PDA

View Full Version : Boat Detailing

SLOWMAN
10-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Anyone know a good boat detailer in the Bullhead City area. I have a 26 Lavey that needs the end of the season clean-up to put away for the winter. To give you an idea what needs to be done we do the usual wipe down after each trip.
My next date in Bullhead will be Saturday 10/27/2007. Send me your quotes.
Thanks..
Stan

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Bullhead? I think Big Doug goes out there.

Magic34
10-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Send me your quotes.
Thanks..
Stan
What is that all about? You going to pick the lowest bid or the best person for the job? There really are not many to choose from, but I prefer using a guy that wont go back and steal your stuff.
As suggested, Doug is a good referral.
Just a a side note, I was in sales in the service industry for a few years, and when a person just asked for quotes and nothing else, I simply told them I could not do the appointment. If they were so concerend about price and nothing else, I was the wrong guy/company for the job.

Magic34
10-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Oh yeah....
Good, cheap, fast... you only get 2.

ChumpChange
10-08-2007, 10:26 AM
I like when they people call regarding my boat and ask what my bottom dollar price is. I just yell "You haven't even seen the boat, how do you think you can negotiate?"

Chubby4Life
10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
.....Just a a side note, I was in sales in the service industry for a few years, and when a person just asked for quotes and nothing else, I simply told them I could not do the appointment. If they were so concerend about price and nothing else, I was the wrong guy/company for the job.
That sounds pretty arrogant. The idea behind getting a "quote" is to set a budget.

ChumpChange
10-08-2007, 10:39 AM
That sounds pretty arrogant. The idea behind getting a "quote" is to set a budget.
True. But at the same time, when he states "send me your quotes" it could be construed that he is just going to start a pissing match between detailers with who is going to give him the cheapest price.
Unfortunately Magic did not state what type of sales he is in. I know that in my sales position, if somebody wants me to give them a written letter of interest, I pass on the business since I know that the customer is just going to take that to a competitor and the competitor will match. Same thing that I would do if somebody brought me a letter from a competitor. :D

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Well I know Myself as well as Big Doug have set prices for the people on ***boat just for the simple reason that alot of business comes from here. But as far as pricing goes I always preach "You get what you pay for" in any field. In this business there are alot of fly by night people, here today gone tomorrow. I have been in this field for 20 years and have seen alot of people come and go. Just something to keep in mind. Mark (So-Cal Detail)

Chubby4Life
10-08-2007, 10:46 AM
True. But at the same time, when he states "send me your quotes" it could be construed that he is just going to start a pissing match between detailers with who is going to give him the cheapest price.
Unfortunately Magic did not state what type of sales he is in. I know that in my sales position, if somebody wants me to give them a written letter of interest, I pass on the business since I know that the customer is just going to take that to a competitor and the competitor will match. Same thing that I would do if somebody brought me a letter from a competitor. :D
I understand the thought process behind your statement. What I was refering to was 34 saying, if you want a quote, call someone else. I personally don't play peoples rates off one another. If I think someones price is too high they don't get my business.

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 10:54 AM
I understand the thought process behind your statement. What I was refering to was 34 saying, if you want a quote, call someone else. I personally don't play peoples rates off one another. If I think someones price is too high they don't get my business.
I personally like the customers that just book an appointment without asking the price, it makes the 20 years of blood, sweat and tears worth it. Mark

BigDoug
10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
SLOWMAN, i sent you a pm. :)
Mark and mike thanks for helping out !! :)

CornWater
10-08-2007, 11:00 AM
I personally like the customers that just book an appointment without asking the price, it makes the 20 years of blood, sweat and tears worth it. Mark
Yeah... money is no object, right?
:rolleyes:

Chubby4Life
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Mark,
You were great to work with: I contact you, you give me a per ft. estimate, I calculate the total price using fingers and toes, your awarded the job! :D
Again, you did a great job on the truck and boat.

Magic34
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
It is not meant to be at all arrogant.
I was doing sales in the moving industry my last 2 years of college for our family business. We werew one of the big 3 Nationwide, and had top ratings in the country for customer service from Gallup surveys.
People would call and set an appointment. I would go to their home to conduct a survey and look at how we would move everything in their home. Every once in a while, someone would have 5-6 different quotes sitting there and would tell me that they just need an estimate. I just drove 30-45 minutes to bang out an estimate and they really didn't care who we were or what we could do. Our services were 100X better than Starving Students or another comapny like that, but they would compare the 2 quotes and say "wow, that's expensive!" When in all reality, the comapny they were comapring me to didn't even have a wharehouse to store their stuff, just a dirt lot they parked the trucks in.
What I am saying... There is SOOOO much more than what comes in just the quote.

Throttle
10-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I will underbid everyone... but I can not be there that day... :D

Chubby4Life
10-08-2007, 11:21 AM
It is not meant to be at all arrogant.
I was doing sales in the moving industry my last 2 years of college for our family business. We werew one of the big 3 Nationwide, and had top ratings in the country for customer service from Gallup surveys.
People would call and set an appointment. I would go to their home to conduct a survey and look at how we would move everything in their home. Every once in a while, someone would have 5-6 different quotes sitting there and would tell me that they just need an estimate. I just drove 30-45 minutes to bang out an estimate and they really didn't care who we were or what we could do. Our services were 100X better than Starving Students or another comapny like that, but they would compare the 2 quotes and say "wow, that's expensive!" When in all reality, the comapny they were comapring me to didn't even have a wharehouse to store their stuff, just a dirt lot they parked the trucks in.
What I am saying... There is SOOOO much more than what comes in just the quote.
I knew there was more to it than just "I don't give quotes, call someone else.":) Unfortunatly, in your position you can't give an estimate blindly over the phone or you would not be in business. I figured that when you said sales, you worked in a goods and services type place. (Lumber yard, retail, car sales ect.)

BigDoug
10-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Cameron, stay out of this !! you are way under qualified anyways........hehe :D

SLOWMAN
10-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Anyone know a good boat detailer in the Bullhead City area. I have a 26 Lavey that needs the end of the season clean-up to put away for the winter. To give you an idea what needs to be done we do the usual wipe down after each trip.
My next date in Bullhead will be Saturday 10/27/2007. Send me your quotes.
Thanks..
Stan
You guys all need to take a figgin chill pill.. You mis-understood my "quote" question. When you went to buy your boat did you ask the price? Did you not negotiate?
All I wanted was a price per foot. Not to start some pissing match. As you can see I don't post much. The one time I ask question, everyone jumps on the bandwagon and think I'm some cheap ass trying to start a bidding war for a boat detail job.
If you want the job send me a price per foot, that's all I ask. Nothing more nothing less. If you have so much business that you don't need my business then dont' bother. I came on here to give a member of this board some business. What is this world coming to. It was a very simple question......

Magic34
10-08-2007, 01:45 PM
You guys all need to take a figgin chill pill.. You mis-understood my "quote" question. When you went to buy your boat did you ask the price? Did you not negotiate?
All I wanted was a price per foot. Not to start some pissing match. As you can see I don't post much. The one time I ask question, everyone jumps on the bandwagon and think I'm some cheap ass trying to start a bidding war for a boat detail job.
If you want the job send me a price per foot, that's all I ask. Nothing more nothing less. If you have so much business that you don't need my business then dont' bother. I came on here to give a member of this board some business. What is this world coming to. It was a very simple question......
When I bought my boat, I went to to mfg/boat I wanted. Picked options and how I wanted the boat. THEN, I started fighting about the price, and trust me, it was a fight, but only after I shopped for the baot that I wanted first.
Here is what I have found to work great on this site. Ask a question like this...
Hello, I am in need of having my Lavey detailed for the end of the year. Who would you recommed as a reputable detailer to do a good job for me in Bullhead where my boat is located? Anyone from Havi go there to do work as well?
If you are a detailer, please PM me your pricing to do my 26' boat so I may see what options I have. If you know of a good detailer here on the boards, please leave their name here so I can send them a message.
Thank you.
Sorry Stan. I didn't mean to come across like beating you up on anything. I just read your post like you were choosing the cheapest bidder. Hopefully someone like Doug on here has a competitve rate that you can agree to.

BigDoug
10-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Mike, my rate is better than the competition especially to board members who take care of me.
Iv'e recently found out another board member is going behind my back and offering details when he/she doesn't know the first thing about detailing or even have the proper equipment...........unbelievable !!

