PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS?

clownpuncher
10-02-2007, 01:04 AM
I know it's been covered, but, I ain't gonna search my ass off:D , besides, I'm sure the little ****ers have improved in the past couple of years.
So, I want a handheld GPS that's the shit. Durability, functional, water resistance etc. Don't want the cheap stuff.
Anyone have any opinions on the goodstuff? Christmas is coming soon:D

copterzach
10-02-2007, 02:36 AM
I use the Garmin E Trek Vista. It is small, cheap, and very easy to use. I use to navigate all over while flying.

RitcheyRch
10-02-2007, 04:41 AM
I think I have the Garmin Vista as well. Relatively small and pretty easy to use.

Buddy
10-02-2007, 05:10 AM
Ive always used Garmin. I just got my latest, A Garmin 478. Its a handheld with color plotting for marine navigation and road maps for the car.

Racey
10-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Garmin Garmin Garmin!
Magellan units suck IMO. anything other than Garmin will disapoint you.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Garmin has taken the market by storm.
Target, Best Buy and online.
Have seen them occasionally at COSTCO.
They are amazing.
Wife loves hers.
It even knew what goofy little side streets to avoid in Charlston SC & DC.
Where any restaurant was, ect ect.

hkunz
10-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Garmin.
I put a 430s chartplotter/sounder in the Advantage, works great, splits screen for sonar and navigation. Also has eagle eye and mariner's eye view of navaids, so you can see what the area you are in should look like to you from your position, AND a fish eye view so you can see the botom contour. the bottom contours only work at full pool, so Powell, for example, was off by 90 feet. Color screen, downloadable updates available from Garmin.com
278C chartplotter/sounder in the Cheetah, also works great, older technology, but still very good three years later. Downloadable updates from Garmin.com
268 navigation unit, loads topo and other maps for off-road navigation, monochrome, been using it in the Jeep for years.
NUVI 660, street navigation, simply awesome device. Even the non-techie wife loves it.
I've also had a Street Pilot 3 and Street Pilot 5, and a 3+. All very good, but some technical obsolescense over the years, mostly because Garmin keeps improving thier products so much.
Go to Garmin.com and enter what you want to do, the system guides you to the correct product (aviation, marine navigation, street, hiking, off road, etc.) then check out eBay and Costco.com for prices.

Dan Lorenze
10-02-2007, 08:18 AM
I would choose Garmin.. Great products and customer service. I would suggest a Mapping GPS.. The map 60's are real nice and rugged.. I've seen Amazon blow them out from time to time. I would also recommend a color screen...

DeltaSigBoater
10-02-2007, 08:43 AM
I have a Magellan SportTrack Pro... It is a POS, eats up batteries, takes 2 forevers to aquire satellites. And no one carries accessories for it!
Get a GARMIN!

Dan Lorenze
10-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Here's a great deal on a great GPS.. $284.99 from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMap-60CSx-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B000CSOXTO/ref=pd_bbs_9/103-3766694-9613436?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1191344170&sr=8-9

Baja Big Dog
10-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Go with garmin, if you plan on doing any downloading in the future garmain is the only one that allows second party downloading. Comes in handy when buying maps tht people sell...IE Mexico etc

clownpuncher
10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies. So, I'm thinking Garmin?:D

Sleeper CP
10-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies. So, I'm thinking Garmin?:D
It would seem you found your answer. The Garmin's are hard to beat. I have one that is 7-8 yrs old it still works like it is brand new.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover