PDA

View Full Version : Does " No Seat Belt" ticket raise your insurance?

2Driver
09-25-2007, 02:22 PM
A buddy of mine got stopped for speeding in northern AZ last week. The Sheriff said I will give you a break and give you a "no seat belt ticket" instead of the 15 MPH over ticket.
I heard that a "no seat belt ticket" can actually be worse than a speeding ticket when it comes to raising insurance rates?

Cole Trickle
09-25-2007, 02:25 PM
A buddy of mine got stopped for speeding in northern AZ last week. The Sheriff said I will give you a break and give you a "no seat belt ticket" instead of the 15 MPH over ticket.
I heard that a "no seat belt ticket" can actually be worse than a speeding ticket when it comes to raising insurance rates?
It won't typically effect your rate in CA. (I would imagine the same in AZ)
If it was a minor (-18) without a belt then it is chargeable.

Nord
09-25-2007, 02:26 PM
I believe it just needs to be paid and is similar to a fix-it-ticket....

YeLLowBoaT
09-25-2007, 02:27 PM
It does not, but I think it should.

RiverDave
09-25-2007, 02:29 PM
I know they dont' ever go off your damn record!! I got one years and years back (I'm talking the 1st year the law went into effect) and then got one again 2 years ago and they gave me some ludicrous fine becuase I had a previous one.. WTF?
RD

Baja Big Dog
09-25-2007, 02:31 PM
It should triple your insuance...:eek:

Old Hawaiian Cruiser
09-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Pay the fine and If available, do the on line traffic school session, then it will not go on your record.:D
OHC

Cole Trickle
09-25-2007, 02:39 PM
I know they dont' ever go off your damn record!! I got one years and years back (I'm talking the 1st year the law went into effect) and then got one again 2 years ago and they gave me some ludicrous fine becuase I had a previous one.. WTF?
RD
The DMV hates you;):jawdrop:

Jyruiz
09-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Or they know that, RD suxs.:D

2Driver
09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
It should triple your insuance...:eek:
From the Ins Company standpoint you pose a hell of a greater financial risk driving around without a seat belt then you do 15 MPH over.
Sure be nice to know for sure in case I am ever offered that choice.

rsoscia
09-25-2007, 02:42 PM
today i saw 2 police cars on the 60 freeway and they were not wearing seat belts. Do law inforcment agents have to wear seat belts?

AZJD
09-25-2007, 02:42 PM
It will not add to point total but the insurance company can see them now. They can also see the photo radar and red light tickets we haven't been paying. Those drop on your insurance reports and hinder your score for quotes and rates.

RiverDave
09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
I think I blocked that day out of my memory until just now..
RD <--- getting pissed at the DMV just thinking about it

RitcheyRch
09-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Agree 100%

Cole Trickle
09-25-2007, 03:32 PM
I think I blocked that day out of my memory until just now..
RD <--- getting pissed at the DMV just thinking about it
lol....:D

Jordy
09-25-2007, 03:41 PM
They can also see the photo radar and red light tickets we haven't been paying.
No they can't. If you don't pay it and don't get served they go away, just like you never got it, or were found not responsible. ;)
Your problem isn't the photo radar tickets, it's the speeding, tint too dark, no mudflap tickets. :D

sorry dog
09-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Why?
I think my right to not give a shit about my safety and have more convenience is more important than a few bucks of your insurance premium.
If you don't agree then maybe we should all have propeller guards at the river so that nobody gets cut up and the boats go slower. Should help out your boat premiums too.

Nord
09-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Why?
I think my right to not give a shit about my safety and have more convenience is more important than a few bucks of your insurance premium.
If you don't agree then maybe we should all have propeller guards at the river so that nobody gets cut up and the boats go slower. Should help out your boat premiums too.
OH boy............Here we go............

YeLLowBoaT
09-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Why?
Very simple, you are more likly to get hurt/ killed in a crash with out one = ins company has to pay more= every one else has to pay more.
I'm at about 2k a month with My all of my insurance policies. The last thing I need/ want is to have my rates go up becuase some one would not buckle thier seat belt.

MudPumper
09-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Pay the fine and If available, do the on line traffic school session, then it will not go on your record.:D
OHC
In CA you cannot go to traffic school for a seat belt ticket. It is not a point so traffic school does not apply.
today i saw 2 police cars on the 60 freeway and they were not wearing seat belts. Do law inforcment agents have to wear seat belts?
No. Police Officers are exempt.

socalmoney
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Cops typically don't wear a belt when driving under 35. They will strap up on the freeway or if they have to drive a bit crazy to get somewhere. There is a big plaque in county cars that say you must wear a belt. County policy.

Beer-30
09-25-2007, 10:58 PM
In CA, the FIRST seatbelt ticket is not used against your record by insurance agencies.
Most judges make it a moving violation for the second and more offenses. Also, the fine generally doubles each time - similar to multiple tint tickets.
Officers are exempt from the vehicle code during enforcement. Different agencies have different policies about wearing it.

Outnumbered
09-25-2007, 11:50 PM
All you seat belt Nazis be careful what you wish for. Pretty soon you will be getting no PFD tickets in our boats and your boat insurance will go up as a result:rolleyes: :D

uLtRADeNniS
09-26-2007, 12:42 AM
I have had 3 seat belt tickets all from San Dimas Sherrif Dept ...Which is BS because every vehicle I've owned had limo tint.... But I'll biitch about that another day. :D
Traffic school does nothing. It does not effect your insurance rate. Just pay the $82 and your on your way. ;)
From the Ins Company standpoint you pose a hell of a greater financial risk driving around without a seat belt then you do 15 MPH over.
Sure be nice to know for sure in case I am ever offered that choice.
Not true. You have a limit to what your insured for thats it. I had the same concern.. My insurance company told me they don't care. Heck.. i think they are better off if you die... Then they are only liable for the others involved in the wreck. ;) :D
..but what the hell do I know. Im one of those stubborn Idiots that refuses to buckle up. LOL

sorry dog
09-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Very simple, you are more likly to get hurt/ killed in a crash with out one = ins company has to pay more= every one else has to pay more.
I'm at about 2k a month with My all of my insurance policies. The last thing I need/ want is to have my rates go up becuase some one would not buckle thier seat belt.
In that case you should start a helmet campaign and five point racing harnesses. Just think of the amount of insurance money that would save and your premiums could go down 5%.
...wonder when motorcycles will be required to have belts.

Old Hawaiian Cruiser
09-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawaiian Cruiser
Pay the fine and If available, do the on line traffic school session, then it will not go on your record.
OHC
[QUOTE=MudPumper;2808482]In CA you cannot go to traffic school for a seat belt ticket. It is not a point so traffic school does not apply.
I was in CA when I received my "no seat belt ticket" It was a long time ago (12 yrs ago maybe?) but when I went to court for it, I was given the option to do traffic school which I did "on line", I also paid the fine, and it never went on my record no insurance rate increases either. So maybe things have changed since then but that's the way it went for me. My .02. :idea:
OHC

Wicky
09-26-2007, 08:43 PM
In that case you should start a helmet campaign and five point racing harnesses. Just think of the amount of insurance money that would save and your premiums could go down 5%.
...wonder when motorcycles will be required to have belts.
And airbags!!!

Wicky
09-26-2007, 08:44 PM
$5 fine in Idaho.

Ultracrazy
09-26-2007, 09:27 PM
No......exempt per the CVC