PDA

View Full Version : Woman turns in bag stuffed with $65,000

desertbird
10-05-2007, 09:40 AM
HOT BOAT POLL!
Keep it?
Turn it in?
anybody wonder what the clear winner is going to be? :) :)
--------------------
Woman turns in bag stuffed with $65,000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_money_found;_ylt=AsuOT.YCOq8a.Slaqy6YSBUE1vAI
Fri Oct 5, 6:58 AM ET
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A county garbage operations employee found a plastic bag on the road stuffed with $65,000 Thursday — and immediately turned it in to authorities.
ADVERTISEMENT
It turned out the money had fallen off a Loomis armored car half an hour before Debbie Cole found it near the Pinellas County solid waste operations facility where she works. First she thought it was a turtle in the road.
The 53-year-old Largo woman found the bag just before 7 a.m., full of enough $50 and $100 bills to pay her salary for two years. She immediately contacted a supervisor, who called deputies.
It's not clear how the bag fell from the truck, said Mark Clark, spokesman for Loomis, a Houston-based cash-handling company.
Cole's boss, Bob Hauser, said he can't give her a raise or a bonus for her good deed because she's a government employee. But maybe, he said, he can arrange some extra time off.
Cole, who grew up in Long Island, said she was raised to be honest. She said she raised her four daughters the same way.
Did she think for just a minute about keeping the money?
"Everyone keeps asking me that," Cole said. "To be honest, no. It didn't even cross my mind."

Pepperkornski
10-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I would return it. :rolleyes:

HocusPocus
10-05-2007, 09:54 AM
my son (8) found $5.00 at the school and turned it into the office and it was eventually given back to the kid who lost it. out of curiosity i asked him why he didn't keep it and he said because it wasn't his.
finding money that has fallen off an armored car doesn't make it any more yours then if you had killed two guards and taken it.

OGShocker
10-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Karma!

Aqua Boogie1
10-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Im rich Bitch!!!!!!!:D

plaster dave
10-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I guess Im alone in the fact I would keep it. Say what you want but I would.:D

caroftheweek
10-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Karma!
exactly

LAFD
10-05-2007, 10:14 AM
no you not:D

desertbird
10-05-2007, 10:16 AM
RIGHT ON Dave! SOmeone not afraid to speak the truth....
Now, the tough part would be cashing that in for $65,000 singles. :devil:

Cheap Thrills
10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Karma!
Yeah about time it came back round to me :D
Pennies from heaven man. That's what FDIC and other insurances are for.
T.

OGShocker
10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
no you not:D
$65,000 and you could afford to go to Disneyland, full price! :D

Aqua Boogie1
10-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Im rich Bitch!!!!!!!:D
Do I need to say it again!!!!!!

LAFD
10-05-2007, 10:20 AM
$65,000 and you could afford to go to Disneyland, full price! :D
hahaha im going to disneyland. hahahaha thats funny. it wouldnt hurt so bad than...

acatitude
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
wonder if the guy in the loomis truck got fired??

HocusPocus
10-05-2007, 10:37 AM
wonder if the guy in the loomis truck got fired??
i drove for a company called Armored Transport back in the mid 80's its now called AT systems. when loading the money into the truck it was sorted and put on according to the stop. sometimes drivers would put a bag that was out of place on top of the truck or on the rear bumper and forget it was there. it happens more then the companies care to admit, many times it was just canceled checks or other bookkeeping material. if you keep the money and get caught with it, your in deep doo-doo. i have never seen a driver get fired for losing money like that but i have seen them taken away in cuffs for stealing it. in most of the cases believe it or not the bag was returned with the seal intact.

mark49
10-05-2007, 10:38 AM
no reward, just a thank you.... flock that... if she knew she may have kept it?

