PDA

View Full Version : Hand GPS recomendations

boaterbob
03-05-2002, 01:10 PM
OK,
I'm loking to buy a handheld GPS unit to use primarily on the boat and I am looking for some recommendation for which units to look at. I have close to zero time using one of these and I'd rather not get something that I regret once I figure out how to use it.
I will mostly be using it off of the coast of SoCal, in between San Diego and Ventura, and out to Catalins Island. Most of the time I will use it for trips between Newport Beach and Catalina Island. I am mostly concerned about not getting lost in the middle of the ocean and also being to get an idea of how fast I really go.
Any suggestions or thoughts to keep in mind while shopping for one of these.
Thx in advance

Flashwave
03-05-2002, 01:25 PM
Hi Boater Bob,
I would suggest you look at a Garmin 176. (Don't get the 176C. You cannot see it in the daylight). Smaller GPS's are too hard to read when bouncing over to Catalina. The 176 has a larger screen so you can see Long Beach, Newport and Catalina all at once and its user friendly. If you do decide on a smaller unit, I'll sell you my small screen Magellian real cheap.

euby
03-05-2002, 01:31 PM
if thats all you want it for i would recommend garmin etrek. i got one last year and love it! its small(no attenna), waterproof, and real easy to use. i have a magellon and you have to be rocket scientist to use it and its big. the only thing i don't like about the etrek is it eats batteries quick(two double aa's). they make a car adapter for it but i don't have one...yet http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

boaterbob
03-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys...I think I'll have to head to my local gadget store and play around with some of these...Not sure if stored like circuit city carry the MAP176 or not, but I'll find out....I'm pretty sur eI have seen the etrex at those stores though.

MrHavasuCat
03-05-2002, 03:10 PM
Go to west marine, they have several different models.

RAINMAN
03-05-2002, 03:43 PM
i also have a etrek ,simply to use and water proof,i even droped it in but it sinks so take care.

Maverick
03-05-2002, 04:12 PM
Bob,
Lowrance/eagle has a "rockwell" unit "GLobal Map 100 - not too pricey, but great reading ( even at speed in rough water) and many screen options for LARGE NUMBERS/easy read. It's a battery eater if not plugged in - but it has a cigarette plug, which I always use.
I have nothing but praise for mine. Speed reads to the 1/10 of a mph!! --- and no deviation as you make changes in course.
Cabela's sells it as I am sure others do.
It runs about $200.oo
A Buddy of mine spent about 1/2 as much on a Magellan but has problems with all of the above. So when he goes for speed with the new parts - he usually wants to "borrow" my GPS.
Again, I like mine - no complaints.
MAverick

Indy
03-05-2002, 05:06 PM
I use the new Garmin GPS MAP 76, handheld unit. I have the Waterways & Lights CD that I program on the computer and download on the handheld unit. I use it to navigate Long Island Sound out to Block Island. It works great and I am very satisfied with it after one season of use. It has many of the features of the larger units and you can customize the screens according to your preferences. I usually utilize the big lettters and numbers option because I boat in some choppy waters and its easier to read that way. There is also a small mount that I put on the helm so I can read it while underway, its made of plastic and I figured it would not last a season of bumps, but surprisingly, it made it!!

Michael Garibay
03-06-2002, 07:55 PM
I had a globalnav 12 by EAGLE(LOWERANCE),it looks just like a globlmap 100 but is a little cheaper.I've seen them on e-bay for about 70.00 on e-bay.It worked great going to Catalina,good luck
Mike Garibay

CV-23
03-22-2002, 06:12 AM
Just picked up a used Eagle Explorer for $40 and it works great for speed/direction/etc. It locks in in less than 30sec from a cold start. Its faster than the used Magellan 2000 I paid $60 for last Summer.....Mike.

