PDA

View Full Version : Truck Leveling ?

Jetaholic
09-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I have a 2007 Silverado Classic, 1LT, extended cab 1500 truck. Right after I bought it I had the Air Lift Smart Air onboard leveling system installed on the truck. Because of this, the factory rake now serves no purpose other than to make the truck look like shit because it's higher in the back.
I'm looking through some leveling kits, and all of them seem to be a front leveling kit that raises the front of the truck. I would much rather drop the back 2"...do they make a kit for this?
Also is there anyone out there who knows about Silverado Classic rear suspensions that knows how you would accomplish this?

Jordy
09-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Would something like a drop shackle work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&category=33586&sspagename=STORE%3APROMOBOX%3ANEWLIST&viewitem=&item=220154182446

sigepmock
09-27-2007, 05:00 PM
They make drop shackles for the rear that work great. A lot of the 3500 guys are using them when they add air bags too. You can also increase the front height either with the T-bars or a coil spacer.
Chris

brianthomas
09-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Just this week I had the Truxxx kit put in the front of my '07 Tahoe to level it out. Really looks much better and does not cause rough riding like the old torsion bars cranked.

Jordy
09-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Just this week I had the Truxxx kit put in the front of my '07 Tahoe to level it out. Really looks much better and does not cause rough riding like the old torsion bars cranked.
How exactly do you think it levels the truck out??? It cranks the torsion bars. Reindexed keys do the exact same thing as cranking up the stock keys. ;)
As far as leveling this truck out, has anyone suggested replacing the stock spring hangers with some with a built in 2" drop??? :idea:

fourspeednup
09-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Belltech drop shackles. My 04 crew cab is dropped 2" in back and it sits level front-back. Since you already have a load leveling system you are good. My truck sags a couple inches when loaded/towing so I'm going that route shortly:)

YeLLowBoaT
09-28-2007, 05:36 PM
How exactly do you think it levels the truck out??? It cranks the torsion bars. Reindexed keys do the exact same thing as cranking up the stock keys. ;)
As far as leveling this truck out, has anyone suggested replacing the stock spring hangers with some with a built in 2" drop??? :idea:
No, that would be a easy, cheap and logical fix... this is ***boat. If its not way over priced, blinged out to the max and makes it look like it is going faster it has no place on the truck. :D

Jetaholic
09-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Now since I don't know much about truck suspension, the "shackles" are basically the rear spring hangers correct?

Jordy
09-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Now since I don't know much about truck suspension, the "shackles" are basically the rear spring hangers correct?
Exactly. Has anyone suggested them for your application? I think it might be exactly what you're looking for. ;)

FryJet
09-29-2007, 11:28 AM
I put lowering shackles on my pops F-150 and it brought it down but still not level. Im going to put a spring hanger kit on too which should do the trick.
F.J.

brianthomas
09-30-2007, 05:06 PM
The GM trucks do not use torsion bars and keys, they use a coil spring over the shock, looks like the old Mcpherson strut type of suspension.
The old GM trucks did use a torsion bar suspension though. Good thought.

Jordy
09-30-2007, 06:57 PM
The GM trucks do not use torsion bars and keys, they use a coil spring over the shock, looks like the old Mcpherson strut type of suspension.
The old GM trucks did use a torsion bar suspension though. Good thought.
Really??? Perhaps on the little 1/2 tons. The 2500HD's be it 2 or 4 wheel drive all use torsions, new or old. ;)

brianthomas
10-01-2007, 05:25 AM
Really??? Perhaps on the little 1/2 tons. The 2500HD's be it 2 or 4 wheel drive all use torsions, new or old. ;)
Don't know much about the 2500 series anymore. They don't seem like good daily drivers for me. The Tahoe works out very well. My boat is way to big for a 2500 to tow.

Bobbo541
10-04-2007, 08:06 AM
I used DJM suspension parts when i drop my 04 gmc 1500 ext cab, i went with the 2 & 4 drop but you can get just the rear shackle that will lower it 2inches if you want.I also put a set of air bags on it and i use it for work every day.

78Hondo Cruiser
10-11-2007, 08:44 PM
If your truck is a new body style 900 series half ton you can pick up the ready lift front spacer kit. This will bring the font up 2.5" and doesnt affect the ride since it sits on top of the factory strut. Throw some slightly larger tires on it call it done.

andy01
10-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Would something like a drop shackle work?
Best and easiest advice in this thread. I did it to the three trucks I had before this one. It just drops the back level, ride is the same, towing is the same and there is no real "weak" point to doing it. This is the only way I would go. It will take you about 1 hour or less to instal them yourself. You'll need a jack, jack stand and two wrenchs.
Andy

Cheyenne580
10-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Best and easiest advice in this thread. I did it to the three trucks I had before this one. It just drops the back level, ride is the same, towing is the same and there is no real "weak" point to doing it. This is the only way I would go. It will take you about 1 hour or less to instal them yourself. You'll need a jack, jack stand and two wrenchs.
Andy
I agree with Andy this is the way to go on leveling out the truck.On my 05 GMC 2500HD 2WD i had to drop my factory hitch so i could get the lower shackle bolt out.The factory hitch has a welded support plate in the way.Still it's the easiest way to level it out.LATER!!!!
JIM