PDA

View Full Version : Goin' to Van Halen!!!!!

Froggystyle
09-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Just found out that Aud bought us tickets to go see Van Halen in November!!!!
Being 34, I was on the tail end of being able to see DLR be the lead vocalist. Everyone I knew was down on Sammy, even though I thought it was still a great show, and have seen VH several times with Sammy at the helm, not the least of which was in Fresno in the early nineties when they recorded "Live, right here, right now". Saw them at Cal Expo too...
Once Gary Charone came on I lost interest nearly completely in the live show and consoled myself by listening to stuff back when they were cool.
Eddie having the big cancer scare and his recent drug issues didn't help the case. I didn't want to see a concert with a half-assed Eddie and Michael Anthony trying to figure out what happenned.
With David back in front and Wolfgang on bass, I have a lot of hope for this show, as this may truly be the last time we get to see this band together. I don't think that DLR is going to last with a sober Eddie, and I firmly believe this is all going down to get Wolfgang some exposure, though I lament the loss of MA hugely.
So, if they can keep it together until November, I think that this could be one for the memory books.
Anyone else going?

boat boy
09-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Saw them two years ago at the Staple Ctr, with Sammy and Michael. Won't be the same without those two.

Froggystyle
09-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Saw them two years ago at the Staple Ctr, with Sammy and Michael. Won't be the same without those two.
That's what everyone said about David when I was growing up.
I will be able to give an honest assessment, as I LOVED seeing the Van Hagar iteration...

HocusPocus
09-24-2007, 07:39 PM
should be a great show, seems the band really wants to give the fans what they want. i have been lucky enough to see all 3 versions of the group i just hope Roth is sober this time. :D

RaceFace
09-24-2007, 07:40 PM
My buddy went to one of the last Hagar Van Halen shows in Vegas (on the last tour)....he said it was a train wreck. Eddie was sh*tfaced, his guitar was out of tune and he FORGOT Eruption!! I hope Eddie stays clean and sober so he can give the people what they came to hear....ass kickin guitar!! And hopefully he can pull Van Halen's name out of the mud. I'm a huge fan, always have been and always will be...but the way he's been conducting "business" over the last few years has not been good for the Van Halen name.

breezeblocker
09-24-2007, 08:13 PM
There's only one VH, the one with David Lee Roth.
you said it ! :D

RitcheyRch
09-25-2007, 04:39 AM
Ditto that.

Infomaniac
09-25-2007, 05:01 AM
Dude I saw them in Memphis when they were releasing Van Halen II.
How long ago was that? :D

roostwear
09-25-2007, 05:06 AM
Got tickets for the whole damn family.... should be a good show. A little bummed it's with DLR (have been a Sammy fan since the old Red Rocker tour), but hey, it's still Van Halen!

Taylor923
09-25-2007, 05:17 AM
AMEN brother

OKIE-JET
09-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Me 3.

Sportin' Wood
09-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Honestly, I would not go if I had free tickets.
I have seen them a few times with multiple line ups, and enjoyed the show I saw without Eddie and Alex the most. (the year sammy and DLR toured together)
I thought there was an unwritten law with the devil that you only get to rock hard then Die young. Someone needs to tell Eddie, Arrowsmith and the Rolling Stones they have a debt to pay, and its way past due.:devil:

boat boy
09-25-2007, 06:10 AM
You need a sober Eddie and David then the show should be good. I go back to when David and Sammie were at Glen Helen. I sent the wife to the concert while I was out fishing, she went with friends and said Sammie was great, but David was a drunken fool. If I remember correctly shortly after that performance the tour was cancelled.

OCMerrill
09-25-2007, 06:14 AM
I hope its a good show Wes. We haven't heard or seen much of DLR in a long while. I hope he can bring it.
I was at the 1984 Concert and he was amazing along with the rest of the band. MA Bass solo was awesome.
I am afraid Eddie and his bro have yo yo'd this band around a few to many times but what do I know.
For the record I liked the Van Hagar better and I am old enough....but just barley.:D :D :D

shadow
09-25-2007, 06:26 AM
You need a sober Eddie and David then the show should be good. I go back to when David and Sammie were at Glen Helen. I sent the wife to the concert while I was out fishing, she went with friends and said Sammie was great, but David was a drunken fool. If I remember correctly shortly after that performance the tour was cancelled.
I saw the OG Van Halen at Glenn Helen also but it was in 1983 at the US Festival.
They were all drunk drinking Jack on stage but back then i think everyone was stoned,drunk or loaded.:eek:
Still a good show but the one band that stood out that weekend was the Scorpions what a great performance.
What a wild 4 days that was.:2purples:

