PDA

View Full Version : How many hours did you log on your boat this year?

skyskier
10-10-2007, 05:43 AM
I've put 91 + hours on my 454/bravo 1 deckboat. Two oil & filter changes, one outdrive service....$940:eek: WTF:confused: Seems like a lot of money for normal servicing? Is this about normal for the hours? My Dad runs a 21 Hallett up in Idaho with this same power combo. He's had the boat for 9 years, 50+ hours in a good year, has NEVER had to change the impellar, get's the entire boat "winterized" AND THEN "summerized" for under $300.

TheCarDudes
10-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Logged about 50 hours on the boat since March. 4 engine oil and drive oil changes, one impellor. Maintenance was around $2000 for all that. Other misc repairs that were preventative upgrading rather than broken items ran about $1500. I did snap a cable that was the more than half of my repair costs for the year. I think I had a pretty good season. Absolute did a great job keeping me aware of what was wearing and should be dealt with vs. what was fine and could be left alone.

shippingguy
10-10-2007, 06:28 AM
I put about 35-40 hours on so far. Season is not over for me yet thought. Two motor/drive oil services (All Synthetics 15 qts), filter, fuel filter, trailer lube etc. Total cost $300 each service. If you feel you paid too much and you are in Havasu check out Savage Marine. I service both motor and drive every 20 hours.
Mike

framer1
10-10-2007, 06:38 AM
I put on a whopping four:rolleyes:

riverbound
10-10-2007, 06:42 AM
I would say I probably put less than 10 on MY boat, but plenty of hours on friends boats this year. But then again my year isnt even close to over. :D

ULTRA26 # 1
10-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Logged about 50 hours on the boat since March. 4 engine oil and drive oil changes, one impellor. Maintenance was around $2000 for all that. Other misc repairs that were preventative upgrading rather than broken items ran about $1500. I did snap a cable that was the more than half of my repair costs for the year. I think I had a pretty good season. Absolute did a great job keeping me aware of what was wearing and should be dealt with vs. what was fine and could be left alone.
About 75 hours
Isn't 4 engine oil and drive oil changes in 50 hours a bit much? I'm all for clean oil but it seems like 4 in 50 is serious a waste of cash. But I just a have a black motor so it's probabally not the same. For me engine oil, Merc 25/40 syn blend every 25 to 30 and drive twice a season.

hoolign
10-10-2007, 06:52 AM
I put on a whopping four:rolleyes:
Beat me by 4:D

455Rocket
10-10-2007, 07:00 AM
The seasons over?? :jawdrop:

phebus
10-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I've been way too busy to go to the lake this year. Therefore, I only put a little over a hundred hours on my boats so far. :D

2Driver
10-10-2007, 07:06 AM
6 :(
Latley every June I am running last years gas out and every October I am trying to run current year June's gas out to put in stabilizer.
To think we used to be on the lake every weekend April-September.:rolleyes:

Taylor923
10-10-2007, 07:25 AM
I am ashamed to say, after building a new motor , I only put 15 hours max on it this year.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-10-2007, 07:26 AM
I've been way too busy to go to the lake this year. Therefore, I only put a little over a hundred hours on my boats so far. :D
My kind of boater :D

Jyruiz
10-10-2007, 07:29 AM
The year is not over yet, I will let you know in January when the new season starts.:D

TheCarDudes
10-10-2007, 07:31 AM
About 75 hours
Isn't 4 engine oil and drive oil changes in 50 hours a bit much? I'm all for clean oil but it seems like 4 in 50 is serious a waste of cash. But I just a have a black motor so it's probabally not the same. For me engine oil, Merc 25/40 syn blend every 25 to 30 and drive twice a season.
The 4th engine/oil change was just done last week. I change the fluids every 15 hours. It is a bit excessive but the way I look at it it is a VERY cheap insurance policy to prevent a possible breakdown. It was also strongly suggested by Gary Taylor (TPI) that I do this. I can't argue with experience.
BTW, if I had not done my last oil change on time, I would have probably been stuck out on the lake who knows where. Every time the fluids get done, Absolute does a complete inspection. They found my starter had a cracked housing and was probably ready to let go. Thanks to a regimented (sp) maintenance schedule, I have never been stranded on the lake, nor have I had any engine/drive issues to ruin my day on the lake. It is a bit pricey to run this set-up, but, I am EXTREMELY happy with my motor and the overall performance of the boat. I'm willing to bite the bullet here.
TCD

