PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Deckboats

shell shocked
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I am trying to nail down what deckboat to purchase before next summer the Conquest Top Cat II or the 28' Magic deck. Anyone have any suggestions? Any pro's or con's on any of them?

USCFAN
10-04-2007, 10:55 AM
If you do a search on here you will probably fine lots of info. This subject has come up many times.

DeltaSigBoater
10-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Welcome :devil:
Have you looked at deck boats built by;
Advantage, Aftershock/Carrera, American Offshore (Conquest), Cobra, Domn8er, Eliminator, Hallett, Howard, Shockwave, Trident, Ultra or Warlock.

vee-driven
10-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Well if you ever spent any time hangin out in the channel it looks like the magic party cat is the boat of choice.

phebus
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
If you have until next summer, go to the LA Boatshow and see them all first hand. The quality of most of them is pretty comparable, so personal preferences will be the biggest deciding factor.
Remember, there is an ass for every seat, so what one person loves, you might not care for. That, and brand loyalty runs rampant around here, and when someone pays 100k+ for a boat, regardless if it is good or not their opinion seems to sway.

Quest4Fun
10-04-2007, 11:24 AM
If you have until next summer, go to the LA Boatshow and see them all first hand. The quality of most of them is pretty comparable, so personal preferences will be the biggest deciding factor.
Remember, there is an ass for every seat, so what one person loves, you might not care for. That, and brand loyalty runs rampant around here, and when someone pays 100k+ for a boat, regardless if it is good or not their opinion seems to sway.
What he said.

Hardly Satisfied
10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Well if you ever spent any time hangin out in the channel it looks like the magic party cat is the boat of choice.
Very nice boat, but every magic owner that I know says very poor customer service. Next time you see any owners of these 2 boats go and talk with them. than you will see for yourself.

Reaper1
10-04-2007, 11:27 AM
You might want to talk to Keith Sayre. I think he knows a little about both these boats.:D

OGShocker
10-04-2007, 11:28 AM
I am trying to nail down what deckboat to purchase before next summer the Conquest Top Cat II or the 28' Magic deck. Anyone have any suggestions? Any pro's or con's on any of them?
No matter what, DRIVE BEFORE YOU BUY, is the one rule to stick with. IMHO

DeltaSigBoater
10-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Remember, there is an ass for every seat, so what one person loves, you might not care for.
Only down side to this plan is that you might not get the boat until August '08... unless you buy used :idea:

Mike67rs
10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Been happy with my boat and Magic's customer service. If you think you might be interested in a preowned deck, let me know. Mike

phebus
10-04-2007, 11:52 AM
With the boat market being what it is, i don't see a long time from purchase to delivery.
Also, if you go with Magic or Conquest (soon), they have boats you can purchase from stock with your choice of power and drive.

hkunz
10-04-2007, 11:57 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157631
Some previous posts when I was shopping for a deck boat.

LOWRIVER2
10-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I chatted with Keith at Magic last Saturday. There are about 30+ brand new Magic decks in stock/ ready for power-options.
2nd vote to talk to Keith. He is very objective and will ask the important questions about what YOU want and what is IMPORTANT to YOU as an OWNER of either boat.
Good luck

Strippoker
10-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Have 2 Ultra 26 decks ready to go at the shop. All in all it comes down to what you are looking for in a deck boat. And as stated when do you want it? Anytime after the LA Show you will be on a list of builds at any dealers.

Jbb
10-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Trident Custom boats!

Jyruiz
10-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I like the new Cheetah Wildcat, but I want something in the 25', 26' range.

phebus
10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Trident Custom boats!
Speaking of the Trident, I rode with Wes on Monday, and the water was big and nasty. Big ole rollers and whitecaps everywhere. Not deckboat water by any means.
Anyway, we went out and ran to the Springs, back to Windsor, over to the Landing, back down lake to Havasu Palms, and then back to the Nautical.
The boat handled it very smooth, the front ramp kept the wind down, and the stereo was very clean even at speed. I was very, very impressed. :D

Havasu_Dreamin
10-04-2007, 12:31 PM
With the boat market being what it is, i don't see a long time from purchase to delivery.
All depends, some builders are already out to April for delivery...

lalhc
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I looked at them all before I purchased and I ended up purchasing a used Conquest. As of today, I would still consider Conquest as one of my top choices. I also like the Shockwave & Nordic new deck boats.

