PDA

View Full Version : 28 Howard Sportdeck-TPI Build

kap
10-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Well I thought it was time to share some photos with the Hot Boat community and members.
This is our "signature" boat the intent was to have a very unique boat that could run with high horsepower cats and V-Bottoms yet have all the family requirements of a deck boat.
It is the culmination of many hours and lots of hard work from quite a few people and companies--- including but not limited to Howard Custom Boats, Taylor Performance Inc. Max Machine Worx and most of all my family who provided a great deal of input on all aspects of the boat build.
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6624/deckingaragero3.jpg
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7429/deckingarage3fi4.jpg
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8827/deckingarage2dk9.jpg
The boat will be completed here within the next 10 days.
Enjoy!
Sincerely,
KAP
P.S. My first photo post so if I did it wrong please let me know:) :) .

phebus
10-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Congratulations, incredible boat.

INSman
10-05-2007, 06:16 PM
WOW !!!! That is so right it's wrong, or it's so wrong it's right :idea: :eek: :D

roln 20s
10-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Beautiful boat...its gonna run amazing. I know TPI is proud of this one also :D
Roln 20s

kap
10-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Comments:
I will post additional photos when the boat nears completion. We cannot wait for the upholstery and interior to be installed it will really make an impact on the entire package.
We have seen the interior it is very classy with the right amount of sophistication without being to over the top; custom made for Howard--- by Jesse Solano at Land & Water Upholstery in Santa Ana.
Once the boat is completed we look to fine tune that TPI motor and obtain some seat time and top end numbers---we also need to select props x 2.
Thanks! for the wonderful compliments and kind words:D .
Very truly yours,
KAP
P.S. Roln20's thanks for the products we are recent converts to the sauce:) .

Havasu_Dreamin
10-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Can't wait to see it on the water John. Gotta love those Howard Sportdecks.....:D

kap
10-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks Havasu Dreamin aka S/E:
Well it's the first 2008 28 Sportdeck to roll out and we cannot wait to get it wet. We have plans for the christening at the river and then 3 days in Havasu.
I will post photos as things progress we will be at Howard on Monday with camera in hand.
KAP
P.S. I could not post those 52 photos of the Howard Regatta I did not know how to post that many?????

Havasu_Dreamin
10-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I could not post those 52 photos of the Howard Regatta I did not know how to post that many?????
If you want, you can email them to me and I can try and post them for you. Send them to my email account, 5-10 per email though otherwise it will take forever for me to download them.....

TCN
10-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Very nice, can't wait to see it in person.

RiverOtter
10-06-2007, 05:34 AM
Love the gel

TheCarDudes
10-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Good lookin' boat. I can't tell you how happy we have been with our set up. Gary builds an incredible motor. Howard already has a reputation that speaks for itself. Welcome to the family. :D

Speedman
10-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Well I thought it was time to share some photos with the Hot Boat community and members.
This is our "signature" boat the intent was to have a very unique boat that could run with high horsepower cats and V-Bottoms yet have all the family requirements of a deck boat.
It is the culmination of many hours and lots of hard work from quite a few people and companies--- including but not limited to Howard Custom Boats, Taylor Performance Inc. Max Machine Worx and most of all my family who provided a great deal of input on all aspects of the boat build.
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6624/deckingaragero3.jpg
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/7429/deckingarage3fi4.jpg
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8827/deckingarage2dk9.jpg
The boat will be completed here within the next 10 days.
Enjoy!
Sincerely,
KAP
P.S. My first photo post so if I did it wrong please let me know:) :) .
Well KAP
You do have one bad ass toy here. There is not much more to say that has not been said already. Love the colors I know the hull, and as far as that Power plant goes well TPI you just dont let up do you. I will not say I think you get better on every engine I know you do.You know the blue is me and thus far this is the best. Keep GETTIN R DONE

kap
10-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Here is a view of the transom which shows the Max Machine Worx 900 drive.
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6575/jc072004mlh4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
We need to select a prop for the boat probably start with a lab finished 30 Bravo 4 Blade.
KAP

kap
10-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks Speedman:
I like the blue throughout along with Silver Metallic the whole boat is a silver metallic. In the sun---- the color of the whole boat just pops.
I designed the gel graphics with Kevin Mcalland--- old school style pencil and paper and colored several different combinations by hand before we got it right it was not easy. Remember with in gel coat colors you basically are stuck with whatever you design so you better like it A LOT:) .
We paid extra to have the drive finished in Silver Metallic that billet upper on the drive is beefy along with the lower unit which has already proven itself. Note: I know because that lower unit has had over a 1000HP through it before MMX went through it and certified it again for the deck. I did not want any problems with the drive when running 848HP through it. The upper is brand new.
IMCO dual hydraulic steering and Gatlin Mufflers to finish it out.
I should have more photos on Monday when I visit Howard to take some of the interior.
So far the response has been positive and the hard work is paying dividends in comps:D . I have obtained a plethora of knowledge on this build and my choices thus far have been right on :D .
KAP
P.S. Thanks Riverotter thats the first comp on the gel coat.

djunkie
10-06-2007, 01:21 PM
That whole package is sweet. Like Speedman, I love the blue in it. Just a beautiful looking ride. I'll bet your just biting at the lip to get it on the water. :D :D

Speedman
10-08-2007, 07:03 PM
If and when you find your self at LH I'll put out the coin for fuel. Would love to hitch a ride in bad boy. Can't say that enough about that power plant that blue is bad ass. TPI has done some of the nicest engines out there.

INSman
10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
If and when you find your self at LH I'll put out the coin for fuel. Would love to hitch a ride in bad boy. Can't say that enough about that power plant that blue is bad ass. TPI has done some of the nicest engines out there.
I'll split the coin with you, I wanna' go too !!!! :D

Phat Matt
10-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Sweet looking ride KAP. Congrats. :)

kap
10-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Hello Speedman:
I fully expect to take you out for a ride as your next boat will no doubt be a Sportdeck, especially if the wife and kids go for a ride with our family:D .
I think djunkie hit the nail just right----I simply cannot wait to put the boat in the water and see what it does in terms of numbers and handling characteristics with this hull.
I do know that it takes time to find the sweet spots in terms of where the boat likes to run and what components will be required to reach our goal. Hopefully, we can trim some time off the learning curve by putting in some serious seat time as the boating season is definitely winding down.
Speedman you can ride shotgun no problemo we plan on making at least two trips before the end of the month. I plan on doing some water testing with props. and fine tuning the motor. Plus, I need to put some hours on the motor as i expect the performance to increase as the motor loosens up a bit and we know "Loose is Fast" to borrow a car term.
A few cosmetic items still need attention but I expect delivery on October 17th. Let me know what your schedule is like and we can coordinate a weekend to go out after we finish water testing.
INSMAN
Question?----Are you sure you want to go:) ---- once your in a deckboat with all the room it will be hard to be in anything else.
KAP
P.S. Thanks for the kind words--- PhatMatt look forward to seeing you on the water.

INSman
10-09-2007, 06:27 PM
INSMAN
Question?----Are you sure you want to go ---- once your in a deckboat with all the room it will be hard to be in anything else.
KAP
Why of course I want to go, my buddy owns the 700 TPI version and I already know how great this boat is :D ;)

HemiDude
10-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Verrrryyyy Niiiiice!!!!
Whats the money line on this gorgeous rig?:)

phebus
10-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Verrrryyyy Niiiiice!!!!
That's why it's a signature boat, he just keeps writing checks. :D
What he spent is irrevelant if he got what he wanted. Beautifull boat!!

kap
10-10-2007, 08:35 AM
:) Verrrryyyy Niiiiice!!!!
Hemidude thank you for the kind words.
I am not sure of what you mean by money line. If it means how much did I pay for it I would refer you to Phebus's post and I would tell you all the personal time and hard work going into it would make it priceless to our family:) .
If by money line your asking what are the odds/moneyline it will be the fastest Howard 28Sportdeck to date. I'd say it is highly probable that it will be the fastest to date so with that said---I would say you better hold onto your money.
FYI: Fastest 28 Howard Sportdeck to date is 102.MPH.
Only time will tell on the top end numbers but when we have them in hand you can bet I will let you know:) :) .
Sincerely,
KAP
P.S. If your interested give Howard a call directly I am sure they would love to sell you one.

kap
10-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Stereo Install on Boat:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8029/stereoinstallkm7.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9589/stereoinstall2qh4.jpg
16 speakers (Separates)---3 Amps---12inch subs x 2
PCI---Intercom with Carbon Fiber headsets x 4.
I will have better photos when it is done.
KAP

HavasuHome
10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
:)
Hemidude thank you for the kind words.
I am not sure of what you mean by money line. If it means how much did I pay for it I would refer you to Phebus's post and I would tell you all the personal time and hard work going into it would make it priceless to our family:) .
Sincerely,
KAP
P.S. If your interested give Howard a call directly I am sure they would love to sell you one.
Great comments John. That is just the way HD and myself feel about our Howard SportDeck.
By the way I was at the shop today and as I have told you before that is a beautiful boat. Can not wait to run along side of you, albeit for a short distance, to the Springs.
Bill
HavasuHome

NuckinFutz
10-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Beautiful is all I can say.