SLOWMAN
10-08-2007, 02:51 PM
When I bought my boat, I went to to mfg/boat I wanted. Picked options and how I wanted the boat. THEN, I started fighting about the price, and trust me, it was a fight, but only after I shopped for the baot that I wanted first.
Here is what I have found to work great on this site. Ask a question like this...
Hello, I am in need of having my Lavey detailed for the end of the year. Who would you recommed as a reputable detailer to do a good job for me in Bullhead where my boat is located? Anyone from Havi go there to do work as well?
If you are a detailer, please PM me your pricing to do my 26' boat so I may see what options I have. If you know of a good detailer here on the boards, please leave their name here so I can send them a message.
Thank you.
Sorry Stan. I didn't mean to come across like beating you up on anything. I just read your post like you were choosing the cheapest bidder. Hopefully someone like Doug on here has a competitve rate that you can agree to.
Doug was the first to PM me, he is coming over in 2 weeks to do the detail. Thanks for the referral.

voodoomedman
10-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Mike, my rate is better than the competition especially to board members who take care of me.
Iv'e recently found out another board member is going behind my back and offering details when he/she doesn't know the first thing about detailing or even have the proper equipment...........unbelievable !!
You weren't supposed to find out I was doing that. :eek: :eek: Who told you! :mad: :mad:
Seriously though PM me with your per foot rate. I need to talk to my wife and decide if we want to get it professionally done this year. We are anal about cleaning our boat after every use and detail it every year but I don't know it might be worth it to just have it done this year.

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Wow Doug you know I dont go on your turf. :D Yup unfortuntly there are alot of people that think they can make an easy buck. I dont know about gel repair thats why I dont do it. I dont know plumbing thats why I call a pro plumber. I do what I do. I dont do this on the SIDE. I do this as a liveing. I always reccomend people to ask questions, if they stumble 99% of the time they are not qualified to the the job. Hey Doug is it a he or she????????Mark

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 03:20 PM
You weren't supposed to find out I was doing that. :eek: :eek: Who told you! :mad: :mad:
Seriously though PM me with your per foot rate. I need to talk to my wife and decide if we want to get it professionally done this year. We are anal about cleaning our boat after every use and detail it every year but I don't know it might be worth it to just have it done this year.
Yea you want someone thats going to detail it like it's their own. Its good to be anal:)

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Mark,
You were great to work with: I contact you, you give me a per ft. estimate, I calculate the total price using fingers and toes, your awarded the job! :D
Again, you did a great job on the truck and boat.
Chris, I ENJOYED (enjoy being the key word here) detailing your rig and boat, It's customers like you that keep me in business, thanks again. Mark

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Doug was the first to PM me, he is coming over in 2 weeks to do the detail. Thanks for the referral.
You will be happy with Dougs work, I always reccomend people in Havasu to Doug. unfortuntly that drive is a little too far for me:D

Throttle
10-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Cameron, stay out of this !! you are way under qualified anyways........hehe :D
my customers own me anyway... haha

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Yeah... money is no object, right?
Not to some customers. When someone quoted me a price to paint a car of mine, I didnt even flinch because I knew the job he was going to do was top notch. He now paints for Foose.

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 03:34 PM
my customers own me anyway... haha
SELLOUT:D

Havasu1986
10-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Not to some customers. When someone quoted me a price to paint a car of mine, I didnt even flinch because I knew the job he was going to do was top notch. He now paints for Foose.
Did he used to paint for Boyd Coddington to. ?

HokeySon
10-08-2007, 03:40 PM
I look at it different. If someone wants something done without asking for an estimate, I am pretty sure I am going to have a problem on the back end when they claim they didn't expect it to cost so much -- unless they have used my services before, of course.
Hey Socal: I have a question. Will a detailer use the products I specify if I provide them? I like the Zaino line, but I get tired of doing it myself sometimes and then I neglect what needs to be done. thanks.

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Did he used to paint for Boyd Coddington to. ?
YUP

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 03:43 PM
I look at it different. If someone wants something done without asking for an estimate, I am pretty sure I am going to have a problem on the back end when they claim they didn't expect it to cost so much -- unless they have used my services before, of course.
Luckly I have never had that propblum, I try to stay competitve with my prices. And my regular customers always get first placement in appointments.
I will use a provided product if they request it. Everone has a preferance. I did do a car for Overhaulin and had to use what was provided for me.

Throttle
10-08-2007, 03:45 PM
SELLOUT:D
i wish, dream come true...
not really, gotta keep em

Throttle
10-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey Socal: I have a question. Will a detailer use the products I specify if I provide them? I like the Zaino line, but I get tired of doing it myself sometimes and then I neglect what needs to be done. thanks.
NO, I use the product line I am familiar with... No exceptions!

