PDA

View Full Version : iPod question...

al cole'holic
12-22-2005, 12:00 PM
...who knows about these, I needs me some edumacation! They work with PC's..??...I need to buy one but am clueless...does ROZ have these too?? :)

riverbound
12-22-2005, 12:01 PM
What you need to know??

al cole'holic
12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
What you need to know??
...well, do they work with PC...how do you load em up with music, can u get free music or do you have to pay .99 per song or something..??

ROZ
12-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Download I tunes, download all your cd's, and download anything off Limewire you can :D.. Next thing you know, your computer has 30k songs on it :D
Yes, PC friendly :)
I don't have anymore... Go to the apple online store.. it's your best bet :)
Also, they're price fixed... no discounts anywhere except if you're a student at a UC school...
I got mine from UCSD bookstore for LESS than what my company bought them for... Apple and schools.. there's a relationship there somewhere...lol

LAFD
12-22-2005, 12:06 PM
pretty simple when you get an ipod it comes with software to put on your pc. no you can download music from cds or download music from itunes for i think 99 cents a song. and everytime you plug in your ipod to your computer it updates it with what ever new songs you downloaded.

riverbound
12-22-2005, 12:08 PM
...well, do they work with PC...how do you load em up with music, can u get free music or do you have to pay .99 per song or something..??
It will come with software. load the software to your comp. then you can take your CD's and load them into your I-tunes (apple software). If you want to get new music, you can go ti I-tunes music store and buy songs @ $.99 a song. there are ways to get FREE music, but it isnt exactly legal. Once you get the stuff loaded on your comp. it is really easy to use. I have a couple thousand songs loaded on mine. Its pretty much the only thing I use anymore.

al cole'holic
12-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I was thinking the 30gig color with video, $299 at Circuit City which is only like 40 bucks more than the 4gig nano....??....is this a decent price/model?? Thanks guys I really appreciate the help considering I don't do my shopping til like hours before xxxmas :)

LAFD
12-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Download I tunes, download all your cd's, and download anything off Limewire you can :D.. Next thing you know, your computer has 30k songs on it :D
Yes, PC friendly :)
Also, they're price fixed... no discounts anywhere except if you're a student at a UC school...
I got mine from UCSD bookstore for LESS than what my company bought them for... Apple and schools.. there's a relationship there somewhere...lol
so you can download songs from limewire onto the ipod. didnt know you could do that...

riverbound
12-22-2005, 12:24 PM
so you can download songs from limewire onto the ipod. didnt know you could do that...
Technically you cant ;) but there is a way around it :D

riverbound
12-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I was thinking the 30gig color with video, $299 at Circuit City which is only like 40 bucks more than the 4gig nano....??....is this a decent price/model?? Thanks guys I really appreciate the help considering I don't do my shopping til like hours before xxxmas :)
I paid that for my 20gig......back in the day. I dont think I would use the video/pic stuff. But it is a nice piece.

al cole'holic
12-22-2005, 12:28 PM
I paid that for my 20gig......back in the day. I dont think I would use the video/pic stuff. But it is a nice piece.
I hear ya on the video...my electrician neighbor has a sweet docking station in the drywall, it plays throughout the house and is awesome!

LAFD
12-22-2005, 12:29 PM
well i know your not supposed to but who listens to that. how do ya do it does it just load into the itunes??

riverbound
12-22-2005, 12:34 PM
well i know your not supposed to but who listens to that. how do ya do it does it just load into the itunes??
No it doesnt. I-tunes has to be your default audio file player.
When you download the song. you have to open the songs on your comp then if I-tunes is your default it will then open it while loading the song into your Itunes.

Cole Trickle
12-22-2005, 12:39 PM
I have had the 4gig mini for about 6months and love it.
My only complaint (Besides rthe fact that a newer better model comes out every 2 months) is that I don't like having to hook it up to mu puter to charge the battery.
I need to buy one of those stereo docking stations!!!

riverbound
12-22-2005, 12:41 PM
I have had the 4gig mini for about 6months and love it.
My only complaint (Besides rthe fact that a newer better model comes out every 2 months) is that I don't like having to hook it up to mu puter to charge the battery.
I need to buy one of those stereo docking stations!!!
It didnt come with a charger???

