PDA

View Full Version : Havasu news

HotDogz
09-27-2007, 05:40 AM
http://www.kpho.com/news/14214579/detail.html
:(

Tequila-John
09-27-2007, 06:53 AM
This is crazy news. Chan 15 news here in AZ said there are talks they MIGHT shut the lake down. Not sure how that can even be done or what the out come will look like the Havasu economy

THOR
09-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Does anyone know where these kids were swimming?
Channel? Isolated Beach?

westair
09-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Does anyone know where these kids were swimming?
Channel? Isolated Beach?
I heard Windsor Beach

Quest4Fun
09-27-2007, 08:06 AM
The boy was swimming at Windsor Beach 4 and as sad as this is I highly doubt that they will shut down the entire lake. This amoeba must survive in a warm water environment and since the lake temperatures has already dropped it probably is no longer a threat. There have been cases in Texas and Florida, and I don't believe they ever shut down those waterways.

westair
09-27-2007, 08:12 AM
The boy was swimming at Windsor Beach 4 and as sad as this is I highly doubt that they will shut down the entire lake. This amoeba must survive in a warm water environment and since the lake temperatures has already dropped it probably is no longer a threat. There have been cases in Texas and Florida, and I don't believe they ever shut down those waterways.
What temp is considered warm water environment?

THOR
09-27-2007, 08:34 AM
This scares me to death with my kids. We hang on beaches toward the south part of the lake. The water really isnt stagnant since there are some waves that are coming in and out. I am pretty worried now to be honest.

Ziggy
09-27-2007, 08:39 AM
We swam around at Windsor4 a few weeks back when the boat broke down with my daughter and her friend. I've been watching their health since the article said it takes a week or so for symptoms to surface... Glad to say no issues.
Seems to me the water has cooled down enough not to harbor this anymore.

Quest4Fun
09-27-2007, 09:01 AM
What temp is considered warm water environment?
I have read over 80 water temp in stagnent, non-flowing water. This can also live in hot springs and pools that are not maintained.

SHAWNINATOR
09-27-2007, 09:03 AM
That gives me another reason not to go to havasu.

HavasuUncleLarry
09-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Lets not overreact... .everything we do has some potential for danger. 23 deaths in the USA over a 7+ year period of time does not make me think its anything other than very rare happening.
Tell me what can you do in this day and age where there is absolutely no threat of danger?
Lets try and keep everything in perspective......... Yes, its extremely sad that a young man lost his life.... but but but........ if we start rumors and shut down everything were a life is lost..... their will be nothing for any of us to do..
Heart Felt Wishes to the family and friends of the young man - Life then goes on... And Life is only a life when you live it.....
Larry

Not So Fast
09-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Lets not overreact... .everything we do has some potential for danger. 23 deaths in the USA over a 7+ year period of time does not make me think its anything other than very rare happening.
Tell me what can you do in this day and age where there is absolutely no threat of danger?
Lets try and keep everything in perspective......... Yes, its extremely sad that a young man lost his life.... but but but........ if we start rumors and shut down everything were a life is lost..... their will be nothing for any of us to do..
Heart Felt Wishes to the family and friends of the young man - Life then goes on... And Life is only a life when you live it.....
Larry
Your are correct IMO. I would be more concerned with the human urine and the like in the channel on a busy weekend:( NSF

Quest4Fun
09-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Larry
Well said.

westair
09-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Larry
Is this the end of it, case closed or does the CDC or anybody else do any further testing to see if there is a bigger problem.

Not So Fast
09-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Isn't human urine a natural antiseptic?
Thats right, it works on Jelly fish stings huh??:D NSF

HavasuUncleLarry
09-27-2007, 06:25 PM
CDC has looked into it.. That is where the final cause was confirmed.
Mohave County and Arizona State Health Departments have reviewed everything and the city released a statement.....
State Official have informed the city they do not feel the general populace is at risk and they are not recommending warning signs be posted at state parks or public access to Lake Havasu or be restricted or otherwise controlled... The city will maintain contact with state and county health officials to monitor any changing conditions or new information.... .
City staff has communicated with community officials in Texas and Florida that have experienced similar circumstances and Lake Havasu is learning from their experience and actively sharing information.
This is inpart a press release issure by the City Of Lake Havasu from the Desk of City Manager Richard Kaffenberger....
Please pm me if you any further questions...

OverKill
09-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Larry in all seriuosness, the "Channel" does need a severe dredging !! and Lake Havasu has more than enough money to take care of the dredging and disposal of waste material, go from end to end during the months Jan-Mar and it'll be a healthier place!!!, please convey that to the powers that be !!
I'd like to hear thier response. You can convey that my parents have lived there for over 15 years, and we've been coming to Havasu since 1973ish.
Scott
HP I agree %100 with you. My wife and I took a cruise through the channel a few days prior to Labor day weekend. I couldn't believe how awfull the water was, and stunk to. It even made a friend of mine very naushis. A good dredging would be good, even bring value to structures on the shore line.
OverKill

HavasuUncleLarry
09-28-2007, 05:07 AM
Army Corp of Engineers has control over the bottom of the channel... The city has been working with them and have submitted all the required paperwork to get permission to dredge the channel again.
Approval is expected and dredging should take place in 2008 (not during the busy boating season)
When they dredge the channel they must suck the dirt/sludge/sand out from the bottom in a tube the tube then goes to the shoreline and is loaded onto a truck or maybe a barge on the water. . The rules to dredge the channel as set by the Army Corp are very strict...
Rest assured it will be done soon as all the approvals are received and the go ahead given....
Hope this helps..
Larry

Not So Fast
09-28-2007, 07:18 AM
I believe I saw that on Survivor. :D
OK, next time you have a cut or abrasion call me and I'll come over and pee on it :D :D :D NSF

Taylor923
09-28-2007, 08:02 AM
There is no need for panic. This has happened a few times on one of our local lakes here in east Texas. In late summer, when temps are high, and no recent rainfall is when you have a chance to get this. Only in shallow stagnite water. That is one of the reasons we go to the deep rocky bottom lakes in Arkansas.

OutCole'd
09-28-2007, 08:09 AM
OK, next time you have a cut or abrasion call me and I'll come over and pee on it :D :D :D NSF
Classic :D :D

Not So Fast
09-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Classic :D :D
If it put a smile on your face then I'm happy:D NSF