PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Elsinore today...

09-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Anyone know what happened?
I went to stretch the legs of the Howard today and saw an HTM 24 towed to the dock by the ranger and then 3 individuals transported by ambulance from the lake.:confused:
As I backed away from the launch ramp, a fire engine showed up on the ramp. While going around the lake I saw (from a distance) the HTM being towed. When I got back to the ramp, there were now 2 ambulances in addition to the fire engine. One abulance was leaving with lights on and I watched them load 2 people in the other .
I hope everyone is OK.:(
----Rob

riverroyal
09-27-2007, 05:55 PM
I know nothing about that boat,but they sure seem to have a high accident rate.Hope everyone was ok

09-27-2007, 05:57 PM
BTW - there was not any obvious damage to the boat from the front, port, or rear.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Nothing yet in the local rag,, but they update it often:
http://www.pe.com/?nTar=OPUR&IQ_ID=111762

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 06:11 PM
OH NO, HERE WE GO.
Let the HTM bashing begin:confused: :confused:
It could'nt possibly be driver error now could it?

Froggystyle
09-27-2007, 06:15 PM
OH NO, HERE WE GO.
I don't think it is a matter of bashing. Odds are great that many of these HTM crashes are driver error... but they give you significantly less room for error than many other fast hulls do.
I have been not particularly fast in one, and will never ride in one again. Spooky.

09-27-2007, 06:15 PM
No bashing here, just ID'd the boat involved. I just can't figure out how everyone got hurt enough to need to be transported by ambulance, but the boat looked OK.:idea:

09-27-2007, 06:19 PM
OH NO, HERE WE GO.
curious how your HTM handles at high speeds

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I knew this was coming after my post. First let me say that I'm not trying to make enemies here but one of my pet peeves (if thats how you spell it) is derogetory statements made based on opinion not fact. With that being said, yes I do own an HTM. No it wasn't my first choice but at the time steve gave me a smoking deal that no one could match. It's been to catalina island twice and lets just say that its home has been up and down the colorado river since I bought it in 99. It has never had less than 600 hp and I currently can run 100 (uncorked) til the cows come home. Do I or have I ever felt unsafe in my boat? No. I'm not saying HTM is the BADDEST boat on the water.
It's not. But to comment like they have a bad reputation based on what you read on the INTERNET or going for a ride with somewon who may or may not know how to drive a boat is just silly! I've been in boats that were PRAISED by bob teague during performance trials with drivers that made me want to jump out while we were underway! My point is that every hull has its own learning curve and to blame the boat for operator error is just not fair.
End of rant:) :)
Thanks for reading:) :)

Froggystyle
09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Do I or have I ever felt unsafe in my boat? No. I'm not saying HTM is the BADDEST boat on the water.
It's not. But to comment like they have a bad reputation based on what you read on the INTERNET or going for a ride with somewon who may or may not know how to drive a boat is just silly! I've been in boats that were PRAISED by bob teague during performance trials with drivers that made me want to jump out while we were underway! End of rant:) :)
Not stirring the pot here, but I find it difficult to imagine that you feel that the HTM hull has a similar confidence inspiring level of stability as literally any other tunnel hull on the market.
Are you suggesting that you feel safer in your HTM at 100 than you would in say a 28 Daytona at the same speed? Or an AO? Or a... the list goes on and on...
I am not bashing, they were the fastest drag tunnels in that 24' class by a lot, and they are quick straight line boats, but if you honestly are trying to tell us that they are as stable and safe as essentially any other hull out there, I think you might be a little proud of what you have.
You need to be a lot more careful in an HTM than any other boat I have ever driven.
My point is that every hull has its own learning curve and to blame the boat for operator error is just not fair.
Agreed... to a point. An usafe hull will inspire operator error. Additionally, what would be considered perfectly safe in other hulls willl induce an immediate barrel roll in an HTM from what I understand. "Don't turn it at all without tucking the drive..." was what was instructed to me the first time I climbed behind the wheel of one by the owner.
The surest way to talk around flighty handling is to call it a "drivers boat". I have more respect for a hull that is safe enough to give you some boundaries and let you know when you are near them.

riverroyal
09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
I almost bought a HTM,didnt want to wait the 3 months to get it.Their deckboat was number 1 on my list,love the layout.

