PDA

View Full Version : Sooo someone tried breaking into...

EmpirE231
10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
My house!!! :mad:
this morning I'm turning on my sprinklers in my back yard. and I notice the screen for my dining room window on the ground next to the window... I'm like "Hmm maybe the gardener bumped into it / knocked it off" :confused: . so I check it out some more and notice the trim around my window "foam decorative stuff" has two big grooves / holes in it... and the vinyl frame of the window has two creases in it, I open the window, and the little fuzzy strip on the inside is all screwed up right along the lines of the creased vinyl and busted trim. (looks like they tried wedging something in and prying it open)
well I called the gardener (because the side gate was open when I got home, and they usually leave it open when they mow the lawn, mainly because the lock doesn't latch well) and nope... they haven't even came by yet this week.
also, my buddy went by my house to check it out and also found a BBQ fork (whatever they call it, the long fork) down in the planter next to the window) and it was mine, which is usually stored next to my bbq.
so, I'm kinda stressed right now... trying to be all CSI and shit and figure out what the F is going on...:idea: when it happened? why didn't they try another entry etc. I'm thinking it happened during daytime... since me and my fiance both work? I'm gonna have her file a police report when she gets home.
my biggest concern over a break in is my fiance coming home to being surprised by an intruder in the house! secondly would be any stuff getting stolen etc. ... is it pretty much time for an alarm? some ADT? maybe a nice shotgun (wouldn't do much if I'm not home though).
I'm about to take a week off work, get a bottle of JD and a shotgun and camp out in my backyard and wait for visitors!!.... :eek: :D

mark49
10-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Buy her a lady Smith 38, check house first and have her hand in her purse during entry.
No on Pit bull, a 38 rd is only 40 cents, feeding, vet bills nad caring for a pit 100s..

Jyruiz
10-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Time for an alarm, we have one and sleep better because of it.

Cheap Thrills
10-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Fence Chargers are great theft deterrents. Post disclaimer signs and Get Creative ! Cured some gas siphoning punks one time with a fence charger wired to the truck. Believe me it doesn't take them long to examine that 10Kv pulse and decide it's not worth the effort. Once bitten twice shy. so to say.;)
T.

delemorte
10-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Alarm + two big ass dogs +
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/9/25723530710.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6616545)
Makes me sleep better at night.

ahhell
10-04-2007, 01:39 PM
three Labs that bark at anything work for me...with a 12 gauge as back up

RiverToysJas
10-04-2007, 01:40 PM
From experience, I can tell you, these work pretty good for what you need....
http://sentinelkennels.com/images/Rottie.jpg
RTJas :D

delemorte
10-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Dogs are only scary becuase you cant negotiate with a dog. if it wants to bite you its gonna bite you with out thinking twice.. Big dogs work well. they are also loyal freinds.

ThongMagnet
10-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I vote getting dogs (two).
And the gun "if" you need a backup until police arrive:idea:

djunkie
10-04-2007, 03:19 PM
:D :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40445&stc=1&d=1191539941

photo chick
10-04-2007, 03:20 PM
I agree with the "gun theory" but shoot from inside your house not the backyard...looks better to the police!!:D

phebus
10-04-2007, 03:22 PM
If you get a gun, it will just be something else for them to steal when you're not there (unless you carry).

RitcheyRch
10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
That sucks. Get a big dog.

YeLLowBoaT
10-04-2007, 04:14 PM
sounds like it was a punk kid... if it was a "pro" they would have brought thier own tools and not failed to get in.

Lightning
10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
If you get a gun, it will just be something else for them to steal when you're not there (unless you carry).
exactly....it's not like you're going to clear every room when you get home after work - or a night out drinking. A friend once told me that having a gun for protection is like owning a hammer - everything will start to look like a nail after a while. Play it safe and simple, get an alarm, get a safe and lock your important shit in it, get a safe deposit box and put the real important shit in there, back up your computer, and let insurance take care of the rest. People talk about shooting an intruder, but who know if they can actually pull the trigger when challenged and deal with the clean up in their hallway. If the police ever ask, remember " I shot to stop him, I felt my life was in danger."

