ed institution's web site. There should be an FAQ there, as well as something like "start here." Good luck! :)

Run_em_Hard
09-24-2007, 07:09 PM
What school does she attend? Easiest way to start would be to go to her school's web site and either search for "grants" or go to "financial aid" (or similar) -- a link you'll find on pretty much any higher ed institution's web site. There should be an FAQ there, as well as something like "start here." Good luck! :)
Thanks...

Crossbow_CA
09-24-2007, 07:15 PM
I currently am getting a Pell Grant and a Cal State Grant for SDSU They pay a little more than it costs to attend. I am also offered Both subsidized and non-sub loans at a great interest rate that doesn't require repayment until after graduation and even then can be delayed (while the interest incurs) Have her go to the Financial Aid Office they will give her all the documents she needs and explain everything she will need to do. I had to go to a class, proper ID, etc. Then you just wait until they decide. The other scholarships that are available are generally major/academic based and most require a paper be written before they choose. There are still some of these available for this semester, I am not sure of the deadline for the Fed/State Grants, but the web site will probably answer your questions better than anyone here could do, including me. I just reapply online every year and will be graduating in May:D Good Luck!