Froggystyle
09-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Any boat is as safe as the person operating it, the boat won't crash itself.:idea:
True, but some are easier to crash...

Nord
09-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I knew this was coming after my post. First let me say that I'm not trying to make enemies here but one of my pet peeves (if thats how you spell it) is derogetory statements made based on opinion not fact. With that being said, yes I do own an HTM. No it wasn't my first choice but at the time steve gave me a smoking deal that no one could match. It's been to catalina island twice and lets just say that its home has been up and down the colorado river since I bought it in 99. It has never had less than 600 hp and I currently can run 100 (uncorked) til the cows come home. Do I or have I ever felt unsafe in my boat? No. I'm not saying HTM is the BADDEST boat on the water.
It's not. But to comment like they have a bad reputation based on what you read on the INTERNET or going for a ride with somewon who may or may not know how to drive a boat is just silly! I've been in boats that were PRAISED by bob teague during performance trials with drivers that made me want to jump out while we were underway! My point is that every hull has its own learning curve and to blame the boat for operator error is just not fair.
End of rant:) :)
I love how people who own HTM's are the ones who get so defensive. I don't see one out of line comment posted before this one. As Eazykiller would say............Easy Killa!!

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 07:21 PM
I can't say I like you putting words in my mouth.
Stable as a 28 daytona (which was my preferred boat at the time of purchase)
Apples and oranges!
Am I proud of my boat? No.
It is what it is. I'm just saying I HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH IT.
Thats all.
But I am curious, where do you get your info about htm's from?

riverroyal
09-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Apples and oranges!
Thats all.
alot of people would love to have that boat

Nord
09-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Apples and oranges!
Thats all.
Wes knows the biz...........a little;) :)

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I love how people who own HTM's are the ones who get so defensive. I don't see one out of line comment posted before this one. As Eazykiller would say............Easy Killa!!
All I can say is you can only whip a dog so many times before it bites back.
And I don't feel my comments are not justified based on what I read.

CBadDad
09-27-2007, 07:25 PM
True, but some are easier to crash...
I can crash anything...
...the trick is not to!

Nord
09-27-2007, 07:26 PM
You were the one who started the whipping.....quote the post before yours that was a bash:confused: I must be reading a different thread........:notam:

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 07:34 PM
You were the one who started the whipping.....quote the post before yours that was a bash:confused: I must be reading a different thread........:notam:
Let me try this one more time.
My boat was not my first choice.
It was similar to what I wanted at a price I could afford!
With that said, from my perspective, being a htm owner it gets old hearing all the bad talk about htm's when I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MINE!
Sorry, I guess I should'nt worry about what other people think and be happy with what I have.

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Nice use of a double negative. ;)
Sorry it's my friday and the wine must be gettin to me:D

riverroyal
09-27-2007, 07:37 PM
With that said, from my perspective, being a htm owner it gets old hearing all the bad talk about htm's when I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MINE!
Sorry, I guess I should'nt worry about what other people think and be happy with what I have.
I think the biggest issue with HTMs is the huge amount of horsepower in some of them.I personnally like the looks of them.