ROZ
09-25-2007, 06:31 AM
I'm going as well...I've never seen them in concert. If they suck, oh well. We'll bitch about it at a bar downtown afterward :D

shadow
09-25-2007, 06:34 AM
I'm going as well...I've never seen them in concert. If they suck, oh well. We'll bitch about it at a bar downtown afterward :D
doubt they will suck! Have fun.:)

Baja Big Dog
09-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Dam, Im gettin worried, thats twice in the last week, me an Shock(dont call me bob!)wavebob agreed!!!
I also refuse to see them without the orignal 5150 bassist, Mr Anthony, what a bullshit move!!!!! Guyspends his life (at least the formative years) bustin his ass for the band gets booted like this!!!!!

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-25-2007, 07:10 AM
i checked out the VH site yesterday to see the tour dates.. it looks like they may be having some trouble selling these shows out... i was surprised to see how many shows they have, that are NEXT WEEK, that haven't sold out yet and they are adding more shows every other day.
I'd like to go. I don't want to pay a grip to see them because i am not convinced that they will be that good. Dave is old. Eddie is torn up. And Michael Anthony will be sorely missed. His backing vox are a large part of the band. To call it a reunion would require that MA be in the mix, not a 15 year old kid who hasn't even played a club gig let alone a national arena tour. They got a lot riding on that kid. That being said, i want them to do well since they are one of my top 3 all-time favorite bands.
just my two pennies.

Baja Big Dog
09-25-2007, 07:12 AM
i checked out the VH site yesterday to see the tour dates.. it looks like they may be having some trouble selling these shows out... i was surprised to see how many shows they have, that are NEXT WEEK, that haven't sold out yet and they are adding more shows every other day.
I'd like to go. I don't want to pay a grip to see them because i am not convinced that they will be that good. Dave is old. Eddie is torn up. And Michael Anthony will be sorely missed. His backing vox are a large part of the band. To call it a reunion would require that MA be in the mix, not a 15 year old kid who hasn't even played a club gig let alone a national arena tour. They got a lot riding on that kid. That being said, i want them to do well since they are one of my top 3 all-time favorite bands.
just my two pennies.
Make that .04 cents...well said!!! its just wrong!!

2Driver
09-25-2007, 07:21 AM
THose guys still remind me of the rocking old days in Copper Canyon.
Dont forget to tie you head band around you leg just above the knee. EEEEEEEEEEEEYYYAAAAAAAAAA! :D

Wet Dream
09-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Waste of time!!! I love VH with DLR, but they are going to go down in the books with this tour as a horrible disaster. DLR cant hit the notes anymore, the timing is wayyyyyyyyy off, Wolfgang is no replacement, and age has caught up to everyone else. Yeah yeah, I know, some moron is going to argue with someting like "you can't sing like that either after 30 years" or something stupid, but the idea of going back on tour is to show that fans that you still have what you had 20+ years ago. Has anyone heard the last rehearsal audio of this train wreck? Its horrible. DLR's timing on the lyrics are no better than an amature karaoke singer on a good night, the guitars were nothing spectacular and I believe the attitude of DLR and the band are going to implode the tour before Halloween. They should have left the best of them in the past and let it be. 1984 is one of my most favorite and memorable albums for me during that growing priod of my life, but this just really takes me out of it.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Waste of time!!! I love VH with DLR, but they are going to go down in the books with this tour as a horrible disaster. DLR cant hit the notes anymore, the timing is wayyyyyyyyy off, Wolfgang is no replacement, and age has caught up to everyone else. Yeah yeah, I know, some moron is going to argue with someting like "you can't sing like that either after 30 years" or something stupid, but the idea of going back on tour is to show that fans that you still have what you had 20+ years ago. Has anyone heard the last rehearsal audio of this train wreck? Its horrible. DLR's timing on the lyrics are no better than an amature karaoke singer on a good night, the guitars were nothing spectacular and I believe the attitude of DLR and the band are going to implode the tour before Halloween. They should have left the best of them in the past and let it be. 1984 is one of my most favorite and memorable albums for me during that growing priod of my life, but this just really takes me out of it.
where did you hear this? is it available on the net somewhere?

