PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Bullet/TPI Vol. 2.

kap
09-25-2007, 07:25 PM
A brief preface is required before the details and numbers are disclosed.
Well the Howard Regatta was this past weekend and I was debating on whether to attend but decided it would be nice to attend and see a lot of custom Howards all in one place. However, I was still undecided and wavering on whether I was going to attend.
Shortly thereafter, I received a call and an invitation from my engine builder asking if I would like to accompany him on some speed runs after the Regatta. I said absolutely, it would be a great reason to attend not to mention the comaraderie and boating between all the Howard owners. In any case the phone call was all it took for me to make my decision so we packed and rolled out for Havasu.
Saturday morning Havasu had some rain and wind but it later cleared up nicely. The Howard Regatta started at Rotary Beach with lots of beautiful boats showing up despite the lack of cooperation from the weather. The plan for the speed runs was to meet up early Sunday in the a.m. when the water was calm and the air still crisp.
The technical details are as follows:
Boat:
28 Howard Bullet Composite Model---Closed Bow---Color---Tangerine Orange
Engine:
Taylor Performance Inc.
Drive:
Max Machine Worx Drive
Area:
South Lake Havasu
Temperature
70-72 Degrees---Clear Skies, Sunny, slight breeze.
Unfortunately, we ran out of prop seems a 34 lab is in order as the motor had plenty left in it but just need a bigger prop. If you consider installing a bigger prop along with some colder temperatures the numbers above would be much higher.
This 28 HOWARD BULLET AND TAYLOR PERFORMANCE motor combination is in my words a certified "Cat Killer". The roll on acceleration is mind boggling and quite impressive. I honestly, was unaccustomed to such blink of the eye midrange acceleration---80 to 105 in mere seconds. I guess thats what monster power does when you lean on it ever so slightly:) .
Which brings me to the handling which in it's own right was equally impressive. A 28 footer that handles like a slot car. When most boats (V-Bottoms in 28ft range) are faltering, chine walking or are a hand full to drive at such high speeds--- this Bullet provided stability,comfort and confidence at triple digit speeds. The boat also tracked straight at high speed and did not exhibit any ill handling characteristics.
The experience was a complete rush of adrenaline---the kind of heart pumping, skip a beat, ear to ear--- green smily face type of feeling:D . What an awesome conclusion to a great weekend:) :). Glad I was fortunate enough to be the wingman on that day.
Thanks! again to TPI for the invite :) :) .
Very truly yours,
KAP
P.S. To Howard Custom Boats we had a great time at the Regatta and made a lot of new friends:) .

BLOWN HOWARD
09-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Funny you use the term CAT KILLER i have had that name in the back of my head for a few yrs now. and was going to be the name of my BULLET if money was no option!!!!!!

kap
09-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Well I haven't seen it yet on a Howard---but it elicited some grins from Gary he liked the term and he has the boat to--- back up the claim to the name.
KAP

BLOWN HOWARD
09-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Only reason you havent seen it on a HOWARD yet is cause i cant afford a BULLET with 1200HP some day though

GoCiggie31
09-26-2007, 05:46 AM
A Unfortunately, we ran out of prop seems a 34 lab is in order as the motor had plenty left in it but just need a bigger prop. .
wow, congrats. that is great.
Those Bullets are beautiful and with the power you have , it sounds like you have achieved your goal (so far:D ).
what size tabs you running (if you are) at at those WOT speeds AND are they (tabs) being used for any stabilization (ie chine walk) at the WOT runs?
Thanks and be safe with her :-)

GoCiggie31
09-26-2007, 05:53 AM
forgot to ask, are you bringing up that 'ROCKET' to the radar runs in northern california in a couple weeks?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164803
Love to see that machine show some cats how its done in a v-bottom :D :D :D
thanks for sharing
be safe

phebus
09-26-2007, 06:18 AM
You need to keeep it relative, and compare apples to apples. Fantastic performing vee with an awesome TPI engine, but I have a feeling if you put that same power plant in a cat, you might have your ass handed to you.