Nord
09-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Its cool...............but:devil:
What does that have to do with being so defensive? Like I stated before, everything was fine in the beginning of the thread. Then............read the 5th post. I guess I would understand your guard going up if the case was different I.E. if post number 4 said "Those HTM's are a death trap and always fall apart at high speeds".
Then, WTMFA would reply::lightsabe Death to all HTM haters:devil: :devil: :D

Nord
09-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Sorry it's my friday and the wine must be gettin to me:D
I just read this after my last post.........and now, I completely understand:)

vee-driven
09-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Man.....I hope noone says FORD sucks. hahah

riverroyal
09-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Man.....I hope noone says FORD sucks. hahah
you have a problem with my 2nd diesel since my 1st was lemon,now this one has issues at 7000 miles,,,,,this is a fight,,,:D

Nord
09-27-2007, 07:47 PM
:D :D :D :D
http://www.fordmuscle.com/blog/FMBlogImages/noford_lg.jpg

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Its cool...............but:devil:
What does that have to do with being so defensive? Like I stated before, everything was fine in the beginning of the thread. Then............read the 5th post. I guess I would understand your guard going up if the case was different I.E. if post number 4 said "Those HTM's are a death trap and always fall apart at high speeds".
Then, WTMFA would reply::lightsabe Death to all HTM haters:devil: :devil: :D
Your right.
I guess I read the 2nd post about them having a high accident rate and got a little defensive (sorry riverroyal)
Like I said, not trying to make enemies here.
It's probably the wine talking anyways;)
P.S. I'm usually not this uptight!

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 07:51 PM
On the bright side of things.
Look at my post count go up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Riomouse911
09-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Based on the lack of damage to the boat, and the lack of rescue stories about a crash on Smell-some-more, I'd fathom a guess that either the people got sick eating/drinking/smoking something, or they might have been overcome because of an exhaust leak or other malfunction...which can happen to any boat or operator...

Nord
09-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Your right.
I guess I read the 2nd post about them having a high accident rate and got a little defensive (sorry riverroyal)
Well, this reply pretty much was the right retort here. However it did take all of the fun out of this thread:notam:
So much for 10 pages:D :D

riverroyal
09-27-2007, 07:54 PM

riverroyal
09-27-2007, 07:55 PM
post whoreeeee

Nord
09-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Post counts mean nothing;) :D

riverroyal
09-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Your right.
im not mad,I do hope the boaters today are ok

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Well, this reply pretty much was the right retort here. However it did take all of the fun out of this thread:notam:
So much for 10 pages:D :D
Well at least my drama cherry has been popped!!!!!!!!!
Time for a smoke:p

Nord
09-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Well at least my drama cherry has been popped!!!!!!!!!
Time for a smoke:p
That my friend.............was not drama. Piss Topless off. You'll find what your not looking for there:devil:

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 08:00 PM
im not mad,I do hope the boaters today are ok
Me too.
Cause in the end thats all that matters!

No Name
09-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Try owning a Kachina. I had one for a year and then signed up on HB. I took such a beating the first few months I sold it and will never buy another one. :D :D
I think I’m still focked up over it.:D :D

CBadDad
09-27-2007, 08:11 PM
No Shit No Name.
I have a Commander and take a beating on here all of the time. But it gets me up and down the river and I've partied in the channel and at the sandbar, so who really gives a shit.
Having said that, my next boat will be something that all of the Ballers here on ***boat approve of. :rolleyes:

riverroyal
09-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Try owning a Kachina. I had one for a year and then signed up on HB. I took such a beating the first few months I sold it and will never buy another one. :D :D
now heres a new topic....

WTMFA
How bout them WATER RODS!!!!!!!!!!!!
They spend millions each year trying to cover up all the fatallities in those boats!
I heard they won't even offer them with more than a small block!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Nord
No Shit No Name.
I have a Commander and take a beating on here all of the time. But it gets me up and down the river and I've partied in the channel and at the sandbar, so who really gives a shit.
Having said that, my next boat will be something that all of the Ballers here on ***boat approve of. :rolleyes:
I suggest Bayliner. The real man's boat :)

WTMFA
09-27-2007, 09:00 PM
:idea: the interesting thing is if the accident had not happened you would not see the intense microscopic views of HTM's, up until that time everyone was fine with them..................
p.s. my sister & her husband have had 2 24's with big power and 1 30' with no problems.
Your BIL is Don l.
I used to live on the other side of the fwy from them in castaic.
Now I live in Havi and take care of his pool.:D