Lightning
10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Dog's are a good deterrant too.

Boatcop
10-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Just put up signs like this.
http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/12324.jpg

Lightning
10-04-2007, 04:24 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40445&stc=1&d=1191539941
Hand off the trigger until it's time....safety first. :D

coolchange
10-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Had someone come in the back and head into the garage during the day while my son was home. They had to have seen my wife leave and moved in. Would've liked to have been there when they discovered that's where my Rot/English shepard sleeps.:eek: :D

rivrrts429
10-04-2007, 05:18 PM
The only problem I see with dogs is that the intruder only needs to have a big ass Porterhouse and throw it to the dog. Or he can open the gate, throw the meat outside, and lock the gate behind him. Sounds like the Alarm is the way to go.
Maybe I'll train my dogs to only eat vegetables. That should throw them off.:D

phebus
10-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Just teach the dog to shoot a gun. Best of both worlds. :D

acatitude
10-04-2007, 05:36 PM
my rot was obediance and protection trained. no food from strange hands, just the hands and arms.... :D

djunkie
10-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Look closely and you'll see it wasn't loaded. Ya ya ya, I know, treat every gun like its loaded. :rolleyes: :D :D

Lightning
10-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Look closely and you'll see it wasn't loaded. Ya ya ya, I know, treat every gun like its loaded. :rolleyes: :D :D
I saw that it wasn't....just messin' with ya.

EmpirE231
10-05-2007, 09:17 AM
well I would definintely like to get a dog when I have some more time. my father inlaws german sheppard is an awesome dog! smartest dog I've ever seen.
looks like its alarm shopping time... I fixed the side gate and it will now be locked, and i added a motion sensor light right above it.
and yeah the whole gun thing wouldn't help if I wasn't home, but I would definitely like to have one the time I am home, sleeping and someone is trying to break in. If you wake up to some crazy noise down stairs, and you can hear breaking / forced entry... I'm sure anyone would feel alot better about the situation grabbing a hold of a shotgun... rather than a lamp or something. and if it came down to being faced with pulling the trigger, and you've identified the pesron is def a robber... it wouldn't take much to pull the trigger.

wildbillg
10-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Heck with finger off the trigger. if you look its not even loaded.
Wheel guns are great but dont point them at someone unless you got bullets in them, thats where automatics come in handy, cant look in the chamber to see if there is one there or not......
LOL...

Aqua Boogie1
10-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I have one these also........................