Lavey29
10-11-2007, 12:52 AM
That is an incredible looking boat. I love that blue TPI motor and the MAX drive. One of the best looking decks that I have seen to date and no doubt one of the fastest. Great choice Kap....just wave as you pass me by... :D

Hardly Satisfied
10-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Wow, Very nice boat

kap
10-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Well I just got back into town and expect to pickup the boat on Wednesday or Thursday.
I should have some more photos of the completed boat and hopefully some water shots by Monday of next week.
Thanks again for the nice compliments. Marc! go by and check the boat out at Howard----take a drive over you might like what you see up close and bring your checkbook :D .
KAP

Redrider
10-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Very nice! Love the Silver Gel, looks so NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Speedman
10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Mr. Kap was at Howard today and the crew over there were just givin her one hell of a rub down she is one of the best looking deck boat that the boys at Howard have done. The colors stand out very well not to bizzzzy just enough. The whole package has taken a twist now that the whole boat is done and waxed. Worth every dime spent you will enjoy her. Now I'm not sure what to do more HP in my 28 bullet or have a 2nd boat. Well I'll let my wife see yours first.

kap
10-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Hello:
I have been extremely busy with our new arrival to our family. We are extremely pleased with the performance and overjoyed with the handling of our new 28 Howard Sportdeck.
This boat has exceeded all of our expectations and we would like to share some recent photos with the Hot Boat audience.
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6476/havasu07po4.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9113/editimagemmxcy7.jpg
I would like to say for those looking for speed numbers I would say it is one of the fastest Howard Sportdecks ever produced. It is important to keep in mind the engine is still tight and under warrranty we wanted to run it conservatively to ensure everything was working properly.
I will say it runs mid 90's with little effort---full tanks and the bimini in the radar position :D :D. We will let you know when we decide to go for triple digits probably sometime in late November after the 20 hour service interval. However, we can hit 90+ MPH with relative ease and this is quite a feat considering what other deckboats are doing in terms of topend.
Note: we can hit that speed even on the lower Colorado [Imperial Dam Area south of Blythe] were straight aways are not that common or long.
The midrange is incredible we walked away from some boats that decided to toy with us on the lower Colorado river and in Havasu. They then pull along side and ask "what the hell do you have in that thing":D :D .
The boat absolutely crushes swells and rollers with very little impact and the resultant feedback to the driver is minimal. It also turns very flat with no rail riding or outside lean were you get white knuckled---the boat turns very much like a slot car sure footed and confident.
I have a few hours under my belt but with more seat time. I will figure out the sweet spots and the different handling characteristics in changing conditions and speeds.
Very truly yours,
KAP

kap
10-29-2007, 10:27 AM
NOTE:
To those Hot Boat members who have the good fortune to come across SPEEDMAN. I will tell you first hand he is an outstanding person and boater. He drives a gorgeous blue and white 28 Bullet aka "Speeding Bullet" hailing port Lake Havasu City AZ.
I wanted to thank SPEEDMAN and his lovely wife for all his help during our fine tuning of the boat and hope to meet up with his family for some boating and good cheer :) :) before the year is done.
Thanks! Again Speedman your a class act.
Very truly yours,
KAP

HavasuHome
10-29-2007, 10:54 AM
GREAT!!:) :) I knew you would like the boat John. Gary's motor makes it just the much nicer. JR, aka Speedman, is a great guy and a lot of fun to hang with. Hope to see you up on Havasu sometime soon.
Bill

kap
10-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Hello Bill:
Thanks! you will see us in Havasu but most likely on the weekday. We were their on Wednesday and it was beautiful calm 93 degrees and plenty of lake to run the boat with no crowds.
Yes! we love the boat. I won't even discuss the roll-on midrange acceleration ie.. 70to90MPH "fuh get about it":D I 'm still smiling.
Definitely, having a great time. Their are some minor quirks but overall the priority is getting acquinted with the boat and set it up for my driving requirements.
Sincerely,
KAP

djunkie
10-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Mr. Kap was at Howard today and the crew over there were just givin her one hell of a rub down she is one of the best looking deck boat that the boys at Howard have done. The colors stand out very well not to bizzzzy just enough. The whole package has taken a twist now that the whole boat is done and waxed. Worth every dime spent you will enjoy her. Now I'm not sure what to do more HP in my 28 bullet or have a 2nd boat. Well I'll let my wife see yours first.
Don't you dare sell my boat yet. Hopefully soon I'll be ready to steal it from ya. ;) :D :D

Speedman
10-29-2007, 05:21 PM
NOTE:
To those Hot Boat members who have the good fortune to come across SPEEDMAN. I will tell you first hand he is an outstanding person and boater. He drives a gorgeous blue and white 28 Bullet aka "Speeding Bullet" hailing port Lake Havasu City AZ.
I wanted to thank SPEEDMAN and his lovely wife for all his help during our fine tuning of the boat and hope to meet up with his family for some boating and good cheer :) :) before the year is done.
Thanks! Again Speedman your a class act.
Very truly yours,
KAP
Well is there any other way to be? It takes as much time to do wrong as it does to do wright (YES) good. I am glad we were of some help as I've always said a friend in need is a friend in deed. What goes around comes around so LETS JUST KEEP GETTIN R DONE

Speedman
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=djunkie;2866118]Don't you dare sell my boat yet. Hopefully soon I'll be ready to steal it from ya. ;) :D :D[/QU
If I sell you will know.

clearfork
10-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey John K.
Looks like you did your homework well.
I enjoyed talking with you and sharing in the first hours with your new Howard. Like I said, this is a good time, enjoy the fun. The first few hours it is hard to wipe the grin away. Keep us posted on your adventures and enjoy taking her through the century mark soon.
I have a overnight in your fair city towards the end of the month, maybe I could see it in person.
Enjoy yourself and be careful.
MP

newmexico
10-29-2007, 06:08 PM
:D :) :D :sqeyes: :)

kap
10-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey John K.
Looks like you did your homework well.
I enjoyed talking with you and sharing in the first hours with your new Howard. Like I said, this is a good time, enjoy the fun. The first few hours it is hard to wipe the grin away. Keep us posted on your adventures and enjoy taking her through the century mark soon.
I have a overnight in your fair city towards the end of the month, maybe I could see it in person.
Enjoy yourself and be careful.
MP
Dear MP:
I knew you would like it and appreciate the end result. Yes! as you know I did a lot of hard work and the early report cards are---I received an A++. If the first few hours are any indication the next several years are gonna be even better as I do not envision this boat as becoming old or tired. We [my family] designed the boat to withstand the test of time in terms of style, power and design for quite a long time.
As far as seeing the boat that is out of the question--- if you come out from Tenn. I will show you some Casa De Cappy hospitality and take you out for a ride. This flight may not have peanuts and pretzels but you will enjoy it nonetheless I promise:D .
We are going out again this Friday so let me know the details so I can make sure to save you a seat.
Very truly yours,
KAP
P.P.S. Oh! on a side note all the haters came out right before Halloween :( . The haters are those people that criticize and make statements such as it must have cost Wayyyyyyy to much and "I bet it doesn't do this or that". I was quite surprised when some other alleged acquintances and deckboat owners wouldn't even speak to me or offer a "Hey nice boat congrats"!!!! on getting your boat. Maybe I should let them win versus smoking them on the water--- I will re-examine my not so diplomatic approach :idea: nah!!!!
The Hot Boat audience and responses thus far have been overwhelmingly positive and congratulatory---Thanks!!!:)

HavasuHome
10-29-2007, 06:47 PM
John are you going to be in Havasu this Friday or the lower river, as we are going to be in Havasu?
Bill

Havasu_Dreamin
10-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Looks bitchen John!

kap
10-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Havasu Background:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7003/havasu2kd4.jpg
Work done by CUSTOM CANVAS---Owner/Operator Michelle located in Lake Havasu City on Sweetwater Rd. Awesome work plus she did the custom cover--- phenomenol work and customer service:) :) a highly recommended vendor.
Bimini rated to 75MPH with ease I would say it's rated to 80MPH no problemo it can handle the speed and infinitely adjustable to take up slack as the material stretchs over time. Plus it is big 10ft!!!---- shade is nice when it's 120 degrees in the summer kids/wife happy makes for great boating.
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6086/biminiupco4.jpg
KAP

RiverOtter
10-30-2007, 04:22 AM
Love the running shot :)

kap
10-30-2007, 08:03 AM
RiverOtter:
First the Gel now the running photo we seem to be cut from the same cloth. It was hard to get that shot standing on the shore my wife took over 50 pictures with a digital SLR----and only a few frames came in real good at speed. It is hard to keep the boat in the frame.
Hence, that is why they use helicopters to get the running shots!
I appreciate the feedback I will send that one to the guys at Max Machine Worx. There are a few more that need to be zoomed in and edited to fine tune the photos. Hopefully I will have some more photos after this weekend.
Sincerely,
KAP

Lavey29
10-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow, Kap, that beauty looks even better running on the water. The gel just pops out when you are floating and that pic at speed looks awesome. That us one of the nicest decks that I have ever seen. What do you think somewhere between 105 and 110 and the top end?

kap
10-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey Marc:
Thanks for the nice comps. It screams :jawdrop: really puts a green smiley face on me quickly. I might take some video this weekend to give you a better perspective. The fly-bys are always better when viewed in video format.
Note: The photos I posted did not come out right they need to be a tad bigger and clarity is better than what displays on this site. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
The top speed numbers will be a guarded secret :devil: . Gary and I agreed that it would be better to run the engine conservatively initially before we went for the high speed runs. Granted, if you can call mid to high 90's conservative.
In any case we are gonna wait a little before we disclose anything. Plus, I want to have several GPS units on board to verify speed maybe even a video camera.
Keep in mind top speed is great--- but not really the goal I just want to run with the big boys and their twin engine set-ups----- and still take my kids (x3) tubing and fishing off the back swimstep. Let's face it there's always gonna be someone faster.
I forgot to mention that visits to the gas pump are frequent--- so much so my credit card company called me and asked how much damm gas do I need :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D ---and I'm not kidding they really called.
KAP
P.S. It's hard to stay focused at work when all I want to do is go boating. I feel like a little kid at Christmas--- I guess I better enjoy it now.