Convincor253
04-25-2002, 04:09 AM
I have the Garmin 176C, and it works great! Even in the daylight. If you have not gotten one yet.....Get the Garmin! They are the best. I would highly recommend a chartplotter GPS. Anything else is junk on the water.

nextasex
05-31-2002, 07:02 PM
the magellan meridian marine gps is awesome! i use it for everything and is very accurate. about $300 at west marine.

King on the River
07-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Do any of the GPS' have downloadable maps of Colorado river & Lakes, Like havasu, mead, mohave, powell? Do they include info like camp spots, marinas, gas docks, launch ramps? I wan't to make sure the one I get I will get the most use out of.
Thanks

theskiffs
07-22-2003, 02:12 PM
I agree With Indy I have use my garmin 76 and logged over 5000 miles and put it though every condition and sill works great.Good value for the money. But color would be nice.

Hermosa
07-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Indy:
I use the new Garmin GPS MAP 76, handheld unit. I have the Waterways & Lights CD that I program on the computer and download on the handheld unit. I use it to navigate Long Island Sound out to Block Island. It works great and I am very satisfied with it after one season of use. It has many of the features of the larger units and you can customize the screens according to your preferences. I usually utilize the big lettters and numbers option because I boat in some choppy waters and its easier to read that way. There is also a small mount that I put on the helm so I can read it while underway, its made of plastic and I figured it would not last a season of bumps, but surprisingly, it made it!! Hey, can i burn a copy of that Maps CD, I'll give you $20.00. Let me know, thanks.

Kindsvater Flat
07-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Hermosa:
Indy:
I use the new Garmin GPS MAP 76, handheld unit. I have the Waterways & Lights CD that I program on the computer and download on the handheld unit. I use it to navigate Long Island Sound out to Block Island. It works great and I am very satisfied with it after one season of use. It has many of the features of the larger units and you can customize the screens according to your preferences. I usually utilize the big lettters and numbers option because I boat in some choppy waters and its easier to read that way. There is also a small mount that I put on the helm so I can read it while underway, its made of plastic and I figured it would not last a season of bumps, but surprisingly, it made it!! Hey, can i burn a copy of that Maps CD, I'll give you $20.00. Let me know, thanks. Unfortunately you are only allowed 2 access codes for the MapSource cds. Even if you own this disc and happen to have purchased a 3rd gps, you get stuck purchasing 2 more lock codes for 100 bucks.

Dr. Eagle
09-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Hello,
Based upon my experience with GPS, I would get a Garmin over a Magellan any day of the week. I have had two of each. I would also get one with the map feature like the one the fellow in the posting above suggested. Others you might consider would be the GPS III+, or GPS V because the screen is changable to use as a handheld or mounted horizontally on the dash with Velcro or one of their small brackets. It is updatable via the same computer interface from CD ROM.
[ September 26, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

rivercrazy
09-25-2003, 08:25 PM
I have the Garmin GPS III+
It works great and has pretty solid mapping features and you can down load detailed maps and trips with detailed way points. Makes running offshore point and shoot simple!

Dr. Eagle
09-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Yeah, of all four GPS units I have owned, the GPS III+ was my favorite. You can get them on ebay new pretty cheap too. You can download trip data and waypoints from your computer and the map function is not bad. It is a solid water resistant unit and has great features.

FRENCHIE
09-28-2003, 06:57 PM
I was in your boat three weeks ago, also thinking of a unit for powell, etc and ended up going with the garmin etrex vista...no regrets, got great deal brand new on ebay! definatley would reccomend! :D

OGShocker
09-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Flashwave:
Hi Boater Bob,
I would suggest you look at a Garmin 176. (Don't get the 176C. You cannot see it in the daylight). Smaller GPS's are too hard to read when bouncing over to Catalina. The 176 has a larger screen so you can see Long Beach, Newport and Catalina all at once and its user friendly.What he says!

MAXIMUS
09-30-2003, 03:52 PM
I have been using a magellan meridian gold for some time & am very happy with it. I just downloaded some new soft ware for free from their web site. Nice features, maps etc! Accuracy is 100%! :)