PDA

View Full Version : Rhinos and small kids as passengers in Havasu

Magic34
10-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Does anyone have an issue with local law enforecement with their smaller kids in the Rhino, like in the back seat?
My daughter is 3 1/2 years old and I have 4 point belts in the back seat for her. Does law enforement find that sufficient?
Thanks

uLtRADeNniS
10-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Does anyone have an issue with local law enforecement with their smaller kids in the Rhino, like in the back seat?
My daughter is 3 1/2 years old and I have 4 point belts in the back seat for her. Does law enforement find that sufficient?
Thanks
I see a lot of people that will put a car seat in the Rhino...Never heard of someone having a problem.

Jyruiz
10-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Yup, always see them with carseats.

BoatPI
10-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Would you truly consider placing a child in the back of a Rhino with NO crash protection, on the street with blue hairs, twekers, and some drunks?????

Ziggy
10-08-2007, 07:59 AM
It's cool to see the mom's and dad's cruising with the kids all strapped in but it still scares the crap out of me thinking if some idiot driver hits them. I live near a stop sign so I see alot of stupid drivers approach and leave the stop, some have blown right through it:eek: :rolleyes:

sigepmock
10-08-2007, 08:02 AM
We've always used a car seat in the back with Lauren and never had a problem with the cops, but she's gotten so big that with the car seat it puts her head too close to the roof now. We just got one of the PRP kids seats that goes on top of the back seat and works with the 5 point seat belts, keeps her in a better position than the car seat ever did. I'm sure an officer of the law could find a problem with it if they wanted. We're heading out this next weekend to try it out in Havasu for the first time.....I guess I'll let you know how it works out :)
Chris

Magic34
10-08-2007, 08:04 AM
We've always used a car seat in the back with Lauren and never had a problem with the cops, but she's gotten so big that with the car seat it puts her head too close to the roof now. We just got one of the PRP kids seats that goes on top of the back seat and works with the 5 point seat belts, keeps her in a better position than the car seat ever did. I'm sure an officer of the law could find a problem with it if they wanted. We're heading out this next weekend to try it out in Havasu for the first time.....I guess I'll let you know how it works out :)
Chris
Have a link for that?

LAFD
10-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Have a link for that?
so whats with the low bridges sucks??? doesnt sound good.

Brewzed
10-08-2007, 08:14 AM
With kids in the back, I would also suggest the Simpson nets or mesh to go around the back of the cage. Keeps their little arms and legs inside the cage. They also make a child booster seat that would look cool in the rhino
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/offroad_nets_rearside.aspx
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/offroad_nets_rearsidemesh.aspx

sigepmock
10-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Have a link for that?
http://www.prpseats.com/store_seats.html
We picked one up at the Off Road show this weekend for $170.
We also got one of the neck collars for when we're offroading.....hope it helps with the head bob. Not too bad when she's awake but as soon as she falls asleep she starts the head bob.
Chris

Brewzed
10-08-2007, 08:22 AM
We also got one of the neck collars for when we're offroading.....hope it helps with the head bob. Not too bad when she's awake but as soon as she falls asleep she starts the head bob.
Who makes the neck collar? My buddy could use one of those for his daughter.

Magic34
10-08-2007, 08:30 AM
so whats with the low bridges sucks??? doesnt sound good.
Never hit anything. Did have to get out once and disassemble the radar though and reassemble once through the tunnel.
More of a pain than anything.

sigepmock
10-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Who makes the neck collar? My buddy could use one of those for his daughter.
We got one from DJ safety
http://www.djsafety.com/HelmetETC.html
They have several sives and for $20 I figured it was cheap insurance. The guy said just tak the foam out and trim as necessary for a comfortable fit. Just test fitting it....it looks like I need to trim some off the back of the foam so her head and back can touch the back of the seat before the collar does.
Mike here's another good link for the seats:
http://www.duneguide.com/ProductReview_SandRail_ChildSafety.htm

Trailer Park Casanova
10-08-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm an advocate of the safety nets in the rear sides so the kids hands don't flail if you roll it or are hit.
Some states/counties have restricted to 25 MPH or less streets laws for golfcarts, and I'd keep it to that kinda situation.

sigepmock
10-08-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm an advocate of the safety nets in the rear sides so the kids hands don't flail if you roll it or are hit.
Some states/counties have restricted to 25 MPH or less streets laws for golfcarts, and I'd keep it to that kinda situation.
Our daughter goes in the middle of the rear bench where there's not a chance of her arms flying out the sides or back but as she get's older or has a brother or sister we'll definitely run the full nets in the rear.
We also try to stick to the side streets with 25mph speed limits and stay on the look out.
Chris

phuggit
10-08-2007, 11:56 AM
We also try to stick to the side streets with 25mph speed limits and stay on the look out.:eek:

Kilrtoy
10-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Would you truly consider placing a child in the back of a Rhino with NO crash protection, on the street with blue hairs, twekers, and some drunks?????
YOU WOULD BE AMAZED AT HOW MANY PEOPLE DO THIS

GHT
10-08-2007, 01:10 PM
I have been driving my kids around Havi in the back seat for a year now and nobody has stopped me or said anything to me. Kids are now 4 & 8..
Don

Ziggy
10-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I've seen a MILF cruise down my street with her kids in the back......I must say it looks fun. Fully caged and pimped Rhippo.