09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Wow, such drama. Need I remind you that all 3 people went to the hospital? I do not believe there was an "accident" or that people were thrown. The 3 "victims" were in the boat. I just was hoping someone could shed some light on what happened. I could be wrong but a few of you are getting a little testy. We all spent several $$$ on our rides, no need to bash. Descisions were made based upon individual situations and desires and the common thread is that we all love boating. Keep the Ford vs. Chevy war going but leave boating alone!
Now come on, I know several of you live by the lake, what happened?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-28-2007, 05:16 AM
The local fishwrap emailed me that they'll send along another e mail as information on this incident becomes avail.
Another local news link:
http://www.nctimes.com/news/californian/lake_elsinore/
Still nothing yet.

Lightning
09-28-2007, 05:48 AM
I can crash anything...
...the trick is not to!
[ insert Kilrtoy controlled spinout comment here ]

AZJD
09-28-2007, 05:56 AM
No boat expert here, but every time I watch an HTM run at speed, it looks as if it is running on the ragged edge. The boat runs really loose, hence the speed it is able to run. Just doesn't look like fun to me.

WTMFA
09-28-2007, 06:05 AM
Three pages down, seven to go!;)

franky
09-28-2007, 06:06 AM
Yes, used to live in Castaic many moons ago off Ferguson Drive, the old part of Castaic.
Did you know Doug Palmer? He (they) used to live in the old part for years and recently moved to a new develpoment there. He was just killed in a motorcycle accident on his way to Sturgis with his brother.

Unitek
10-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Sucks to hear about this HTM accident. I dont mind the haters (as an HTM owner) cuz 95% are getting left behind in the straight line. I love my SS-24.

McIntyrelocal
10-04-2007, 05:40 PM
I think the biggest issue with HTMs is the huge amount of horsepower in some of them.I personnally like the looks of them.
good point i also think people should have to take a test before they hop in something with 1500 hp. htm s work very well but any boat over 100 is unpredictable. i know a few people who are big in the boating industry that could afford anything they wanted and have htm's they are a very good boat in my opinion. i worked on many performance boats for a few years and daytonas warlocks carreras ultras ive heard of close calls with all of them. i know for a fact that the day before the htm that crashed at castaic that killed the owner went 144 mph as stable as can be some times sh$t happens.or maybe sertain people dont belong going that fast.

BDMar
10-04-2007, 06:17 PM
htm s work very well but any boat over 100 is unpredictable.
I have to chime in here. Any boat that is unpredictable at any speed should not be driven at that speed. I have driven many boats well over 100 and if they weren't predictable it never happend with me driving again, or we corrected the problem. One of the main things you do setting up a boat is making it predictable at the speeds it is capable of. Part failure is not preditable, but the way a boat handles and responds should be.

TCHB
10-04-2007, 06:32 PM
The problem with all boats is that conditions vary quickly.
Can you imagine a new sports car traveling at 130 MPH and hit a bump road, than glass smooth road and them hit the hoops all in the lengh of a couple football fields. At 100 MPH things happen fast.
As for HP try and put 800 HP in new Corvette and see how dangerous it can get with your foot on the fuel.
I

McIntyrelocal
10-04-2007, 11:03 PM
I have to chime in here. Any boat that is unpredictable at any speed should not be driven at that speed. I have driven many boats well over 100 and if they weren't predictable it never happend with me driving again, or we corrected the problem. One of the main things you do setting up a boat is making it predictable at the speeds it is capable of. Part failure is not preditable, but the way a boat handles and responds should be.
im sorry let me corcect myself,you cant control conditions that makes any boat un predictable over 100 rollers part failure you name it objects in the water cross winds it only takes something minor to change the situation especially if your trying new hardware but like i said just an opinion.