PDA

View Full Version : Engine life on Merc 525 EFI & 600 SCI??

Swoop
10-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Anyone have a estimated guess?

GHT
10-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Depend on the driver. You should get around 500 hours on a well kept 525 and slighly less on the 600 due to the SC. Both are very good turn key motors, but don't blow one the cost is very good too.:D

Swoop
10-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Great, thanks!

HemiDude
10-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Depends how heavy your foot is and how fat your wallet is (for Maintenance)...:idea:

I DIG IT !
10-06-2007, 11:45 PM
thats every thing thought!!!

hkunz
10-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Depends how heavy your foot is and how fat your wallet is (for Maintenance)...:idea:
So doing the maintenence makes themm last longer?? LOL The 50 hour service on my SCi/XR is going to be about $300, not counting pickup and delivery. That's a minimal (in my experience) service, oil changes and inspections, according to what the Merc book says, so if they find anything in all the inspections, there will be additional cost. The supercharger belt on my Mini was $32, I'm just guessing that the 600's will be well over that.
I heard of a Mercury Racing program that swapped out the engine/drive for a rebuild at 100 hours for megabucks. I thought that was rather low hours for a rebuild.

HPBoats83
10-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I've heard of the same "re-fresh" program that you are talking about but I don't know if they do it on the smaller motors like you are talking about. I thought they did it on the 1200, 1075, and 850. I maybe totally wrong and it would be cool if they had that program on all motors. The other thing that would be cool to know is what happens when a 525 / 600 get's to 500 hours? Do you take the motor apart and re-sleeve it or bore it out and how much would it have to have like a certified Merc shop basically rebuild it. But if they re-built it it wouldn't really be a 525 or a 600 anymore because they would have to bore it out, is that right?

CornWater
10-07-2007, 07:43 AM
...I heard of a Mercury Racing program that swapped out the engine/drive for a rebuild at 100 hours for megabucks. I thought that was rather low hours for a rebuild.
That's the 1050, whole different ball game.

Havasu Hangin'
10-07-2007, 07:57 AM
That's the 1050, whole different ball game.
Or was that the 1075? :idea:

CornWater
10-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Or was that the 1075? :idea:
:D :D

Not So Fast
10-07-2007, 10:22 AM
So doing the maintenence makes themm last longer?? LOL The 50 hour service on my SCi/XR is going to be about $300, not counting pickup and delivery. That's a minimal (in my experience) service, oil changes and inspections, according to what the Merc book says, so if they find anything in all the inspections, there will be additional cost. The supercharger belt on my Mini was $32, I'm just guessing that the 600's will be well over that.
I heard of a Mercury Racing program that swapped out the engine/drive for a rebuild at 100 hours for megabucks. I thought that was rather low hours for a rebuild.
I think the norm is a 20 hour service (complete with a drive alignment and impeller when new, avg cost around $600) that is probably your most important service then an oil and filter change at every 25 hrs or so if you use it that much in a year. Mine gets a complete service (20 hour type) every year period, but then thats just me.
I dont know where all of these so called 30, 40, 50, hr service time periods come from, does Merc say it?? And you say its basically an oil change and inspection for $300:idea: Maybe your 600 is different:idea: NSF

brianthomas
10-07-2007, 05:16 PM
How many hours are they good for? We only get to boat 6 months out of the year so we only put on maybe 200 hours in a good year. Lots of years 150, some even a little less. How many hours do you guys put on where you have no snow? I am running Crusader 496 cu. in. Chevys and they are in a very large and heavy boat. I had my sights set on 2,500 hours before opening them up but it sees extremely heavy loads at over 4,000 rpms for most of the hours.
Most of the people at our marina say they rarely see an engine worn out but instead is lunched by bad manifolds or tulip a valve due to high rpm. Seems the rings and bearings are the very least of the concern. With the new coated pistons there is little to worry about in the cylinders.
We run our engines hard with heavy loads so we use synthetic oils and filters changing every 100 hours. I know our season is only half as long but we think this is pretty good use.

