PDA

View Full Version : De-prioritized at my kidÂ’s school because I speak English?

2Driver
10-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Get this.
It’s parent teacher conference time at my kid's school. Basically, you request a time slot and the teacher gets back to you on a date and time. Yesterday I was told scheduling was on hold as a non-English speaking family had priority as the school needs to first schedule a translator to do their conference.
If they don’t speaky-de-English let them bring a translator! Tax payers are footing that bill I guess. :mad:

EmpirE231
10-04-2007, 08:30 AM
wow... I have no kids and all... but I would be pissed! that would be the one that pushed me over the top! "de-prioritized"

Jyruiz
10-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Thats bullshit and totally agree, if you don't speak the language, then it should be your responsibility to bring in a translater.

OGShocker
10-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Thats bullshit and totally agree, if you don't speak the language, then it should be your responsibility to bring in a translater.
TRAITOR!!! :D
This stuff NEVER ceases to amaze me.
My GGP's came over from Sweden. They either learned and used the English language or went hungry.

Jbb
10-04-2007, 08:45 AM
If they dont speak the language....put them on a garbage truck back to the land the came from...where they will be ....understood

Redwing247
10-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Are you volunteering ?? :D

Jyruiz
10-04-2007, 08:53 AM
TRAITOR!!! :D
This stuff NEVER ceases to amaze me.
My GGP's came over from Sweden. They either learned and used the English language or went hungry.
We came from another country as well and our mother had to work 3 jobs sometimes just to support her 3 kids and her younger sister, and she found time to learn the language. So it makes me sick to think that I have to pay for somebodies translator, get some books, tapes or what ever, but learn the focking language.

Jyruiz
10-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Are you volunteering ?? :D
Fock that, learn the language, it would be better for that person and everybody else.

OutCole'd
10-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Yep, totally agree.

phebus
10-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Pardon, no habla. :confused:

cdog
10-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Call Sherrif Joe for a stake out. Seriously. Draw attention to this. People are at a boiling point. What school and district is this?

Wet Dream
10-04-2007, 09:08 AM
I love white suburbia. :D It might not be the "anything you want to do is right around the corner" mecca that is California. However, we don't have crime, we don't have illegals, we don't have language problems that you see with diversified communities. There are drawbacks though, we don't get the great food that goes along with the different cultures.

Kachina26
10-04-2007, 09:10 AM
I love white suburbia. :D It might not be the "anything you want to do is right around the corner" mecca that is California. However, we don't have crime, we don't have illegals, we don't have language problems that you see with diversified communities. There are drawbacks though, we don't get the great food that goes along with the different cultures.
What about them whoopie pies?

2Driver
10-04-2007, 09:11 AM
I don't mind so much that they don’t speak English as they could have just moved here and are maybe learning it. However, if I were in there shoes I would just assume I needed to take care of the issue myself and bring a friend that could translate for me.
The U.S. has become so damn PC correct that the presses stop to accommodate the slightest thing like this.
There is a special bus, called the English emersion program bus, just for Spanish speaking students. It drops kids off in redundancy of the other busses routes but its for Spanish speaking students. If it is an "English emersion" program why would they have a special Spanish bus? I'm confused.

Redwing247
10-04-2007, 09:12 AM
:eek: :confused: Check Philadelphia...

Wet Dream
10-04-2007, 09:14 AM
What about them whoopie pies?
What the hell is that? :confused:

Wet Dream
10-04-2007, 09:16 AM
There are 2 parts to Pennsylvania...
You have Philadelphia, and then you have Pennsylvania. Philly is really just a suburb of New York City. ;)

2Driver
10-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Check any white trash neighborhood for that matter. PA has it's share, as a matter of fact mother nature may have double up there. :D

Wet Dream
10-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Check any white trash neighborhood for that matter. PA has it's share, as a matter of fact mother nature may have double up there. :D
Oh dude, don't get me wrong, we have white trash. We have our rednecks, potheads, welfare folks, but they're all white. Meth isn't much of an issue here. Its mainly pot.

Taylor923
10-04-2007, 10:04 AM
THIS IS AMERICA, we speak english. If you don't, learn or go back from where you came. I am sick and tired of all this crap.

Kachina26
10-04-2007, 10:22 AM
What the hell is that? :confused:
Amish dessert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoopie_pies) good stuff, my wife has relatives up north.

atomickitn
10-04-2007, 10:31 AM
We came from another country as well and our mother had to work 3 jobs sometimes just to support her 3 kids and her younger sister, and she found time to learn the language. So it makes me sick to think that I have to pay for somebodies translator, get some books, tapes or what ever, but learn the focking language.
damm jy , its cool to hear from the folks that lash out at there like groups to learn the language....or go home, I guess your not really ( Mexican or ? ) you are "AMERICAN" and you and your family have learned the language, and should be proud to be AMERICANS...... not all think the same ....THANKS:)

atomickitn
10-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Its funny bit as one said hear ....we americans are at the boiling point......and it is more eveident with me, as most of you know that my wife windy is in kuwait helping another country get its freedoms and serving ours, but as I go about my day to day stuff, and hear people speaking a different language, it really bothers me to no end and I tell them to speak english....

Sleek-Jet
10-04-2007, 10:59 AM
The simple sollution would be to say you need an interprator as well... :D

lalhc
My wifes a teacher her in Lake Arrowhead and she doesn't have translators. The only families that have priority are the one's w/multiple kids in different age groups. The school provides those families w/a schedule so they can see each teacher one after the other. My wife has a couple Spanish speaking kids in her class and encourages the parents to learn English and speak English to their kids.

SB
Your points are well taken.
However, it makes sense to have all the spanish speakers come in at once when the translator is there.
It's the same thing in court, the spanish speakers go all at once while the translator is there, then the translator moves to next court.
At least the spanish speakers aren't complaining that they can't go whenever they want. YET.

Jyruiz
10-04-2007, 11:01 AM
damm jy , its cool to hear from the folks that lash out at there like groups to learn the language....or go home, I guess your not really ( Mexican or ? ) you are "AMERICAN" and you and your family have learned the language, and should be proud to be AMERICANS...... not all think the same ....THANKS:)
I know where I came (Peru) from, but I also know the country that has afforded me with everything I have in life right now. And for that, I owe this great country we live in, for somebody to come here and take advantage boils my blood. Work hard, live better, that is all there is to it.

mark49
10-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I was doing an eviction and used yahooÂ’s babel-fish to translate English to Spanish, I printed what i want to say now in Spanish come to find out they are illiterate at there own langue.. Ca and Az are getting the best of bunch from Mexico

Kachina26
10-04-2007, 12:01 PM
I was doing an eviction and used yahooÂ’s babel-fish to translate English to Spanish, I printed what i want to say now in Spanish come to find out they are illiterate at there own langue.. Ca and Az are getting the best of bunch from Mexico
Babel fish is ok for getting the jist of something, but it's hardly a good translation when all is said and done. And yes, we are not getting their doctors and lawyers.