Nord
10-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Try here.............http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123511

Dave C
10-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Road trip....
why can't you road trip to Havasu (Conquest, Magic, E-ticket etc.) then to LA (Elim, Howard, Ultra, etc).....
seems like can view all the majors ones with only 2 road trips. Except I don't know where Trident is located?
nothing beats the ol shop tour :D

caroftheweek
10-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Very nice boat, but every magic owner that I know says very poor customer service. Next time you see any owners of these 2 boats go and talk with them. than you will see for yourself.
Not every Magic owner:D :D

Keith E. Sayre
10-04-2007, 01:33 PM
As Lowriver 2 and Reaper mentioned, I know a little about both of the
mentioned deckboats since I've sold them both for many years. If you
truly want honest ideas and opinions and I will NOT be biased, give me a
call and I'll tell you the goods and bads of both boats, then you can decide
what works for you.
Best advice that I can give you: If you're inclined to listen to others, try to
listen to those that actually OWN the boat in question. It's amazing how
many helpful people try to sway others with little or no actual experience
with a specific type or make of boat. As previously mentioned, drive the
boat, visit the factory to see how it is actually assembled and with what
materials (I'll help you understand that part if you call). Very important:
remember that the boat is for you and your family, YOUR needs and
wants should be satisfied not the guy down the streets or the guy on
Hot Boat.
Happy to help. Good Luck!
Keith Sayre
Magic Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-7600

BLOWN HOWARD
10-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Wait and check out the new Eliminator Deck that is being tooled right now. Saw it the other day and it looks pretty sweet for a deck

shell shocked
10-04-2007, 03:01 PM
I have seen all the other decks and the two that stand out are the conquest and magic. When is the new deck from eliminator set to release? I have test drove the Magic but not the conquest many people have told me that the boats feel very different in handling. Thank you to everyone for your replies.

Uniqueperformancewest
10-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Have u looked into e-tickets 29 luxury cat they produce a top quality deckboat.
Thanks John

MR.rvrluvr
10-04-2007, 03:24 PM
I have the conquest tc2.... It is a wonderfull boat...handles great, very solid, well built....
Upper Management Customer Service....SUCKS....(the boys in the back are wonderfull to deal with..really want to help you out....I just had a problem with the people in the office....Except Keith) I seem to be one of the only ones that have a problem with them tho so take with a grain of salt.....If you ask me they made a big mistake letting Keith go....
We also looked at the magic...the big thing that we didn't like was the passenger seat was 8 inches infront of the driver...My wife didn't want to sit ahead of me.....there were a couple of other minor things, but that was the deal breaker for us......
Even with the customer service problems...I am glad I went with the conquest...

phebus
10-04-2007, 03:29 PM
I have the conquest tc2.... It is a wonderfull boat...handles great, very solid, well built....
Upper Management Customer Service....SUCKS....(the boys in the back are wonderfull to deal with..really want to help you out....I just had a problem with the people in the office....Except Keith) I seem to be one of the only ones that have a problem with them tho so take with a grain of salt.....If you ask me they made a big mistake letting Keith go....
We also looked at the magic...the big thing that we didn't like was the passenger seat was 8 inches infront of the driver...My wife didn't want to sit ahead of me.....there were a couple of other minor things, but that was the deal breaker for us......
Even with the customer service problems...I am glad I went with the conquest...
Now all you need is a decent stereo :D :) :D

MR.rvrluvr
10-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Now all you need is a decent stereo :D :) :D
funny you mention that ....went to pep boys and picked up a couple more amps....:D

Not So Fast
10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
As Lowriver 2 and Reaper mentioned, I know a little about both of the
mentioned deckboats since I've sold them both for many years. If you
truly want honest ideas and opinions and I will NOT be biased, give me a
call and I'll tell you the goods and bads of both boats, then you can decide
what works for you.
Best advice that I can give you: If you're inclined to listen to others, try to
listen to those that actually OWN the boat in question. It's amazing how
many helpful people try to sway others with little or no actual experience
with a specific type or make of boat. As previously mentioned, drive the
boat, visit the factory to see how it is actually assembled and with what
materials (I'll help you understand that part if you call). Very important:
remember that the boat is for you and your family, YOUR needs and
wants should be satisfied not the guy down the streets or the guy on
Hot Boat.
Happy to help. Good Luck!
Keith Sayre
Magic Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-7600
AMEN on that Keith!!! Something that is hardly ever raised is the price points when comparing boats on here. I see people recommend a boat that costs a considerable amount more than another similar model like it, doesnt matter what the difference if you're rolling in the dough but some people actually have a budget:eek: :eek: :idea: NSF

Trailer Park Casanova
10-04-2007, 05:03 PM
http://www.ultraboats.com/instock_images/258-4.jpg
Never hear gripes about Ultra.
The 26 deck is worth considering.

