PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Islands. Some pretty cool pix.

beaverretriever
10-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Check out the 100s of other awesome photos here. This place is amazing.
http://www.yousaytoo.com/user/patricia/3722
http://de.fishki.net/picsw/092007/28/1000/1000_011.jpg
http://de.fishki.net/picsw/092007/28/1000/1000_020.jpg
http://de.fishki.net/picsw/092007/28/1000/1000_025.jpg
http://de.fishki.net/picsw/092007/28/1000/1000_038.jpg
http://de.fishki.net/picsw/092007/28/1000/1000_021.jpg

beaverretriever
10-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I wonder if there is a speed limit on that area of the lake? I am sure there is. Looks fricken cold though.

uvindex
10-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Cool site. I like this one. :)
http://de.fishki.net/picsw/092007/28/1000/1000_064.jpg

sunsoaker8
10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
I grew up on the St. Lawrence River. It's a great place to be FROM.... it's nice in the summer...but summer just to damn short and the water is to cold..but it's a beautiful area.

H2O
10-04-2007, 11:39 AM
I grew up boating there in the 70's and I can tell you it's a boater's paradise! (East Coast style). At that time you had the place almost to yourself except for the assortment of tin fishing boats, old wooden inboards and small fiberglass tri-hull's (like ours). If you had a boat that could hit 55 mph, usually a Switzercraft with a Merc 140 outboard, you were the man!
The second picture down is Boldt castle. On 4th of July they shoot fireworks out of the castle and everyone watches from their boats. I think the current owner bought the castle (and entire island) for less than the price of my 3BR house in Santa Barbara.
Times have changed, of course, but it's still A+++ boating. On the busiest weekend of the year (4th of July) you have the equivalent of a Lake Mead sized crowd on a non-holiday weekend in May or September. The zebra mussels have made the water crystal clear, so it's really beautiful now if somewhat less ecologically balanced. (Fishing is still good though!) More boats too, but mostly cruisers and deck boats, with just a handful of Hot boats. The air temp in the summer is high 70's and the water is low-mid 70's in the shallower bays.
Oh, and NO SPEED LIMIT. You can hold the pedal to the metal for 25 miles if you like!
PS - When we got tired of having only 1000 Islands to explore, we went up to 10,000 Island National Park in Ontario, Canada. Pack in your gear on the boat (and a few cases of Molson Brador @ 6.5% alcohol) and party on your own island. Good times!

H2O
10-04-2007, 11:44 AM
I grew up on the St. Lawrence River. It's a great place to be FROM.... it's nice in the summer...but summer just to damn short and the water is to cold..but it's a beautiful area.
AGREED!!!
Water ski season was like what, 8 weeks long? But the winter seemed to last forever!

sunsoaker8
10-04-2007, 12:05 PM
AGREED!!!
Water ski season was like what, 8 weeks long? But the winter seemed to last forever!
H20 I was going to say six weeks for water ski season but I thought everyone would think I was nuts. I grew up in Massena. What part of the river did you grow up on?

sunsoaker8
10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
and winter DID LAST FOREVER!!

Xlration Marine
10-04-2007, 12:24 PM
What Town? I love Alex Bay and the whole SeaWay System. The best fishing in the WORLD. That river is like Ice all year long. Those pic's were great. I think it was 1980 when they had the Bass Master Clasic in the Bay. I need to get back there. Good Stuff Good Stuff.

That Guy
10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Wow....great pics...exactly where is this located? :)

OnlyMoney
10-04-2007, 12:25 PM
I guess Singer Castle is what was once Boldt castle. It's listed with Sotheby's for a mere $24.2M.
http://www.sothebysrealty.ca/listings/L1014.html
I WANT MY OWN DUNGEON!!!!!! :cry:

Xlration Marine
10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
H20 I was going to say six weeks for water ski season but I thought everyone would think I was nuts. I grew up in Massena. What part of the river did you grow up on?
I just saw this, Massena. No chit me too. On the Raquette River. Were you out there by the country club? We would go to a freinds summer house out there, forget what it's called. But right on the river, it was nice. What year did you did you graduate?

CPBRIAN10THMTN
10-04-2007, 12:34 PM
I used to live up there for 5 years in watertown/Ft. Drum, boldt castle is amazing, i think i'll stick to california though, i'm not hip on 8 months of winter. Alexandria bay is pretty sweet too, the old fort is still there and everything. Nice slice of history.

Xlration Marine
10-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Wow....great pics...exactly where is this located? :)
Up State NY, silly. It's part of the shipping lanes. Down stream from Lake Onterio. Kick ass fishing. East of Rochester a couple of hours, more or less. Better than the Grand Canyon.

sunsoaker8
10-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I just saw this, Massena. No chit me too. On the Raquette River. Were you out there by the country club? We would go to a freinds summer house out there, forget what it's called. But right on the river, it was nice. What year did you did you graduate?
I grew up on the Raquette River but outside Massena toward Potsdam on West Hatfield Street. I guess I'm telling my age when I say I graduated in 1971. You might be talking about Wilson Hill. As I said before, it's a great place to be from. It was good times growing up on the river their though.. water temps at the beach.. about 56 degrees in July..HEE HAW...

CPBRIAN10THMTN
10-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah, 56 deagrees and 200 damn percent humidity, :mad:

Not So Fast
10-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Any 3 bdrm 2 bath's for oh say $250,000 or so:D :D Thats one fine looking place, very, very pretty!!! NSF

sunsoaker8
10-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Any 3 bdrm 2 bath's for oh say $250,000 or so:D :D Thats one fine looking place, very, very pretty!!! NSF
NSF....actually there are some nice places on the river for $250,000. A friend of mine bought a nice house just under 2000sf and it has a boathouse with lift for two boats for $290,000. Of course, you can get places well above that price as well. Beautiful area..low cost of living.. but COLD in the winter.. which is like 9 months a year..

CPBRIAN10THMTN
10-04-2007, 02:57 PM
NSF....actually there are some nice places on the river for $250,000. A friend of mine bought a nice house just under 2000sf and it has a boathouse with lift for two boats for $290,000. Of course, you can get places well above that price as well. Beautiful area..low cost of living.. but COLD in the winter.. which is like 9 months a year..
Cold is right! Lake effect snow and well below zero degree temperatures, if you can handle it then you can get yourself a real nice piece of property for 250,000, Canada is extremely close too

Dude! Sweet!
10-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Wow! Crazy... I was feeling a bit nostalgic about home just this morning and I open up ***boat and see this! I lived in A-Bay every summer until I was 20. I worked at Hutchinsons! I've only been back once in the last 10 years. I love CA, but man that's a whole different deal (three months of the year!). Thanks for the photos! That made my day.

Xlration Marine
10-04-2007, 05:05 PM
I grew up on the Raquette River but outside Massena toward Potsdam on West Hatfield Street. I guess I'm telling my age when I say I graduated in 1971. You might be talking about Wilson Hill. As I said before, it's a great place to be from. It was good times growing up on the river their though.. water temps at the beach.. about 56 degrees in July..HEE HAW...
I know West Hatfield, my GrandMother lived in Potsdam. I was down river from you. Do you remeber the raft race that they held starting at the ball park, at the playground side. You must have gone to school with my older brothers. That river was great for fishing in. Yup Willson hill. And camping at the C C Dam (?). Barnheart Beach, loved them Canadian women. Yea that was some cold water. Reynolds Aluminum had a picnic out there every year. Did you play any base ball back in those days? My Dad and Uncle were the Coach's of St. Regis Home Improvent Bommers. We were the champs in 76, and some years before that. Those were the good old days. 16 base ball teams on the north side of town and 16 more on the south side of town. Didn't that old 3 story Jr. High suck. And Whites Dairy had the best shakes in town, good doughnuts too.

sunsoaker8
10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Xlration Marine... we're really going back in time now. I didn't play baseball.. did the track and wrestling thing in high school. White's Dairy and Homestead Dairy both had killer shakes. What years did your brothers graduate? I'm headed to the Styx concert in Laughlin shortly. Spending the night here and tomorrow and then going to Las Vegas Saturday morning to pick up some friends coming in from Massena who I haven't seen in years. Funny how the pictures of the St. Lawrence River were posted today has sent me down memory lane. Catch you later. All hail the Red Raiders....

Xlration Marine
10-04-2007, 07:46 PM
I think my oldest brother graduated in 71 or 72 and then the next in 76. But kinda he was screwd over by Mr. Moore the math teacher and hockey coach. My brother was pissed off with him for some reason and Moore failed him in 12th grade, walking out in the middle of a hockey game may of had something to do with it. Do you remember Viscovich (? spelling) the teacher in the wheel chair. They did put in a new track in 80ish. Heck I had burgers for 4 years at that high school. Our nieghbor was one of the cooks. Tulip was there last name. Do you remember any one by the name of Popour, Darling or a Rob Hyde? Styx, my brother went to Colegate to see them, my Grandmother lived across the road from the Coledge up there, his wife was crushed trying to get in to see them. Did you have Nicolice for a coach? One kid called him Groany, that didn't go over very well. It's bed time, getting old I am.

Fast Freddy
10-04-2007, 09:10 PM
that is awesome!

sunsoaker8
10-04-2007, 09:37 PM
I think my oldest brother graduated in 71 or 72 and then the next in 76. But kinda he was screwd over by Mr. Moore the math teacher and hockey coach. My brother was pissed off with him for some reason and Moore failed him in 12th grade, walking out in the middle of a hockey game may of had something to do with it. Do you remember Viscovich (? spelling) the teacher in the wheel chair. They did put in a new track in 80ish. Heck I had burgers for 4 years at that high school. Our nieghbor was one of the cooks. Tulip was there last name. Do you remember any one by the name of Popour, Darling or a Rob Hyde? Styx, my brother went to Colegate to see them, my Grandmother lived across the road from the Coledge up there, his wife was crushed trying to get in to see them. Did you have Nicolice for a coach? One kid called him Groany, that didn't go over very well. It's bed time, getting old I am.
I may know your brother if he graduated in 71 or 72. I didn't care for Moore..didn't have him as a teacher though..which was good. I do remember Viscovich. Popour doesn't ring any bells but Darling and Hyde make a ring or two. When I get back home on Sunday I'll dig out the old Tatler to refresh my memory. I had Nicolas for a coach.. we called him OLD GROANY..hell of a foot ball and wrestlling coach..but mean and you didn't want to piss him off. I'll send you a pm..