BajaMike
10-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Depend on the driver. You should get around 500 hours on a well kept 525 and slighly less on the 600 due to the SC. Both are very good turn key motors, but don't blow one the cost is very good too.:D
If the boat is properly propped and geared, and you drive conservatively, and don't regularly over load or over stress the engine, and maintain it properly, there is no reason you couldn't get 800 to 1000 hours on either engine.
The thing is, most people have their boats over-propped or under geared (or both) to get max speed, and drive wide open all the time......you do that, it's not going to last.
:idea:

HPBoats83
10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
We run our engines hard with heavy loads so we use synthetic oils and filters changing every 100 hours. I know our season is only half as long but we think this is pretty good use.[/QUOTE]
That's kind of a long time to go on an oil change in a boat. I run the Royal Purple (full synthetic) and still change it every 20ish hours. I run the Merc Synthetic in my Volvo drive and change that when I change my engine oil at 20ish hours and stick the alignment tool in their just to make sure all is good.
James

Throttle
10-07-2007, 07:42 PM
forever if you dont use em...

brianthomas
10-08-2007, 03:13 AM
We run our engines hard with heavy loads so we use synthetic oils and filters changing every 100 hours. I know our season is only half as long but we think this is pretty good use.
That's kind of a long time to go on an oil change in a boat. I run the Royal Purple (full synthetic) and still change it every 20ish hours. I run the Merc Synthetic in my Volvo drive and change that when I change my engine oil at 20ish hours and stick the alignment tool in their just to make sure all is good.
James[/QUOTE]
The 100 hr. interval is dictated strictly by oil analysis. I don't like to cut it really close but 100 hrs. gives a really good clean analysis. It's really the best way to know the health and longevity of an engine that gets beat pretty hard.

hkunz
10-08-2007, 08:47 PM
The book that came with the boat that says Mercury Racing on it lays out a maintenance schedule just like they do for cars. I know many folks don't read the books, but our says 25 hour service, oil changes, inspections, etc. Then, at 50, 75, and so on. That's 25 hours between oil changes.
With our 6.2 in the Cheetah, we just got them done once a year around Christmas (since we knew were weren't going to be using the boat then). No book came with that boat.

Kilrtoy
10-08-2007, 08:56 PM
The thing is, most people drive wide open all the time......you do that, it's not going to last.
:idea:
A little cut and paste
OUTBOARDS LOVE THAT STYLE

paradigm shift
10-08-2007, 09:15 PM
How many hours are they good for? We only get to boat 6 months out of the year so we only put on maybe 200 hours in a good year. Lots of years 150, some even a little less. How many hours do you guys put on where you have no snow? I am running Crusader 496 cu. in. Chevys and they are in a very large and heavy boat. I had my sights set on 2,500 hours before opening them up but it sees extremely heavy loads at over 4,000 rpms for most of the hours.
Most of the people at our marina say they rarely see an engine worn out but instead is lunched by bad manifolds or tulip a valve due to high rpm. Seems the rings and bearings are the very least of the concern. With the new coated pistons there is little to worry about in the cylinders.
Good info and I think accurate but there is a pretty big difference running 4000 rpm vs 5300 - 5400 especially with the added lift on cams run in 525 and 600 sci. Bottom ends with regular maintenance will run a while but the weak link in the higher HP - RPM motors is the valve train. I have heard of 502 mpi running that many hours but never a 500hp or 525. I would like to know if they are out there. :)

WishIknew
10-08-2007, 09:39 PM
The book that came with the boat that says Mercury Racing on it lays out a maintenance schedule just like they do for cars. I know many folks don't read the books, but our says 25 hour service, oil changes, inspections, etc. Then, at 50, 75, and so on. That's 25 hours between oil changes.
With our 6.2 in the Cheetah, we just got them done once a year around Christmas (since we knew were weren't going to be using the boat then). No book came with that boat.
Lotta drywall screws did !!!!!:eek: :eek:

HPBoats83
10-08-2007, 09:42 PM
James
The 100 hr. interval is dictated strictly by oil analysis. I don't like to cut it really close but 100 hrs. gives a really good clean analysis. It's really the best way to know the health and longevity of an engine that gets beat pretty hard.[/QUOTE]
How do you do an oil analasys? What does that cost?

HEDJUG
10-09-2007, 04:11 AM
There is a Donzi in our marina with a pair of 525's. The driver had two speeds, docking speed & WOT. Both engines popped before 500 hours. I don't know what failed, but I can find out.

XTRM22
10-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Good info and I think accurate but there is a pretty big difference running 4000 rpm vs 5300 - 5400 especially with the added lift on cams run in 525 and 600 sci. Bottom ends with regular maintenance will run a while but the weak link in the higher HP - RPM motors is the valve train. I have heard of 502 mpi running that many hours but never a 500hp or 525. I would like to know if they are out there. :)
Hey Andy, long time no see! how many hours were on Pams motor (the 502) before you went through it? My little 454 turned 602 hours this weekend, now it's just become a challenge to see how long it will last!
Chuck

