PDA

View Full Version : California, Tumbles in to the Sea.....

Boatcop
10-03-2007, 01:17 PM
That'll be the day I go back to Annendale....
Just saw on the news that there's a big land slide/sinkhole in La Jolla.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071003-1223-bn03slide2.html

Miss Perfect
10-03-2007, 01:25 PM
There are definetly some unhappy people with mutli-million dollar homes right now. Last I heard, 20 houses had been evacuated.

HocusPocus
10-03-2007, 01:28 PM
was watching this earlier on HLN.. pretty big hole.

SummitKarl
10-03-2007, 01:30 PM
That'll be the day I go back to Annendale....
Just saw on the news that there's a big land slide/sinkhole in La Jolla.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071003-1223-bn03slide2.html
just saw that ....there goes a few million down the toilet:jawdrop: H/O ins. usally dont cover floods or landslides:rolleyes:
BTW we set for Saturday?....tell me what officer is doing it and his shirt size and I will drop off the payoff......errrrrrr, gifts at the boating center :D

Ziggy
10-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Word is that its an older section of Mnt Soledad.....which would make me believe that the residents will be slightly older folk, perhaps with less income....which would be sad since there'll be very little chance of the recovering from it.

SummitKarl
10-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Word is that its an older section of Mnt Soledad.....which would make me believe that the residents will be slightly older folk, perhaps with less income....which would be sad since there'll be very little chance of the recovering from it.
yea and they maybe paid.....$40k back in 1968;) agreed tho..tuff for older ones to start over:(

Mrs. 20
10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Wow! We are headed there this weekend. In fact La Jolla was tops on my list of beaches to see.:idea:

DMOORE
10-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Not a big deal guys. So far it only affects the street, and not any homes. They think a broken water main caused it. It's actually up on Mt. Solidad, not near the beach.
Darrell.

Ziggy
10-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Wow! We are headed there this weekend. In fact La Jolla was tops on my list of beaches to see.:idea:
No effect to the beaches below. Its inland from the beach about 1/2 mile or so, closer to I-5.
Its the hill with the memorial Cross on it that has been in litigation for decades...:rolleyes:
In our early years we'd race up the hill(nice and windy road) in our roadrace cars.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
10-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Opposite side of Soledad from the Munchkinland too. ;)

RiverDave
10-03-2007, 01:50 PM
I've lived here my whole life, and can honestly say I don't think I've ever been up to the top to see that cross.. One of these days I'll go check it out.
There any other way up to it? Or should I put the truck in 4 wheel drive? :D
RD

Ziggy
10-03-2007, 01:52 PM
I've lived here my whole life, and can honestly say I don't think I've ever been up to the top to see that cross.. One of these days I'll go check it out.
RD
From what I could tell the south side of the hill is closed but the road leading up from the north is fine.

RiverToysJas
10-03-2007, 02:01 PM
I hope the nudie beach is not affected!!!! :eek: ....might have to go check it out for myself...... :idea:
RTJas :D

PunkAssBitch
10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
wow....I'm so glad they're all okay, but man, they lost EVERYTHING...and they worked from home, and they have 4 kids, 3 still live at home. Hardly old money folks...they've lived there for maybe about 9-10 years or so now.
Crazy..glad they called...their home phone is "out of service"...gee...ya think? :sqeyes:

Mandelon
10-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I've worked in that area, and know it pretty well. Last they announced on the news is that over 100 homes are affected....8 a pretty well damaged and the rest in danger if it lets go.
the house I worked on down on Desert View was just scary. You can look up the valley from the 5 fwy and see them. Cracks that we patched at the beginning of the job had opened up again within two weeks......
The soil on Mt Soledad has lots of clay layers and is slippery for sure. There's been issues up there for years.
I heard one homeowner on the radio talking about suing the city......If the City won't let them build on the hillside lots, they get sued, and if the City does let them build on the hill they get sued.....cuz they shouldn't have them build...??? :confused:
In La Jolla terms, this is the lower dollar end of town, but still well over a million bucks for many of them. No ocean views, but they are in 92037. I can't imagine losing my home, not having insurance, and having to walk away. It will be many months if not years before the hill is made stable.....There's gonna be more foreclosures up there now... :idea:

PunkAssBitch
10-03-2007, 07:22 PM
There's gonna be more foreclosures up there now... :idea:
:idea: :D
<-----is kinda scared ;)

H2O
10-04-2007, 07:35 AM
I heard some of the homes around the sinkhole have gained more yardage than the Charger's offense this year...

hkunz
10-04-2007, 08:29 AM
RD
There's a regular road. I took dates up there in a previous life.:D