SummitKarl
10-10-2007, 07:36 AM
I've been way too busy to go to the lake this year. Therefore, I only put a little over a hundred hours on my boats so far. :D yea but you put at least 1k channel hours on it:D
let's go put a few more hrs on them this afternoon...I should be done with work about 1pm

ck7684
10-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Maybe 1??:(

whiteworks
10-10-2007, 07:39 AM
20 minutes last april.

yopengo
10-10-2007, 07:49 AM
15 hours on the old boat….sold in May and 25 ~ 30 hours on the tri-toon. Not bad for our first year having a house in Havasu. Hope to put a few more before the season is over. :D I don’t think I spent more that one hour in the channel this year. I don’t like bringing my kids to hang there anymore. We still hit the sandbar…:)

phebus
10-10-2007, 07:55 AM
yea but you put at least 1k channel hours on it:D
let's go put a few more hrs on them this afternoon...I should be done with work about 1pm
Hours on the hour meter vs. hours of use? Over one hundred on the hour meter probably means thousands of hours spent on the boat.
It's been a very fun year, and my fun meter is pegged! :D
Don't know about today yet, we might have plans...........:(

Steamin' Rice
10-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Not many hours for me this year - Probably only 15 or so.. :devil:

ULTRA26 # 1
10-10-2007, 08:06 AM
The 4th engine/oil change was just done last week. I change the fluids every 15 hours. It is a bit excessive but the way I look at it it is a VERY cheap insurance policy to prevent a possible breakdown. It was also strongly suggested by Gary Taylor (TPI) that I do this. I can't argue with experience.
BTW, if I had not done my last oil change on time, I would have probably been stuck out on the lake who knows where. Every time the fluids get done, Absolute does a complete inspection. They found my starter had a cracked housing and was probably ready to let go. Thanks to a regimented (sp) maintenance schedule, I have never been stranded on the lake, nor have I had any engine/drive issues to ruin my day on the lake. It is a bit pricey to run this set-up, but, I am EXTREMELY happy with my motor and the overall performance of the boat. I'm willing to bite the bullet here.
TCD
Gary Taylor is the man for sure. If I had one of his packages and he told me every 15 then it would be every 15. BTW, beautiful boat. I've been Howard fan for years, since back in the days when Howard, Cole and Hallet were the only quality players, IMO

CORONA&LIME
10-10-2007, 08:22 AM
From April till now about 10

TheCarDudes
10-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Hours on the hour meter vs. hours of use? Over one hundred on the hour meter probably means thousands of hours spent on the boat.
So Rick, tell me what it's like to have the your only stressful decision of the day would be deciding which friends you are hanging out with and what part of the lake you're going to? :D
Must be nice. Enjoy.

TheCarDudes
10-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Gary Taylor is the man for sure. If I had one of his packages and he told me every 15 then it would be every 15. BTW, beautiful boat. I've been Howard fan for years, since back in the days when Howard, Cole and Hallet were the only quality players, IMO
Thanks for the compliment. Gary is the man. I think everyone knows that about him by now by popular demand. We'll be doing the Absolute run this weekend.
See everyone there.

shockwavebd
10-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Not many hours for me this year - Probably only 15 or so.. :devil:
Same here and it's your fault.................:idea:

Not So Fast
10-10-2007, 08:49 AM
About 30 hrs and an oil change at 22hrs! +Every year a complete serv and once over, oil, filter, alignment, drive oil changed, water separator and this last time the very expensive Mercury fuel filter which the book says every 100hrs, trailer bearings greased! Maintenance is the key!!! NSF