RiverOtter
10-30-2007, 06:16 PM
RiverOtter:
First the Gel now the running photo we seem to be cut from the same cloth. It was hard to get that shot standing on the shore my wife took over 50 pictures with a digital SLR----and only a few frames came in real good at speed. It is hard to keep the boat in the frame.
Hence, that is why they use helicopters to get the running shots!
I appreciate the feedback I will send that one to the guys at Max Machine Worx. There are a few more that need to be zoomed in and edited to fine tune the photos. Hopefully I will have some more photos after this weekend.
Sincerely,
KAP
:idea: Hmmmmmmmmm maybe next time let the wife drive and you take the pics :D

hulshot
11-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Come on Kap or TPI, post the numbers so I know what to shoot for, JK, that 28 is a very nice looking ride. I think it still is the same bottom as the 26 with a molded swim platform though???? I think that is what Gene told me. I wish they would make a twin in the 30 foot range. Keep us posted on the performance numbers.;)

little rowe boat
11-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Absolutely beautiful and the shot of it running, fantastic. Congrats.

Mandelon
11-03-2007, 03:45 PM
very nice. congrats. ;)

riverroyal
11-03-2007, 05:37 PM
on price?:D

riverroyal
11-03-2007, 05:37 PM
on price?:D
i have no idea

Not So Fast
11-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Stereo Install on Boat:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8029/stereoinstallkm7.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9589/stereoinstall2qh4.jpg
16 speakers (Separates)---3 Amps---12inch subs x 2
PCI---Intercom with Carbon Fiber headsets x 4.
I will have better photos when it is done.
KAP
That is an insanely good looking boat, one of the best I've seen:D
Just a thought though, who did the stereo install and why didnt they put down some cardboard runners to walk on while doing the work? I hate it when someone walks in the boat with dirty oily shoes on and usually wont allow that even on my boat, no respect:(
Your BOAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!;) NSF

kap
11-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Hello Riverroyal:
The cost of the boat in my opinion is irrelevant in fact we couldn't put a number on it--- as it is priceless when compared to the time and effort my family put into the boat :) .
Thanks for the comps, I was cringing and taped off the walk-on area when I was at the shop but ran out of tape and paper. Keep in mind the stereo install was not done by Howard. Howard is very careful it was a stereo shop in Valencia---- stereo people are not boat friendly :mad: .
The boat ran very stronge it likes choppy water and a good 5-10mph wind underneath---then look out----- it just "airs it out" in a stable not crazy fashion. We did manage to hit 99.4-MPH until we ran out of real estate ie... straight water. This boat is only going to get stronger as I dial it in and learn how to drive it more efficiently through ample seat time :D .
The intercoms worked great if you are considering a set they are worth the money especially at Havasu when cruising from one end of the lake to the other it is nice to talk to my co-pilot, wingman, who is also my wife:) when cruising.
We did get a lot of thumbs up and high fives from fellow boaters a very nice feeling. Stay tuned!!!!
Sincerely,
KAP

phebus
11-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Congratulations once again, beautifull boat with all the nice stuff. :D

kap
11-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Running Shots:
Note: No! that is not excessive trim--only a portion of the stern is touching the water:D . Relax and enjoy
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6339/img05121ut5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Towing Photos:
A.
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8485/towingphotolh0.jpg
B.
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6281/westmarinehavasunp9.jpg
I hope you enjoy them.
KAP

Not So Fast
11-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the comps, I was cringing and taped off the walk-on area when I was at the shop but ran out of tape and paper. Keep in mind the stereo install was not done by Howard. Howard is very careful it was a stereo shop in Valencia---- stereo people are not boat friendly :mad: .
Boat is just gorgeous though, nice choice:D NSF

shueman
11-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Very nice... :cool:

INSman
11-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Very nice... :cool:
Very, Very nice ...... ;)
There are ony (2) small items I do not love on the Howard Sportdeck
1. The windscreens do not work well at higher speeds where you would really like them to
2. Fairly difficult to get a good view/perspective from the driver position when someone is sitting in front of you in the bow
Other than that, one of the nicest boats I have ever ridden on or personally drove. Congrats and enjoy ...... :)

kap
11-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Shueman:
Insman
The windsheilds work up to about 75-80 after that not many windshields will work anyway. I looked at the Dana electric models they are beefy but the added weight was not worth it to me. Plus, windshields slow you down ie...drag coefficient increases.
Your right about having someone in front of you I'm lucky as I stand 6'2" tall and I can look over most anyone.
On the Improvement list I have only three thus far minor improvements to say the least. However, that is how manufacturers polish the end result from feedback from boaters on the water.
1. The biggest gripe I have is the Blue water trim indicator is in a position that needs to be tilted or angled so the driver can view it with ease rather than flat mounted on the starboard gunwale. I commented to Gene on this and lo and behold Hot Boat test drivers said the same thing after the fact:idea: .
2. The rear hatch is not straight and brings up a corner of the top rail of the upholstery. I would make it straight this allows the bimini maker to make a bigger top and allows for easier clearance. That corner piece on the hatch makes no sense for it to come up unless it must for some reason which escapes me by looking at it.
3. The stereo is in the glove box but needs to be mounted further out ie... closer to the door as you have to really tilt your head to see what is going on. However, on the flip side once you have your tunes going you can control everything from the helm, bow or transom remote control.
These are more refinement issues versus major improvements overall it is a 9.9 out of 10, which brings up a good point. I challenge any manufacturer or boater to bring to the table a deck boat that is a 10. Oh! by the way I will be sharpening my pencil when someone trys:D .
That goes for anyone else who may be at the lake that weekend it would be nice to meet a few people on this site---Plus, I owe Sofa King Smooth some cerveza so pass the word around if you know him. Let him know their is a statute of limitation on collecting beer bets;) .
Very truly yours,
KAP

INSman
11-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Forgot about the trim indicator, I did not like that either.....
I am sure we will see you on the water and meet soon enough, more than likely when it gets warm again as we are now in Rhino/dirt mode ... ;)

TheCarDudes
11-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Very, Very nice ...... ;)
There are ony (2) small items I do not love on the Howard Sportdeck
1. The windscreens do not work well at higher speeds where you would really like them to
2. Fairly difficult to get a good view/perspective from the driver position when someone is sitting in front of you in the bow
Other than that, one of the nicest boats I have ever ridden on or personally drove. Congrats and enjoy ...... :)
1. You should wear those "goggle" glasses I got you from The River Ride.
2. I told Denise to constantly bob her head and sit up straight to make sure she was in your way. :D :D
Kap,
I agree about the trim indicator. You'll see after putting in some more seat time, you'll actually almost never look at the indicator. You'll get a true "feeling" of the boat's attitude at different speeds and airing it out. I only look at the indicator to see where it "ends up at" when I "feel" the hull is riding as efficiently as possible. Usually between 2 to 2.25 at speed.
Have fun.

INSman
11-10-2007, 06:17 PM
1. You should wear those "goggle" glasses I got you from The River Ride.
2. I told Denise to constantly bob her head and sit up straight to make sure she was in your way. :D :D
Kap,
I agree about the trim indicator. You'll see after putting in some more seat time, you'll actually almost never look at the indicator. You'll get a true "feeling" of the boat's attitude at different speeds and airing it out. I only look at the indicator to see where it "ends up at" when I "feel" the hull is riding as efficiently as possible. Usually between 2 to 2.25 at speed.
Have fun.
1. Yes I need to wear the goggles
2. Damn Denise :eek: :D

kap
11-10-2007, 06:45 PM
TheCardudes:
I was formerly a V-Bottom driver and the trim indicator and the RPM guages were the only ones I really looked at I guess after years of conditioning old habits die hard :D .
Squeezing speed out of this boat takes some finesse for the last couple miles an hour---which are all about being in the sweet spot and having ideal conditions. This requires me to know were that sweet spot is exactly and a good benchmark for me is the position of the drive.
Granted, I will learn more with seat time but so far 99.4 MPH is quite nice for an engine that is running at conservative levels--- both in terms of boost and RPM. We hit low 90's with ease--- wherein most deckboats are completely topping out at those speeds [Note: If they ever get to that mark] or need a lot of real estate to get to that number.
Unless, of course they have monster HP---I'm talking about 1000Hp+ under the hatch then they pretty much can obtain whatever speed for the given conditions suit them.
We are definitely having some fun we hit some 60MPH turns---were we are pulling some positive G forces with very little slide nor any hint of biting to hard. That is what most onboard have said impresses the hell out of them handling.
FYI we met at the Howard Regatta albeit briefly on the launch ramp at LHMarina I believe your boat says "On the Gas".
Hope! to meet you on the water sometime:) , we pretty much boat every weekend unless were going to a Rhino crash or event in the dez.
Very truly yours,
KAP