voodoomedman
10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Dogs are pets and home protection is a side benefit. Make sure you keep in mind that they are pets.
I got broken into my first house a few years ago. I was the fourth on our street. I can home and found the bastard in my house. I chased him like an episode of cops and he is doing 3 strikes time now. I called an alarm company that day. Havasu is also alarmed and my new primary home is alarmed like for knox. It is a deterrent and not a stopper though. If somebody is really crazy and/or really wants something they will get in. That is where an alarm and a weapon come into play.
The alarm will let you know that somebody is there. We sleep with it on minus the motions but every door and window is armed. Also when you come home you will know that the house is secure because you were not notified by the alarm company of something wrong and in the even of a down phone line you will know because the control pad will not beep in the funny way it does if the alarm is tripped. If it does beep funny then get out and call the cops. It is also one less thing you have to do if you are in an altercation because the cops will be notified (you also have a panic button). When I found out my house was broken into I picked up the phone to dial 911 when I heard footsteps upstairs start to come down the stairs. I dropped the phone to go kick a$$ and never dialed 911. Cops would have showed up much sooner had I dialed or an alarm led them my way. Of course the guy probably never would have chose my house and if he didn't see the sign then the siren would have sent him away and I would just have a broken window.
Now the weapon, you should start with and if it's the only thing you ever get then definitely go with a shotgun. This is not to protect your stuff. You don't live in the country or sticks somewhere. You live in the city with city laws, cops and lawyers and crap. This is to protect you or your family so there is not an urgent need to be carrying all the time with the risks that go along with it. If you were going to do that you need to do extensive training. Anyways, the alarm will let you know not to go in if your coming home and somebody is or has been there. No need for a handgun as that would be protecting stuff when you could get out and go to the cops. But if your in and somebody is coming in and you have to protect your family then a shotgun serves well. First just the sound of a pump shotgun racking should make most people turn tail and run. If it doesn't then while you still need to aim you will have a better chance of hitting your target than with a handgun. Also shot has less chance of penetration through a wall and hit your family or neighbors but will cause much more damage to the perp. Load a couple rounds of birdshot and then following shots with buckshot in case birdshot does do the trick. Shotguns are also cheaper to buy and no need for a handgun safety certificate. Lastly your little ones will not be able to shoot themselves with a shotgun like they would with a handgun. Of course as they get older you will have to worry about them pulling the trigger on someone else but education is your friend.
well I would definintely like to get a dog when I have some more time. my father inlaws german sheppard is an awesome dog! smartest dog I've ever seen.
looks like its alarm shopping time... I fixed the side gate and it will now be locked, and i added a motion sensor light right above it.
and yeah the whole gun thing wouldn't help if I wasn't home, but I would definitely like to have one the time I am home, sleeping and someone is trying to break in. If you wake up to some crazy noise down stairs, and you can hear breaking / forced entry... I'm sure anyone would feel alot better about the situation grabbing a hold of a shotgun... rather than a lamp or something. and if it came down to being faced with pulling the trigger, and you've identified the pesron is def a robber... it wouldn't take much to pull the trigger.

eman1625
10-05-2007, 10:20 AM
I would definately do the Alarm.....My brother and I Walked into our parents house about four years ago while two guys were inside stealing stuff. My brother was first in as I was getting stuff from my house accross the street. When he came in they hid in the kitchen...as my brother walked by they cold cocked him.....needless to say he didn't know what hit him. Fortunately he is pretty big dude and they fought for briefly until one lunged at him with a knife missing him but cutting his shirt. He threw them his wallet and they jetted out the back door and over the fence. I walked in right as they were running out the back. Good timing on my part right. Luckily nobody was injured but it could have been bad! We called Brinks the next day. It is worth the piece of mind when your wife and kids are at home all day. We also have a 90lb German Shepherd so that is nice also.

delemorte
10-05-2007, 10:51 AM
my set up is multi layered.
I got an alarm.
two i got large barking dogs that dont bite but look mean.
i also have numerous guns and i also carry.
i have a 600 pound safe that i keep all the guns and important stuff in.
He better hope i aint home when he decides to break in.
Even if i am not home, a thief after seeeing dogs and a alarm will find a easier target. Once inside the alarm is going bezerk and all the good stuff is in the safe. he wont stay long. i just hope my dogs dont get out.

Tremor Therapy
10-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I echo a lot of what has been said here.
Defense #1 is keeping all of my sh*t locked, doors, windows, gates, and safes.
#2 is having my Brinks alarm with 2 signs in the front yard, and the main keypad being visible if you tried to peer though the front window....you know my house is armed!
#3 is my 90 lb Malamute in the back yard. Most people think he's a wolf, and don't want anything to do with him.
#4 is my 9mm within 5 seconds reach. But like many have stated, you better be a good shot or your rounds will go through walls and potentially hurt your own family or neighbors. So to combat this my first 2 rounds are snake shot. They won't know exactly what they have been shot with, but it will hurt like hell.
#5 if I have time I will get my shotgun. It is locked and loaded in the safe, but if I hear racket and have the time, you are getting a face full of buckshot! I don't really give a f*ck, and I'll let a jury of my peers decide my fate!
But in the end, all this does is keep the lazy or knucklehead burgler out of my house. If professional thiefs were casing my place they would surely get in, and do their damage quickly.