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Great comments, all echoing stuff going on in my head right now.
Until lately, I have literally taken every opportunity I could to see Van Halen. They are my favorite band by a lot, and for my money the live version of "Judgement Day" is in the top three list of greatest rock songs ever performed live for a recording. Eddie is on fire, Sammy killed the vocals and it is a very powerful song in the first place.
Huge fan.
I am spending a pile of money for good seats, and taking the risk though. That sixteen year old kid is Eddie's son, and lest we forget he is exactly two years younger than when Eddie recorded "Eruption"... commonly regarded as one of the greatest guitar solos (though certainly not the most difficult) of all time. With those kind of genes and tutelage, I have every expectation that Wolfgang is going to kill it.
If it is a train wreck... well... I'll be there for it. If it is solid gold diapers... I be there for that as well.
But at least I will live without the long term regret of never having seen DLR in front of VH in my life. It has bugged me for 20+ years, and I literally barely missed it.
To all of you folks who feel that there is no VH without DLR... this can be the test. Here is their opportunity to impress. If they can't put it together after this much buildup, this much opportunity to practice and this much hubris... I will have to put the mythical days of DLR concerts in my book of unicorns right next to Carrol Shelby's imaginary 0-100-0 time of 12 seconds or whatever. You know, the one people were chasing for 20 years until it was totally debunked using Shelby's own personal Cobra...
Bring it on VH... now is the time. San Diego is the place! :D
See you after the show Roz! :D

Wet Dream
09-25-2007, 08:07 AM
where did you hear this? is it available on the net somewhere?
I'll see if I can find a link to it.

Wet Dream
09-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Try this CRAP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YaIC7pX1ho)

Wet Dream
09-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Here's another piece of CRAP pt2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTIGgCz8hNI)

yopengo
09-25-2007, 08:24 AM
I sincerely hope that they pull it off. I really do. As one of the greatest rock bands it would be cool if they had a successful come back…. however, I don’t think it will happen. It broke my heart when they canned DLR. I would love to go see them but without MA…it is not the “original” VH.
I do look forward to Froggystyle’s review of the concert.:D

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 08:29 AM
I dunno WD... That just totally got me fired up!
Sure, there were some missed harmonies, but that is what practice is for and rehearsals. Bad monitors can kill a harmony faster than anything you can imagine.
Wolfgang is the biggest one on stage... strange. Kind of pudgy looking.
I am looking forward to this probably more than any concert I have ever had to wait for....

yopengo
09-25-2007, 08:39 AM
I'll see if I can find a link to it.
Did Roth grow some hair? :idea: :eek: I thought he was bald now? :D

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Wolfgang has zero stage presence. He handled things a little better than i'd thought and dave is still dave. He's never been known to hit the notes and replicate what you hear on the album. I last saw him on the Diver Down tour and he was barely able to get thru a song without f'ing it up some how. But thats what i love about him... he's all show and no go!!!!

whiteworks
09-25-2007, 09:20 AM
The last time I saw Van Halen was in 92 at the forum like a week after the riots we got lost after the show and ended up where evertyhing was burned. "great show". one of my river buddys in highschool was this smokin hot blonde who's daddy "loved me" and had one of the condos under the bridge, next to MA. at 15 we were partying like rockstars:D . holy shit that was 16 years ago:eek:

River Lynchmob
09-25-2007, 09:43 AM
I am going to the Dec 18th show at the Pond we have 10 tickets pre show vip party. We sit inside a notch on the stage. We are going to rent a motorhome for the preparty with a driver and take this whole deal to the next level.
Like a lot of you I have seen Van Hagar and liked them. I have heard bad things about the DLR years as being a train wreck in concert but I still wouldn't miss it for the world. It's Van Halen for god's sake. Though I will be thoroughly disappointed that Michael Anothony won't be there.

OCMerrill
09-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I sincerely hope that they pull it off. I really do. As one of the greatest rock bands it would be cool if they had a successful come back…. however, I don’t think it will happen. It broke my heart when they canned DLR. I would love to go see them but without MA…it is not the “original” VH.
I do look forward to Froggystyle’s review of the concert.:D
So ture about MA. That Bass solo is forever etched in my mind. More so than the flying homo high kicker on a cable. Now I am gonna get it.:D

HCS
09-25-2007, 11:11 AM
VH is playing at ARCO arena Nov. here in Sac.
The worst nose bleed tickets in the house are $299.00 each, on the floor there $1700.00 dollars each. All the rest of the seats range in between of course.
Personally I would never dish out that kind of bucks for any band no matter who they are! :eek:

HOSS
09-25-2007, 11:55 AM
GOD I wish I would have never openned that. Killed my fond memories of them. I can remember the day it aired that Roth was gone from the band to be a movie star. For me, thats the day the music died. With Sammy it was a completely different band. But rock `n` roll died the day Roth left and a new rock was born.