asch
10-05-2007, 10:40 AM
my son (8) found $5.00 at the school and turned it into the office and it was eventually given back to the kid who lost it. out of curiosity i asked him why he didn't keep it and he said because it wasn't his.
finding money that has fallen off an armored car doesn't make it any more yours then if you had killed two guards and taken it.
Exactly.
A while back, I found a fifty just laying in the aisle of the grocery store. Personally handed to the manager. Hopefully he did the right thing too if the owner came looking for it.
I really can't believe some of you would actually keep the money.
For a website full of people condoning others to "man up", I'm a little surprised at the results. Why would anybody be dumb enough to publicly say they would actually keep someone else's money?

ck7684
10-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Just wondering...are these armored car money bags labeled somehow? If somebody found it, would they know where it came from? I mean, a plastic trash bag full of cash and I would assume it was from drug dealer or something...

HocusPocus
10-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Just wondering...are these armored car money bags labeled somehow? If somebody found it, would they know where it came from? I mean, a plastic trash bag full of cash and I would assume it was from drug dealer or something...
yes they are marked.. usually with an id tag with various info and a metal seal.

desertbird
10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Exactly.
A while back, I found a fifty just laying in the aisle of the grocery store. Personally handed to the manager. Hopefully he did the right thing too if the owner came looking for it.
For a website full of people condoning others to "man up", I'm a little surprised at the results. Why would anybody be dumb enough to publicly say they would actually keep someone else's money?
Unfortunately, you may be placing too much faith in society. I'd bet you fifty that the manager pocketed the fifty.
It may seem black and white, but I don't know that it is. If my friend drops a $20 outta his pocket do I swipe it? Hell no. If a stranger in a line drops a $20 do I swipe that? Still no, wouldn't even cross my mind.
Find a fifty in the grocery store? Find a bag of loot laying in the road? Sorry Charlie, that's mine. Finders keepers.
I like the pragmatic kharma theory from a few posts up. I live a good life, and perhaps that bag of money is GOOD KHARMA coming my direction!!!! :D

DeltaSigBoater
10-05-2007, 10:57 AM
When I was 16, I found a wallet in the bathroom at Disneyland.
Opened it up Driver’s License, over $500 in cash, Credit Cards, ATM Card, Social Security Card, CCW Permit, and a Marin County Sheriff’s Badge.
Put in my pocket and made a B-Line for the Lost and Found.
Didn't want karma coming back to kick me in the ass!

Tremor Therapy
10-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Okay...I was one of the ones who voted I'd keep it. But it was based on the premise that "A county garbage operations employee found a plastic bag on the road stuffed with $65,000 Thursday"....sh*t my first thoughts were that it was drug money.
Now if you would have started the poll with "If you found a plastic bag full of money on the side of the road with an ID tag from a company where it was from, would you keep it?" Then no, I'd bet the numbers would definately be different.
2 or 3 months ago I went to Alberstons, and there was a womans wallet left in the cart I pulled out of the cart rack. I walked in and asked for the manager, and once she came over I handed it straight to her without even opening up the wallet. I think you would find 95% of us would do that....depends on how you word your question.

plaster dave
10-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Unfortunately, you may be placing too much faith in society. I'd bet you fifty that the manager pocketed the fifty.
It may seem black and white, but I don't know that it is. If my friend drops a $20 outta his pocket do I swipe it? Hell no. If a stranger in a line drops a $20 do I swipe that? Still no, wouldn't even cross my mind.
Find a fifty in the grocery store? Find a bag of loot laying in the road? Sorry Charlie, that's mine. Finders keepers.
I like the pragmatic kharma theory from a few posts up. I live a good life, and perhaps that bag of money is GOOD KHARMA coming my direction!!!! :D
Exactly
Exactly.
Save it! I never tell anyone what to do. I am just being honest with myself. I know I would take it and never look back.