TheCarDudes
11-10-2007, 09:42 PM
TheCardudes:
I was formerly a V-Bottom driver and the trim indicator and the RPM guages were the only ones I really looked at I guess after years of conditioning old habits die hard :D .
Squeezing speed out of this boat takes some finesse for the last couple miles an hour---which are all about being in the sweet spot and having ideal conditions. This requires me to know were that sweet spot is exactly and a good benchmark for me is the position of the drive.
Granted, I will learn more with seat time but so far 99.4 MPH is quite nice for an engine that is running at conservative levels--- both in terms of boost and RPM. We hit low 90's with ease--- wherein most deckboats are completely topping out at those speeds [Note: If they ever get to that mark] or need a lot of real estate to get to that number.
Unless, of course they have monster HP---I'm talking about 1000Hp+ under the hatch then they pretty much can obtain whatever speed for the given conditions suit them.
We are definitely having some fun we hit some 60MPH turns---were we are pulling some positive G forces with very little slide nor any hint of biting to hard. That is what most onboard have said impresses the hell out of them handling.
FYI we met at the Howard Regatta albeit briefly on the launch ramp at LHMarina I believe your boat says "On the Gas".
Hope! to meet you on the water sometime:) , we pretty much boat every weekend unless were going to a Rhino crash or event in the dez.
Very truly yours,
KAP
Kap,
I wish I could remember meeting you. Please don't don't take it as any disrespect because in my business I make it a point to remember ANYONE I come in to contact with.
Congrats on your build. If I were to do it my way, I would have built it the way you did. Enjoy it in good health. Since I bought my boat second hand, I can just make the best out of what I have. Could be worse. :D
I look forward to actually sharing a few good "war" stories with you in person. Drive safe and I'm sure we'll meet up Again real soon. ;)
Yes, my boat's name is "ON THE GAS." It refers to a phrase coined by my best friend. Always on the go, living life to the fullest......"ON THE GAS".
Take Care.
George

TPI
11-11-2007, 05:45 AM
I can see this coming now:D
Hey Kap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you show George your boat in person and/or take him for a ride,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,He is going to be all over getting a bigger motor,,,,,,then the "Sportdeck Speed Battle" will begin(if it has'nt already). Just joking guys......................................
In all seriousness................The fact that "Kap" is out there running close to 100 mph in his boat with a "standard" set up and only 848 true HP is amazing to me. Why?...................Because this boat is set up to use and has eveything in it. We all know the air is good right now, but still,,,,,,the boat has a massive pounding stereo in it and the boat is loaded with accessories, and I would imagine he is running it with quite a bit of fuel in it. Some might remember me running 100.3 with an 848 in my Howard 28 Bullet. That was true,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but there wasnt ANYTHING in the boat for that. It was empty and light. I would bet a BIG amount of money I was 1000 lbs lighter than this deckboat on that day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,EASILY. My point,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when these boats are out there being run by professionals at these tests,,,,,,,,,,EVERYONE knows they are usually fairly new, and for the most part,,,,,,,,,,,light(meaning empty with a small amount of fuel). Its no secret. Which is fine,,,,,,,,,,,they are going for a printed top speed number and pretty much every MFG does it so it's an even playing field for all of the manufacturers. Where it doesnt become even is when that printed speed is compared to a "usable" boat. (IE: "Dude, That boat is slow,,,,it ran 132 mph with a 496 HO",,,,,,,,joking). It's humorous to say the least. The old Apples to Apples saying applies to testing for speed.
Regarding this Howard Sportdeck:
Remember,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no one has even tried to change the "set up" on one of these yet. They all have stock X dimesions and different motors pushing them. Anyway,,,,,blah blah blah:D
Congrats Kap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats pretty awesome. IMO,,,,,,,,,,,
Maybe Howard could build a "special" Carbon fiber Sportdeck with 1000hp and a 2" shorter drive and we can really see how fast that thing wants to run:idea:
and George,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Put your blown motor in already, Summer is coming. Maybe you would like to trade a car for one???????:idea:

INSman
11-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Hey Gary
You are not by chance thinking of building a new special carbon fiber sportdeck with big power, are you ?!? :idea: :D

XtrmWakeborder
11-11-2007, 11:05 AM
This is one of the, if not the nicest deck I have seen. I love the gel work man. WOW.

little rowe boat
11-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I can see this coming now:D
Hey Kap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you show George your boat in person and/or take him for a ride,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,He is going to be all over getting a bigger motor,,,,,,then the "Sportdeck Speed Battle" will begin(if it has'nt already). Just joking guys......................................
In all seriousness................The fact that "Kap" is out there running close to 100 mph in his boat with a "standard" set up and only 848 true HP is amazing to me. Why?...................Because this boat is set up to use and has eveything in it. We all know the air is good right now, but still,,,,,,the boat has a massive pounding stereo in it and the boat is loaded with accessories, and I would imagine he is running it with quite a bit of fuel in it. Some might remember me running 100.3 with an 848 in my Howard 28 Bullet. That was true,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but there wasnt ANYTHING in the boat for that. It was empty and light. I would bet a BIG amount of money I was 1000 lbs lighter than this deckboat on that day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,EASILY. My point,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when these boats are out there being run by professionals at these tests,,,,,,,,,,EVERYONE knows they are usually fairly new, and for the most part,,,,,,,,,,,light(meaning empty with a small amount of fuel). Its no secret. Which is fine,,,,,,,,,,,they are going for a printed top speed number and pretty much every MFG does it so it's an even playing field for all of the manufacturers. Where it doesnt become even is when that printed speed is compared to a "usable" boat. (IE: "Dude, That boat is slow,,,,it ran 132 mph with a 496 HO",,,,,,,,joking). It's humorous to say the least. The old Apples to Apples saying applies to testing for speed.
Regarding this Howard Sportdeck:
Remember,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no one has even tried to change the "set up" on one of these yet. They all have stock X dimesions and different motors pushing them. Anyway,,,,,blah blah blah:D
Congrats Kap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats pretty awesome. IMO,,,,,,,,,,,
Maybe Howard could build a "special" Carbon fiber Sportdeck with 1000hp and a 2" shorter drive and we can really see how fast that thing wants to run:idea:
and George,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Put your blown motor in already, Summer is coming. Maybe you would like to trade a car for one???????:idea:
I was wondering how many ponies that motor was putting out.

kap
11-11-2007, 12:16 PM
This is one of the, if not the nicest deck I have seen. I love the gel work man. WOW.
Thanks! XtrmWakeborder we never grow tired of the compliments and kind words. We love the colors and the design is ours ie... proprietary:D . We labored over a lot of photos magazines and websites before we had some ideas about the final concept.
I guess the idea was to design something that is classy and will last a long time versus todays fad. We got lucky with the interior as my wingman/wife designed the interior. We are not done with the upholstery one more upgrade and it should be finished.
We were not in our Howard we were on the huge 34foot Bennington Tri-toon next to you. You were wiping the boat down after the morning rain and I joked around with you--- and said why bother it's gonna get wet anyway:D :D . You gave me the who the "f" is this guy look. Funny! you just never know who your gonna run into :D :D .
Yes! I'm sure we will see each other on the water again only this time you'll know what to look for. FYI---I know what you bought your ride for and let me tell you stealing is an understatement you got the smokin good guy deal. Guess, it goes with the title though car salespeople can sell oil to Valvoline.
Your boat is beautiful plus it's in all the magazines constantly what more could you ask for.
Don't, worry the old phrase still applies their is always someone faster or has more horsepower and money. I have my sights set a lot higher next year with some planned events poker runs and the like. It would be nice to attend some events and place in the top 10-20 with a friggin deckboat better yet--- be in the money shot:eek: .
A composite Sportdeck I do not think it would work and if you did it would be a huge undertaking for anyone laminating the boat and the materials would cost a fortune. If that is what you want then get a composite Cat hull with a walk through open bow.
Plus, weight helps in rough conditions and makes the boat more stable. IMO the sacrifice is to great not to mention the cost---- but, hey if someone wants it have at it.
Gary you know how heavy our boat is you can feel the weight "YOU" are absolutely right we are definitely not traveling light. I want to figure a way to remove that huge 12inch subwoofer box. I'll probably gain one mile an hour just with losing those huge subs and the enclosure :) .
It's only a matter of time the boat is going to get better and better as it loosens up and I get more intimately familiar with the boat.
KAP

kap
11-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I was wondering how many ponies that motor was putting out.
Gary please allow me to answer this one----848HP. Just ask my insurance carrier :D :D .
KAP

TPI
11-11-2007, 12:24 PM
INSMAN,
No plans in the works yet,,,,,,,,,,but that would be a fun boat.
LRB,
Yes,,,,,this is a true 848+ HP motor and at 848hp it is VERY conservative compared to what it is capable of. That motor is the foundation for a 1000+HP motor(if that is what the customer wants to do with it). It has a bunch of very good American parts that are hardly working as an 848+hp motor. That is one of the reasons I like it so much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.Down the road, its easily upgraded, without a lot of expense from the customer. The longblock parts are already there if the customer wants 1000+HP,,,,,,Its a good set up.IMO,,,,,,,,,,It's the perfect combination in one of these Sportdecks. It doesnt feel overpowered in the least.

little rowe boat
11-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Gary please allow me to answer this one----848HP. Just ask my insurance carrier :D :D .
KAP
Thats why I quoted GT. because in his post it stated 848.
I thought Deck boats were relatively cheap to insure.:eek:

little rowe boat
11-11-2007, 12:28 PM
INSMAN,
No plans in the works yet,,,,,,,,,,but that would be a fun boat.
LRB,
Yes,,,,,this is a true 848+ HP motor and at 848hp it is VERY conservative compared to what it is capable of. That motor is the foundation for a 1000+HP motor(if that is what the customer wants to do with it). It has a bunch of very good American parts that are hardly working as an 848+hp motor. That is one of the reasons I like it so much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.Down the road, its easily upgraded, without a lot of expense from the customer. The longblock parts are already there if the customer wants 1000+HP,,,,,,Its a good set up.IMO,,,,,,,,,,It's the perfect combination in one of these Sportdecks. It doesnt feel overpowered in the least.
Beautiful motor in a beautiful boat. All I can say is WOW!

Havasu_Dreamin
11-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I thought Deck boats were relatively cheap to insure.:eek:
We pay less for our Howard Sportdeck with a 525 than we did for our 29 ft deep v with a 525.....Not a lot less...but it is less...