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 11:58 AM
VH is playing at ARCO arena Nov. here in Sac.
The worst nose bleed tickets in the house are $299.00 each, on the floor there $1700.00 dollars each. All the rest of the seats range in between of course.
Personally I would never dish out that kind of bucks for any band no matter who they are! :eek:
Yeah... we are on the floor.. I am hoping this concert absolutely crushes everything I have ever seen live.

Screaming Pete
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
so wes i've been offered tickets but i'm on the fence, what to do.....what to do:)

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 12:51 PM
so wes i've been offered tickets but i'm on the fence, what to do.....what to do:)
I would say this is a "do not miss" event...
Edit: What section are the tickets in?

Wet Dream
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Froggy, I honestly hope this concert is what you expect it to be. I saw them during the MTV storm of rock videos (hell, most of us on here did). You would listen to the album over and over, hear the songs all over the radio and hear the exact same thing at the concert. Thats what I got used to and my personal preferrence when I go to one. I don't want some stupid artsy fartsy rendition of a number one hit. Take Sting for example, check out any of his solo stuff that he just hacks to manure on stage. I don't mind changing up a solo or a riff, but to not even get OOOOH OOOOH's and YEAAAAAAAH's right? Uh uh, not for me. Doesn't work in my band, and it doesn't work for me especially from the band that created the damn songs. ;) But with VH and DLR, I would expect an album version, not the crap that I see in those Final Live Practice videos. Zero stage presence, volcals are blah, timing is non existent, and he sure as hell isn't going to be doing and flips, jumping or twirling. I'll let the memory of what they were, remain. I do look forward to your review though. ;) Like I said earlier though, I would worry about them even sticking together to make it past Halloween. :D They already cancelled it earlier this year.

Wet Dream
09-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Stupid double post. ;)

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Like I said earlier though, I would worry about them even sticking together to make it past Halloween. :D They already cancelled it earlier this year.
I said the same thing earlier. I think the only thing going for them to stay together is that Eddie is ususally the destructive factor, and I don't think he is going to mess up Wolfgang's big opportunity here.

Mandelon
09-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I have tickets also. One of my all time fave bands. Likely the last chance to see them with Diamond Dave.....
I saw them way back in the early 80's and grew up proud of them as a Pasadena kid. They used to play backyard parties at some of friend's houses.
I never wanted to see the Van Hagar rendition or with that other guy.
I know Dave's a clown, but that's the original deal, and that's the way it ought to be. I hope these old guys can keep it together for a whole tour.
DAY DATE CITY VENUE TICKETS VIP
Thu 09.27 Charlotte, NC Charlotte Bobcats Arena Sold Out Sold Out
Sat 09.29 Greensboro, NC Greensboro Coliseum ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Mon 10.01 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Wed 10.03 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Fri 10.05 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena ON SALE NOW N/A
Sun 10.07 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre Sold Out ON SALE NOW
Wed 10.10 Cleveland, OH Quicken Loans Arena ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Fri 10.12 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre Sold Out ON SALE NOW
Sun 10.14 Indianapolis, IN Conseco Field House ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Tue 10.16 Rosemont, IL Allstate Arena ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Thu 10.18 Chicago, IL United Center ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Sat 10.20 Detroit, MI Joe Louis Arena ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Mon 10.22 Auburn Hills, MI Palace of Auburn Hills ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Wed 10.24 Minneapolis, MN Target Center ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Fri 10.26 Kansas City, MO Sprint Center ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Sun 10.28 St. Louis, MO Scottrade Center ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Tue 10.30 Boston, MA TD Banknorth Garden Sold Out Sold Out
Thu 11.01 Washington, D.C. Verizon Center ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Sat 11.03 E. Rutherford, NJ Continental Airlines Arena ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Tue 11.06 Worcester, MA DCU Center ON SALE 9/28 @ 10 AM TBA
Thu 11.08 Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Sat 11.10 Montreal, QC Bell Centre ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Tue 11.13 New York, NY Madison Square Garden ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Tue 11.20 Los Angeles, CA Staples Center ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Fri 11.23 Glendale, AZ Jobing.Com Arena ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Sun 11.25 San Diego, CA Cox Arena ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Tue 11.27 Sacramento, CA Arco Arena ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Thu 11.29 Fresno, CA Savemart Center ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Sat 12.01 Portland, OR Rose Garden ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Mon 12.03 Seattle, WA Key Arena ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Wed 12.05 Vancouver, BC General Motors Place ON SALE 9/29 @ 10 AM TBA
Fri 12.07 Calgary, AB Pengrowth Saddledome ON SALE 9/29 @ 10 AM TBA
Sun 12.09 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place ON SALE 9/29 @ 10 AM TBA
Fri 12.14 Los Angeles, CA Staples Center ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Sun 12.16 San Jose, CA HP Pavilion at San Jose ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Tue 12.18 Anaheim, CA Honda Center ON SALE NOW Sold Out
Thu 12.20 Anaheim, CA Honda Center ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW
Sat 12.22 Oakland, CA Oracle Arena ON SALE NOW ON SALE NOW

