PDA

View Full Version : Pear Harbor tour question for those of you have gone?

beaverretriever
10-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Before you go on the tour, there is a 23-minute documentary film on the attack. Who is the lady that narrates the movie? A friend of mine said it was Stockard Channing, but I don't think it was her. I thought it was another actress.
BTW, if you have not gone on this tour, do it at least once in your lifetime. It is amazing and the whole tour will hit you like a ton of bricks. :(

hkunz
10-05-2007, 01:57 PM
What was the question?
We used to pass the USS Arizona each time we entered or left Pearl Harbor, which was a lot of times over the course of 25 years, and each time we would get into our dress whites, man the rails, and salute the ship and her crew. The Arizona is the most senior ship in the Navy. I hate these topics, they make me well up.:(

TrojanDan
10-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't know who the narrator was for the USS Arizona documentary is but the expanded guided tour of the USS Missouri kicks ass too. USS Missouri is docked aft the USS Arizona. I love visiting war memorials.

Havasu1986
10-05-2007, 02:05 PM
What was the question?
We used to pass the USS Arizona each time we entered or left Pearl Harbor, which was a lot of times over the course of 25 years, and each time we would get into our dress whites, man the rails, and salute the ship and her crew. The Arizona is the most senior ship in the Navy. I hate these topics, they make me well up.:(
Post #1...2nd sentence. :rolleyes: :D

RiverToysJas
10-05-2007, 02:08 PM
A friend of mine said it was Stockard Channing, but I don't think it was her. I thought it was another actress.
It only took Google 0.35 seconds to determine your friend is correct. ;)
RTJas :D

DeltaSigBoater
10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
What was the question?
We were on the Arizona Memorial when a (excuse me for not knowing exactly) destroyer came back in, with a dressed crew on deck. That was something to see. My dad and I got into a yelling match, I was trying to get him to give me the camera, but he was too preoccupied with “how emotional it all was” to see a 200’+ ship pass by. He though I wanted to take a picture of some boat that was going by. On the boat ride back to he goes “That ship wasn’t there went we went out to the Arizona was it?” :mad: :rolleyes:
Don’t know who narrates the movie.

TrojanDan
10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Yeah, but he got the answer in 0.345 seconds here on ***boat. :D

RiverToysJas
10-05-2007, 02:32 PM
The Arizona is the most senior ship in the Navy.
The USS Constitution "Old Ironsides" is still commissioned, owned, and operated by the Navy.
It's more senior than the Arizona by ~ 145 years....and still able to defend itself! ;)

Havasu_Dreamin
10-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Where's Pear harbor? :D

Caljamr
10-05-2007, 02:41 PM
What was the question?
I've manned the rails many of times entering port on the Enterprise, Abraham Lincold and the Berkeley. Off the deck of the aircraft carrier it brings chills to you because you can see the ship below the water. It's a quite few minutes of reflection as you go by the Arizona.

RiverToysJas
10-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Where's Pear harbor? :D
:idea: It's where pearl necklaces come from! :)

beaverretriever
10-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Post #1...2nd sentence. :rolleyes: :D
Fixed... LOL, I forgot the question mark. :)

beaverretriever
10-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I must have been entering the wrong info. I couldn't find anything. :confused: :(

RiverToysJas
10-05-2007, 02:49 PM
I must have been entering the wrong info. I couldn't find anything. :confused: :(
No problem! (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=uss+arizona+memorial+video+narrator+channing) ;)

Tequila-John
10-05-2007, 03:13 PM
cool tour

mobldj
10-05-2007, 03:15 PM
first your suppose to only whisper on the memorial.also kinda wierd is all the japanese folks going out there,i thought it would be like me going to the hiroshima site.....?i was there last month and took this pic,look close from the airplane window you can see the memorial

XtrmWakeborder
10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
That is an awesome memorial. I was probably 15 when I saw it and it just blows you away. I remember an old vet being there looking at the wall and crying. Powerful stuff man.

bchbum
10-05-2007, 04:27 PM
When we went , there was a bunch of kids going at the same time . I exspected them to be loud & running around , To my surprize all of them were perfect the whole time .This is something that you will always remember doing , if you were in the service or not .

John.
10-05-2007, 07:24 PM
went to the memorial a couple years back and it was definitely moving. Its a must visit for everyone. We did not get a chance to check out the submarine at the docks while we were there, but sometime we'll check that out too. I go to Hawaii every few months for work...so I figure I'll hit it sometime.

BadKachina
10-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I haven't been there but my grandmother was there when it happened Dec. 7, 1941. She was a young teenager, she said her dad used the family station wagon as an ambulance.
I wonder how many people are still around that were ther that day?:idea:

lalhc
10-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I was there during the Ronald Reagan mourning period. All flags were half staff.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40611&stc=1&d=1191647691
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40612&stc=1&d=1191647691
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40613&stc=1&d=1191647691

hkunz
10-06-2007, 01:07 PM
first your suppose to only whisper on the memorial.also kinda wierd is all the japanese folks going out there,i thought it would be like me going to the hiroshima site.....?i
I went to Nagasaki (with the Navy, of course), and although powerful, it didn't strike me the same as the Arizona did/does. Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough, or bigoted, or whatever.

hkunz
10-06-2007, 02:27 PM
The USS Constitution "Old Ironsides" is still commissioned, owned, and operated by the Navy.
It's more senior than the Arizona by ~ 145 years....and still able to defend itself! ;)
Yup, you are correct. As a west coast/WestPac sailor, I tend to forget about anything east of the Mississippi.:( I made it to Charleston, Penasacola, Pascagoula, and Norfolk and DC several times, but never by ship, so Atlantic stuff never "stuck".

scarabrick2
10-06-2007, 03:51 PM
I went there also. get tour...
However I did also DIVE on it. Had to do an inspection... Felt really wierd that day. The whole dive station was quite and no one needed to say anything.
No, no civilians can dive on or near it. I was a NAVY DIVER.
whoo yah deep sea
Rick