Cole Trickle
12-22-2005, 12:48 PM
It didnt come with a charger???
Minis charge off the same usb cable that you download with.
good thing is the batteries last way way way longer than the original but you have to charge off puter or buy a seperate docking station.

riverbound
12-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Minis charge off the same usb cable that you download with.
good thing is the batteries last way way way longer than the original but you have to charge off puter or buy a seperate docking station.
Did not know that. The batt. probably lasts longer because the nano isnt based off of a hard rive like the others....its actually a lfash drive. probably much more efficient on power consumprtion. and probably alot more reliable.

BajaMike
12-22-2005, 12:58 PM
I've got an IPod Mini and love it.
:rollside:
It's also great for audio books, especially if you're taking a long drive by yourself, it really passes the time.
The "Master and Commander" series by Patrick O'brian is really good (the movie was just one of about 19 books), that was real boating....with canons and muskets and swords!!
I'm getting an IPod Nano for my g/f....
:rollside: :boxed: :220v:

Cole Trickle
12-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Did not know that. The batt. probably lasts longer because the nano isnt based off of a hard rive like the others....its actually a lfash drive. probably much more efficient on power consumprtion. and probably alot more reliable.
You still have hookups on Audio stuff?
I need a adapter for my Sony headunit in the boat so I can hook up the Ipod.

riverbound
12-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Yah, but they dont do Sony stuff. If your deck has an aux. input. all you need is a 2.5mm headphone jack to RCA cable. That you can get anywhere for less than $20 for a monster cable. If it needs any sort of adapter you need to get it from a Sony dealer.

ROZ
12-22-2005, 01:06 PM
You're going to need and RF adaptor, or a aux adaptor... Sony will n e v e r support Ipod..

Cole Trickle
12-22-2005, 01:44 PM
You're going to need and RF adaptor, or a aux adaptor... Sony will n e v e r support Ipod..
I think Pac makes one but not sure of the part number?
Roz do you have these? (Can you get them)
Thanks

Captain Dan
12-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Toss $399 and get 60 gig - double the space for $100 more....

Magic34
12-22-2005, 02:21 PM
This is where I just bought one. Free shipping and you can have it engraved with your name or whatever else in case it is a gift. That is free of charge as well. I did the apple online store becuase I thought the mfg would be the best place to buy from in case there are any issues with it.

Sportin' Wood
12-22-2005, 03:20 PM
I just got a 20 Gig one for $219 online. I know the 30 Gig is the "newer" model, but it's for a 13 year old and since the only thing she asked for for Christmas was a new disc man, I think she is going to be pretty stoked.
I think we are all going to miss when Roz leaves his company :)

riverbound
12-22-2005, 03:22 PM
I just got a 20 Gig one for $219 online. I know the 30 Gig is the "newer" model, but it's for a 13 year old and since the only thing she asked for for Christmas was a new disc man, I think she is going to be pretty stoked.
I think we are all going to miss when Roz leaves his company :)
F-Roz......He's an A-hole :)

al cole'holic
12-22-2005, 03:45 PM
...well I bought the 30gig, should have spent the extra on the 60 but after them noise cancelling head phones and charger it got up there...btw WalMart was $.60 cheaper on it than anyone else out there :)
Thanks for the input all!!

Wally_Gator
12-22-2005, 04:28 PM
One thing to consider....
iPod Nano 4 gb is a flash drive. No moving parts...
ipod video uses an internal hard drive.
They both have their places. There are issues with using the hard drive iPods where they are subjected to shock and vibration.
My 4gb nano holds more than 3 days of music and I don't have to worry about vibrations issues as that is the environment it will be in.

ROZ
12-22-2005, 04:48 PM
She'll be stoked for sure... My wife and I both put Hannah's play list on our Ipods so there's always one available for her to use.. She navigates the touch meuns better than me! ...lol ... Kids are pretty hip to this stuff for sure :)

JB in so cal
12-22-2005, 04:51 PM
F-Roz......He's an A-hole :)
Wow.
On a side note, did oyu know there's a vodka that Bevmo sells called effen!

ROZ
12-22-2005, 04:52 PM
One thing to consider....
iPod Nano 4 gb is a flash drive. No moving parts...
ipod video uses an internal hard drive.
Yup... It's a Toshiba hard drive... Apple recently secured enough mini HDD's from them to complete a run until 2010.... Now that's a big check... had to be over a bilion dollars...

Wally_Gator
12-22-2005, 04:52 PM
My two boys love theirs and I just hooked my neice up with hers...

Wally_Gator
12-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Yup... It's a Toshiba hard drive... Apple recently secured enough mini HDD's from them to complete a run until 2010.... Now that's a big check... had to be over a bilion dollars...
Contract or actual shipments.
I would assume that it is a contractual price and subject to shipment...
Still one hefty commitment.
And from what I saw today at the Apple store. They will use most of them..

ROZ
12-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Contract or actual shipments.
I would assume that it is a contractual price and subject to shipment...
Still one hefty commitment.
And from what I saw today at the Apple store. They will use most of them..
I don't know the parameters, but I know they're committed.... The company my brother does technical/engineering sales for mfg's parts in them....

al cole'holic
12-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Is there a way to connect to a buddy's computer and get all their songs on this iPod without it dumping your stuff and swapping the library out?? I have it plugged into his computer and it's asking if I want to swap it, which I don't, I want to add his library to mine...??

essexjet
12-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Is there a way to connect to a buddy's computer and get all their songs on this iPod without it dumping your stuff and swapping the library out?? I have it plugged into his computer and it's asking if I want to swap it, which I don't, I want to add his library to mine...??
Put his songs into a new folder and then up load the folder onto the ipod (like a portable hard drive) then plug in your ipod to your computer and under my computer open the folder and export to your itunes.
ipods can be used as external hard drives. I use mine to copy pictures from my friends compter (which is an apple) and upload onto my pc laptop.
http://www.uvm.edu/cit/iPod/?Page=external.html

al cole'holic
12-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Put his songs into a new folder and then up load the folder onto the ipod (like a portable hard drive) then plug in your ipod to your computer and under my computer open the folder and export to your itunes.
ipods can be used as external hard drives. I use mine to copy pictures from my friends compter (which is an apple) and upload onto my pc laptop.
http://www.uvm.edu/cit/iPod/?Page=external.html
So far, I exported a copy of his library to a folder on the desktop...my iPod is plugged in but does not show up as a drive under 'my computer'.
Thanks for the help essexjet!! :)

h2oski2fast
12-26-2005, 02:26 PM
So far, I exported a copy of his library to a folder on the desktop...my iPod is plugged in but does not show up as a drive under 'my computer'.
Thanks for the help essexjet!! :)
Easy, in Itunes right click on your Ipod in the directory/ library, or click on the Ipod options icon at the bottom right of the Itunes screen..... In the options check the radio button that coresponds with "manage playlists manually", then you can drag and drop his playlist into you Ipod.

al cole'holic
12-26-2005, 02:48 PM
...well, I got the folder on my iPod and put it on my computer desktop, and tried to import the list..it got all his artists but said it could not import cause the songs were not found...hmm..

h2oski2fast
12-26-2005, 03:05 PM
...well, I got the folder on my iPod and put it on my computer desktop, and tried to import the list..it got all his artists but said it could not import cause the songs were not found...hmm..
Did you get the songs off his hard drive, or just get his playlists. The play list is just the path that Itunes follows to find where the songs are on the computer. Sounds like you just got the playlists.

al cole'holic
12-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Did you get the songs off his hard drive, or just get his playlists. The play list is just the path that Itunes follows to find where the songs are on the computer. Sounds like you just got the playlists.
...what is the name of the folder iTunes keeps your songs in??

h2oski2fast
12-26-2005, 03:26 PM
...what is the name of the folder iTunes keeps your songs in??
I keep my songs in C:/......./My Documents/My Music

rvrhlic
12-26-2005, 10:46 PM
The Ipod is an MP3 player, you can play any Mp3's you have regarsdless of where you got them (legally or not) Just add the files to itunes.
Just like if you buy songs from iTunes you can only burn them a limited number of times that is a technical limitation. There is a way around this, just burn the CD one time and then rip (import) the CD using itunes. Assuming you have the importer setup to import as Mp3s you will have no technical limitations on using that file.
I burn all my itunes files once and then re-import as Mp3's then delete the m4p so that i have no dups.

