PDA

View Full Version : Anybody drive a 415hp Jeep Grand Cherokee?

C-2
02-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Thinking of switching from the MBZ to a sporty mini-SUV. Have been eyeballing the Infiniti FX45 (320hp and hard to find); the wifey likes the Cayenne (I don't wanna buy one cuz of the price and the fact it's a Porsche and will spend half the time in the shop), and then tonight i see all the Infiniti owners whining about the Jeep, which retails new, fully loaded with GPS for about $45K. The only thing quicker is the Cayenne Turbo S, which retails for $120K. The Jeep smokes the BMW, the new turbo Range Rover and even the AMG MBZ ML500.
Damn, 415hp, Brembo brakes.........sounds like a good time to me!
Anybody drive one, or know of anybody who does?

In2Deep
02-27-2006, 06:35 AM
First I've heard of a 415 HP Jeep.
Worth checking out.
I almost pulled the trigger on the FX45 a few months back.
Awesome vehicle. Last second, went Lexus instead.

Flashover
02-27-2006, 06:44 AM
The new Trailblaze SS V8 i believe is 425 HP. and all wheel drive. Doublecheck with Jay though. Its pretty sweet.. :crossx:

MagicMtnDan
02-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Check the car magazines - I think Car & Driver reviewed both the Jeep and the Chevy and they actually liked the Chevy better :argue: Seems that one of the Jeep's problems is that it can't do truck-like stuff (may as well buy a 300C or Charger with the Hemi).
There's a very cool SUV coming out any day now worth checking out - from Audi. It's the Q7 and while it may not keep up with the Jeep in speed it'll do everything else better and the quality is much better (it's built on a modified Cayenne/Touareg chassis).
If you've gotta have a fast SUV the king of that hill is the new Cayenne Turbo S - something like 540 HP! :cool:

Tom Brown
02-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Jeep is also promising a diesel in 07.

prosthogod
02-27-2006, 07:08 AM
I drove it at the SRT experience. We compared it to all of dodge/chrysler SRT vehicles. The only to beat it in the drag was the viper. It will throw your head back in the head rest at launch. Not a lot of wheel spin due to all wheel drive. Overall it "ROCKS"

2Driver
02-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Edmunds has online reviews of both.
Seems like the Trailblazer it a better choice. Unless I read something wrong both were neck and neck in the 1/4. Additionally, the Chevy tows better and in my opinion is better looking and will have a better resale. You are right. Those Porche, Audi and Mers will take your kid$ college funds to stay maintained. :rolleyes:

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Check the car magazines - I think Car & Driver reviewed both the Jeep and the Chevy and they actually liked the Chevy better :argue: Seems that one of the Jeep's problems is that it can't do truck-like stuff (may as well buy a 300C or Charger with the Hemi).
There's a very cool SUV coming out any day now worth checking out - from Audi. It's the Q7 and while it may not keep up with the Jeep in speed it'll do everything else better and the quality is much better (it's built on a modified Cayenne/Touareg chassis).
If you've gotta have a fast SUV the king of that hill is the new Cayenne Turbo S - something like 540 HP! :cool:
There was a point in time that every Jeep had to make it over the Rubicon trail to be put into production... I guess not anymore. :(

Cole Trickle
02-27-2006, 08:48 AM
The Jeep SRT-8 is very impressive.
I am a Chevy fan and like the new Trailblazer SS but the Jeep spanks it pretty hard in a straight line, around corners and with better braking power.
DC dosen't play around with the SRT lineup.
I want to say that people are running low 13's at around 105 in the Jeep. :crossx:
The TB SS has 395 HP and are sneaking into the 13's at arond 102.
Like stated above Jeep (Chrysler) went for performance and left out all of the important truck stuff. (Towing capacity is pretty low from what I remember)
Basicly if you want a hot rod that will surprise alot of people the SRT-8 might be right up your alley.If your gonna hand the keys to your wife I would make sure she is good with a high HP vehicle and explain that this thing will smoke a new Mustang GT.
Expect to pay every bit of sticker if not more unless you get lucky.

C-2
02-27-2006, 03:04 PM
We're gonna give it a looksy, along with the Infiniti. At 415hp, I bet the thing is a blast to drive.
My sister/bro in-law showed me their baller car yesterday, a new Aston Martin DB9 convertible. It's a sick ride, but when I asked how many ponies it's squeezing out of the V12 - he gleefully said 480.
480 on a V12? WTF

ROZ
02-27-2006, 03:10 PM
We're gonna give it a looksy, along with the Infiniti. At 415hp, I bet the thing is a blast to drive.
My sister/bro in-law showed me their baller car yesterday, a new Aston Martin DB9 convertible. It's a sick ride, but when I asked how many ponies it's squeezing out of the V12 - he gleefully said 480.
480 on a V12? WTF
That's over 160k too.... I hear they're quite pimp though...

spectras only
02-27-2006, 03:55 PM
The SRT-8 was tested going faster than the Cayenne . The reason for the low towing capacity is the tires .I've seen a few on the road already [ lucky bastards :p ] The SVT Litghning was also rated low [ 5000 max] because of the performance tires it came with . The Corvette used to be rated at 2000 max [ while had all the power ] and the newer models are not even rated for towing [ lack of airflow through a real grill ] I think.

H20 Toie
02-27-2006, 10:35 PM
The SRT-8 was tested going faster than the Cayenne . The reason for the low towing capacity is the tires .I've seen a few on the road already [ lucky bastards :p ] The SVT Litghning was also rated low [ 5000 max] because of the performance tires it came with . The Corvette used to be rated at 2000 max [ while had all the power ] and the newer models are not even rated for towing [ lack of airflow through a real grill ] I think.
My SRT-10 pickup isn't rated to tow anything but is a blast to drive