TPI
11-11-2007, 01:04 PM
I love it. I think I need a new insurance carrier:D

Not So Fast
11-11-2007, 04:25 PM
For what its worth and it can be confirmed in the PowerBoat performance tests 2003 and probably Keith can chime in here. As far as numbers with given HP their test showed a Magic 28 Deckboat with a 850hp Flat top 572 cu. in., 1.50 gear running a 2" Shorty lower, ran 108.1mph, 5950 RPM's at Parker:eek: Believe it or not. I've got the article in hand. ;) NSF

TPI
11-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I totally believe it.Professional driver, test conditions,,,,,,,2" shorty, sounds pretty realistic for a high speed number.:idea: :D I really like real world testing,,,,,like what "Kap" is doing here. On a side note(NSF) Damn Charger defense just cost me a fantasy football win!:(

Not So Fast
11-11-2007, 11:13 PM
:idea: I totally believe it.Professional driver, test conditions,,,,,,,2" shorty, sounds pretty realistic for a high speed number.:idea: :D I really like real world testing,,,,,like what "Kap" is doing here. On a side note(NSF) Damn Charger defense just cost me a fantasy football win!:(
Thank God for the defense cause we got no offense:( :( :( And FFL's ruin the purity of football;)
I just thought those tests may have been over looked:idea:and Magic needs all the help it can muster:D NSF

Havasu_Dreamin
11-12-2007, 07:47 AM
For what its worth and it can be confirmed in the PowerBoat performance tests 2003 and probably Keith can chime in here. As far as numbers with given HP their test showed a Magic 28 Deckboat with a 850hp Flat top 572 cu. in., 1.50 gear running a 2" Shorty lower, ran 108.1mph, 5950 RPM's at Parker:eek: Believe it or not. I've got the article in hand. ;) NSF
The Magic also weighs 600 lbs less than the Howard.....Impressive numbers none-the-less...

Not So Fast
11-13-2007, 05:36 PM
The Magic also weighs 600 lbs less than the Howard.....Impressive numbers none-the-less...
You know what HD, I'll tell this once more. They state the 28 Deckboat weighs 4200lbs so when I got the MVD renewal (trailer) after the first year and it was only yearly instead of a one time fee I complianed to MVD. They told me it was because the total weight was over 6000 lbs and i argued with them. So they said bring me a Official weigh ticket and if its less that 6000lbs we'll give you a permanent sticker. I figure if the boat is 4200lbs then if the trailer was around 1800lbs i had a shot even if I had to debone the sucker it would be worth it so off the Acoma Van lines to get weighed. I even disconnected the thing from my truck so it would be accurate. The lady says what are you looking for and I told her and she laughed, not even close Darling, you're at 7300 lbs and change:eek: No wonder my Tundra struggles :idea: So there you have it, make of it what you will:D NSF

TPI
11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Damn,
That is one heavy duty trailer for such a light boat!:)

Havasu_Dreamin
11-13-2007, 07:08 PM
You know what HD, I'll tell this once more. They state the 28 Deckboat weighs 4200lbs so when I got the MVD renewal (trailer) after the first year and it was only yearly instead of a one time fee I complianed to MVD. They told me it was because the total weight was over 6000 lbs and i argued with them. So they said bring me a Official weigh ticket and if its less that 6000lbs we'll give you a permanent sticker. I figure if the boat is 4200lbs then if the trailer was around 1800lbs i had a shot even if I had to debone the sucker it would be worth it so off the Acoma Van lines to get weighed. I even disconnected the thing from my truck so it would be accurate. The lady says what are you looking for and I told her and she laughed, not even close Darling, you're at 7300 lbs and change:eek: No wonder my Tundra struggles :idea: So there you have it, make of it what you will:D NSF
Interesting...Sounds like Magic needs to change their website then.....or at least explain how they came to the 4200 lbs.....

Froggystyle
11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
:eek: :2purples: :eek: Damn yo... That makes it one of the lighter ones.
Talk to Extreme if you want to know what boats really weigh. When we were figuring out how to build our trailer they asked what we weighed as it sat and we told them 3800#, give or take 40 pounds at that point (Dual Drive, Twin turbo motor). He said "yeah, you and everyone else, right?"
I didn't really understand what he meant until he called back later with an "I'll be damned, you were just under #3800 as it sat..." I asked why the surprise and he said simply that all of the manufacturers claim whatever weight they claim, but they need to weigh them to properly build a trailer for them. He said most decks by the majors were 5200-6200 pounds depending on how they are equipped. 496HO with no stereo in most will be 5200 or so with audio, accessories, superchargers, strainers, batteries etc... adding up the total quickly from there.
Surprise number to most though, as you found out. I am not sure how they advertise 4200# either... except maybe without the motor and drive, which would be about right.
I should advertise ours at 2100# and see if it raises any eyebrows... :D

kap
11-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Several Members requested I post a better photo of the approach fly by.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/KAP328/Flyby.jpg
Here was a photo at rest on the Sandbar lower Colorado river.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/KAP328/Sandbar1.jpg
I will have some more running shots after this weekend.
Enjoy,
KAP

Not So Fast
11-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Enjoy,
KAP
Thats hot but it looks like you really beached it:eek: I sure like the looks and the performance is not bad either:D NSF

Not So Fast
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
:eek: :2purples: :eek: Damn yo... That makes it one of the lighter ones.
Talk to Extreme if you want to know what boats really weigh. When we were figuring out how to build our trailer they asked what we weighed as it sat and we told them 3800#, give or take 40 pounds at that point (Dual Drive, Twin turbo motor). He said "yeah, you and everyone else, right?"
I didn't really understand what he meant until he called back later with an "I'll be damned, you were just under #3800 as it sat..." I asked why the surprise and he said simply that all of the manufacturers claim whatever weight they claim, but they need to weigh them to properly build a trailer for them. He said most decks by the majors were 5200-6200 pounds depending on how they are equipped. 496HO with no stereo in most will be 5200 or so with audio, accessories, superchargers, strainers, batteries etc... adding up the total quickly from there.
Surprise number to most though, as you found out. I am not sure how they advertise 4200# either... except maybe without the motor and drive, which would be about right.
I should advertise ours at 2100# and see if it raises any eyebrows... :D
So about how much does the average 3 axle trailer weigh if you happen to know? Back when I bought, Conquest was at 4800lbs, Eliminator Fundeck at 5000lbs so does this mean the trailer tips in at 2300lbs?? That seems kind of heavy to me:confused: Anyway I;m screwed and have to pay yearly for the trailer:( NSF

TPI
11-14-2007, 06:06 AM
Thats hot but it looks like you really beached it:eek: I sure like the looks and the performance is not bad either:D NSF
Arent you supposed to beach them? That's what the walk in entry is for, right?:)

Not So Fast
11-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Arent you supposed to beach them? That's what the walk in entry is for, right?:)
Darn, I been doing it wrong I guess:idea: I usually put the bow on the sand:) NSF

kap
11-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Well the bow was directly at a right angle to the sandbar. I turned the boat into the current to get the shot.
In retrospect I should have anchored it out and taken a complete water shot.
As far as beaching the boat YES! we do---- doesn't everybody:idea:????. Plus, I won't even tell you how many bass I caught off the back swimstep right in that spot. As it might not be PC for me to say openly:eek: .
Headed out to Havasu this weekend if anyone is going we will see you hopefully on the water. Diego is sweltering 91 yesterday hotter than Havasu.
KAP

shippingguy
11-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Well the bow was directly at a right angle to the sandbar. I turned the boat into the current to get the shot.
In retrospect I should have anchored it out and taken a complete water shot.
As far as beaching the boat YES! we do---- doesn't everybody:idea:????. Plus, I won't even tell you how many bass I caught off the back swimstep right in that spot. As it might not be PC for me to say openly:eek: .
Headed out to Havasu this weekend if anyone is going we will see you hopefully on the water. Diego is sweltering 91 yesterday hotter than Havasu.
KAP
We will be on the water in Havasu on Saturday and then hanging up river on Sunday. Hope to see you out there. Congrats on your new boat it is very nice.
Mike

ULTRA26 # 1
11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Enjoy,
KAP
Kap,
The boat is beautiful.

kap
11-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Shipping Guy:
We hope to see you this weekend we will be cruising around.
What is the name of your boat????
Thanks Ultra26#1
We appreciate the the positive comments:) :) . I've seen your ride before--- very nice?????
I hope to have video clips as well---Gary/TPI will definitely be interested in the video portion. We have a new camera and untested lenses. I hope the video comes out the way we want it probably go up river were it's easier to do fly-bys.
Very truly yours,
KAP

shippingguy
11-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Shipping Guy:
KAP
No name on the boat. It is a Ultra 27 Shadow. I launch out of Jack Smith in Needles. We will be running down to Havasu on Saturday and then hanging up river later in the day and in the afternoon on Sunday.
Mike

ULTRA26 # 1
11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Shipping Guy:
Thanks Ultra26#1
We appreciate the the positive comments:) :) . I've seen your ride before--- very nice?????
I hope to have video clips as well---Gary/TPI will definitely be interested in the video portion. We have a new camera and untested lenses. I hope the video comes out the way we want it probably go up river were it's easier to do fly-bys.
Very truly yours,
KAP
Thanks
Hope you and Mike (shippingguy) have a safe and fun weekend.
John

kap
11-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Mike aka Shipping Guy:
We will look for you in Havasu as we normally do not boat in Havasu. Usually we boat on the lower Colorado and Lake Mead it would be nice to meet new boaters:) :) .
KAP

shippingguy
11-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Mike aka Shipping Guy:
We will look for you in Havasu as we normally do not boat in Havasu. Usually we boat on the lower Colorado and Lake Mead it would be nice to meet new boaters:) :) .
KAP
Sounds good. If you see us run us down:D Would love to meet you and check your boat out.

