PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with school fundraisers??????

fat rat
10-02-2007, 02:34 PM
When I was a kid and we had a school fundraiser, we went door to door and sold whatever we could.....Today parents bring a catalog to work or email a list out to friends asking you to buy a bunch of useless junk for their kids school while the kid sits at home playing x box.........Call me old school, but shut off the damn game and go sell your own junk..........and while youre at it, pull up your damn pants..........off rant.:devil:

DeltaSigBoater
10-02-2007, 02:56 PM
As a kid I always had a feeling that somebody in the PTA was getting a kick back off the "fund raisers" A portion of every dollar goes to the school... total BS! My parents used to question the hell out of the PTAs
9' sq of wrapping paper for $10 = RIPOFF
Crappy off brand Candy for 2x to 3x as much as the real stuff = RIPOFF
Book fairs = save some money and goto barns.
Of all the fundraisers I did in school, the best was Gourmet Cookie Dough, we bought a lot of douch but never really made cookies :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I agree. I only buy from kids who ask me. I won't buy from their parents. The main reason is that I remember when I was selling campfire candy a hundred years ago. I worked really hard going to my neighbors and family to sell 3 cases of candy while the campfire leader took her daughter's list to work and she sold 12 cases. I just never thought that was right. She didn't have to work for it.
At our school, they tell the kids not to go door to door and to have the parents take it to work, that really burns me up. I understand the safety issue, but if you know your neighbors and have an adult with you, why couldn't you go door to door?

Pepperkornski
10-02-2007, 03:02 PM
When I was a kid and we had a school fundraiser, we went door to door and sold whatever we could.....Today parents bring a catalog to work or email a list out to friends asking you to buy a bunch of useless junk for their kids school while the kid sits at home playing x box.........Call me old school, but shut off the damn game and go sell your own junk..........and while youre at it, pull up your damn pants..........off rant.:devil:
they are practicing for a job within the government, maybe cal trans employees?

Miss Perfect
10-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Oh I remember the days of selling sausage and cheese. FOCK I hated that crap.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
10-02-2007, 03:06 PM
I used to be a cheerleader for pop warner when I was younger and every year we had this jogathon to raise money and every year I had to go from neighbor to neighbor to get their pledges, then again after the jogathon to collect. There was no such thing as mom and dad taking it to work. Although, my dad would wait until the end to sponsor me and then make sure I had the most :D but I still had to work for it get all the other sponsors.
I have already bought wrapping paper and silly stuff I do not need from 4 different fundraisers. I am done.
:)

98 Vector 21
10-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Oh baby! I fell your pain...Last year for us....Thank God! :)

AirtimeLavey
10-02-2007, 03:11 PM
I agree. I only buy from kids who ask me. I won't buy from their parents. The main reason is that I remember when I was selling campfire candy a hundred years ago. I worked really hard going to my neighbors and family to sell 3 cases of candy while the campfire leader took her daughter's list to work and she sold 12 cases. I just never thought that was right. She didn't have to work for it.
At our school, they tell the kids not to go door to door and to have the parents take it to work, that really burns me up. I understand the safety issue, but if you know your neighbors and have an adult with you, why couldn't you go door to door?
Yep, just dealt with this. Some work places have rules against bringing in the fund-raising stuff to work, because everyone has a kid that needs something bought. It's a nuisance. Then the kids feel the pressure of selling a certain amount to get on the limo to Chuckie Cheese, or whatever. The fund raising should be done differently. I'd rather play in a fund raising golf tourny or just write a check than to subject my kids to this crap every year. :mad:

Sleek-Jet
10-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I used to be a cheerleader for pop warner when I was younger and every year we had this jogathon to raise money and every year I had to go from neighbor to neighbor to get their pledges, then again after the jogathon to collect. There was no such thing as mom and dad taking it to work. Although, my dad would wait until the end to sponsor me and then make sure I had the most :D but I still had to work for it get all the other sponsors.
I have already bought wrapping paper and silly stuff I do not need from 4 different fundraisers. I am done.
:)
To bad they don't sell lighters.... :D

bchbum
10-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Las week my girls ( twins ) brought home fundraisers from , school, girl scouts & the dance studio . This 6 of them for us in 1 week . Sorry most of them are not going to happen.

djunkie
10-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Oh I remember the days of selling sausage and cheese. FOCK I hated that crap.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!:D :D

2Driver
10-02-2007, 03:35 PM
1. Having kids become door knockers today is pretty risky and the schools don't want the liability.
2. My kid's brochure was full a nice stuff, actually I was surprised.
To sum it up IMO. When public schools have to turn your kid into a salesman because they have a short fall of funds for projects, field trips and the like there is something seriously wrong with our system, budget priorties and politicians.
Personally if they need an extra $50 I rather just hand them a check. The pleading teachers have to go through for basic supplies, field trip money etc is insane

Captain Dan
10-02-2007, 03:47 PM
1. Having kids become door knockers today is pretty risky and the schools don't want the liability.
2. My kid's brochure was full a nice stuff, actually I was surprised.
To sum it up IMO. When public schools have to turn your kid into a salesman because they have a short fall of funds for projects, field trips and the like there is something seriously wrong with our system, budget priorties and politicians.
Personally if they need an extra $50 I rather just hand them a check. The pleading teachers have to go through for basic supplies; field trip money etc is insane
Fund raising for public schools is just wrong - where are all the $$ from the lottery?

2Driver
10-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I had no idea school fundraising efforts include feminine hygiene products. :D
He said gourmet didn't he? :D

Quest4Fun
10-02-2007, 03:52 PM
This is funny, my son just brought home his fundraising pack today. He'll go door to door on our street selling the stuff but the problem is that there are several kids on our street from the same school selling the same stuff.
Any ***boaters want to buy frozen cookie dough, or pizza, pretzels, egg rolls, cinnamon rolls, brownies??? Gosh come to think of it, some schools are banning cupcakes cuz it makes kids fat...our school is going in the opposite direction! :eek:

2Driver
10-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Any ***boaters want to buy frozen cookie dough, or pizza, pretzels, egg rolls, cinnamon rolls, brownies??? Gosh come to think of it, some schools are banning cupcakes cuz it makes kids fat...our school is going in the opposite direction! :eek:
Ironic in a way, State statistics have over 50% of the kids in Havasu qualifying for the free or reduced lunch program. :idea: