PDA

View Full Version : 2002 1/2ton towing question

n8dawg
10-07-2007, 10:26 AM
We have a 2002 Chevy 5.3 auto, 2wd. We really want to get a toyhauler for this riding season. How big or what would be a good size hauler to get?

uLtRADeNniS
10-07-2007, 11:36 AM
My buddy Pulls a Super Light Weekend Warrior with a 2003 5.3 1/2 ton Suburban. He has air bagged the rear and and is running an Electronic Brake Controller(a must). With the trailer full of water, gas a Rhino, Quad and two 50's... It pulls ok. I know he's wishing on shooting stars the GM will release a Diesel Burb in the US.
Here is what he has....
http://www.warriormfg.com/8sslite.html

Schiada Time
10-07-2007, 05:20 PM
I would say not over a 20 footer and definitely hook up an electric trailer brake controlller on the truck and run load bags on the rear.

curtis73
10-08-2007, 01:54 AM
Try to fight the urge to use trailer GVW to determine your toy box. The real killer is length. You're towing a billboard, and a 1/2 ton isn't set up to resist sway like a heavier truck is; E-range tires, stiffer springs, stiffer frame, etc.
I haven't towed with a chevy half-ton that new so I can't say how much length you can effectively do. I towed a 26' TT with an 88 1/2 ton and it did OK, but I had upgraded the truck with E-range tires and helper springs.
The other thing you need to consider is the length of the truck. Is it ext cab? crew cab? standard cab shortbed? The longer the better. The more distance you have between the front and rear tires means the LESS leverage the trailer has on you.
If you're just going to tow 100 miles or so, don't stress as much, but I can tell you (after living in an RV for nearly 13 years of my life) that overkill is the key. Always have more truck than you need. It makes the difference between showing up at your destination ready to use the toys and showing up yelling at the kids with white knuckles and needing a nap. Really.

sigepmock
10-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Take a look at the Weekend Warrior Superlights and Megalights. I have a good friend that tows w/an older Tundra. He got a 21 foot WW Superlight and it tows well. I echo what has already been said about adding helper air bags to the rear, like Air Ride or Firestone offer, also the brake controller is a must. The other item I would recommend is a good load leveling hitch with a sway control. Other than that don't overload the trailer, make sure to place the weight towards the front of the trailer and over all take it easy when towing. Most people get in trouble when they are pushing the limits.
Chris

n8dawg
10-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks alot guys, that was alot of help!
My truck is a extra cab, completley stock, but it sounds like I have a decent base to work with.
Thanks again
Nate

uLtRADeNniS
10-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks alot guys, that was alot of help!
My truck is a extra cab, completley stock, but it sounds like I have a decent base to work with.
Thanks again
Nate
Have you just considered buying a new truck? Most people that buy weekend warriors with their current 1/2 ton end up buying bigger the following season.

79Challenger
10-09-2007, 02:56 PM
I tow a 22. Full tanks, 2 quads, and a rhino with an '04 2wd Ram Hemi. Wind can be killer. Tighten up the equalizer and keep it under 60. Bags may help with the sway also. Brake controller is a given.
I have the most trouble once I have reached the dunes and have to be towed off of the road to finish the circle of trailers.
First and last 2wd.

n8dawg
10-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Have you just considered buying a new truck? Most people that buy weekend warriors with their current 1/2 ton end up buying bigger the following season.
A toy hauler was not in my mind when I bought the truck. I got a smoking deal on it. A 2002 extra cab LT 2wd loaded with leather and everything! Under 50,000 miles for a steal of a price!
But now that you mention it, when it comes time to get a toy hauler I will for sure concider upgrading my truck to a 3/4ton diesel 4x4.

Schiada Time
10-12-2007, 07:49 PM
N8dawg- I have a '99 3/4 ton crew cab Chevy for sale.
5.7-liter 350
Lifted-Fabtech 7.5
Geared-4.56 gears-Truetrac limited slip
35-inch Nitto all terrains
17-inch chrome Weld Dune 8 wheels
Atlas rear leaf springs
electric steps
custom built 4L80-E Trans
14-bolt 9.5-inch diff
larger volume diff cover
large volume trans pan
upgraded brakes
Rear tow bag set-up with on board compressor-in cab controls
on board air system with compressor, tank, air chuck, and air line
custom electric drop down steps
full custom two-tone paint
headers, exhaust, intake, programmer
Gaylord tonneau
Line-x bedliner
Truck is set-up and ready to tow
714-276-5268 Travis

Josh4Repos
10-30-2007, 03:14 PM
My buddy Pulls a Super Light Weekend Warrior with a 2003 5.3 1/2 ton Suburban. He has air bagged the rear and and is running an Electronic Brake Controller(a must). With the trailer full of water, gas a Rhino, Quad and two 50's... It pulls ok. I know he's wishing on shooting stars the GM will release a Diesel Burb in the US.
Here is what he has....
http://www.warriormfg.com/8sslite.html
I actually saw a 2500 Burb in Parker that had the Duramax/Allison badge on it. I tried to find the owner, but couldn't. i could not confirm whether it was or wasn't a diesel.
I don't know why Chevy doesn't jump on this oppurtunity. It only makes sense.

n8dawg
10-31-2007, 06:39 PM
I actually saw a 2500 Burb in Parker that had the Duramax/Allison badge on it. I tried to find the owner, but couldn't. i could not confirm whether it was or wasn't a diesel.
I don't know why Chevy doesn't jump on this oppurtunity. It only makes sense.
That would be bad ass!