kap
09-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Phebus:
If that same powerplant is put in a Cat you no doubt would get a lot higher numbers. I say cat killer because most high performance cat owners rely on their advantage in hull dynamics until a v-bottom walks away from them.
Then it's the classic "what the hell does that guy have in that boat" look:eek: :eek: :eek: .
GoCiggie31:
Clarification, is needed I was the wingman/co-pilot on that boat. The owner of that boat is Mr. Gary Taylor formerly known on ***boat as TPI. The boat is set-up perfectly and the driver knows the sweet spots to get the most out of the combination. [Note:---That's called knowing your boat and a lot of seat time.]
I have always wanted to come up to Discovery Bay their is a certain Skater I want to see run up their and I know the owner. Claims his boat is capable of speeds into the 148-155MPH range it would be worth the gas/trip to see it run in the Delta.
Appreciate the invite and kind words:) .
KAP

09-26-2007, 07:44 AM
what size tabs you running (if you are) at at those WOT speeds AND are they (tabs) being used for any stabilization (ie chine walk) at the WOT runs?
I couldn't make the regatta this year but I have ridden in the "Great Pumpkin" up to 110MPH and Gary never touched the tabs. I would be surprised if Gary used them (Dana HP-900). Not pride, just usually not needed. He does use them pulling his kids in their tube.:D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/383143m.JPG
Congrats Gary! Whish I could've been there!
-----Rob

acatitude
09-26-2007, 07:49 AM
114 is a damn good number regardless cat or V, specially when you pull your kids with the boat also..... But then again it is a HOWARD:D :D
;) excellence is routine ;)

kap
09-26-2007, 08:33 AM
You are quite correct in your post.
The Specifications on the trim tabs are as follows:
The tabs on the boat are for tubing and wakeboarding only. The boat is run with them all the way up....................They are mounted to the transom 1" up off the bottom, and 4.5" up at the trailing edge of the tab. They are always run in the full up position during high speed runs. The bottom is doing all thework

justfloatn
09-27-2007, 06:31 AM
You need to keeep it relative, and compare apples to apples. Fantastic performing vee with an awesome TPI engine, but I have a feeling if you put that same power plant in a cat, you might have your ass handed to you.
NOPE! You are incorrect.:D
I can think of two cats in this area. A 28' Eliminator with two 525's and a custom Cat with a 1100HP motor that would have a hard time hitting 115MPH.
How about yours acatatude, how may HP to hit your MPH?

acatitude
09-27-2007, 08:49 AM
NOPE! You are incorrect.:D
I can think of two cats in this area. A 28' Eliminator with two 525's and a custom Cat with a 1100HP motor that would have a hard time hitting 115MPH.
How about yours acatatude, how may HP to hit your MPH?
your nuts boatfloatin. your way off base
the daytona is bone stock so no comparison.. 2 motors and drives to make a given hp vs. 1 of each to do it is a lot of weight difference..
the other boat your refering to I wont even comment on.
same length, weight and HP in a V and a cat... ill take the cat every time.
you need to read phebus's post again, same power... dah get a clue
thats one bad ass bullet for sure

justfloatn
09-27-2007, 11:09 AM
First, Me being nuts has nothing to do with it:D
Second, It's a Bullet Vs. Cat. .....Not a Standard V Vs. Cat.
Third, Stock is a 425HP not a 525HP
Fourth, My point is it would not be an ass whipping as stated,
it would be a good race.
:D :boxingguy :D

acatitude
09-27-2007, 01:49 PM
First, Me being nuts has nothing to do with it:D
Second, It's a Bullet Vs. Cat. .....Not a Standard V Vs. Cat.
Third, Stock is a 425HP not a 525HP
Fourth, My point is it would not be an ass whipping as stated,
it would be a good race.
:D :boxingguy :D
whatever you say .. have a nice day:rolleyes:

kap
09-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Justfloatn:
I appreciate your input and enthusiasm for debate however the cat's have a decided hull advantage with identical power. You are correct in your general premise which is the 28 Howard Bullet and TPI motor are a formidable combination against any v-bottom or cat hull. Not to mention hitting the 100 plus mark at will and with relative ease.
As for Acatitude his diplomacy skills need to be softened a bit he has a short fuse. On the flip side I will agree with him---"that is one bad azz BULLET".
Oh by the way we hit some turns doing about 75MPH and pulled some noticeable G's doing it felt very "race car" like in the turns. A lot of fun to say the least.
KAP
P.S. Acatitude: What are you running in your Howard---motor? drive? top speed?