cc322
09-25-2007, 06:19 PM
And theres only one Red Rocker
http://www.redrocker.com/media/video/popup.php?id=27&mediaType=win&bandwidth=high
Hopefully it will be a good show for those who are going. I have every one of VH records and personally I like the Hagar years the best. Sammy was Sammy before VH and continues to tour and make records to this day. Hell I saw him and Mike twice last year and they rocked the place. Dave on the other hand hasent done shiat, until Sammy pulled his ass out from the gutteres and asked him to do the Sam and Dave tour. Now If Sammy were to be getting back in VH I would go but not with DLR BTW I really dont think these two care. :D Have fun at the show and do report on how it was.
http://members.cox.net/cc322/sammy/Sammy%20Hagar%208-2-2006%20015.jpg
http://members.cox.net/cc322/sammy/Sammy%20Hagar%208-2-2006%20012.jpg

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 06:37 PM
I just wrote MA an e-mail apologizing for going to see the show, but explaining my reasons. I told him he would be hugely missed.
I felt compelled.
Seriously... I did.
I told him I would catch him and Sammy if they made it out here on their tour.

cc322
09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
I just wrote MA an e-mail apologizing for going to see the show, but explaining my reasons. I told him he would be hugely missed.
I felt compelled.
Seriously... I did.
I told him I would catch him and Sammy if they made it out here on their tour.
The plans have allready been layed down in honor of Sammys 60th birthday. It will be Sammy and the Wabos first part of the show and then the second half (Mikey) . They will be on tour scheduled for a 60 city stop, yes I will be there.:D :D

Throttle
09-25-2007, 06:45 PM
had planned on going, but I will not make it... what the hell is up with concerts scheduled on Tuesdays? BS!:mad:

Mandelon
11-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Getting ready to go to the show tonight. :) We came back early from the desert for the show.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Getting ready to go to the show tonight. :) We came back early from the desert for the show.
Hope you and Wes have a blast. I've heard good things about the show

Tremor Therapy
11-26-2007, 08:07 AM
I saw the OG Van Halen at Glenn Helen also but it was in 1983 at the US Festival.
They were all drunk drinking Jack on stage but back then i think everyone was stoned,drunk or loaded.:eek:
Still a good show but the one band that stood out that weekend was the Scorpions what a great performance.
What a wild 4 days that was.:2purples:
Shadow I was there for those 4 days, and at that show as well, and Van Halen sucked! DLR was slurring, and forgot the words to a number of the songs.....it was the Scorpions who ruled that night, they were awesome!
But on another note, Froggy, Mandy, you got to tell us, how was the show? :confused:

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
11-26-2007, 08:35 AM
What's the review?>??????