Racey
10-10-2007, 08:58 AM
About 30 hrs and an oil change at 22hrs! +Every year a complete serv and once over, oil, filter, alignment, drive oil changed, water separator and this last time the very expensive Mercury fuel filter which the book says every 100hrs, trailer bearings greased! Maintenance is the key!!! NSF
NSF you have your chit together!!! keep treatin her like that and she'll never get old!! Maintenance is cheaper than repairs!
Service Interval for an oil change is usually around 30 hours, this is pretty equivalent to 3,000 miles in a car. Impellers are good for about ~60 hours, but this can depend alot on use, High rpms will wear them out faster, and also being made of rubber they begin deteriorating from the time they come off the line. Just to be safe we change all impellers every season, it makes up for the one time you might lose one while your out on the water, if you dont watch you gauges we all know what happens next:( , if you do you are in for a nice tow, and either you are lucky enough to find an open shop, or you spend 3 hours in the parking lot sweating your ass off changing it while the wife and kids are starting to get worked up waiting for your sorry ass to fix it.:D
Alot of people b!tch about how expensive their service is etc, but time is money and it takes 1/2 day (about 4 hours) to service your average single engine boat, oil, impeller, drive oil. By the time you get the boat from storage into the shop, usually pull the back seat to get easier access to the pump, pull the belts, hoses, take the pump to the bench and replace the impeller, all back into the boat to hook everything back up, Then take the boat outside to run it on the hose and warm up the oil, Suck it out the dipstick if you can, dumping to the bilge is way more work with the extra cleanup, do the filter, drive oil, Clean up the boat etc. You can see there is alot of time, add on the cost of the fluids, filter, impeller (or the pricey ~$95 mercury impeller/housing kit). $500-$600 gets eaten up real fast :jawdrop: :D
Certain boats can be alot harder to work on, esp deck boats with the engine burried, or tall stringers, and you end up having to acrobat heels over head to change the water pump. :mad:
Gawd i love working on V-Drives everything is so nice and easy to get to :D, Cam driven waterpump takes all of about 10 minutes to change the impeller.
Keep buying those outdrives boats boys!

bunny 166
10-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I've put 91 + hours on my 454/bravo 1 deckboat. Two oil & filter changes, one outdrive service....$940:eek: WTF:confused: Seems like a lot of money for normal servicing? Is this about normal for the hours? My Dad runs a 21 Hallett up in Idaho with this same power combo. He's had the boat for 9 years, 50+ hours in a good year, has NEVER had to change the impellar, get's the entire boat "winterized" AND THEN "summerized" for under $300.
OK, I'm sure D knows how many hours we put on the boat last season, but I just have to say--your Dad has the same impeller from 9 years ago?? :jawdrop: I think he may want to change that at some point, just my .02, I'm no mechanic....... Ours gets changed every season, perfect condition or not...

beaverretriever
10-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Damn, I thought we put on a lot of hours. :eek:
Although we were without a boat for over 2 months this summer, between the two boats we put on about 30hrs. If we actually keep a boat through the whole season, I think we could put on 60+ easy. :)

DeltaSigBoater
10-10-2007, 09:47 AM
About 7 hours - 2 oil changes, 4 outdrive lubes, 2 new impellers & 1 new housing, 1 new water water pump, 2 spark plug changes. I spent more damn time working on the boat than I did using it :mad:

BigDogIvan
10-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Got 30+ so far and still one more outing to go. Only thing replaced was the exhuast bellows. :D Going to get a whol lot of things done this winter. :)

WestTNRiverRat
10-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Put 92 hours on mine. Made a couple of 100 + mile trips on the river. Changed the oil and filter twice and as for the outdrive lube I never change it, I just add to it. Impeller every other year.
Towed two boats in this summer. One was a MasterRaft that wouldn't start and the other was a 25 foot Colbalt that had a small engine fire and burnt up a bunch of his wiring.

Not So Fast
10-10-2007, 10:28 AM
NSF you have your chit together!!! keep treatin her like that and she'll never get old!! Maintenance is cheaper than repairs!
Service Interval for an oil change is usually around 30 hours, this is pretty equivalent to 3,000 miles in a car. Impellers are good for about ~60 hours, but this can depend alot on use, High rpms will wear them out faster, and also being made of rubber they begin deteriorating from the time they come off the line. Just to be safe we change all impellers every season, it makes up for the one time you might lose one while your out on the water, if you dont watch you gauges we all know what happens next:( , if you do you are in for a nice tow, and either you are lucky enough to find an open shop, or you spend 3 hours in the parking lot sweating your ass off changing it while the wife and kids are starting to get worked up waiting for your sorry ass to fix it.:D
Alot of people b!tch about how expensive their service is etc, but time is money and it takes 1/2 day (about 4 hours) to service your average single engine boat, oil, impeller, drive oil. By the time you get the boat from storage into the shop, usually pull the back seat to get easier access to the pump, pull the belts, hoses, take the pump to the bench and replace the impeller, all back into the boat to hook everything back up, Then take the boat outside to run it on the hose and warm up the oil, Suck it out the dipstick if you can, dumping to the bilge is way more work with the extra cleanup, do the filter, drive oil, Clean up the boat etc. You can see there is alot of time, add on the cost of the fluids, filter, impeller (or the pricey ~$95 mercury impeller/housing kit). $500-$600 gets eaten up real fast :jawdrop: :D
Certain boats can be alot harder to work on, esp deck boats with the engine burried, or tall stringers, and you end up having to acrobat heels over head to change the water pump. :mad:
Gawd i love working on V-Drives everything is so nice and easy to get to :D, Cam driven waterpump takes all of about 10 minutes to change the impeller.
Keep buying those outdrives boats boys!
Thanks, I try:D My boat gets wiped down everytime out then I use Hot sauce on the transom and Production Anti-stat new car polish on the entire boat plus the interior is wiped down and vacuumed, all compartments opened and allowed to dry out. I'm sure lots of you guys do the same because after all "cleanliness is next to Godliness" and it helps the resale :idea: :D NSF