Magic34
10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
YOU WOULD BE AMAZED AT HOW MANY PEOPLE DO THIS
Safety advocate :D LMAO :D

BoatPI
10-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Fully caged Rhinos, yeah and I bet they are on road crash tested, etc., and side curtain air bags too? I believe the point is children should NEVER be on Rhino's on the street due to so many uncontrolable issues that can occur. Off road, hey, sand gives, no 5,000 pound car at 40 MPH slamming into you, but on the street??????? Let's get serious, these may be street leagal, but does that mean that they offer crash protection? Of course not, as adults we take risks, children generally do waht they are told. So riding on a rear seat, with what is now an increased center of gravity?? And the nuts that we all see everyday while driving out excellent handling, quick stopping, and stable low to the ground-air bagged cars and trucks.
Tell me I and wrong, and why this is not a good idea.

STRETCH
10-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Fully caged Rhinos, yeah and I bet they are on road crash tested, etc., and side curtain air bags too? I believe the point is children should NEVER be on Rhino's on the street due to so many uncontrolable issues that can occur. Off road, hey, sand gives, no 5,000 pound car at 40 MPH slamming into you, but on the street??????? Let's get serious, these may be street leagal, but does that mean that they offer crash protection? Of course not, as adults we take risks, children generally do waht they are told. So riding on a rear seat, with what is now an increased center of gravity?? And the nuts that we all see everyday while driving out excellent handling, quick stopping, and stable low to the ground-air bagged cars and trucks.
I agree 100%. Are Rhino's street legal in Havasu? If not, no question on the correct answer.....stay the heck off da streets with your kids in the back. If they are legal and tagged and insured, still wouldn't catch me puttin my kids life in the hands of someone else. Like smacking an orange with a ball bat.:(

Magic34
10-08-2007, 05:11 PM
I agree 100%. Are Rhino's street legal in Havasu? If not, no question on the correct answer.....stay the heck off da streets with your kids in the back. If they are legal and tagged and insured, still wouldn't catch me puttin my kids life in the hands of someone else. Like smacking an orange with a ball bat.:(
With her on board, I only ride on residential street 25 MPH or less. Never been outside the gates with her here at home.

INSman
10-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I do the same, fully caged and 4-point belts. Anything can happen anywhere, anytime, just like in boating, flying, driving. I just try to be as safe as I can and hope that others will do the same. Everything else is basically out of yor control for the most part.

Riveratz
10-08-2007, 06:06 PM
I like the idea of the PRP Booster seats. Just today I was looking at mine and I have a car seat back there now but my son is already in Booster Seats in our vehicles. But I do like the side to side protection of a Car Seat / Booster for safety.

sigepmock
10-08-2007, 07:30 PM
So you never take your kids in the boat huh???? Right???? All boats are crash tested and have air bags. We also know there are no bad boat drivers or Seadoo drivers out there.:eek: :confused: :mad:
To each his own but try and keep the hipocracy to a minimum.:mad:
Chris

STRETCH
10-09-2007, 03:01 PM
So you never take your kids in the boat huh???? Right???? All boats are crash tested and have air bags. We also know there are no bad boat drivers or Seadoo drivers out there.:eek: :confused: :mad:
To each his own but try and keep the hipocracy to a minimum.:mad:
Chris
Comparing apples and oranges?
Boats are designed, to be on the water. Boats are required to registered/liscened to be on a water way. Seadoo's as well. But they where both designed to be on the water. You can probably draw a comparison between a boat slamming into a seadoo and a car slamming into a Rhino.
Anything adventerous has it's risks...no doubt about that.
I don't think the intent of the design of a Rhino was to be street driven. Are they street legal?

OutCole'd
10-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Boats are designed, to be on the water. Boats are required to registered/liscened to be on a water way. Seadoo's as well. But they where both designed to be on the water. You can probably draw a comparison between a boat slamming into a seadoo and a car slamming into a Rhino.
I don't think the intent of the design of a Rhino was to be street driven. Are they street legal?
Yes, they can be registered in Arizona for street use, so I guess that would make them street legal.

Havasu1986
10-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Rhinos and golf carts can be street legal in AZ. ;)

PaPaG
10-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Buy a jeep and be done with it :D

Riverkid
10-09-2007, 05:30 PM
But it's in a nice VW Thing...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40820&stc=1&d=1191979551

RiverRatMike
10-10-2007, 05:09 AM
Buy a jeep and be done with it :D
owned a 2003 Jeep X and hated it. I like my Rhino alot better!

Quest4Fun
10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
People, PLEASE be careful with kids in these Rhinos. My 10 year old son was a passenger in a Rhino a few weeks ago, being driven by a 14 yr old friend. They rolled it over - on a flat dirt road - and my son's arm was pinned underneath. The ER doctor and our orthopedic doc both said he was lucky he didn't loose his arm! We were lucky he came away with only a lot of bruising and a very swollen arm.