PDA

View Full Version : still to slow

killer beazz
08-19-2002, 07:33 AM
well ive tried everything i can thank of ive re bilt carbs checked compresion installed electric fuel pump changed props installed 8 in jack plate and still the damed thang wilnot run over 40 mph on gps ive taken it to my macanick he said it wase running great and that i shohld be running 80 mph but iam not by the way this moter is a 77 150 merc in line 6 cilinder before i purchised it it wase used in florida could it be my jets to big or to small fore my area i live in Indiana any help is greatly apprecieated .

snappertapper
08-19-2002, 12:38 PM
Honestly i dont know what else your problem could be, but may i suggest selling that boat for all its worth and buying a hydrostream or something of that nature. they are all over down here for cheap!

killer beazz
08-20-2002, 06:08 AM
i do not want to sell my boat ive put a lot of time and love in it its a classic 67 carlson challinger 16 ft tunel and win its runing good its a blast

snappertapper
08-20-2002, 04:59 PM
i 100% understand it was just a suggestion

FASTPACE
08-23-2002, 01:25 PM
KILLER: IF YOUR WATER PRESSURE IS MORE THAN 15PSI THEN START RAISING YOUR MOTOR UNTIL IT IS 12-14 PSI. SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE PLOWING THE WATER, NOT GETTING ANY LIFT, SHOULD HAVE A 23 OR 24 , 3 BLADE PROP. HOW IS THE HOLE SHOT? WHERE IS THE TIMING SET. SHOULD BE ABOUT 19 BTDC. DOES IT IDLE SMOOTH WITH THE FLUSHER ON IT. IF NOT, MAY HAVE A REED VLV. PROBLEM. BE SURE THAT IF YOU SET THE TIMING, CHECK THAT THE #1 CLY IS AT TOP DEAD CENTER AND THE TIMING MARK IS AT ZERO.
YOU MAY WANT TO HAVE IT DYNO TUNED. SHOULD MAKE ABOUT 2800 FT LBS.

killer beazz
08-28-2002, 10:12 AM
dino is my next step i am just wating on the shop to git me in about to weaks wait i cant stand it to weaks seams like an eternity

FASTPACE
08-28-2002, 10:50 AM
let us know. this may be another lesson to remember.

Jungle Boy
08-28-2002, 11:00 AM
killer beazz:
well ive tried everything i can thank of ive re bilt carbs checked compresion installed electric fuel pump changed props installed 8 in jack plate and still the damed thang wilnot run over 40 mph on gps ive taken it to my macanick he said it wase running great and that i shohld be running 80 mph but iam not by the way this moter is a 77 150 merc in line 6 cilinder before i purchised it it wase used in florida could it be my jets to big or to small fore my area i live in Indiana any help is greatly apprecieated .[/b]
hokt on fonix werkt fer me... J/K
What does the bottom of the boat look like? Is it lifting or running real wet. You may have a very bad hook in it. Something must be wrong with the hull if the engine is working correctly.

killer beazz
08-29-2002, 02:36 PM
sory never have bean much of a speller . no hook that iam a wear of the boat seamed to ride good with the previous moter.

bulldogdad
09-02-2002, 01:01 PM
just a thought,have you talked to anyone at glastron/carlson to see what this boat used to do in its prime,maybe someone there might be able to help you. I think jungle boy might be right if they say motor is fine, what's the hull weight now compared to what it was originally,has any other work been done on floor or transom, extra weight. good luck and keep on trying,gotta love a guy who spend's time on a restoration! :D

snappertapper
09-02-2002, 03:38 PM
killer if you cant get straitened out you may want to try cutting a pocket in the bottom this usually increases speed

killer beazz
09-03-2002, 09:23 AM
hay snappertrapper i do not understand can you elaberate on this pockit thanks

killer beazz
09-12-2002, 07:03 AM
thanks for the advice i did git a hold of the original data for this boat it only ran 41mph with merc100 so i guess i just nead a bigger moter so if any one knows wear to git a good 150 short shaft moter let me know a few years older would be fine maby a 90s model

HavasuDreamin'
09-12-2002, 07:36 AM
An in-line 6 Merc should push that boat at least 55-60 mph. When I was a kid, we had a 19' Kona Semi Vee with an in line 6 150hp. The Boat topped out a around 55mph and it was not a tunnel. I think you may still have issues. Are you running a nose cone with low water pick-up and stainless prop?

Kim Hanson
09-12-2002, 07:49 AM
My little 115 on this would only push it to 47mph,with only me in it.I sold my wife's boat for that reason,too slow..... http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/***boat.JPG

Kim Hanson
09-12-2002, 07:56 AM
I would go for the stream,I had this before the Banshee.I have found that once you have went fast you can't go back to slow,well maybe when you hit 80 or so.....( . )( . )....... :D :D :confused: http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/hst2.JPG

killer beazz
09-12-2002, 05:12 PM
I LIKE YOUR SETUP I WOULD LIKE TO RUN SOMTHING LIKE THAT.