PDA

View Full Version : Flatbottom Jet questions.

FlatJet
05-16-2002, 12:11 AM
I just got a hold of a Stevens flatbottom boat, and I have a 454 Chevrolet with a roller rocker cam, Rewarder over the transom style headers, Dooley oil pan and a bunch of other stuff and it came with a Aggressor jet drive that is complete.
I have a couple of questions for you guys.
1) how far back should I mount the jet in this hull from the transom
2) can I do a set back pump where the hole is outside the boat
3) what can I expect for a top speed with this combo with 500 horses.
4) how do I know what size hole to cut for the jet?
Any help would be helpful to me. Thnaks

jweeks123
05-16-2002, 12:44 AM
Why don't you call the Aggressor jet company?

old rigger
05-16-2002, 06:07 AM
flat jet,
Are you converting a V-drive hull to a jet? I know Stevens did some jets, but if you are, make sure you run the keel fins. Not in the location they are in for the v-drive, but farther back. They're too far forward, and will cause the thing to bow steer.
If you don't run them, or one of them, you're gonna need lots of water to turn that baby at speed.
Personaly, I'd try to set the pump back as far as I could. At least to get the hand hole outside. Buddy of mine had an old Eliminator flat jet with the pump in the stock location. It was a turd.

HBjet
05-16-2002, 09:45 AM
Hey FlatJet! welcome to the boards. I was wondering though, why would you want to run a jet in a flat? You might want to either use the flat hull for a prop and sell the pump or sell the hull (or trade) for a hull already cut and designed for a pump. I think your going to be kicking yourself in the ass later down the road.
Now, there is a character who runs a jet hydro here, maybe you two can pair up...
HBjet

AGGRESSOR JETS
05-16-2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by FlatJet:
I just got a hold of a Stevens flatbottom boat, and I have a 454 Chevrolet with a roller rocker cam, Rewarder over the transom style headers, Dooley oil pan and a bunch of other stuff and it came with a Aggressor jet drive that is complete.
I have a couple of questions for you guys.
1) how far back should I mount the jet in this hull from the transom
2) can I do a set back pump where the hole is outside the boat
3) what can I expect for a top speed with this combo with 500 horses.
4) how do I know what size hole to cut for the jet?
Any help would be helpful to me. ThnaksIf she is a true flat you are going into lots of problems. Can be overcome only in part. You need to talk to McClure,Papp, Brock. Some of the setup people.
Jets like keels for load not flats or delta flats. Load is your big problem,+ turns. I seen Old Rigger had some input, you might try to contact him. Its been done! Good Luck- Dave.