Froggystyle
11-26-2007, 08:54 AM
They rocked!
I have been avoiding the You Tube videos and all of the haters saying anyone has lost it or whatever for months now, and went into the show with extremely high expectations and wasn't the slightest bit let down. DLR rocked the place, hit every note, and remembered most of the words... :D
We had phenomenal seats, and the sound was really good where we were. Eddie is on fire still. By far the best guitar solo I have ever seen in a lifetime of watching guitar solos. Innovative, brilliant and wildly inventive. Wolfgang has the stage presence of a rug, and he looks like he ate Michael Anthony, but he was a good bass player and surely didn't let me down from a techical perspective.
Most importantly, Eddie, Alex and Dave looked like they were having an absolute blast. Eddie was clearly very proud of Wolfgang, and was having the time of his life up on stage with him.
His new rig sounds amazing as well. Fender just released a 5150 (3) amplifier line and he was laying it down huge with it all night. Great tones, crystal clears and big bottom end. I am probably going to go get one.
One thing for sure... that place was cougar central. I have never seen so many 35-50 year old single women in one place. From the demographic of the crowd, you woud have thought the Doobie Brothers were playing. LOTS of old people there, lots of Tommy Bahama shirts... We felt like younguns.
Only a couple of things left me wanting more, but it was the nature of the gig. Van Halen evolved quite a bit after Dave left. Perhaps they would have gone the same direction if Dave had stayed on, and perhaps if Sammy had been the original lead singer they would have still done the same early work... who knows. Eddie has clearly been the soul of the band in every iteration, and the driving force creatively. In any case, the Sammy years featured some of the most amazing rock music ever written. Sammy's voice is great, and his stage presence was huge. He also had no problems rocking the old VH stuff from the DLR days.
Last night they didn't play a single song past 1984... and I don't think Dave would have been up to it if they had. He is very, very Dave, and didn't disappoint last night at all when in his element. Nobody does Little Dreamer better, and some of the stuff off of VH1 and other of the early albums was just shit hot. He got out an acoustic guitar and played the intro to Ice Cream Man with a little story and had the crowd eating out of his hand the whole time.
I was grinning ear to ear the whole time, everyone in the crowd knew all of the words, and the atmosphere was electric. People knew what we were getting to see, and many had waited a very, very long time to get to see it.
Highlights of the night were certainly Eddie's guitar solo, Mean Street, Unchained and Hot For Teacher. Everything was technically bad ass though, and like I said, Eddie has never sounded better.
Too bad these guys never evolved together, because I think the lions share of brilliant VH music was missing from the setlist as Sammy was the lead for it, but they absolutely rocked all of the songs from the DLR years and smashed this tour out of the park.
I would pay to go see them do this exact show again tonight.
This was the best birthday present ever, and I am so stoked that Aud got it for me. She knew I wanted to see this badly, and made it happen.
Two thumbs (and one leather-clad high kicking leg) way up...

ULTRA26 # 1
11-26-2007, 09:02 AM
They rocked!
I have been avoiding the You Tube videos and all of the haters saying anyone has lost it or whatever for months now, and went into the show with extremely high expectations and wasn't the slightest bit let down. DLR rocked the place, hit every note, and remembered most of the words... :D
We had phenomenal seats, and the sound was really good where we were. Eddie is on fire still. By far the best guitar solo I have ever seen in a lifetime of watching guitar solos. Innovative, brilliant and wildly inventive. Wolfgang has the stage presence of a rug, and he looks like he ate Michael Anthony, but he was a good bass player and surely didn't let me down from a techical perspective.
Most importantly, Eddie, Alex and Dave looked like they were having an absolute blast. Eddie was clearly very proud of Wolfgang, and was having the time of his life up on stage with him.
His new rig sounds amazing as well. Fender just released a 5150 (3) amplifier line and he was laying it down huge with it all night. Great tones, crystal clears and big bottom end. I am probably going to go get one.
One thing for sure... that place was cougar central. I have never seen so many 35-50 year old single women in one place. From the demographic of the crowd, you woud have thought the Doobie Brothers were playing. LOTS of old people there, lots of Tommy Bahama shirts... We felt like younguns.
Only a couple of things left me wanting more, but it was the nature of the gig. Van Halen evolved quite a bit after Dave left. Perhaps they would have gone the same direction if Dave had stayed on, and perhaps if Sammy had been the original lead singer they would have still done the same early work... who knows. Eddie has clearly been the soul of the band in every iteration, and the driving force creatively. In any case, the Sammy years featured some of the most amazing rock music ever written. Sammy's voice is great, and his stage presence was huge. He also had no problems rocking the old VH stuff from the DLR days.
Last night they didn't play a single song past 1984... and I don't think Dave would have been up to it if they had. He is very, very Dave, and didn't disappoint last night at all when in his element. Nobody does Little Dreamer better, and some of the stuff off of VH1 and other of the early albums was just shit hot. He got out an acoustic guitar and played the intro to Ice Cream Man with a little story and had the crowd eating out of his hand the whole time.
I was grinning ear to ear the whole time, everyone in the crowd knew all of the words, and the atmosphere was electric. People knew what we were getting to see, and many had waited a very, very long time to get to see it.
Highlights of the night were certainly Eddie's guitar solo, Mean Street, Unchained and Hot For Teacher. Everything was technically bad ass though, and like I said, Eddie has never sounded better.
Too bad these guys never evolved together, because I think the lions share of brilliant VH music was missing from the setlist as Sammy was the lead for it, but they absolutely rocked all of the songs from the DLR years and smashed this tour out of the park.
I would pay to go see them do this exact show again tonight.
This was the best birthday present ever, and I am so stoked that Aud got it for me. She knew I wanted to see this badly, and made it happen.
Two thumbs (and one leather-clad high kicking leg) way up...
Great news Wes :D :D

