10-06-2007, 12:37 AM
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/article/8695

Dan Lorenze
10-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Wow......

YeLLowBoaT
10-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Damn.
For awhile there he was spending more time in the air then he was in the water.

phebus
10-06-2007, 07:54 AM
They were way out of shape long before he stuffed it. A little awareness would have gone a long way, and prevented injuries and damage.

Liquid Courage
10-06-2007, 08:08 AM
I read through most of the comments on that link. People are f*ckin' clueless. There's one thing that would've prevented that accident. MORE TAB. Or at least some tab. Like Phebus said, boat was way out of shape before the 'stuff'.
Take if from someone that has experience airing a boat out with out enough tab (refer to my avatar). Running the tabs down a bit makes a huge diffence in the ocean swell.
These two pics are of us at the SCOPE video run. first pic was at the beginning when I had the tabs down more and drives in. I decided to loosen the boat up a bit for the video and the next pic is the result of that.
Of course I have about 4k+ lbs on that sunsation.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40621&stc=1&d=1191686799
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40623&stc=1&d=1191686799

BDMar
10-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Perfect example of a person driving beyond his abilities.

IDRPSTF
10-06-2007, 08:41 AM
I love how the guy drives the boat all wrong, almost kills his friends, and then comes out as the offshore powerboat voice of reason and wise old owl by telling the news that things like this just happen.
Someone point out the part of the article where he says "I made a rookie mistake trying to showboat for the camera and now two of my friends will forever walk with a limp, everyone insurance will go up, the run will probably not be held next year all because I couldnt find the TAB buttons or didnt know what they did"
Aint no cure for stupid
At least when Tank aired his boat out he had an idea of what he was about to do and didnt trip the boat...

PHOTOGLOU
10-06-2007, 08:59 AM
I read through most of the comments on that link. People are f*ckin' clueless. There's one thing that would've prevented that accident. MORE TAB. Or at least some tab. Like Phebus said, boat was way out of shape before the 'stuff'.
Take if from someone that has experience airing a boat out with out enough tab (refer to my avatar). Running the tabs down a bit makes a huge diffence in the ocean swell.
These two pics are of us at the SCOPE video run. first pic was at the beginning when I had the tabs down more and drives in. I decided to loosen the boat up a bit for the video and the next pic is the result of that.
Of course I have about 4k+ lbs on that sunsation.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40621&stc=1&d=1191686799
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40623&stc=1&d=1191686799
Well I'm right there with you... If you look at the picture in my Sig you will see excessive bow lift, then look at the video to the left you will see that I have learned alittle in 3 years too. Lucky I learned the easy way...

Liquid Courage
10-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Well I'm right there with you... If you look at the picture in my Sig you will see excessive bow lift, then look at the video to the left you will see that I have learned alittle in 3 years too. Lucky I learned the easy way...
yea, I see so many people want to get the extra few mph out of their boats so they trim it up. And a lot of people come from smaller boats where you dont use the tabs much (if at all) so when you get into a bigger boat you're used to running it the way you ran the little boat. Just cant do that when theres some bigger rolling swells or else you land down the back side of one swell and launch like a ramp like I did in that 2nd pic!:D

PHOTOGLOU
10-07-2007, 09:55 AM
yea, I see so many people want to get the extra few mph out of their boats so they trim it up. And a lot of people come from smaller boats where you dont use the tabs much (if at all) so when you get into a bigger boat you're used to running it the way you ran the little boat. Just cant do that when theres some bigger rolling swells or else you land down the back side of one swell and launch like a ramp like I did in that 2nd pic!:D
As I have found over the years in the Ocean you will actually go faster with more tab as the boat and props stay in the water.... Of course you have to find the line BUT there is a big difference in Tab and drive position between lake and ocean...

scarabrick2
10-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Good info posted.
I Ran a 38 kevlar scarab with triple outboards on back for the NAVY for many yrs. I had NO tabs on the boat. I really never had a lot of positive trim in the outboards. Running in the ocean in sea states as great as 3 even 4 its better to run then netural or negative trim for the ride. Like jay said, your NOT going faster when your flying out of the water. don't really need to over trim. but thats just me.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-07-2007, 11:36 AM
all I can saw is wow

ColeTR2
10-07-2007, 02:56 PM
People are f*ckin' clueless.
Yep like airing out a boat like this.... with all these people onboard.... none of them waring lifejackets. Same with the people on video no lifejackets... lucky no one got pitched out. Clueless Yep!

Liquid Courage
10-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Yep like airing out a boat like this.... with all these people onboard.... none of them waring lifejackets. Same with the people on video no lifejackets... lucky no one got pitched out. Clueless Yep!
I knew that was coming and I hope you're joking....Go buy the video. Pic looks way worse than it actually was. and the landing wasn't bad and def. nothing even close to that Sunsation thus the "I have 4 thousand more lbs on the sunsation" comment.
All on board that day were offered life vests if they wanted. I don't run with life jackets unless I'm in huge water and worried about going swimming. Not popular opinion with a lot of people but it's a personal preference. I see a lot of preaching about wearing life vests but RARELY see anyone wearing them. Agree or disagree it's a choice I'm still allowed to make not being mandated by the govt. I do wear my seat belt and I wear a helmet when riding the harley in Cal. But when I'm in Hawaii I don't wear a helmet, another personal choice.
Maybe you didn't get the point of my post.....I agree it wasnt the prudent way to trim MY BOAT and was eating a little humble pie....When I said clueless I was refering to people on the linked blog as being clueless about the lack of comments made about trimming THAT boat. Not a reference to the driver of the boat. I have a little more respect than that. Mistakes happen.
But please dont try to enforce your opinions on others about wearing life vests.... Thanks.

prkr247
10-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Wow what video...I would have love to been that passenger!!