PDA

View Full Version : great oil - JG??

jwbbuck
05-20-2002, 03:46 AM
Sorry - I still don't get it.
Where do I need to add some gear oil to my Berkley JG? The zerk fitting makes it easy to see where to squeeze a little in, but apparently I need something equally as obvious to know where to put the gear oil.

HammerDown
05-20-2002, 06:16 AM
Ya answered your own question...remove both fittings, squeeze in one hole till it flows out the other. Now if it dosent flow out the oppisite hole, your bowl seal may have came out.

apollo74
05-20-2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by HammerDown:
Ya answered your own question...remove both fittings, squeeze in one hole till it flows out the other. Now if it dosent flow out the oppisite hole, your bowl seal may have came out.
when i put gear oil in mine the oil coming out the other side is milky colored-do i have to pump in gear oil until it runs clear? or just make sure that its full and has no water in the cavity? thanks again

Hotcrusader76
05-20-2002, 08:29 AM
I had the same problem...I can't get the oil to go inside...It just flows back out the hole that I put it in...What's up with this?
I have a 12JG as well! What am I doing wrong? and what weight should I be using?

jet4fun
05-20-2002, 11:09 AM
ok, another dumb question ive been meaning to ask for a long time, i have a dominator bowl, i dont have those holes like a berkeley, how do i oil mine? or do i not have to?

Bense468
05-20-2002, 11:53 AM
You don't oil dom's

rivercrazy
05-20-2002, 12:38 PM
Doms = Grease. There should be 2 zircs. One inside the bowl and one on the front of the pump just above the intake. Use a quality synthetic grease designed for marine use. I like NEOS

HammerDown
05-20-2002, 04:03 PM
I belive some Dominator pumps use a water lubed tail bearing...look into that!
And yes, just purge the milky oil out till it runs clean...don't get to nuts about the milky oil. I've put a new seal in and after a couple trips out and there's still water mixing in. Just make sure the bowl holds some oil!....I usually flush mine every 3-4'th trip out.

apollo74
05-20-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown:
I belive some Dominator pumps use a water lubed tail bearing...look into that!
And yes, just purge the milky oil out till it runs clean...don't get to nuts about the milky oil. I've put a new seal in and after a couple trips out and there's still water mixing in. Just make sure the bowl holds some oil!....I usually flush mine every 3-4'th trip out.
thanks hammer down thats exactly what i needed to know. sometimes all the little stuff never gets asked and in my mind maintenace is the most important thing on a boat.