Not So Fast
11-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Mike aka Shipping Guy:
KAP
You gonna launch at Windsor? I'll say Howdy if I see you, probably be in my new Golf Cart if its not to chilly:D NSF

superduty
11-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Mr Kap and family,
All I can say is WOW!!:sqeyes: Can't wait to see it in person and take a ride.:D You and Laura did one hell of a job putting her together. I know she will keep you all smilling and safe for all the awesome times that are awaiting. Maybe you might even let me take the pilot seat for a second or two.:devil:
Tell the family we send our love.

phebus
11-17-2007, 11:00 AM
I saw the boat yesterday going into Windsor, and then again today on Mesquite. Beautifull boat. Lakes been glass for days, so it isn't good water for speed, but I'm curious to hear what it ran.

Boomer 880
11-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Absolutely beautiful in both looks and performance.
Not a lot of performance deck boats in the Midwest, so I have to ask a few stupid questions... what is the minimum planing speed of the boat? Can you do any tubing off a 26-28' single engine deck boat? How tight an you turn at 30-40 mph?
I may need to take a tip to the LA boat show!

kap
11-18-2007, 11:00 PM
Superduty:
We miss you guys on the water---your 2750 Lavey is still a smokin boat. A Mead trip is already being planned:D.
We just rolled in from Havasu and Phebus your right it was very glassy and sticky. Real hard to "air" the boat out for top end. This condition was confirmed by other boaters who had difficulty attaining triple digit speeds with monster HP. Plus, it was kinda muggy cool damp type air in the A.M. not the best conditions with no wind and glassy surface.
Really we were in Havasu to participate in the promotion of a new publication catering to the "Performance Boater" and we had alternative schedules other than having fun:) . If you were in Havasu this last weekend there were a lot of nice boats on the water.
Thus, we did not get much of a chance to really run the boat but that may change as we may be going back on Friday after Thanksgiving or stay on the lower Colorado.
The water was about 4-5 feet low in Havasu and we heard it was worse on the lower river--- with boats hitting bottom and sandbars going almost across the entire river.
I'll post a video that is not so proprietary--- but nice to listen to:jawdrop: .
Yes! we fish on the back swimstep and the next item is a Garmin GPS with a fish finder in lieu of the compass. Planing speed depends on your drive ratio and power combination together.
If your asking can you pull a tube absolutely just how fast do you want it to go? Sounds! like a lot of your questions may steer you more toward a wake board boat than a performance deckboat.
Thank you for the nice compliments! Yes! the LA boat show is probably a good trip for you to take as you may whittle down the choices of what you want in your next boat.
Sincerely,
KAP

shippingguy
11-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Superduty:
To all you HB members Mike aka "Shipping Guy" and his lovely wife Holley are great peeps and avid boaters. It was great meeting up with you both. Your friend Adam was equally a great guy.
Sincerely,
KAP
Nice meeting you as well. The boat is very nice. Congrats again.
Mike

so cal D
11-19-2007, 08:15 PM
So Others Will Be Launching This Weekend?! We Planned On Taking The Dirt Toys To Our River Home, Since We Will Be There Three Days I Was Hoping To At Least Put The Boat In The Water One Of The Days. Mike, Maybe We Will See You Out There. Kap, Look Foward To Seeing You New Build As Well, Looks Great!!

shippingguy
11-19-2007, 08:38 PM
So Others Will Be Launching This Weekend?! We Planned On Taking The Dirt Toys To Our River Home, Since We Will Be There Three Days I Was Hoping To At Least Put The Boat In The Water One Of The Days. Mike, Maybe We Will See You Out There. Kap, Look Foward To Seeing You New Build As Well, Looks Great!!
We wont be back out till the weekend of the 30th.
Mike

kap
11-19-2007, 08:50 PM
TPI 848:
It is a smooth quiet motor that makes impressive power with a great temperment and showroom factory looks. In fact some boaters thought it was a factory motor when they see the hatch up:D .
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/KAP328/?action=view&current=100_1240.flv
The on/off procedure is intended to demonstrate the reliable nature of the motor and trouble free operation in our boat versus an industry person or company telling you about it--- video kinda tells it all.
Enjoy it we do--- and we have some sound of the motor doing fly-bys and hearing it will make any motor head smile.
Stay tuned!!!
KAP

so cal D
11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Maybe I Should Read The Dates Better, I Responded After Only Reading Page Four Of The Thread. After Checking The Weather For This Weekend The Only Thing I Will Be Riding In Is The Rhino!!

Decided Advantage
11-21-2007, 03:46 PM
All right enough of this now!
First I should acknowledge one beautiful boat and and quick-n-classy drive combo.
I've wanted to get off the 496HO dime and TPI is going to force it yet.
But even all ready. A person's mouth can only water so much.
Seriously looks like a great boat. What does a similar drive combo cost out the door these days like that?

kap
11-21-2007, 06:15 PM
All right enough of this now!
First I should acknowledge one beautiful boat and and quick-n-classy drive combo.
I've wanted to get off the 496HO dime and TPI is going to force it yet.
But even all ready. A person's mouth can only water so much.
Seriously looks like a great boat. What does a similar drive combo cost out the door these days like that?
Gary owner of Taylor Performance Inc. has a nice 848 polished version for sale that he does not want to carry over into 2008---hint hint. In anycase the off season is the perfect time to do a power swap:D .
I wonder what members thought of the engine video no one seemed to comment----- either positively or critically:idea: :idea: ? Well it is probably safe to assume most members are either traveling to loved ones and family or grocery shopping for tomorrow;) .
Happy Thanksgiving to all the Hot Boat members and God Bless you and your family!!!!!!
Very truly yours,
KAP

11-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Loved the video!:D
That 848 sounds milder than mine...seriously. I truly have "deck" envy with your boat. What a great combination of utility and a$$ haulin' power. That's what I call fine family fun!:wink:
See you out there!
----Rob

Lavey29
11-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Damn, that thing is quiet and smooth idling. Are you running Gatlin mufflers Kap? I have the Teague switchable system so I still get to hear that raw open pipe motor sound when I want or close it down to baby quiet in the no wake zone. I am going to call Gary about a possible motor for the new boat also.
Does anyone on the boards give more detailed thorough info and responses then Kap. It is great hearing about his new floater and how nice everything is turning out after the build... :D

Boomer 880
11-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Great looking and sounding engine.
I just hope the drive can handle all that torque.:confused: How many hours do you have on the boat and have you had any drive issues?

franky
11-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Great looking and sounding engine.
I just hope the drive can handle all that torque.:confused: How many hours do you have on the boat and have you had any drive issues?
FROM AN EARLIER POST
"We paid extra to have the drive finished in Silver Metallic that billet upper on the drive is beefy along with the lower unit which has already proven itself. Note: I know because that lower unit has had over a 1000HP through it before MMX went through it and certified it again for the deck. I did not want any problems with the drive when running 848HP through it. The upper is brand new. "
Should be fine IMO. I ran an 800+ HP 780 ftlb blown deal through a stock Bravo I for three years with no problem. A smaller v-bottom but that same drive now has over 450 hous on it now with a milder motor. It all depends on how you drive em. Hammer it all of the time out of the hole or roll it up on plane first. Fly it or keep it in the water. Driving style makes a big difference but like said, he does have a nice drive.

kap
11-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Damn, that thing is quiet and smooth idling. Are you running Gatlin mufflers Kap? I have the Teague switchable system so I still get to hear that raw open pipe motor sound when I want or close it down to baby quiet in the no wake zone. I am going to call Gary about a possible motor for the new boat also.
Does anyone on the boards give more detailed thorough info and responses then Kap. It is great hearing about his new floater and how nice everything is turning out after the build... :D
Hello Marc:
Yes! I am running Gatlin mufflers. Seriously, if you put Gary's motor in the 26foot deck your looking at--- it's gonna fly.
I am glad you appreciate the effort on information and responses posted. The HB people have been overwhelmingly positive and some members--- you know who you are--- did not hesitate to answer my questions during the build process.
Thanks Franky for re-posting that section on the drive---Boomer probably did not want to read through all the pages in detail:D .
Franky, your absolutely right about driving style and the relation to drive longevity. They go hand in hand. I would also like to mention another factor--- is horsepower and weight being pushed through the water the heavier the boat and the higher the HP the more stress on the drive ie... deckboats are heavy generally speaking so you better have a stronge drive.
KAP

Boomer 880
11-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Hello Marc:
Yes! I am running Gatlin mufflers. Seriously, if you put Gary's motor in the 26foot deck your looking at--- it's gonna fly.
I am glad you appreciate the effort on information and responses posted. The HB people have been overwhelmingly positive and some members--- you know who you are--- did not hesitate to answer my questions during the build process.
Thanks Franky for re-posting that section on the drive---Boomer probably did not want to read through all the pages in detail:D .
Franky, your absolutely right about driving style and the relation to drive longevity. They go hand in hand. I would also like to mention another factor--- is horsepower and weight being pushed through the water the heavier the boat and the higher the HP the more stress on the drive ie... deckboats are heavy generally speaking so you better have a stronge drive.
KAP
I was easily distracted by all the great looking pictures and smokin' video:D

franky
11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Hello Marc:
KAP
No doubt!!
Please let me know when you are ever in Havasu. I would love to see the boat. I have been in Gary's and would like to see the install on the deck. Mike did a fantastic job on the tooling of the deck boat. Well thought out.
Glad to see the nice clean classic graphics (plus blue is my color).