McIntyrelocal
10-04-2007, 05:27 PM
lavey or howard owned eliminator driven all except ultra and howard but its a howard they speak for themsives and lavey in my oninion are the best built boat out there.just my 2 cents, there all to much to maintane now look what i have.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-04-2007, 06:48 PM
AMEN on that Keith!!! Something that is hardly ever raised is the price points when comparing boats on here. I see people recommend a boat that costs a considerable amount more than another similar model like it, doesnt matter what the difference if you're rolling in the dough but some people actually have a budget:eek: :eek: :idea: NSF
Absolutely, budget is a huge factor. That being said quality costs more and there are reasons some are more than others.....

mobldj
10-04-2007, 07:03 PM
hell,just buy 2 cheetah fast cats for less

Havasu_Dreamin
10-04-2007, 07:07 PM
hell,just buy 2 cheetah fast cats for less
That is true. One to cruise and one to just haul a$$...

riverroyal
10-04-2007, 07:42 PM
for us.A few hickups,but I give them "A" rating.If you compare them to other service stories,well "A+" then.Id buy another right away

riverroyal
10-04-2007, 07:43 PM
:D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/River_2007-July_8_.JPG

hkunz
10-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Something we found about "the price" - Boat "A" comes with a carpet kit, bimini top, and aquastep, Boat "B" comes with offshore controls, billet hardware, and XYZ gizmo. Both cost the same. "A's" offshore controls are muy expensive, as are "B's" bimini tops.
Some bimini tops, for example, which were really the same top - 10 feet long, 3/4" aluminum bars, etc., were 2k at one place and 800 at another.
If price is really important to you in your decision, make sure you are actually comparing similar boats. One place didn't include the trailer in the quote. Also, watch the power options - some builders charge more for the same drive combo than other builders. We found a discrepancy of as much as 10K between builders.
One more thing - if you get too little power, you won't be happy. And, you will have a hard time selling it. I test drove a beautiful boat, and when it was on the trailer I was going to buy it, but it only went 45 MPH with a 496HO. The 5K they saved on the purchase was lost in the resale.

BajaMike
10-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Trident Custom boats!
Yea, what he said. You should check out the Trident, it would be first on my list......:idea:
http://www.tridentboats.com/
:D

Uniqueperformancewest
10-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Heres some pics of the boat I will have at our Open House it is brand new almost finished at E-ticket with some twin 525's. There is also going to be a fresh new designed E-ticket deckboat at the LA boat show that will be available in a single and will be a little more conservative on the price. Let me know if you have any questions or want some more info.
Thanks John
Unique Performance West, Inc.
714-865-3502

ULTRA26 # 1
10-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Something we found about "the price" - Boat "A" comes with a carpet kit, bimini top, and aquastep, Boat "B" comes with offshore controls, billet hardware, and XYZ gizmo. Both cost the same. "A's" offshore controls are muy expensive, as are "B's" bimini tops.
Some bimini tops, for example, which were really the same top - 10 feet long, 3/4" aluminum bars, etc., were 2k at one place and 800 at another.
If price is really important to you in your decision, make sure you are actually comparing similar boats. One place didn't include the trailer in the quote. Also, watch the power options - some builders charge more for the same drive combo than other builders. We found a discrepancy of as much as 10K between builders.
One more thing - if you get too little power, you won't be happy. And, you will have a hard time selling it. I test drove a beautiful boat, and when it was on the trailer I was going to buy it, but it only went 45 MPH with a 496HO. The 5K they saved on the purchase was lost in the resale.
Sorry for going off topic but I have to ask what boat only goes 45 mph with an 496 HO?

duner21
10-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Shell shocked call me i have a brand new conquest top II for sale. The ad is in the spam section here! Sorry for the hi jack!!!!!!!!!
Brian