hulshot
09-27-2007, 11:34 PM
I had a Howard cat once and it had about 1000hp with a Imco drive, stock leg, and a 32 pitch prop and it ran best speed of 122 in your pond down there.:D
by the way Nice Bullet. I was very close to getting one a few years ago but I couldnt go to a V from a CAT. It would be like in ways going from a v-drive from a Jet boat with the power for power thing you mentioned.;)

justfloatn
09-28-2007, 06:16 AM
Kap
I agree with you and what acatatude were conveying. And I am fully aware of the advantages of a Cat type hull. They are the same advantages that a hydro has over a flat. Simply put; less boat in the water equals more speed with the same HP.
I did make a snap judgment by assuming the HP in this bullet. It is not stated. But based on an assumption of 900 to 1100HP I think those speed numbers are awesome. And there are a few Cat hull manufactures out there that in my opinion would loose to the bullet with the same power. Ultra & Nordic to point out a couple.
The only thing I do not agree with is the comment by Phebus,
"your ass handed to you" :D

hulshot
09-28-2007, 07:49 AM
It would be a good race though with the cat slowly pulling away at the big end. The only problem withy the bullet is the Drive. I would be very concerned with it. Big V with alot of boat in the water with a big wheel on the end of it.:eek:

Essex502
09-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Depends on the distance raced, Rick. Gary's boat accellerates SO quickly that a large lead would have to be overcome. Depending on the distance, that lead may or may not be made up. Granted, with enough distance the more efficient hull of a cat should allow it to win.

acatitude
09-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Justfloatn:
I appreciate your input and enthusiasm for debate however the cat's have a decided hull advantage with identical power. You are correct in your general premise which is the 28 Howard Bullet and TPI motor are a formidable combination against any v-bottom or cat hull. Not to mention hitting the 100 plus mark at will and with relative ease.
As for Acatitude his diplomacy skills need to be softened a bit he has a short fuse. On the flip side I will agree with him---"that is one bad azz BULLET".
Oh by the way we hit some turns doing about 75MPH and pulled some noticeable G's doing it felt very "race car" like in the turns. A lot of fun to say the least.
KAP
all i said was that the bullet was a bad ass boat.... i am soft and sensetive.. and I know that howard that ran 122:D

Lavey29
09-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Thats a great top end number and I am sure the mid range was blistering also. I'd love to have one of those TPI 1100's or is it 1200 now in my new boat. Gotta give credit to that MAX drive also. Seems to really hold up under big loads...

hulshot
09-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Depends on the distance raced, Rick. Gary's boat accellerates SO quickly that a large lead would have to be overcome. Depending on the distance, that lead may or may not be made up. Granted, with enough distance the more efficient hull of a cat should allow it to win.
If he didnt own a shop that rebuilt drives he wouldnt be on it hard. These arent drag boats. The drives will hold up to a few hard torque accellerations, but not many.
I am sure he uses a different prop to tube and a different prop to make a big number. I dont think the motor he has will spin much past 6100-6300 rpms, not with a hydrolic cam, he makes alot of torque.

acatitude
09-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Justfloatn:
KAP
well this thread was about how bad ass the bullet was till some of you hijacked it....my howard has a blown Peto motor and bmax since you asked. its just a grocery getter:D see post 17....... lmao...

hulshot
09-30-2007, 07:39 AM
well this thread was about how bad ass the bullet was till some of you hijacked it....my howard has a blown Peto motor and bmax since you asked. its just a grocery getter:D see post 17....... lmao...
Hey that is what keeps threads going for a while is to hijack them and talk about other things also but then get back to the topic of BAD A$$ BULLET, see what I did there, refered to the topic. I had a kinda sorta v bottom boat once it was RED, it had a 600 in it.:D

Lavey29
09-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Hey Kap, did you pick up your new deck yet? Maybe you could roll by my house on your way back down south. I am on the way and right off the freeway for you and I'd love to see that beauty...take care...
Marc