new2cats
11-28-2007, 07:52 PM
No doubt!!
Please let me know when you are ever in Havasu. I would love to see the boat. I have been in Gary's and would like to see the install on the deck. Mike did a fantastic job on the tooling of the deck boat. Well thought out.
Glad to see the nice clean classic graphics (plus blue is my color).
I watched Mike W. tool the 28' Sportdeck; they were in perpetual sand mode when my last Bullet was being rigged.....I was even given the rare pleasure to work with Mike and Paco on the rear swim step ergonomics..they graciously let me "help" do some of the final design work on the swim step...it was a blast and one of my dreams to check off the "long list".....thanks to Mike Willen for the opportunity to help make history!!

kap
11-29-2007, 09:39 AM
I watched Mike W. tool the 28' Sportdeck; they were in perpetual sand mode when my last Bullet was being rigged.....I was even given the rare pleasure to work with Mike and Paco on the rear swim step ergonomics..they graciously let me "help" do some of the final design work on the swim step...it was a blast and one of my dreams to check off the "long list".....thanks to Mike Willen for the opportunity to help make history!!
Dear New2cats:
The rear swimstep is a stronge feature and design of this Sportdeck. If you compare other deckboat manufacturers they either do not have one or make a feeble attempt at incorporating one.
This design mentality has definitely changed in the latest deckboats being produced, as more and more manufacturers are realizing the importance of this feature to families buying deckboats. Hence, they are making the effort to have one or redesigning their existing platforms to improve on the prior design.
Our family constantly goes out onto the back of the boat and either sit on the hatch or swimstep watching the boats and people cruise or drop a line and fish off the back:) .
The graphic design is ours as we wanted the graphics to withstand the test of time, and remain visually appealing. The interior is also something you and most boaters would appreciate with just enough detail yet not overpowering.
Very truly yours,
KAP
P.S. Boomer glad you enjoyed the video I was beginning to wonder if anyone looked at it.

franky
11-29-2007, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=kap;2917240]Dear New2cats:
The graphic design is ours as we wanted the graphics to withstand the test of time, and remain visually appealing. The interior is also something you and most boaters would appreciate with just enough detail yet not overpowering.
Amen!
IMO, there will be a lot of boats that were built over the last few years (when flames/tribals, loud colors were popular) that will be hard to sell in the future.
Forward thinking.:D

FlyingRhino
11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
John (Angel)
Boat looks sweet. I am anxiously waiting to see it in person and go for that ride.

kap
11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
FYI:
For those of you that did not get the post in the SANDBAR section--IE. "Help Lost Dog".
Flying Rhino thinks I'm some kinda good luck charm/angel:) . Why! because after two days of searching he was talking to me on the cell phone after I posted the help column---- and lo and behold--- his lost dog walked into camp as we were talking.
It was so crazy lucky--- I had to call him back to make sure he had the right dog and to check to make sure he wasn't hallucinating or drinking to much from worrying:D .
Carry on!!!!
Headed to the River hope I can run the boat for a least a couple hours. I'll bring my foul weather gear:( .
Sincerely,
KAP

FlyingRhino
12-01-2007, 12:44 PM
FYI:
For those of you that did not get the post in the SANDBAR section--IE. "Help Lost Dog".
Flying Rhino thinks I'm some kinda good luck charm/angel:) . Why! because after two days of searching he was talking to me on the cell phone after I posted the help column---- and lo and behold--- his lost dog walked into camp as we were talking.
It was so crazy lucky--- I had to call him back to make sure he had the right dog and to check to make sure he wasn't hallucinating or drinking to much from worrying:D .
Carry on!!!!
Headed to the River hope I can run the boat for a least a couple hours. I'll bring my foul weather gear:( .
Sincerely,
KAP
Okay, looking how I wrote that I will change Angel to Lucky. Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

kap
12-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Hello HB Members:
I think I am getting the hang of this deckboat and understanding what it likes to go fast.
Can you say 102MPH on the lower Colorado:eek: :D ---YES! where straight aways are not that long. [Note to reader location is Imperial Dam aka Hidden Shores]. This speed number is one that was obtained in a shorter distance versus having the entire lake to get to the top speed.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/KAP328/102MPH.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/KAP328/102MPH2.jpg
I think the boat has more to give as it was not maxed out. Once again running in a very conservative mode in terms of boost and programming the boat/engine is only going to get better as it loosens up and the driver learns more about the combination.
ENJOY!!!!
I believe this makes "Miss Silver Bullet" the fastest 28 Howard Sportdeck [to date].
NOTE: I won't even go into what the handheld GPS read as it was a greater number of the two.
It is important to note and keep in mind the boat still has more to give and I imagine 105MPH is not unrealistic for this boat. However, I am a patient owner and driver and realize more seat time is needed to obtain the final top end numbers before any changes are made.
I will say this at 102+MPH you run out of straight river pretty fast:D :D .
For those that are curious about the location go into Hot Boats West---Thread Hidden Shores, Martinez, Fishers---- and read what members are saying about the conditions of the lower Colorado and I quote "good for only jet boats".
Very truly yours,
KAP

HavasuHome
12-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Way to go John. I bet Mike and Gene are both smiling about this latest report on the SportDeck. Wish I could have been there to witness the run.
Bill

superduty
12-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Congrats on the trip digits.:) I hope your Turkey day was good. Curious if you slayed another buck. Anyways as for your video you know I thought it was awesome except I told you over the phone instead of writing it here. Keep working on her and I'm sure she will give you the final numbers you know she is capable of.
P.S. Let me know when your ready to send me my new Whipple Charger.:D

INSman
12-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Hello HB Members:
I think I am getting the hang of this deckboat and understanding what it likes to go fast.
Can you say 102MPH on the lower Colorado:eek: :D ---YES! where straight aways are not that long. [Note to reader location is Imperial Dam aka Hidden Shores]. This speed number is one that was obtained in a shorter distance versus having the entire lake to get to the top speed.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/KAP328/102MPH.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/KAP328/102MPH2.jpg
I think the boat has more to give as it was not maxed out. Once again running in a very conservative mode in terms of boost and programming the boat/engine is only going to get better as it loosens up and the driver learns more about the combination.
ENJOY!!!!
I believe this makes "Miss Silver Bullet" the fastest 28 Howard Sportdeck [to date].
NOTE: I won't even go into what the handheld GPS read as it was a greater number of the two.
It is important to note and keep in mind the boat still has more to give and I imagine 105MPH is not unrealistic for this boat. However, I am a patient owner and driver and realize more seat time is needed to obtain the final top end numbers before any changes are made.
I will say this at 102+MPH you run out of straight river pretty fast:D :D .
For those that are curious about the location go into Hot Boats West---Thread Hidden Shores, Martinez, Fishers---- and read what members are saying about the conditions of the lower Colorado and I quote "good for only jet boats".
Very truly yours,
KAP
Congrats John, that is haulin' the damn mail in that beautiful new boat of yours..... :eek: :D Now if we can just get Jay to get you your truck ;)

Boomer 880
12-03-2007, 07:28 PM
So 102 mph is the good news, then your insurance rates rising is the bad news:D
Great results!!!

kap
12-03-2007, 09:34 PM
So 102 mph is the good news, then your insurance rates rising is the bad news:D
Great results!!!
Thanks Boomer! favorable conditions and making use of an air entrapment hull are not listed on the application :D :D .
Thanks! hopefully you both can come down to Havasu or Mead for a three day event. I will let you drive it and then you will talk to Gary T about a new motor for your Lavey because it is a rush. Especially when everyone else is telling you it won't make the numbers.
I keep the faith :D :D .
I talked to Mr. Photoglou tonight by coincidence we share the same backgrounds. We definitely have things on the right track. I pointed out to him that you deserve some type of royalty for filling in for him during his tequila sunrise absence:) .
Once again, thank you for your help.
Well to most this milestone is not much in todays high horsepower throw cash at it mentality. However, to us it was a great accomplishment as we designed a boat/engine package that brings home the mail or delivers it which ever we prefer:) . In addition, to the fact that we made this mark with an engine [TPI848] which was not being wringed out and over revved for everything it had but rather rolling the power on and letting the whole package come together and produce great speeds at will.
Do we want more? probably--- yes! but right now I am very content with how the boat is running.
KAP
P.S. We have some more custom stuff we want to incorporate and hope it turns out real nice stay tuned.