Cs19
12-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Is there a way to trasfer all my songs from my home pc to my laptop and vice versa? Or do I need to use one computer for dowloading songs?
thanks

rvrhlic
12-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Is there a way to trasfer all my songs from my home pc to my laptop and vice versa? Or do I need to use one computer for dowloading songs?
thanks
if you have a router it is easy. Just share the drive on the pc and then you can access it from the laptop. As long as they are on the same router and one is not a member of a different doamin or work groupd you should be fine. Sometimes there is a problem with pulling files from the computer. When that happens you can setup a shared folder on the laptop ans push the files from the computer.

LUVNLIFE
12-28-2005, 04:48 AM
So is Itunes the way to go? Which sites are good ones to download from as far as good content and ease? The wife got me a Nano that I have to fill up and I've never checked into downloading sites before. Thanks

TRIMM MANN
12-28-2005, 04:40 PM
I got a Napster card with 15 free songs. Can I put them on my IPOD or does it have to go through iTunes?

mbrown2
12-28-2005, 04:43 PM
I got a Napster card with 15 free songs. Can I put them on my IPOD or does it have to go through iTunes?
Just download them to your computer from Napster. If they are in MP3 format, you can just add them via ITunes, sync the IPOD and then they are on the IPOD.

rvrhlic
12-28-2005, 04:49 PM
As far as I know you cannot use the ipod on Napster. I was just on the site and they do not list the ipod as a supported player. Since Napster does not give you mp3 but some sort of proprietary file type, you will not be able to just download the songs on Napster and put them into iTunes. You can however use napster to get the songs, burn them on a cd and re-import them using iTunes.
Luvin.... iTunes is by far the easiest to use with and ipod. there are other programs but not as simple to use with the ipod.

TRIMM MANN
12-28-2005, 04:53 PM
As far as I know you cannot use the ipod on Napster. I was just on the site and they do not list the ipod as a supported player. Since Napster does not give you mp3 but some sort of proprietary file type, you will not be able to just download the songs on Napster and put them into iTunes. You can however use napster to get the songs, burn them on a cd and re-import them using iTunes.
Luvin.... iTunes is by far the easiest to use with and ipod. there are other programs but not as simple to use with the ipod.
That's what I thought, just thought someone might now how get around it.

mbrown2
12-28-2005, 04:55 PM
That's what I thought, just thought someone might now how get around it.
You can get around by burning to CD if the propietary means will burn the file on to the CD in such a way that you can rip it back in MP3 format.

intense
12-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Okay another question, how can I kepp all my music on the IPOD only? I don't want to keep it on the computer.

h2oski2fast
12-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Okay another question, how can I kepp all my music on the IPOD only? I don't want to keep it on the computer.
Just make a play list that includes all the music in your library....... Then upload it to the Ipod (assuming you have a big enough pod). I like to have music backed up in case the computer or ipod fails, that way you dont lose all your music.

TRIMM MANN
12-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Another stupid question. I am going to be using the iPOD in my Suburban and boat. What is the best way to do it? I was thinking of getting that thing you plug into the headset jack and going through the radio station.
Any suggestions?

h2oski2fast
12-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Another stupid question. I am going to be using the iPOD in my Suburban and boat. What is the best way to do it? I was thinking of getting that thing you plug into the headset jack and going through the radio station.
Any suggestions?
For the SUb, they have an adapter (made by Peripheral Electronics) that will plug into the back of the radio, you can control the pod from the head unit. The way you are talking about, limits the sound quality to the quality of the tuner section of your head unit. They also just started making adapters for specific after market radios also.

Riverkid
12-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Just make a play list that includes all the music in your library....... Then upload it to the Ipod (assuming you have a big enough pod). I like to have music backed up in case the computer or ipod fails, that way you dont lose all your music.
In that case then, I think you need to back up all your music, on my computer... Any time D! :)

h2oski2fast
12-28-2005, 06:50 PM
In that case then, I think you need to back up all your music, on my computer... Any time D! :)
All 160gigs of it? You know I almost always have the juke box with me, it only has like 30gigs on it though.

Riverkid
12-28-2005, 07:28 PM
ALL of it. I'll buy one of those external hard drive gizmos... :)