BadKachina
10-09-2007, 06:30 AM
I have heard of 502 mpi running that many hours but never a 500hp or 525. I would like to know if they are out there. :)
I agree. I've seen and known many people with 500 hp's and 500 efi's break around 250/300 hours. It's almost always the valve train, but I've also seen burnt pistons and blown head gaskets. I think the fuel system should be gone too as well, injectors should be cleaned and tested and the fuel pump should be replaced. Nobody wants to do maintenance until the motor comes apart. If it were me, @ 250 hours or so I would pull the heads, and go through them along with doing the fuel system. Black motors seem to run forever, but the fuel system should still be kept up on. Riser gaskets should also be changed every couple of years, it's cheap insurance. People wouldn't believe what a leaking riser gasket will do to a motor.

havaduner
10-09-2007, 07:49 AM
forever if you dont use em...
I guess that would count you out on that one huh?? :D

airpacker
10-09-2007, 08:02 AM
pulled my 500efi apart at 250 hrs. Both heads were cracked all over the place. Guides were worn, springs were soft. Replaced em with aluminums and cometic head gaskets because the OE gaskets were actually starting to leak between 3 and 5 and 4 and 6. If I had waited, the block would have been scrap due to burn through at the head gaskets. I also replace the lifters at the same time.
Ran her to 404 hrs and now its apart for a full rebuild. The pistons were getting a little sloppy in the bores at that time.
I run it hard. Lots of hrs at 5000rpm or better. Mobil 1 20w50 every 20hrs from new.

hkunz
10-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Lotta drywall screws did !!!!!:eek: :eek:
Hey, but they're stainless screws!:)

hkunz
10-09-2007, 09:01 AM
I agree. I've seen and known many people with 500 hp's and 500 efi's break around 250/300 hours. It's almost always the valve train, but I've also seen burnt pistons and blown head gaskets. I think the fuel system should be gone too as well, injectors should be cleaned and tested and the fuel pump should be replaced. Nobody wants to do maintenance until the motor comes apart. If it were me, @ 250 hours or so I would pull the heads, and go through them along with doing the fuel system. Black motors seem to run forever, but the fuel system should still be kept up on. Riser gaskets should also be changed every couple of years, it's cheap insurance. People wouldn't believe what a leaking riser gasket will do to a motor.
Even our 6.2 needed riser gaskets at 100 hours. :( Then the shop forgot to tighten the hose clamps, so we had water everywhere:mad: Luckily I carry a small variety of hand tools.
Good ideas on maint - I'd rather spend a little now than a lot later.

dunaholic
10-09-2007, 09:10 AM
I heard that neither of these motors will last if your spinning out in the reeds.

Keith E. Sayre
10-09-2007, 09:38 AM
I know a guy that had a 28 Magic cat bought in 2001 with a 500EFI in it.
He put over 800 hours on it without a problem, took the engine out and sold
it to another guy with a 30 Eliminator Eagle. Still in the boat and that boat
has 2 1/2 seasons on it too. I also know several guys with 400 plus hours
on their 525's without problems. I know a guy with a whippled HP500EFI with
over 500 hours on it with no problems.
I believe that it has to do with how you maintain it and how you drive it.
Keith Sayre

brianthomas
10-09-2007, 09:53 AM
The 100 hr. interval is dictated strictly by oil analysis. I don't like to cut it really close but 100 hrs. gives a really good clean analysis. It's really the best way to know the health and longevity of an engine that gets beat pretty hard.
How do you do an oil analasys? What does that cost?[/QUOTE]
NAPA has a kit, you mail it in with $20 and get a full report back. Also google oil analysis for other companys.

hkunz
10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
I know a guy that had a 28 Magic cat bought in 2001 with a 500EFI in it.
He put over 800 hours on it without a problem, took the engine out and sold
it to another guy with a 30 Eliminator Eagle. Still in the boat and that boat
has 2 1/2 seasons on it too. I also know several guys with 400 plus hours
on their 525's without problems. I know a guy with a whippled HP500EFI with
over 500 hours on it with no problems.
I believe that it has to do with how you maintain it and how you drive it.
Keith Sayre
Is there a trend that you've seen that these engines follow? Synthetic oil, or regular maintnance following the Merc schedule, etc.? You say "how they drive it". Not running at max RPM, running at no more than 80% of max, no skiers, etc.?

Keith E. Sayre
10-09-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm just guessing about this part, but I'm convinced that max rpm and banging
the rev limiter for more than just a few seconds has to be bad. As for oil,
No I've seen no pattern other than those that change it often seem to be
much better than those that don't. pretty simple.
Keith Sayre

It's Only Money
10-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I was talking to a Mercury Racing rep at the boat show and he said that BOTH the 525 and the 600 should have periodic leak-down testing done beginning at 200 hrs. and inspection of the valve springs after 250 hrs.