PDA

View Full Version : CNC Machining

sangervdrive
10-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey, I'm giving a speech about the benefits of CNC machining in my class and I need some reliable stats regarding the efficiency and productivity of CNC's compared to their conventional counter parts.
If anyone has a link they could share it would be quite helpful, I've been searching but can't find much. Thanks

Havasu1986
10-03-2007, 05:13 PM
CNC people are programmers while conventional people are machinists. ;)

Biglue
10-03-2007, 05:26 PM
I am not!!!!! :D
I once worked with an old German tool maker. He had a whole lifetime of experience. My idea of a machinist is that old man. We're a bunch of young punks in comaparison to him. LOL

RiverDave
10-03-2007, 09:22 PM
I am not!!!!! :D
I once worked with an old German tool maker. He had a whole lifetime of experience. My idea of a machinist is that old man. We're a bunch of young punks in comaparison to him. LOL
Your in the machining industry Lue?
RD

Tom Brown
10-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Your in the machining industry Lue?
Lue is big into machine work. Didn't you know that?

OKIE-JET
10-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Got that right!:D

SummitKarl
10-03-2007, 10:54 PM
so what if you made chips by hand and then someone strapped a DRO to your machine..then they came back and put a punch tape reader on it:mad: and then ripped it all apart and hooked a PC up to it:D
do you loose your machinist status:confused: :D

BILLET
10-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey, I'm giving a speech about the benefits of CNC machining in my class and I need some reliable stats regarding the efficiency and productivity of CNC's compared to their conventional counter parts.
If anyone has a link they could share it would be quite helpful, I've been searching but can't find much. Thanks
I think you are goin to be hard pressed to find some side by side performance stats. CNCs have been around for a long time and there is no reason for anyone to do any kind of study like that. Your best bet is going to be to try and talk to some shops and get your info that way.

superdave013
10-04-2007, 03:26 AM
I have a shop full of both styles of machines. Still use the handle ones every day for something.
And yes, there is just a tad more to cnc then program, push button and out comes a part. With that said, this part takes 2min 23 seconds to drop off complete on the cnc. I think I can shave a little more time off that on the next batch. That would take well over an hour to make by hand and would require using two different machines.
Oh, and the cnc just keep on dropping them off when I'm at lunch or posting on ***boat.
;)
http://www.sweetperformance.com/product/images/uploads/-6_holley.jpg
I agree with biglue, those old timers know so much. And it is quickly becoming a lost art if you ask me. How many young guys can stand at a machine and figure out the trig with out their mastercam program?? Not many I'll tell ya. Most young guys walk up to my chucker lathe and have know idea how to set it up. (Sad if you ask me)
Poke around on this site and ask that question.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cg...ultimatebb.cgi
But don't give up on old equipment. A cnc lathe would have to run 6 times as fast just to keep up with a 6 spindle screw machine that was made in the late '40s. Yeah, try and find a young guy that knows how to set one of those up. lol

KahunaJuice
10-04-2007, 03:51 AM
so what if you made chips by hand and then someone strapped a DRO to your machine..then they came back and put a punch tape reader on it:mad: and then ripped it all apart and hooked a PC up to it:D
do you loose your machinist status:confused: :D
No, you just improve the quality..................