PDA

View Full Version : Rock Slab Hits Lake Powell Boat

Outnumbered
10-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Rock Slab Hits Lake Powell Boat; 1 dead, 1 missing
Monday , October 01, 2007
PAGE, Ariz. —
One person's dead and a second's missing after a gigantic rock slab apparently broke off a sandstone arch at Lake Powell and smashed onto a boat.
The National Park Service said the slab, approximately 250 square feet in size, fell onto the bow of the boat, capsizing it.
Other boaters discovered the accident Friday, saying they had passed the craft 20 minutes earlier in Lake Canyon and had waved to the two people on board.
Rangers recovered the body of a woman.
Divers were called to the site, where water depths are approximately 150 feet, to find the second victim.
Names of the victims weren't immediately available.

SummerBreeze
10-01-2007, 11:47 AM
WOW,
What a thing to have happen.
Sorry for the loss of life here.

Nord
10-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Geez, talk about wrong place at the wrong time. Very sad new.:(

DeltaSigBoater
10-01-2007, 11:49 AM
:eek:
That sucks to hear that people were killed. :(

WYRD
10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Very sad indeed, we were just there recently and thinking it would be cool to see the erosion in person. reading that story makes you rethink that. At least they died doing something they enjoyed RIP

Sleek-Jet
10-01-2007, 12:08 PM
A lot of people I know boat in that area of the lake... I've got my fingers crossed it's not one of them or their family...

2Driver
10-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Another one! holly cow!
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165669 ;)

deltarat
10-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Is this the same arch that I always see the pics of?

COELIMINATOR
10-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Very sad. I know we have been anchored in "caves" at Lake Powell before, ie. Cathedral in the Desert in Escalante, and said it would really be awfull if a large portion of the ceiling gave way.
Prayers to the Families.
Sam

MBlaster
10-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Shiat thats horrible!!!
Prayers go out.

burtandnancy2
10-01-2007, 03:52 PM
A lot of us old timers can tell stories of parking up against giant cliffs, camping overnight in steep canyons, and even having lunch in caves, depending on lake elevation at the time. Never even heard of an incident before, must be due to low water, global warming or the democrats...

Sleek-Jet
10-01-2007, 04:02 PM
A lot of us old timers can tell stories of parking up against giant cliffs, camping overnight in steep canyons, and even having lunch in caves, depending on lake elevation at the time. Never even heard of an incident before, must be due to low water, global warming or the democrats...
I vote the democrats... :D
My dad had a friend who lost a houseboat, back in the mid 80's, when one of the walls let loose in the canyon they were in... the rock didn't land on them, but it created such a wave that it swamped the boat... glub... it was gone. :jawdrop:

hkunz
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow. When we were there last month, we saw those slabs and wondered if any ever fell. I guess we know now.
I guess I look at it like this - although it is too bad about the deaths, and the sorrow of the families and friends, on the other hand, what place is more beautiful to spend your final moments in? Perhaps I'm just too bizarre and have horrible sensibilities (like my wife says), but isn't it better to go doing something you enjoy, that helps people, or in a beautiful place, than in a stinky hospital room?

Warlockjer
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
WOW, We were there last Friday. Spent a week on the toon camping. That is really sad........

lawbreaker2
10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Well, I just learnd something new, and that is, not to park next to the big rock cliff up there, I'm starting to think it is safer if I just stay here in ohio, you guys have snakes and bad spiders, and big pigs with mean looking teeth, and some other really nasty critters that bite and kill you, oh and tweekers.:eek:

lawbreaker2
10-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Oh and don't suck up the water in your nose down in havi. Thats bad and can kill you to.:rolleyes:

carreraelite
10-01-2007, 05:53 PM
You have snow....and tweekers..... :eek: :jawdrop:

10-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Several years ago, we were in Wetherill Canyon and saw a huge slab let go. It was from the upper most level of the canyon and if you look at the north side today, you'll see a large area that is much "whiter" that the surrounding rock. It had to be the size of a large building that came down. We called it a land slide but my structural engineer brother corrected me to the fact that it was a "mass wasting" (I'd call Copper Canyon circa 1989 a mass wasting):D. The sound of the canyon wall coming down was unforgetable and gave me a new appreciation for the beauty of Lake Powell.
RIP those involved...definitely wrong place at the wrong time.
---Rob