kap
09-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Hello Marc:
Well I do not have the boat as of yet however you cannot rush a masterpiece:D so I am not so patiently waiting. Good news is the motor is in and the rigging is about done. Howard will need to finish up some cosmetic stuff along with stereo/intercom and it should be ready to roll here real soon.
If you want to see it swing by Howard in about five days and it should be in the shop almost ready to go.
ESSEX502
That is exactly what I was thinking once the Bullet had the lead it would be very difficult to overtake at least not without some seriously long stretchs of water.
Hulshot wrote:
If he didnt own a shop that rebuilt drives he wouldnt be on it hard. These arent drag boats. The drives will hold up to a few hard torque accellerations, but not many.
I am sure he uses a different prop to tube and a different prop to make a big number. I dont think the motor he has will spin much past 6100-6300 rpms, not with a hydrolic cam, he makes alot of torque.
Hulshot---I do not believe TPI owns a drive shop unless you know something I do not:) . The drive that day held up quite nice we did a lot of runs back and forth for the camera and video. The midrange roll on's would dumbfound most people who are unaccustomed to such acceleration myself included in that category.
Granted, it you cannot drop the hammer out of the hole or slam bam the drive but you can roll on the sticks in a manner which makes the whole boat respond accordingly--- like snap your neck back if your not paying attention.
I did not mention the horsepower the motor is making because at this time the motor is a "skunk works" project for those unfamiliar with the term--- it means area 51 stuff-cloak and dagger. As for RPM's the above numbers are a little light but you are correct about the torque it is off the computer charts.
I am surprised the other 28 Bullet owners are not chiming in on this thread about their personal bests it's not hi-jacking if your talking about your Howard and speed:D :D .
Acatitude:
I like those numbers very impressive and a lot of fun "but then again it's a Howard":) .
Sincerely,
KAP
P.S. What a beautiful weekend to be on the water--- it was awesome.

hulshot
09-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Hello Marc:
Well I do not have the boat as of yet however you cannot rush a masterpiece:D so I am not so patiently waiting. Good news is the motor is in and the rigging is about done. Howard will need to finish up some cosmetic stuff along with stereo/intercom and it should be ready to roll here real soon.
If you want to see it swing by Howard in about five days and it should be in the shop almost ready to go.
ESSEX502
That is exactly what I was thinking once the Bullet had the lead it would be very difficult to overtake at least not without some seriously long stretchs of water.
Hulshot wrote:
Hulshot---I do not believe TPI owns a drive shop unless you know something I do not:) . The drive that day held up quite nice we did a lot of runs back and forth for the camera and video. The midrange roll on's would dumbfound most people who are unaccustomed to such acceleration myself included in that category.
Granted, it you cannot drop the hammer out of the hole or slam bam the drive but you can roll on the sticks in a manner which makes the whole boat respond accordingly--- like snap your neck back if your not paying attention.
I did not mention the horsepower the motor is making because at this time the motor is a "skunk works" project for those unfamiliar with the term--- it means area 51 stuff-cloak and dagger. As for RPM's the above numbers are a little light but you are correct about the torque it is off the computer charts.
I am surprised the other 28 Bullet owners are not chiming in on this thread about their personal bests it's not hi-jacking if your talking about your Howard and speed:D :D .
Acatitude:
I like those numbers very impressive and a lot of fun "but then again it's a Howard":) .
Sincerely,
KAP
P.S. What a beautiful weekend to be on the water--- it was awesome.
KAP my appologies I was thinking this was the boat GT put together that was orange or maybe it was CP that had a 11-1200hp quad in it that was supposed to be the fastest bullet, hell maybe it was a 25, either way wrong boat.
I agree from a rolling start from about 50 on to get the boat up and out of the water some. this motor must be efi, solid roller, or quad cammed, with a small wheel, or gears, to have neck jaring accelleration and to top out at 115 @ 6500+ rpms. would be a fun ride. And yes the cats may or may not accellerate as fast but would start realing them on the big end. It all depends on how you want to say you beat them. Its all fun to watch someones expression when they think the orange family boat is just a mild hot rod and they roll on you and you pass them and wait for them to catch you. :jawdrop: :)

acatitude
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
KAP my appologies I was thinking this was the boat GT put together that was orange or maybe it was CP that had a 11-1200hp quad in it that was supposed to be the fastest bullet, hell maybe it was a 25, either way wrong boat.
I agree from a rolling start from about 50 on to get the boat up and out of the water some. this motor must be efi, solid roller, or quad cammed, with a small wheel, or gears, to have neck jaring accelleration and to top out at 115 @ 6500+ rpms. would be a fun ride. And yes the cats may or may not accellerate as fast but would start realing them on the big end. It all depends on how you want to say you beat them. Its all fun to watch someones expression when they think the orange family boat is just a mild hot rod and they roll on you and you pass them and wait for them to catch you. :jawdrop: :)
damn hullshot, stop being such a pussy and be abbrassive like me, its more fun watchin them get all fired up:D :D

hulshot
10-05-2007, 07:38 AM
damn hullshot, stop being such a pussy and be abbrassive like me, its more fun watchin them get all fired up:D :D
Are you done playing in Havazoo??? get home and get to work. :D

acatitude
10-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Are you done playing in Havazoo??? get home and get to work. :D
honey i'm home:)