INSman
12-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Kap
Thanks for thinking of me but neither you nor Jay owe me a red cent ....;)
This place for me is all about people helping people and meeting a few out on or around the lake. Hope you get the deal you are looking for ..... :D :D

phebus
12-04-2007, 06:25 AM
I think Howard should sponsor you. :D How often do they get a customer that wants to do everything right? Beautifull boat that was well thought out, performing incredible, and now you want to add some more custom touches?
My favorite boat for sure.

kap
12-04-2007, 08:15 AM
I think Howard should sponsor you. :D How often do they get a customer that wants to do everything right? Beautifull boat that was well thought out, performing incredible, and now you want to add some more custom touches?
My favorite boat for sure.
Wow! Phebus:
That is saying a lot coming from you and we appreciate it.
As far as sponsor--- I hope Gene Willen reads this he might appoint me as ambassador to the lower Colorado:) :D .
However, I think he understands how popular this model is [28Sportdeck]. IMO the finest single engine deck boat on the market today. This is not because we own one but a boat we can take someone out in and make a believer out of them in one ride or day which ever comes first:) .
Very truly yours,
KAP

drejustice
12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
How much gas you running through this baby? Just wondering how thirsty that size engine is with that boat?

kap
12-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Dear Dre:
Well in previous posts I indicated it is thirsty---but it kinda begs the old adage if your worrying about the fuel cost you should be on a bicycle:D .
Just kidding it is a valid question;) .
I believe the lap top said it burns about 20/25 gallons an hour at WOT or close to that number. The boat has 80 gallons total--- 40 gallons a side.
Yes! we fill it regularly with pump gas 91 octane approx. $271.00 dollars for a complete fill up:) .
Respectfully,
KAP
P.S. We have Suburban with a 8.1 liter big block and it gets 9.8 miles to the gallon so we are familiar with visiting the gas station:jawdrop: .

new2cats
12-05-2007, 06:27 AM
KAP:
Nina & I will be at DCB today (12 noon) if you are in town...love to meet you and see what you think of our graphics concept! Curious to see what Dave can "upgrade" me to this time......every time that front door bell chimes, it cost me $12,550!!!! I think they pump ether into that showroom and get your checkbook while you are floatin' around!!!!
I will PM me cell #

kap
12-05-2007, 03:33 PM
New2cats:
Wrote:
I think they pump ether into that showroom and get your checkbook while you are floatin' around!!!!
That is hilarious I think your revealing their secrets that is the only way to explain the price tags:D :D and your signature on the check/contract.
Great talking with you I can't wait to see your boat once it's polished and power installed. We are definitely going to meet up and do some boating in Mead in like March or April.
We are spending Easter in Havasu the whole week so if your available let's organize the dates. It will be a family event for all.
KAP
P.S. Next time give me some notice and you both can come by the house and see the view to the Coronado Islands----frosty beverages included.

new2cats
12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
John;
Great talking with you today...looking forward to our Family Mead trip.
The DCB pictures suck as the boat was in a "shed" and I could not get long or top shots.....pictures are in the "New DCB" thread (Cats & Tunnels).....really flashy pearl..maybe a bit too much BUT it is cool never-the-less!!!!! Certainly looks like a Breitling watch as I described to Dave and Bryan!!!
Going with a dark charcoal faux leather, soft oyster gray, burgundy welts and perforated black inserts on the interior!
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/new2cats/Picture027.jpg
One teaser shot!

Havasu_Dreamin
12-06-2007, 09:06 AM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/new2cats/Picture027.jpg
One teaser shot!
There you go...

TPI
12-06-2007, 09:36 AM
:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/BB1m.jpg

kap
12-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Hello TPI:
A cameo appearance:eek: ???
I hope and trust you are pleased with 102MPH from the TPI848/Sportdeck combo. as people said it would not happen. Remember the handheld GPS had a different number:idea: . I believe and have faith this current number will be improved upon. I just need to find some longer stretchs of water and the right conditions to "air it out" :D.
I recall a few times out it was glassy and sticky---- I had a hard/difficult time getting the boat to 90MPH in those conditions. Water conditions are crucial to getting the most out of the boat in terms of top speed.
TPI---Keep in mind--- I have only 19 hours with this combination and pulling triple digits it's a green smiley face kinda thing:D . The 848 shows even greater promise as the settings are conservative. This was done so no one can say I'm wringing out the motor or using 5miles of lake or river to get the speed. Not to mention allowing the engine to slowly give up the power versus hammering it while it is still brand new. This leads me to trust and believe the motor still has more to give me up top--- not a lot but somemore.
This with no prop change whatsoever nice huh!
KAP

new2cats
12-06-2007, 06:39 PM
:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/BB1m.jpg
Gary, I know, I know..I am boring!!!!;)

BarryMac
12-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Kap, your boat is absolutely beautiful, one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It has to be one of the fastest on the lower river, you're gonna make those boys in there Blue and Yellow 26 Daytona cry when they see you coming :D. I am looking forward to next summer, can't wait to see it in person... BTW, can I park my little 21' Jet by you? I don't want to hurt your image... :) Congrats again to you and your family, you definitely understand what boating is about...

kap
12-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Kap, your boat is absolutely beautiful, one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It has to be one of the fastest on the lower river, you're gonna make those boys in there Blue and Yellow 26 Daytona cry when they see you coming :D. I am looking forward to next summer, can't wait to see it in person... BTW, can I park my little 21' Jet by you? I don't want to hurt your image... :) Congrats again to you and your family, you definitely understand what boating is about...
Hello BarryMac:
Thanks you are way to kind. We appreciate the comps:) . Oh! you don't know how much I was laughing about the Daytona comment.
Those guys were not courteous boaters to say the least:( .
We look forward to next summer as well and we expect all the little bugs to be worked out and everything running smoothly.
As far as your 21 jet and parking---- there is no image to concern yourself with----Our first boat was a 15foot Glastron with a small Johnson outboard cruising out of Senator's wash---while dry camping the weekend in 110 degree heat---and no AC. It was fun then and still fun now albeit on a different level:) .
Hope you come by and introduce yourself we are virtually on the water every weekend. We are leaving in the afternoon headed down--- why stay in Diego were it's raining.
Very truly yours,
KAP

drejustice
12-07-2007, 09:33 AM
I believe the lap top said it burns about 20/25 gallons an hour at WOT or close to that number. The boat has 80 gallons total--- 40 gallons a side.
Yes! we fill it regularly with pump gas 91 octane approx. $271.00 dollars for a complete fill up:) .
I don't think that's really that bad at all especially for WOT and the speeds your getting.
To put in perspective, our cruiser burns about 11-12 gph per engine at Cruise which is a roaring 14.1 knots :D which is about the same total consumption which we consider good for something the size that it is.

It's Only Money
12-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Mr. Kap...
You fuel usage numbers sound a little off...my good friend's relatively stock Mercury Racing 525HP in a similar sized boat burns about 43 GPH at WOT and 20-25 at cruise of about 45-50 MPH according to the Mercury Smartcraft display. It is very accurate for fuel consumption so I'd think it was accurate for flow. I'd be curious which number is more accurate.

FlyingRhino
12-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Kap;
Just noticed something about the photo of the speedo.
Tell Laura she has sexy fingers.
Don

kap
12-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Mr. Kap...
You fuel usage numbers sound a little off...my good friend's relatively stock Mercury Racing 525HP in a similar sized boat burns about 43 GPH at WOT and 20-25 at cruise of about 45-50 MPH according to the Mercury Smartcraft display. It is very accurate for fuel consumption so I'd think it was accurate for flow. I'd be curious which number is more accurate.
Hello "It's Only Money"
Your right I may be off---as I am recalling the laptop numbers while we were tuning the motor [over two months ago]. I will check with Gary and confirm the numbers of fuel usage per hour. I believe that is a good question and one--- I should know off the top of my head rather than what I recall--- but this motor did not come with a manual:D .
The Mercury Smartcraft stuff is nice--- it is reading it while on the boat and as you cruise. Keep in mind I do not have a Smartcraft screen:( . The race teams use them so I would assume they are very accurate.
I will say this it does like to drink fuel--- the lap top will give you an approximate number at a particular RPM.
I can say the boat was topped out on fuel when I ran that speed it would be nice to try a speed run with maybe 30gallons of fuel versus 75-80 gallons.
One gallon of fuel weighs between 5.8 to 6.5 pounds--- lets take 6.00lbs per gallon thats 300lbs for the other 50 gallons we don't need :D :D .
I can't wait for better weather:) after the Holidays.
Sincerely,
KAP

kap
12-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Hello "Its Only Money":
I have the low down on the gas consumption.
TPI wrote the following which I believe is the case:
At WOT with a TPI848. You could easily burn through well OVER 100 gallons of fuel. In a car, it would be much much less, but in these boats, they really burn some fuel because of the load. At cruising speeds 3500-4000,,,with the boat free, you should be at approx 35/hr, from what I have seen. Thank goodness guys dont start them up and hold them WOT for an hour. Their gas cards would be maxed out.
I stand corrected by ten gallons an hour---- believe me during the excitement and happiness:) it is hard to keep all the figures straight.
Nevertheless, it was a valid question one--- which I should know--- thank you! I also knew and understood that performance racing engines are not rated for fuel consumption when pushed to perform in the upper levels of top speed.
Which then leads me to doubt the following statement is also incorrect.
Its Only Money wrote:
A stock Mercury Racing 525HP in a similar sized boat burns about 43 GPH at WOT
Interesting, as I would love to see the verification data for that statement. As I do not believe Mercury posts their fuel consumption on their racing products. Even if they did which they do not--- the figure would change depending on the load, boat type and other variables.
Respectfully,
KAP

INSman
12-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Looks like Jay is back up to full speed, any luck on your new truck purchase ??

new2cats
12-10-2007, 07:34 PM
I can solve these equations:
ALL OUR BOATS BURN A SH*TLOAD OF FUEL, ARE A WASTE OF CASH AND THE EARTH'S RESOURCES.........BUT WE LOVE 'EM RIGHT!!!!!!!!:D
VIVA OPEC!!!:devil: ;)

kap
12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Commentary:
The boat is at Howard right now for some custom touches to the trailer and then going to TPI for 20 hour service.
It is important to note:
The rigging performed by Howard's rigger Bill B. was immaculate. The only issues were those created by the stereo people which Bill B. corrected to his satisfaction.
Thought! I would post some photos of custom touches--- the billet glove box/stereo enclosure and helm all done by Bill B. a real awesome job.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/KAP328/RiggingHelm.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/KAP328/RiggingGloveBox.jpg
The stereo in the glove box was a great idea:D ---as it keeps everything dry and I-Pod safe.
Once again thank you to everyone at Howard--- Mike, Gene, Billy B., Paco and many others. A big thanks to TPI---Gary T. and the brothers Aaron/Jason at Max Machine Worx's. We would also like to thank Livingston Custom trailers for building us an awesome trailer.
I hope to have some new speed numbers after the Holidays.
Very truly yours,
KAP
P.S. If I forgot someone it was not intentional:) .