Not So Fast
10-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Sorry for going off topic but I have to ask what boat only goes 45 mph with an 496 HO?
DITTO!!!!!! And of course we would all want the finest in accesories and quality but there just has to be a line in the sand (or the bank account) I see way to many comparisions of a $100,000 boat to one that costs considerably more and economics should be brought into that evaluation IMHO, thats all folks, good shopping. NSF

hkunz
10-15-2007, 12:31 PM
It was a 2007 Commander 28' deck boat. I got the impresion that the boat had had some issues from the get go. The wife kept saying, "I didn't want to go fast", over and over. The husband kept saying something about a company in SD that does an upgrade from the 496 HO to the 525 for less than the price difference between the two engines when purchased with the boat. That was his justification for buying the 496. I steered away from that boat, and by default, any 496 HO boat.

WYRD
10-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Sounds too me like someone may not of known what the trim button is for:eek: :) :D

Havasu_Dreamin
10-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Regardless of what deckboat you buy, if you go new buy as much HP as you can afford as you can never have too much but you certainly do not want to have too little.....

hkunz
10-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Sounds too me like someone may not of known what the trim button is for:eek: :) :D
LOL, he had huge Dana trim tabs that he was very proud of, and slowed the boat even more. As he was trying to explain to me how these tabs were mandatory on a deck boat, he toggled them and the boat loaded down. I thought the tabs would make good emergency brakes:devil:

ULTRA26 # 1
10-16-2007, 01:34 PM
It was a 2007 Commander 28' deck boat. I got the impresion that the boat had had some issues from the get go. The wife kept saying, "I didn't want to go fast", over and over. The husband kept saying something about a company in SD that does an upgrade from the 496 HO to the 525 for less than the price difference between the two engines when purchased with the boat. That was his justification for buying the 496. I steered away from that boat, and by default, any 496 HO boat.
I have heard that there are some 496HO's that will run in the high 70's or maybe in very low 80's in a 26' foot boat. A 600 would have been nice but I didn't have the extra an extra $30K cash laying around when I paid for my boat. Not to mention that my 26 runs just fine with the HO
LOL, he had huge Dana trim tabs that he was very proud of, and slowed the boat even more. As he was trying to explain to me how these tabs were mandatory on a deck boat, he toggled them and the boat loaded down. I thought the tabs would make good emergency brakes:devil:
Tabs down that far doesn't sound very safe. :confused:

catman-do
10-16-2007, 02:12 PM
My vote for a deckboat would be E-Ticket, hands down. After seeing the one my budy just bought, those are by far the nicest decks on the water.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-16-2007, 02:40 PM
My vote for a deckboat would be E-Ticket, hands down. After seeing the one my budy just bought, those are by far the nicest decks on the water.
I heard that E-Ticket is coming out with a 26. They are definitely nice boats. :)

Magic34
10-16-2007, 02:44 PM
My 3 to look at would be Magic, Ultra and Trident.
Saw a Trident on the water for the first time this last weekend and that boat looked GREAT!!!! Really cool boat.
I know John at Ultra makes an amazing product and does great customer service. Have seen a few 26 decks and really like them.
I have owned 4 Magics and would not hesitate buying another. They have treated me great, customer service has been top notch for me.
Between those 3, I would have a hard time choosing. You wont go wrong with either 3, so budget would be the main factor between the 3 for me. What could I get the best deal on?

Froggystyle
10-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I have heard that there are some 496HO's that will run in the high 70's or maybe in very low 80's in a 26' foot boat. A 600 would have been nice but I didn't have the extra an extra $30K cash laying around when I paid for my boat. Not to mention that my 26 runs just fine with the HO
You are right... there are. With a stock lower and a 26 non-lab Bravo 1 prop we are hitting about 74 right now. We expect a little jump when the engine gets broken in, and I can only imagine what it would be without the big stereo and other accessories...
Boat ran REALLY strong this weekend at Pier 57. Lower altitude, cooler weather etc... allowed it to just hammer the rev limiter, so we are jumping up to a lab 28 and testing that. We will see what it gets us, but we are hoping to be even deeper into the 70's when it is all said and done.
I hate the black motors, but we are definitely making the most of what they can do with our hull.
Oh, and thanks for all of the good words guys. 'Preciated... :D

Not Allways A Deck
10-16-2007, 04:17 PM
All i can say is,Lets take a ride!The boat will say the rest.:)call me 661-607-2447 rick

ULTRA26 # 1
10-16-2007, 04:34 PM
You are right... there are. With a stock lower and a 26 non-lab Bravo 1 prop we are hitting about 74 right now. We expect a little jump when the engine gets broken in, and I can only imagine what it would be without the big stereo and other accessories...
Boat ran REALLY strong this weekend at Pier 57. Lower altitude, cooler weather etc... allowed it to just hammer the rev limiter, so we are jumping up to a lab 28 and testing that. We will see what it gets us, but we are hoping to be even deeper into the 70's when it is all said and done.
I hate the black motors, but we are definitely making the most of what they can do with our hull.
Oh, and thanks for all of the good words guys. 'Preciated... :D
Wes,
I believe that if you unload the audio and go to a Merc labbed 28, you will see 80 no problem. My .02

Froggystyle
10-16-2007, 04:39 PM
All i can say is,Lets take a ride!The boat will say the rest.:)call me 661-607-2447 rick
We will have a 710 Viper boat ready to test here shortly. I will put you on my "to call" list.
Thanks for the interest, and you are right... let's let the boat do the talking!
Wes

Froggystyle
10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Wes,
I believe that if you unload the audio and go to a Merc labbed 28, you will see 80 no problem. My .02
Thanks John, your support, as always, is greatly appreciated.
Wes

Hardly Satisfied
10-16-2007, 04:47 PM
You are right, but I said that every magic owner that I know says this.

Throttle
10-16-2007, 08:59 PM
I know you asked about two specific boats, and have probably had some good advice via PM's. I will spare you long details... you will find lots of us are true to our makes and models, yes we are loyal boat owners... however we all have different needs and like different things. Unless you are in a rush to have your boat built so it can sit during the winter, wait till the LA Boat Show (Saturday, Feb 9? to Sunday, Feb 17, 2008).
Builders will tell you that prices go up after the new year, Sceme to get you to buy now... hint... ask em how much prices went up last year... answer should be very little & not enough to rush your decision!
Look closely at the things that are comfortable for you and your family. Sit in every seat and have your family sit with you... get up and move around like you would if you were on the lake enjoying a great hot summer day!
BTW, get me a cold beer from the cooler! If it has one!
Come by and say hello, I will be at Cobra! we will have the 260 & 280 Python (S.U.B.)'s, lots of others to see too!
have fun shopping!

Uniqueperformancewest
10-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I agree with cameron(throttle) wait til the LA boat show. Then you can compare them right next to each other and see them in person, and even walk back and forth between models you like.
I have included some pics of the more recent E-tickets.
We will be at the LA Boat show aswell with E-tickets new 26 aswell as the RC-28 and Luxury Cat 29.
Thanks John

Daddy_G
10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Don't buy anything without checking out the Shockwave.
Fit and finish is awesome!
And I challenge you to find an unhappy Shockwave (any model) owner...
Says a lot about Bob's attention to detail and concern for customer satisfaction.
Not to mention, one of the best looking decks on the water (IMHO). ;)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/17069cropped.JPG

Not So Fast
10-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Don't buy anything without checking out the Shockwave.
Fit and finish is awesome!
And I challenge you to find an unhappy Shockwave (any model) owner...
Says a lot about Bob's attention to detail and concern for customer satisfaction.
Not to mention, one of the best looking decks on the water (IMHO). ;)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/17069cropped.JPG
Nice and very colorful:D NSF

Filter Pro
10-18-2007, 10:01 AM
NEXT BOAT AS SEEN 8-LUG DIESEL MAGAZINEI am trying to nail down what deckboat to purchase before next summer the Conquest Top Cat II or the 28' Magic deck. Anyone have any suggestions? Any pro's or con's on any of them?
HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE NEWEST DECK BOAT ON THE MARKET! ?
NEXT DECKBOATS

shell shocked
10-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Yes I have looked at the next I really don't care for the molded stairs on the back of the boat. I appreciate all the great comments from everyone. I think the boat show will be a great place for us to make our decision. Has anyone seen the new deck from eliminator?

3 daytona`s
10-18-2007, 06:03 PM
If you do a search on here you will probably fine lots of info. This subject has come up many times.
FOR THE INFO:mad:

Cigalert
10-18-2007, 06:36 PM
.... Has anyone seen the new deck from eliminator?
I do believe I saw it at the Long Beach show a few weeks ago. Nasty as piss IMO. Horrible lines and nothing too inovative....that is, if we are talking about the same boat.