brianthomas
10-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow! I thought you people in the desert really used your boats! I am in the upper midwest and we usually put nearly 200 hours on in our 6 month season. It gets expensive in a twin engine big block boat that weighs over 25,000 lbs. but our season is only half of the year! I actually have my boat in the water for 7 months and spend EVERY Friday and Saturday night on the boat plus a few various nights in the week plus a two week boat vacation. Probably 90 nights aboard so hours aboard are huge. I will slow a little as the kids are now 8 and 12, they are getting busier but all of the activities are within 10 minutes of the marina.

SummitKarl
10-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks, I try:D My boat gets wiped down everytime out then I use Hot sauce on the transom and Production Anti-stat new car polish on the entire boat plus the interior is wiped down and vacuumed, all compartments opened and allowed to dry out. I'm sure lots of you guys do the same because after all "cleanliness is next to Godliness" and it helps the resale :idea: :D NSF
AHHH CRAP..................I am going to hell:mad: :) :) :D

ULTRA26 # 1
10-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Same routine here. Bobby, you need to try 3m's marine paste wax. It's easy and shines.

phebus
10-10-2007, 11:07 AM
So Rick, tell me what it's like to have the your only stressful decision of the day would be deciding which friends you are hanging out with and what part of the lake you're going to? :D
Must be nice. Enjoy.
I would trade it all for a good back and my job back.
But, why not make the best of life.:D

plaster dave
10-10-2007, 11:32 AM
I think around 40 hrs. 2 oil and drive changes. Thanks So. Cal Speed and Marine. Good service and great prices and fast service.

ChumpChange
10-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Maybe five hours for the poker run and then a single hour to give somebody a test ride. That's it. :(

OCMerrill
10-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Six big hours at Big Bear Lake.
But river in a couple weeks. Hope to improve on that number.

ThongMagnet
10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
20 hours

236EAGLEXP
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Zero hours, here's why.....http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/hailey.jpg

rrrr
10-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Two, maybe. That's on our 26' Chapparral. The v-drive, zero.
I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in January and it was removed in February. Been in agony since then, dealing with whole body pain and generally feeling like shit. Some day the meds will be adjusted right......:rolleyes:
But there's always next year....:)

ULTRA26 # 1
10-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the compliment. Gary is the man. I think everyone knows that about him by now by popular demand. We'll be doing the Absolute run this weekend.
See everyone there.
We'll be in Havasu this weekend, hope to see you then.
John

Wicky
10-10-2007, 04:52 PM
115 hours. Didn't change the motor oil once!!!:D :eek: :D
Where does your dad boat at in Idaho?

rollin24/7
10-10-2007, 06:13 PM
unfortuntaly only 18 hours. 7 trips this year but as usual most of the trip is spent either floating or hanging out at the sandbar. very sad:confused:

I DIG IT !
10-10-2007, 07:50 PM
40+ two oil changes and one drive change. Oil is cheap and motors are not. So Im the every 25+ hr change type of guy. Had a great summer, just to short here in the north west.

War Canoe
10-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Logged 200 + this year with my 22 Daytona with a 275 Verado...Mostly in the delta and Lake Oroville...30 hours in the War Canoe (19' Cougar with 300xs)
Rolling with Bullhead Bully will add hours to your boat !:D

Throttle
10-11-2007, 12:01 AM
around a hundred, year isn't over yet...

KahunaJuice
10-11-2007, 03:42 AM
Not enough, anout eight (8)....................

sleekcrafter
10-11-2007, 03:48 AM
84 hrs, and over 4500 miles towing:D great summer! Low free board jets rule!;)