Tremor Therapy
11-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Wes now that was great to hear. VH is my favorite band of all time, and I was totally disapppointed the last 2 times I saw them. Now I may have to bug the old lady because now I know what I want for my birthday as well! :D

maxwedge
11-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Sounds like a great time. I've always loved VH and for me it doesn't much matter who is singing because it's all about listening to eddie play and thinking "Who the hell plays guitar like that?" and "Where the hell did he come up with that stuff?" Somehow it's usually pretty bad -ass sounding though.:)

Jbb
11-26-2007, 09:55 AM
They rocked!
Wolfgang has the stage presence of a rug, and he looks like he ate Michael Anthony
...............................:D

Mandelon
11-26-2007, 10:09 AM
I wasn't disappointed either. I thought they did a great job. Dave, Alex and Eddie are in great shape...for their age...LOL. Poor little Wolfie, wait....did I say little???? Wolfie needs to hook up with his mom at Jenny Craig. He was wearing a VH tee shirt under a VH sweatshirt. And as Wes, pointed out, he has the stage presence of a pile of gravel. Ugh.
Dave's round house kicks aren't quite so high, but he still has a undeniable presence. He still has that goofy open mouth grin that just makes me laugh. He is still so...well...Dave. He has a tendency to get in the middle of everything. While Eddie is doing a solo, DLR comes up behind him and does some fingering thing...Funny once, but kinda distracting.
At one point Dave really doofed up the lyrics and it almost looked rehearsed...so I wondered if they planned it. He missed a few cues, and made a comment about it being 22 years since they'd done the songs. That was funny.
It was nice to see them at a smaller venue like Cox Arena. Last time I'd seen them it was at the forum in Inglewood I think. I have no clue about the opening act. One of Bob Marley's sons? Or a cousin three times removed?? Not so great IMO.
Lots of ladies for sure, not a many hotties as a typical Saturday night down in La Jolla, but the views were good if you were selective. Most were wearing jeans, only a couple short skirts. Plenty of enhanced bustage though. The crowd ranged from folks in their 50s down to their grandkids roaming around. I saw one guy with a concert jersey from 1979. I think I had that one! They were selling Kettle Corn outside, which seemed a little odd to me, but the beers were only a modest $7.00 each...
VH did not disappoint, I hope they can keep it together for another tour. They looked like they were having fun, and that is what VH was all about.

Jbb
11-26-2007, 10:21 AM
https://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43874&stc=1&d=1196101305

Froggystyle
11-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Scott and BR said it was the worst show they'd ever seen. We seem to have two very differing opinions.
Really... I wonder how many shows they could have possibly been to in order to come to that conclusion.
They have clearly never had to sit through Vince Neil getting booed off-stage at Cal-Expo... or GG Allen throwing up on the crowd.
Worst show? Van Halen with DLR? A little extreme, don't you think?
It was the best Van Halen concert I have ever seen with DLR in front.

Jbb
11-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Really... I wonder how many shows they could have possibly been to in order to come to that conclusion.
They have clearly never had to sit through Vince Neil getting booed off-stage at Cal-Expo... or GG Allen throwing up on the crowd.
Worst show? Van Halen with DLR? A little extreme, don't you think?
It was the best Van Halen concert I have ever seen with DLR in front.
....That being said....who puts on a better show...DLR or Sammy...?

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
11-26-2007, 12:10 PM
My friend bought my wife and me tickets for tomarrows show @arco arena up here in sacramento. I will let you know how concert was on wednesday if able to see straigh.
BIG JOE SSMF

haulina29
11-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Froggy at 34 how many VH concerts have you been to with DLR up front?;)

Froggystyle
11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Sammy so far. Greater range of my favorite VH songs.
Plain and simple... last night was like a pre-1984 wayback machine. I imagine that DLR had a little jam taken out of his donut compared to the early years, but technically they were all there and jamming. But, they were missing a huge amount of their best body of work.
I listen to VH I and 1984 start to finish, no skipping and no naps. I love that stuff, and the same can't be said for the later albums, but once Eddie had stepped up the production value after 1984 it is pretty tough to ignore how great the band became.
1984 was the first album that VH did that really charted high. VH with Sammy had four #1 albums in a row. More people bought the Hagar-era stuff, and mostly because from a musicality standpoint it was better quality.
DLR has always been a consumate showman. He knows how to work a crowd, and showed as much last night.
It boils down to this... Sammy did a great job singing all of the early favorites, and made them to a large degree his own while on stage. DLR didn't even try, and the thought of him busting out "Dreams" is asinine... he couldn't pull it off IMO.
Great show though... I will certainly take a straight and sober Eddie with Wolfgang and DLR over a drugged and drunk Eddie with Sammy three years ago, but the best show I have seen was in Fresno for the Live Right here, Right Now recordings.