TrojanDan
10-05-2007, 12:05 PM
3 weeks ago In Havasu I left my wallet on the swim step of my boat as I loaded ice at the Mini-market on So. McCulloch and the 95. Finished up and jumped in the truck and drove to Cattail to launch. I backed the trailer in the water and realized I had no wallet. Drove all the way back to the market and then home to cancel my cards. About 30 mins later a LHCPD rings my doorbell and he had my wallet. I was missing $17 (I was a broke ass :D ) but all my CC were there. Someone turned in my wallet to them. They quickly filled out a property report form which had the finder's name and address on it. I stopped by his house on the way home and gave him a nice Barley Bros. GC. He told me he would have wanted someone to return his wallet if he had lost it too. :)

SHOTKALLIN
10-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I AM THE MOST HONEST GUY I KNOW. I too believe in karma. Just keepin it real. Maybe just maybe finding the bag of money was good karma for all the Dudley Doright deeds you have done in life. This is of course if the bag was in an unmarked bag with no info for contacting an owner. A wallet with I.D. gets returned intact 200% of the time in my book.
My mother taught me that it's ok to be a fool, BUT, don't be a --- DAMN FOOL!
Besides banks and armored carriers are insured for human error.
;)

Racey
10-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Karma?! :idea:
I think karma would be me keepin the money for all the good deeds i've done over the years! :D

Tyson Ross
10-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I'd turn in that bag with $45,000.00 in a heartbeat! :D

EmpirE231
10-05-2007, 01:59 PM
karma ... kharma... is everyone a budhist? :idea:

Phat Matt
10-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Take the money and go buy 10 homeless people some food and clothes. Now you just bought yourself more karma and you still have the money. :D

YeLLowBoaT
10-05-2007, 03:12 PM
I would turn it in... Sleeping at night is a wonderful thing.
Besides my luck it would be marked some how and I would get arrested :D :)

vee-driven
10-05-2007, 03:40 PM
I would turn it in... Sleeping at night is a wonderful thing.
Besides my luck it would be marked some how and I would get arrested :D :)
But sleeping on a mattress stuffed with $65,000 would bring sweet dreams for months to come.

HM
10-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Take the money and go buy 10 homeless people some food and clothes. Now you just bought yourself more karma and you still have the money. :D
I like to think of Jesus as a dirty bum and I am about to sock him,. because he is a dirty bum, when I say..."Wait a minute, I think there is something special about this guy"

RitcheyRch
10-05-2007, 04:00 PM
As much as would love to keep the money I would turn it in.

HammerDown
10-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I'd turn in that bag with $45,000.00 in a heartbeat! :D
I thought it had $5.00 in it:D
Keep the money, return the bag...:D

CA Stu
10-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Character is what you do whan no one is looking.
I like to think I'd turn it in.
Thanks
CA Stu

AZJD
10-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I would keep it. If it turned out that a fuss was made or it was on the news I would give the $55k back.....I mean $65k:D

socalmoney
10-05-2007, 04:45 PM
So many people on this board worried about Karma and many of them are ok with killing people who flee from the cops.
$tirring the pot!

77Woodbridge
10-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Labeled, turned in without hesitation. Garbage bag...gettin' recycled. I would definitely do my part to be green.:D

mike37
10-05-2007, 05:57 PM
shit you didn't say it was in an armored car bag
then you would have to return it

cola
10-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I know it wasn't 65k but I droped my money clip with 1k in it on the beach at the Nautical on 4th of July a couple years ago. When I returned to my boat looking for it a 19 or 20 year old kid walks up & asks if I was looking for something. I told him my money clip. He throws it up on the bow. I peeled him off a hundred and thanked him.
I'd give it back.
Mike

HocusPocus
10-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I know it wasn't 65k but I droped my money clip with 1k in it on the beach at the Nautical on 4th of July a couple years ago. When I returned to my boat looking for it a 19 or 20 year old kid walks up & asks if I was looking for something. I told him my money clip. He throws it up on the bow. I peeled him off a hundred and thanked him.
I'd give it back.
Mike
you got lucky on that one.... nice of the kid to give it back to ya and kudos to you for the reward.

Ziggy
10-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Karma!
Precisely...I clicked my vote and was shocked how lopsided it is.:eek:
What if it was your money that was lost, how'd you feel then?