Throttle
10-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Throttle
10-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Throttle
10-08-2007, 03:52 PM

HokeySon
10-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey, would you make an exception for me if I asked you three times?:D :D
PS: thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

Ziggy
10-08-2007, 03:53 PM
This thread cracks me up...........:)
people are so judgemental.....

Havasu1986
10-08-2007, 03:57 PM
YUP
If he's the guy that quit Boyd and his show to go to Chip. He seemed like a nice guy on the show. Boyd was pissed though. :mad:

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey, would you make an exception for me if I asked you three times?:D :D
PS: thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.
I am familiar with the Zaino line, great stuff for consumers, But believe it or not there are alot of professional lines of products available to detailers that are way better then that.

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 04:02 PM
If he's the guy that quit Boyd and his show to go to Chip. He seemed like a nice guy on the show. Boyd was pissed though. :mad:
He's a hell of a painter.:)

CornWater
10-08-2007, 05:02 PM
So did he get pissed off when you asked for a quote? Get the F outta here, it seriously bothers you when people ask you for a quote? I have sent many proposals out for work (far more labor intensive than a detail quote) in which we did not recieve the contract. Do you think I tell prospective clients that money should be no object, take it or leave it?

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 07:26 PM
So did he get pissed off when you asked for a quote? Get the F outta here, it seriously bothers you when people ask you for a quote? I have sent many proposals out for work (far more labor intensive than a detail quote) in which we did not recieve the contract. Do you think I tell prospective clients that money should be no object, take it or leave it?
I never said it bothers me. I said it makes me feel good when they just want me at any cost to show up and do the job. Obviously you have never had this happend to you. I give about 6 estimates out a day. I to have given labor intensive proposals out to companies and ink most of them because of my quality of work and yes TO SOME PEOPLE MONEY IS NO OBJECT.

CornWater
10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
I never said it bothers me. I said it makes me feel good when they just want me at any cost to show up and do the job. Obviously you have never had this happend to you. I give about 6 estimates out a day. I to have given labor intensive proposals out to companies and ink most of them because of my quality of work and yes TO SOME PEOPLE MONEY IS NO OBJECT.
Well I will keep you in mind for my next detail, as well I'm sure, as the many other people reading this. Please spare me the labor intensive proposals, your shining resume, etc. This is real world business, and I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but cost is a huge factor in awarding contracts. Is it the only factor? No. But it is definately a huge factor.
And BTW, I'm pretty sure if you charged someone $100K for a detail they would have a problem with it. So I'm pretty sure "at any cost", and "money is no object" is pompous bullshit rhetoric.

SOCALDETAIL1
10-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Well I will keep you in mind for my next detail, as well I'm sure, as the many other people reading this. Please spare me the labor intensive proposals, your shining resume, etc. This is real world business, and I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but cost is a huge factor in awarding contracts. Is it the only factor? No. But it is definately a huge factor.
And BTW, I'm pretty sure if you charged someone $100K for a detail they would have a problem with it. So I'm pretty sure "at any cost", and "money is no object" is pompous bullshit rhetoric.
Cost is a huge factor, but so is QUALITY. I dont run a "world business I run a local business with great clients. Life is good bro, I enjoy what I do. 100k for a detail dont be so rediculous. I dont understand why you come on here and blow everything out of proportion?

CornWater
10-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Cost is a huge factor, but so is QUALITY. I dont run a "world business I run a local business with great clients. Life is good bro, I enjoy what I do. 100k for a detail dont be so rediculous. I dont understand why you come on here and blow everything out of proportion?
Classic.. Hows that statement for an exaggeration, or "blowing everything out of proportion"?

SLOWMAN
10-27-2007, 04:46 PM
THANK YOU DOUG AND RICHELLE....
Doug and Richelle detailed my boat today, WOW what a FANTASTIC job. The boat looks new again. But more importantly what great people they are!!!

Mrs.Racer277
10-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Doug and Richelle detailed my boat today, WOW what a FANTASTIC job. The boat looks new again. But more importantly what great people they are!!!
I could not agree more :) Very good people :)

BigDoug
10-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Thank you Stan !!.................just had dinner with Mrs.Racer277 (Dia) :D

Magic34
10-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Cool. :) Glad it worked out for you. :)