Froggystyle
11-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Froggy at 34 how many VH concerts have you been to with DLR up front?;)
Exactly...
And by the way, I mention that in the first post.

haulina29
11-26-2007, 06:39 PM
The best VH anything was the News Years Eve party at the Whiskey before the first world tour . Unreal...........:sqeyes:

TRG
11-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Just nabbed some tix for december 14th today, i could care less, i just wanna go see some good old music and who knows, i might be able to get ahold of some "Adult leisure time bev's"! and come away with at the very least a hangover and no hearing! :D
Live music kicks ass whoever it is!

haulina29
11-28-2007, 07:35 AM
Froggy I went last nite . We had a very good time as DLR said we have 3/4 of VH here tonite . It was a 70s rock music concert pre Martha Quinn , One of the reasons DLR left VH was because he didnt want to switch to the MTV 80s style of music . Wolfie is exactly as you stated and his dad is proud ,They put on a good show for old men but it wasnt even close to the 70s/ early eighties show.When evolution of VH is mentioned we must remeber what DLR did for the band in the 70s when nobody new who they were unless you lived in So Cal ,if it wasnt for him there would have been no VH the build up to the first album and world tour was by far their greatest acheivment and was the foundation to the success they had in the 80s .The Ice Cream Man story has been told over and over for years, that and a few other things made it seem more like DLR was trying to relive the past instead of performing, it seemed more like a impersonator in Vegas using old material.Eddie was very good and his stamina was up he couldnt even stand thru the whole nite when they last toured with Sammy. By far not the best Eddie solo I have seen but very good for a beat up old man.And he out jumped DLR he took a flight off the 4 foot step up that was classic.Its a shame Mike Anthony wasnt included in the mix from a original stand point,but Wolfgang got the job done .VH ripped no matter who was up front, the club or bar shows as they call them were best and the ended around 78.This is just my thoughts not trying to change anybodys mind and would recomend any DLR fans to check it out....

Caljamr
11-28-2007, 07:51 AM
My .02 on this.
I saw DLR on his first solo tour where he repelled from the ceiling and rode a surf board out to a boxing ring that dropped down in the middle of the arena. It was over the top DLR style in a good way and i really liked the concert. I saw Sammy in San Diego and Cabo he rocked both times.
So i guess i'm all over the board. I like old VH, new VH and i like Sammy and DLR both with VH and solo. But nothing beats the original VH back in the day.

Froggystyle
11-28-2007, 08:35 AM
I'll give you guys that... I have no way of even beginning to estimate how this compared to the early days. Wolfgang isn't a whole lot younger than MA was when they started up, and he is clearly going to be a monster bass player as he matures.
I am looking forward to what the future brings. I wish they could all kiss and make up and have a Dave/Sammy lead singing concert event with them taking turns or something, but ego would never let them pull it off, and Sammy would never do it without MA... and Wolf is clearly in there now.
Too bad. I loved the DLR show, but Sammy was amazing too.
Now I can say I have seen both.

haulina29
11-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Froggy I think its kewl you have a interest in the band and know quite alot about them . You know what the main differnce between WVH and MA is or was . Wolfie is stone cold sober no Jack in the tank ;) can you imagine the stuff that kid has seen growing up with EVH for a dad........:D :D :D

Mandelon
11-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Any clue why Eddie is wearing a wedding ring? I know his divorce is final from Valerie B......is he pining for his lost love or maybe it just won't come off... He certainly isn't fat, so that can't be it.
I noticed it during the closeups of his fingering during the solos.

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
11-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Man what a great show last night, You can tell dlr does not range he used to have, but non the less great show! I would go again if there was another show close to me. And yes I have seen both david and sammy as lead singers. Froggy you touched on both dlr and sammy singing together, that would be best concert ever.
BIG JOE SSMF

haulina29
11-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Mandelon my wife asked the same thing about the ring last nite ...

Froggystyle
11-28-2007, 04:42 PM
We had a very good time as DLR said we have 3/4 of VH here tonite.
In an interview he said it was "3/4 Original, 1/4 inevitable..."
I thought that was pretty cool...

River Lynchmob
11-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Im going to the December show...cant wait.